Travelodge Hotel Regina

Hotels.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

More about Regina

Legislative BuildingLegislative Building

Female Mallard duck & a WilletFemale Mallard duck & a Willet

American Bison shedding their winter coatsAmerican Bison shedding their winter coats

#3101 and its entourage#3101 and its entourage

Nearly five hours to waste in Regina...what to do, what to do?

by Dizzle

Hey there;

I'm taking a Greyhound to Toronto, and my trip sees me stopping in Regina for nearly five hours.

So...the good question is...what to do?

This stopover is from 4:00pm to 8:50pm...that gives me plenty of time to spend, exploring, at least, the downtown core. What I'd probably want to find is a health club (like the YMCA) so that I can have a quick work out and shower...and maybe a quick bite to eat.

A coffee shop with wifi access would be great, or a cyber cafe, so that I can check my email, as well. Or an arcade with DDR, so that I can expend some extra energy.

Who knows? Even a coffee date just for the heck of it? Who's to say?

It's all good and fun, my planned trip is for the middle of August. I haven't nailed down a date yet, but that's forthcoming.

Thanks for reading, and thank you in advance for responding.

Yours sincerely,

Dizzle

Re: Nearly five hours to waste in Regina...what to do, what to do?

by Redlats

I'm no expert on Regina, but there is a museum downtown which I enjoyed, and walking around the legislative building which is a big park. The last time we drove through Regina on the way to the Mountie museum (which is a 20 minutes car ride from downtown, so not a good candidate), we passed the casino which is downtown I think.

The museum is about the natural and cultural history of Saskatchewan (stuff I like in small doses). I am sure you would be able to google Regina tourism to get details.

Re: Nearly five hours to waste in Regina...what to do, what to do?

by Camping_Girl

Hi Dizzle,

I lived in Regina for 13 years, so I think I can give you some advice.

The greyhound depot is right downtown (2041 Hamilton Street) and so is the YMCA. Here is the contact info for the Y:

2400 13 th Avenue Regina, SK S4P OV9 Phone (306) 757-9622 Fax (306) 525-5508

Basically, you head south from the bus depot to the first intersection, which is 13th avenue. Then go west (or right) to SMith Street, a distance of 4 blocks. This is where the YMCA is.

When you are finished at the Y, you could walk 3 blocks south and be in Wascana Park. The museum Redlats referred to is on the corner of College Ave & Albert St. I haven't been there in years, but it is a fairly good caliber. You will also be able to walk through the park to the shore of Wascana Lake and see the legislative buildings on the south shore of the lake.

Alternatively, there are some great bistros & restaurants in the Cathedral area, which is just west of Albert Street along 13th Avenue. The Cathedral Free House is one place that comes to mind where you could have a great meal and kill a couple of hours.

To get to Casino Regina you would walk north on Hamilton 3 blocks, to Saskatchewan Drive. You will see the casino to your right. The casino is styled along the lines of the Monte Carlo casinos, so it is very tastefully decorated. It is situated in the old train station and is a great piece of architecture, if you enjoy that type of thing. This is also a great place to eat and occasionally they have some great entertainment there as well.

I hope that helps with the planning. Feel free to email me if I can help further.

Cheers,

- CG

Travel Tips for Regina

B-o-r-i-n-g!

by SUSAMY

Wow, there is nothing exciting to do in Regina. It's a gorgeous city, and has all the potential in the world of being a fabulous destination... but if it weren't for the Casino, you could probably die of boredom. It's beautiful to walk around.

Saskatchewan Roughriders -Canadian Football League

by Jefie

I wasn't lucky enough to be in Regina during the football season but apparently the city goes pretty crazy when the Roughriders are playing so I highly recommend getting tickets to a game if you can (from June to November), especially if they're playing against my Montreal Alouettes ;o) ehm, thundersticks?!

Fort Qu’Appelle – fish and lake

by vtveen

Driving from Regina through Highway 10, we suddenly descended into the Qu’Appelle River Valley and reached the little village of Fort Qu’Appelle. These valleys are the ‘negative’ hills of Saskatchewan, which is not as flat as a lot of people think. Another proof: Fort Qu’Appelle offers during winter time down hill skiing !!

Fort Qu’Appelle is ‘surrounded’ by four lakes: Katepwa, Mission, Echo and Pasqua Lake and is one of the most popular destinations in South Saskatchewan for water sports and beach activities. The village itself offers all kinds of facilities, it has the Fort Qu’Appelle Museum, with the story of the history of the region, some galleries/artisans and a pottery. During the summer months every Saturday morning goes a Farmer’s Market.

On the South shore of Echo Lake ( 5 or 6 km’s from the village) lies the Saskatchewan Fish Culture Station. This fish hatchery raises fish from eggs to the adult stage, which are then distributed to various fish and lakes in the region. In the summer and during weekdays there are guided tours with free admission.

Directions: about 1 hour drive from Regina through Highway 10.

Steak House with a Greek flair!

by Bwana_Brown about Grekos' Restaurant & Steak House

Grekos' is a long-time favourite of many Regina residents - Sue and I were introduced to it in October, 2007 by our local friends, who we had first met while back-packing in Belize! We were both very impressed with both the service and the quality of the food. Here it was, a few months later and I was all alone on our 33rd wedding anniversary, so I decided to treat myself to a decent meal by making a return visit! A sudden snowsquall didn't slow me down at all and I was soon seated in an almost empty establishment on a mid-week early evening. Although Grekos' can serve up a variety of meals featuring steak, ribs, chicken and even seafood, I decided to stay with the meal that had impressed me the last time! Service was quick and I soon had a Greek Salad (part of my main course) to get me underway. It was a delicious combination (2nd photo) of lettuce, cucumber, black olive, tomatoes and Feta cheese served with a Greek dressing. Then it was on to my main course of a 6-ounce Filet Butterfly steak (US$21) served with Greek-style roasted potatoes, plump and juicy sauteed mushrooms as well as perfectly done Brocolli, carrots and yellow beans! The steak melted in my mouth and those mushrooms were almost as good by themselves. I had a couple of glasses of Franciscan Burgandy wine ($5 each) to wash the meal down and I left well satisfied with my decision!

Catch a parade at the RCMP depot

by Jefie

Visitors can watch the Sunset retreat ceremonies and the Sergeant Major's parade. The first one is a 30 minute ceremony centered around the lowering of the Canadian Flag, and the other one is a demonstration of the inspection of the troops, followed by a march through the Parade Square. Both feature the RCMP Cadet Band and Cadet Troops.

Comments