Westmark Klondike Inn

Booking.com Travelocity Ramada.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about Whitehorse

Spirit Lake, Yukon on the Klondike HighwaySpirit Lake, Yukon on the Klondike Highway

horrid picture of me but this is about the coffee!horrid picture of me but this is about the coffee!

Lake Lebarge can quickly have dangerous wavesLake Lebarge can quickly have dangerous waves

Abandoned steamboat on island in Yukon riverAbandoned steamboat on island in Yukon river

Transportation frrom airport

by duchelie

I would like to know if there are some public tranportation from the airport to
the certer of the city.
Cezanne
Quebec

Re: Transportation frrom airport

by Razorback17

Hi.

When I was in Whitehorse a couple of years ago, I didn't see any public transport at all.
However, rummaging on the net shows that there is actually a bus service, several times a day. Try http://ww3.whitehorse.ca/Features/Transit/BusSched.html

Mark.

Re: Transportation frrom airport

by VA_Dave

check out Whitehorse transit

Travel Tips for Whitehorse

Murals

by jamiesno

If you take the time to walk around most of downtown you will often come across murals painte on the buildings. They are great, you can almost be fooled.

If you are fooled it looks like you will just walk into the loading zones of some businesses.

But they really make the back of some old buildings look really neat.

History

by cobrioc

In 1898, the time of the great Gold Rush, Whitehorse became a temporary stopping point for prospectors on their way to the gold fields. Whitehorse was located on the head of navigation on the Yukon River, past 2 major obstacles on the river, Miles Canyon and the Whitehorse Rapids.

With the completion of the White Pass and Yukon Railway, linking Whitehorse with Skagway, Alaska, Whitehorse became a permanent settlement in 1900. Whitehorse saw a short copper boom that ended as soon as 1920. Later, in the 1920s and 1930s Whitehorse developed a reputation as an outfitting and takeoff base, with tourists coming to Whitehorse.

During WW II, Whitehorse played a major role as link between the north and south. The Alaska Highway was built and opened for the public after the war. This replaced the Yukon River as main transportation route. In 1953 the territorial capital was moved from Dawson City to Whitehorse.

Oddity - Exhibit A

by jamiesno

On my trip to Haines Junction we did get to see some odd sites, so I included them under local customs and tips. I have no explanations, I am sorry but they were enjoyable to come across!

Seen here are a small village's set of rules!

Whitehorse has a large...

by duanestorey

Whitehorse has a large population of native Canadians. I was lucky enough to meet several groups, and learned alot of their culture and beliefs. Elders are always treated with reverence, and are always looked after first. I met a friend Cheryl while volunteering at the Whitehorse Storytelling Festival, and although I only knew her for around a week after that, she invited me to her house to stay with her and her kids for the rest of the summer. Here's a picture of three of her kids, Rachel, Elizabeth and Greg.

Rent a canoe and paddle 435 miles to Dawson

by VA_Dave

Back in 1896, gold was discoverd in the Klondike near Dawson and thousands of folks known as the Stampeders made rafts near Whitehorse and let the river carry them North 345 miles to Whitehorse. I am told that today about 8,000 folks canoe this route every year, but we only saw a handful of people during our 12 day trip. There were a lot more bears and moose than people!

For more history of the Stampeders, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klondike_Gold_Rush We rented a canoe in Dawson for about $250 for the trip that takes about 2 weeks. When you reach Dawson, you drop the canoe off at a local hotel. We carried camping gear and gold panning equipment. We ate mostly military MREs (Meals Ready to Eat). Yum, yum! Especially the chocoate oatmeal cookies that came with our meal packs. When we got to Dawson, a local gold miner invited us to visit his claim in the Klondike, and we met most of the local miners at a midnight sun party on the longest days of the year, June 21. We even found a few flakes of gold!

Comments