North America Hotels

Our Members Say

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3722
BILTMORE HOTEL: NOT WORTH THE PRICE(S) – ASHEVILLE NC

I have to state up front that I don’t get this hotel. I just cannot recommend it. This is a modern, almost characterless place. It is marketed as being on the Biltmore Estate and this is where the story starts to change. The Biltmore Estate is massive and in the beginning it had hundreds of square miles of gardens and forest. Today it is still a huge 8,000 acre expanse and this hotel is in the grounds. In fact the best feature of the hotel is the view over the mountains. Just do not expect to see or get close to the world famous Biltmore House – unless you buy a ticket. Yes – you do not get to drive around the full estate just because you paid a minimum of $269 of a room. A single room. 2 people? You may want to consult your bank manager before you make reservations. You are looking at a little over $400 for most rooms! Seriously – this is just a rip-off. The hotel is very nice, but it’s far from the Palace they are asking you to pay for.

The rooms are ok. Nothing luxurious, just nice. They do have good beds, excellent toiletries and it is absolutely quiet. Fair enough, but at this price you could stay at several luxury hotels in Asheville – twice. Possible more. Like I said, I don’t get this place. My brother had his (3rd) wedding here and stays here a lot on business. I would rather stay at the historic and charming Grove Park Inn any day.

On the plus side they have a bar (amazingly without any charm at all), an outdoor pool (some months), some excellent gift shops and a modern gym. You can also walk outside from the bar and see the mountain I grew up on. When I was a child I went to school with the children of one of the estate’s caretakers.

My recommendation? Stay elsewhere and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway if you want to really see the mountains and scenery. You can stop at dozens of places and go hiking or take a picnic. It just is not worth it to stay here for the money they charge. And they just keep charging. Want a ‘guaranteed’ view – that’s an extra $50 minimum! Want to see the Biltmore House and Gardens – even from the outside – yes tickets will easily set you back more than an additional $100! Now you understand. Save your money and see the Biltmore House. Give the Biltmore Hotel a miss and save a lot of money.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 201 rooms and 9 suites set in beautiful woodlands
• NO access to, or even sight of, the Biltmore House unless you buy tickets
• Guaranteed views are an additional fee - starting at $50!
• Outdoor pool and hot tub (open 6am-10pm and closed completely in Winter)
• Small (oddly) outdoor seating area
• Library, fitness center, bar, restaurant
• A shocking lack of facilities given the prices

ROOMS:
• Nice décor supposedly based upon English and French manor houses
• Rooms are cleaned twice a day
• Great beds
• Complimentary bottled water, Coffee/Tea and daily newspaper
• Wi-Fi
• Bathrobe, slippers, great toiletries, mirrors and hairdryer
• Complimentary overnight shoeshine

BILTMORE HOTEL - ASHEVILLE, NC

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3722

QUALITY HOTEL DORVAL - MONTREAL: SO FAR YET SO FAR

I ended up here when Air Can decided to strand me overnight. The best thing I can say is that I had a chance to see one of my favourite VT members and that the room was excellent. In fact the staff were awesome, food great, bar was cool, the Jacuzzi did the trick, and the bed was amazing. It’s just that this hotel is a very expensive taxi ride into Montreal and it’s not that close to the airport. At least they have a free shuttle. If you want to see Montreal – this is the wrong hotel. Otherwise, it’s great.

I have to admit I only slept in my very comfortable bed for 1 hour as I was out and about, but it was a very good sleep. The rest of the room was awesome. Great furniture, TV, mini-bar and plenty of mirrors.

The bathroom was efficient and had a good shower (only) and some reasonable toiletries.

The best part of the hotel were the leisure facilities. There was a large outdoor pool, 2 indoor Jacuzzis and a modern gym. All quite good. They even have a water slide.

The restaurant and bar served excellent food and nice cold beers in ice cold glasses. Get in there!

Reception was great. They had their own daily newsletter, could not have been more helpful and knew everything. They also had an ATM machine.

Except for the location, this is a very good hotel for the money. It is absolutely quiet, the beds are great and the rooms are climate-controlled. A very nice hotel in a remote location.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Free shuttle service to Montreal Airport - 24 hours a day
• 159 rooms (48 have kitchenettes)
• Far away and very expensive to get to Montreal
• Secure, heated indoor car parking
• Heated outdoor pool, indoor fitness center, saunas and Jacuzzis (2)
• Jardins le Pavillon restaurant - breakfast, lunch and dinner
• "Zmaya" Bar & Lounge (pool tables and TV sports)
• 24-hour Laundromat facilities or same-day dry cleaning service

ROOMS:
• Climate controlled
• Great beds
• Quiet, well decorated, modern
• Free high speed Wi-Fi
• Rooms for handicapped and hearing-impaired guests
• Modern bathrooms, but a bit basic
• Large TV with lots of channels

• Related to: Family Travel, Work Abroad, Road Trip
  • Written May 6, 2014

QUALITY HOTEL DORVAL - MONTREAL

• Madasabull profile photo Madasabull
  • Reviews: 232

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

La Quinta: We stayed in La Quinta hotels for most nights

While doing the road trip for 3 weeks on the west coast, we staying in all kinds of places. We tried to keep our nights in hotels under $70 dollars for the 2 of us, but sometime we went over because we were either late at night, or because there simply wasn’t another vacant option.

Most of the time though, we averaged around the £50 - £60 dollar mark. We stayed in a La Quinta Inn and Suites one night, and from then on, we just had to keep looking for these hotels because they were roomy, the bed was great, and the staff were cool too. There were exceptions of course, but very few La Quinta hotels with bad staff, we felt.

If you join La Quinta online, you are rewarded with a free night for every 10 nights you stay, so for us, that was yet another bonus.

On our 6 week road trip around the Southern States, we found that the majority of La Quinta Inns were not great and even really poor in some places like Galveston. The La Quinta Inn and Suites were better, but none seem to be of the standard we had on the West Coast. Strange I know, but true.

If we were on the West Coast again, we would stay in La Quinta Inns and Inn and Suites, but if we were back in the Southern States, we would only stay in La Quinta Inn and Suites, and not just the standard La Quinta Inn’s.

We may even skip La Quinta in the South all together though, maybe.

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written October 5, 2013

• pianorick profile photo pianorick

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

super 8: twlite zone

This was THE worse room I ever stayed in! No towels , no washclothes, the air conditioner leaked, the tv remote was broke, no coffee pot for the coffee maker, bad swithch in the bathroom.When I was checking in the lady next to me had been there two hours.Employees running around with no shoes on and getting lunch orders , while people stood waiting for rooms.The lady that was checking you in would leave the desk to clean rooms or go to the office, SO unproffesional!!Three couples left. It was like being in the Twilte Zone!There werea lot more to write about but it would take another page!
Its a shame that this is the only hotel to choose from to stay at, so you put up with all the flaws or sleep in your car. They need a real manager/owner to run the hotel in a profesional way!!

• Related to: Family Travel, Travel with Pets, Cycling
  • Written May 31, 2011

• clites56 profile photo clites56

Chateau: Lake Lousie

Hello I know htat htis may maybe a lii\ttle late but I am going to respond to your ad. I have travelled across North America as a class A driver and as a toueist. I have lived in BC , Albeta Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and many states in the US. I am a dual citizen of both countries. I have all the proper documents incvluding my Passport pass card. Very few have applied for it but I needed to renew my passspaort so I decided to to do all. I have driven tractor trailers from A trains to B. I am semi retired and love to travel. I have been alll over Europe and this country. If you are still looking for someone contact me at mclites@live.com , or mpouliot649@hotmail.com. Thank you Michael Clites

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written December 27, 2008

• littleman profile photo littleman
  • Reviews: 133

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Youth Hostel Association

When travelling around North America i stayed mainly in hostels.As i travelled to more out of the way locations,i found these to be great value as some where private rooms with double beds, t.v etc.I would recommend this as an affordable option when travelling.Do not forget to become a member before you travel.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written September 15, 2008

• MicrotelTifton profile photo MicrotelTifton

Hotel / Motel Accomodations: Tifton Georgia Best Overnight stay

I stop over at this hotel called Microtel Inn & Suites, off Interstate 75, exit 62 . Theire rates are very reasonable (listed in 2 coupon books). Rooms are always clean, you get free brkfst, wifi, free computer access, gym and gorgeous lobby. Bedding is brand new. its midpoint if you driving from Midwest states or Florida. There is plenty of praking for bus , trucks and tour groups.
Microtel Inn & Suites, 196 S Virginia Ave, Tifton, GA 31794
(229) 387-0112 email microteltifton@gmail.com

Pool and gym were wonderful. Computer access came handy

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Business Travel, Seniors, Disabilities
  • Written December 11, 2007

Brreakfast area

• supercarys profile photo supercarys
  • Reviews: 172

Motel 6, Super 8 etc: Cheaper accommodation

If you're travelling with others the cheapest form of accommodation may not be a hostel. Try bargaining with the desk clerk at the motel you go to and tell them that you are backpacking / a student / travelling and ask if they have a cheaper room or if they could take anything off the cost of the room for you. You will be surprised how much cheaper you can get the room. (this will almost certainly not work if you have pre booked) HINT! The person with the most experience with bargaining should go in alone and look worried when they tell you how much the cheapest room is. It helps a lot if you have small notes.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

Surprises Await Some Who Book Package Deals: Buying an Air/Hotel Package Online

LAB REPORT:
Package Deals To Europe

RESEARCH QUESTION:
Are those too-good-to-be-true air/hotel packages to Europe, well, too good to be true? You know the ones -- cheap deals to European capitals that pop up on Internet discount sites like Travel Zoo (www.travelzoo.com) and Smarter Living (www.smarterliving.com), bundling air and hotel costs into one preposterously low total. When a $499 six-night summer trip to London recently appeared on Go-Today.com, it seemed too cheap not to go. The trip would have cost at least $1,150 if purchased a la carte: Airfare was running about $750, and a bare-bones hotel would have added at least another $400.

Finger poised to click, we wondered: What's the catch? Was it really possible to visit London for $499 without sacrificing convenience and personal safety, not to mention our dignity?

METHODOLOGY:
In mid-April, we clicked on Go-Today's "London Supersale," which included round-trip airfare to London Heathrow and six nights' hotel for $499 per person double, for travel in mid-July. The price was good for travel on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (a surcharge applied for other days). Luckily, we were traveling with a friend: As with most package deals, this trip was priced on a per-person-double basis, and a solo traveler would have had to pay a $300 supplement.

FIRST EYE-OPENER:
Trips must be booked entirely online. If you want to talk to an actual person, that's another $20. And once we paid for the package, there were no refunds or exchanges. The company recommends buying trip cancellation insurance with your package, because you can't add it after the fact, but we decided to live dangerously. Note: We felt comfortable using Go-Today, in business for 13 years. But if you're unsure about a travel provider, check with the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org) to ensure there's not a pattern of complaints against the company. Continued below ....

SECOND EYE-OPENER:
Watch out for extra charges -- some mandatory, some optional. Ours quickly added up:

$100 more to fly out of the Washington area.....

$115 in government taxes and airport fees.

$10 for mandatory FedEx delivery of e-tickets and hotel voucher.

$65 for a hotel upgrade, since Go-Today's budget choices seemed a bit too basic for anyone past the backpacker stage. It was still an incredible deal: We were paying $64 a night for a three-star room that was going for $172 a night on Hotels.com.

Final total: $789 per person.

RESULTS:
You knew there was a catch.

It wasn't the ticket delivery, which can be dicey with some discounters who work on razor-thin margins. Our e-tickets and hotel voucher arrived in our mailbox within days of purchase.

It wasn't the airlines. We flew brand-name carriers: United and Lufthansa.

It wasn't the hotel. True, our hotel room was small with no air conditioning, but the neighborhood was safe and convenient, the room spotless and the staff friendly. We'd stay there again.

No, the catch was a return-trip routing that not only required a connection, but took us from London to Dulles via Frankfurt, requiring a 4 a.m. wakeup call and, with layover time, adding more than six hours (!) to our journey. We weren't told this before booking -- only after we paid in full and received e-mail confirmation. Go-Today manager Carmen Costello later explained that while the company works with vendors to get the best routing available, it depends on space available. The sale we clicked on, she said, resulted in more than 1,000 bookings in 24 hours, and United, the company's carrier on that trip, sold out of cheap seats. If Lufthansa hadn't agreed to provide a seat from Frankfurt at Go-Today's price, "we would have had to cancel you."

CONCLUSION:
The deal was worth it, offering excellent value with no sacrifice in safety or comfort. In fact, unless staying in a specific hotel is important to you, we're hard-pressed to find a reason not to use these packages.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 1, 2004
Tip Photo

• sarahreynold profile photo sarahreynold
  • Reviews: 279

Art Deco district of Miami: Miami Art Deco Hotels

There is an amazing choice of real classic style hotels in theis area. The pastel shades mixed with vibrant lighting, and they all seem to provide a very personal and stylish service, great places to stay in Miami.

Unique designs, stylish

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Beaches, Architecture
  • Written April 9, 2004

Ocean Five

• stephbud profile photo stephbud

Hotel Britton (Best Western): Charming Secret in San Fran's SOMA

This small, charming, affordable little hotel is located VERY conveniently in the South of Market area of San Francisco. 1 block from the BART and within walking distance to SFMOMA (SF Museum of Mod. Art). While the room was small (which I like), it had a quaint European feel. Windows open for a great breeze and ceiling fans in the room. Pizza place next door serves a free glass of wine or beer in the afternoon to hotel guests. Desk staff friendly and helpful. They are owned by Best Western as are several hotels in that block so if Britton doesn't have a service (such as larger safes at the front desk), you can take advantage of the pricer hotels across the street. Only complaint: the bass sound from the Pizza Place in the afternoon. But, when asked, they turned it down; no prob.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Museum Visits, Budget Travel
  • Written August 10, 2003

• acemj profile photo acemj
  • Reviews: 4857

Charlotte, North Carolina: My former hometown

If you travel to the southeastern part of the United States and you decide to stop in Charlotte, I'd be happy to offer you whatever advice I can. I moved up to Philadelphia in the summer of 2004, but I still have a lot of friends down there and plan to visit often.

• Written April 15, 2003

• DOUGALSMUM profile photo DOUGALSMUM
  • Reviews: 111
FAIRMONT CHATEAU LAKE LOUISE: IT HAS TO BE THE CHATEAU

THE CHATEAU"S STANDARDS MAY HAVE DROPPED SINCE IT WAS TAKEN OVER BY THE FAIRMONT HOTEL CHAIN, BUT IT IS STILL ONE OF THE BEST HOTELS IN CANADA, WITH A SITUATION THAT IS UNSURPASSED.
THE CHATEAU SITS RIGHT ON THE LAKE THAT GIVES IT IT"S NAME, AMONGST A FOREST OF PINES THAT HIDE MILES OF HIKING TRAILS, NORDIC SKI TRAILS AND BACKCOUNTRY FOR ALL SORTS OF ACTIVITIES. THE LAKE PROVIDES FOR ICE-SKATING, CURLING AND HORSE SLEIGH RIDES.
INSIDE THE HOTEL IS A WARM, FRIENDLY BUT LUXURIOUS WELCOME, WITH A GREAT CHOICE OF RESTAURANTS, BARS AND SHOPS TO SPEND YOUR TIME IN IF YOU EVER GET TIRED OF LOOKING AT THE MAGNIFICENT VIEWS.
THE HOTEL IS VIRTUALLY A MINI TOWN-ANYTHING YOU NEED CAN BE PROVIDED IN THE HOTEL OR ITS SURROUNDINGS. THERE ARE 488 ROOMS OF VARYING STANDARDS OF LUXURY AND SIZE FROM A STANDARD MOUNTAIN VIEW TWIN ROOM TO THE LAKESIDE CROWN SUITE WITH SPIRAL STAIRCASE AND TWO BATHROOMS (ONE WITH JACUZZI).ALL TYPES OF ROOM COME WITH EITHER MOUNTAIN VIEW OR LAKE VIEW AT A SUPPLEMENT-PAY THE SUPPLEMENT FOR THE LAKESIDE ROOM, ITS NOT EVERYDAY THAT YOU GET A CHANCE TO WAKEUP LOOKING AT ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS (AND BEAUTIFUL) SPOTS IN CANADA.

VISIT IN LATE JANUARY AND YOU WILL HAVE THE ADDED BONUS OF SEEING THE HOTEL GROUNDS STUDDED WITH MAGNIFICENT ICE-SCULPTURES(THE WORLD ICE-CARVING CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE HELD HERE EVERY JANUARY). THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN BEING THE ICE CASTLE BUILT ON THE LAKE THAT YOU CAN SKATE AROUND.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written September 7, 2002
Tip Photo

the victoria glacier, lake louise and the chateau

• stuffitinme profile photo stuffitinme
  • Reviews: 16

Well, I usually crash on a...

Well, I usually crash on a friends floor! But is you can't do that, there are sooooo many hotels to choose from. As cheap as Hostels and as expensive as the Royal York, there are tons in between. I'm sure a guide book or web site of Toronto can help you out better than I

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written September 2, 2002

• kb0wzh profile photo kb0wzh
  • Reviews: 6
Sorry to say there is not much...

Sorry to say there is not much in Nebraska that would be thought of as notable lodging. We are with a time share, and we have use of lodging around the world. The place I would recomend would be any place in Las Vegas.
In the West or south west you will spend about $65 to $125 per night. That would be for a real nice place.

Nearby to everything!!!!