Donceles 95, Mexico City, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 06020, Mexico

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo

200 metres from the Cathedrak

perfect location, perfect service.
    My room was pretty new, clean, huge flat screem, immaculate new marble bathroom.

Unique Quality: there is a great restaurant which cooks wonderful mexican breakfasts (including in the prices of overnightstay) and also great margaritas at night

it is close to the zocalo and mostly to 2 youth hostels, where you can buy cheaper tours.
    Also the subway is about 300 metres from here and will take you basically anywhere.
    with 2 changes it took me 45 minutes to get to the airport from Zocalo subway station, for AS CHEAP AS 15 CENTS OF EURO!!!

Directions: coming from zocalo square, you will meet the hostel by the square, on your left there is a street keep walking and make the first right at the traffic light. (just opposite of 7eleven)
    then walk 20 meters on your right hand side.

• Superb Location, Good Value, Nice Staff

that was the best deal ever. i really liked the hotel and enjoyed my stay in here. staff were friendly and helpful, spoke both english and spanish though i always preferred they'd speak in spanish with me. the location is in the heart of zocalo and just 10 minutes away from the metro station and all other amenities. the rooms are clean and the bathroom is spacious, shower only.

the room rental is really good for such a location and quality. i would have stayed more if i knew but i had to leave because my vacation came to an end!

they offer discount if you pay in cash - an interesting service!

a cute note, my stay coincided with the week prior to the famous Day of the Dead. i found a little corner where they had a beautiful decoration of the Mayan god of death, made of food and spice, very nice.

i would very much go back and stay at this hotel next time i'm in mexico city

Unique Quality: - travel desk and tour groups
    - restaurant
    - the only minor thing is no air-conditioning

• nancyw's Profile Photo

Great value/location!

When I booked a suite at this highly recommended hotel, I had no idea how lucky I was. The hotel is located just two blocks from the Zocalo. While I was there, Mexico was playing Argentina in the World Cup, so in addition to the normal crowds in the area, thousands more were crowded into the giant plaza to watch the game.

My "suite" was very clean and well-maintained, as was the rest of the hotel. The room was large, with a king-sized bed, couch and coffee table. The best part was the jacuzzi tub in the large bathroom. I was worried about no air-conditioning, given the 80 degree temperature, but the window allowed a breeze and the ceiling fan worked well.

The restaurant serves ok food, very quickly at a reasonable price. The front desk ladies weren't particularly friendly, but efficient. The bellmen, on the other hand, were very friendly and helpful. There are two internet enabled computers in the lobby for a charge of $1 USD for 15 minutes.

Unique Quality: Great location and price, located in an area where on weekends you can wander for blocks shopping at the street vendors, or take in the historic sites only two blocks away.

The photos on the hotel website are an accurate portrayal of the hotel.

Directions: Located on Donceles, 1/2 block from Brasil.

• krisfromthevalley's Profile Photo

Great bargain

Stayed at Hotel Catedral for three nights. At first we couldn't find it...bc it was on the otherside of the hostel. But the lobby area is very nice. Has internet/restaurant, great bellhops. They were very, very helpful. They let us know where to go..., they changed our American dollars to pesos, and overall did a great job.

Walls are thin, but the room is a good size. It is half of what the Majestic costs, which is a plus.

Unique Quality: On the back side of the cathedral. Very close to the square and area where there are a lot of vendors.

Directions: Zocalo, Centro Historico

• acemj's Profile Photo

I was happy!

I stayed at the Hotel Catedral for four nights and enjoyed my stay. Next time I'm in Mexico City, I'm not sure that I'll stay in this area, but if I do, the Hotel Catedral is a great choice. Mexico City is unlike a lot of cities in that the downtown area isn't necessarily the best place for nightlife and restaurants. However, the subway is only a couple of blocks from the hotel, so it's easy enough to get around from here.

The staff is very friendly (Luis the bellboy was especially helpful with advice on area attractions, etc.). They will be happy to recommend restaurants, arrange excursions (there is an in-house travel agency), call you a cab or assist with making calls, language difficulties or whatever you need. They have internet access in the lobby and a restaurant on-site as well as a bar ("El Retiro").

Unique Quality: My room single room was comfortable and quiet (click on the picture to see another picture of the room). The king-sized bed was very firm which some people may not like, but I can sleep on anything, so it didn't bother me. The showers are large with great water pressure and plenty of hot water and they provide the soap, shampoo and conditioner. There is cable TV (but no remote), but there are no safes in the room. You can store valuables at the front desk, which does have a safe.

My room was 402.99 pesos per night (under $40, but with tax and possibly some incidentals, you should allow for around $40 USD per night). There is also a 10% discount if you pay in cash.

Directions: One block behind the Cathedral on Donceles

• HenryB's Profile Photo

A VERY NICE PLACE TO STAY

Before we got there we were hoping that it was not going to be a disapoinment. It surprised us. It is a very nice clean hotel. The people working there were friendly and helpful ( it helps to know the language). The only "negative" which was not a big thing, but they don't have AC. But Mexico City gets fresh at night. Next to the hotel there is a brother- sister who cook empanadas/ quesadillas very authentic mexican food. Talking to a local about the hotel's restaurant told me that the food was very good. Even better than the Azulejos. A very centric place, just a few steps from the Zocalo. Beware of taxi fare to the airport. The fair is 100 pesos intead of something higher (130 pesos which we paid). Overall, I recomend this hotel for your money. I will stay there next time.

Unique Quality: It had a nice view toward Docelles street. The other side faces the Cathedral however it is not a great view. Ask employees to show a room until you get the one you like because each room is a little different. A plus feature, good drinking purified water in the rooms.

Directions: a few steps to Zocalo. Behind La Cathedral

• JoanneR46's Profile Photo

Love This Hotel

Stayed in this wonderful hotel in the heart of Zocalo for 8 nights. Love the 7th floor balcony overlooking the Catedral area where one can sit at night and look at the city's skyline.

I would stay there again and again. It is located on calla Donceles a very buzy street where the flea markets are ongoing. My photo was taken around the corner from the hotel. I enjoyed the hub bub. Noisy as it is in the daytime, very quiet at night. Except Saturday night when one could hear music from some local disco. Didn't bother me at all.

Unique Quality: Exceptionally clean, wonderful service, very friendly staff. I really enjoyed the food in their restaurant and though tried many more expensive ones, I would rate the hotel one high. The hotel desk found a great taxi driver who took me to see Frida Kahlo's home at a very reasonable rate. I had used before to go to the art museum.

Directions: Zocalo, behind the Catedral.

• shouvik's Profile Photo

A great bang for your peso

This was a great find. Located behind the zocalo (not to be confused with the hoStel catedral, a Youth Hostel). The $40/night for a matrimonial room was great for a hotel that is clean, good service, aqua purifica piped to each room (separate tap) and a decent restaurant that we used for days we were too lazy to go out to explore new cuisine locale. They offer a free safe deposit service, and the lobby has internet for a low fee (I never tried it, so don't know how much). The lobby also has a tourist agency, for tixs, excurions etc, if you so choose. Doesn't open out to a great street, but I have walked back at 12:30 at night, and no signs of trouble.

Unique Quality: There is a terrace, with a view of the back of the catedral. I guess they used to have a bar on it, but shut it down. It's a nice place to take up a bottle, and relax. You can hear the sounds of the Zocalo, real nice during Christmas.

Directions: Zocalo - Historic Center

• Great, cheap hotel in downtown area.

This hotel was great. Perfectly clean, en-suite bathrooms,room service, bar/restaurant downstairs (albeit the deadest bar in the city!), nice and helpful staff (though they do not all speak english - well it is a spanish speaking country - i s'pose that might explain it ;) purified water in the room, ice on each floor .... complaints .... my only complaint was that the waiters in the restaurant were a bit pushy (they all want you to sit at their areas), and the food was not great, but hey, you can't have EVERYTHING!

Unique Quality: I took a room with a balcony (you get a choice of balcony or a cathedral view). It has a beautiful view, especially at night - a panorama of the outskirts of the city, a beautiful domed church in the foreground, and the mountains in the background. Fab!

Directions: Downtown area. Just off the main square (Zocalo) and behind the cathedral.

• melosh's Profile Photo

A Great Place in Central Mexico City

La Catedral used to be a favorite hotel for middle class Mexican businessmen, their families, and knowledgeable travellers. The rooms have been upgraded to modern luxury and the prices have increased. It is a block behind the Cathedral on Doncelles and the rooms have no significant views but you can see something by going to the top of the hotel. It will still cost less than $60 for a double. It has a convenient little restaurant on the first floor. The clientel is changing due to cost of the luxury rooms.

Unique Quality: The rooms are now luxurious modern clean.

Directions: One block behind the back of the cathedral.

• lucyguajardo's Profile Photo

The Catedral Hotel (Hotel...

The Catedral Hotel (Hotel Catedral) is a good option if you want a good place. Is not expensive. Is agood option too if your principal objetive is visit the Zocalo, Catedral and Asteca's ruins.

Unique Quality: Good Services, Restaurant.

More about Hotel Catedral

Help needed ASAP: What To Do NEXT Monday

by bronxbomber

Since I will be arriving at midnight next Sunday, I wonder what is the best plan for Monday. I notice that just about all museums are closed, and I understand Day #1 in DF should not be too strenuous. We will be staying at the Zocalo (Hotel Catedral). Any suggestions? I'm looking forward to your replies, as I've seen terrific ideas in this forum.

Also, is there any source IN ENGLISH for information about what is going on in the city- free concerts, outdoor shows, etc? Have not been successful on line.

Thanks in advance!

by Manyana

i stayed at the same hotel:D

zocalo is a very vibrant area during the day. but quiet (though safe) in the evenings.

on a monday,
1- you could either take the bus city tour, the stop is just at the zocalo. you can hop on and off for the whole day.
2-Or you could walk to the Almeda Park and Ballas de Artes (palace of arts), where they host the biggest concerts of entire mexico.
3- or have a day tour to Teotihuacan pyramids, Guadalupe Shrine, Tres Calturas.

you can find guides in english at the hotel that you'll be staying at. staff are very friendly. they also arrange for day tours.

hope this helps...believe me you'll love mexico. i was there for 4 or 5 days after a two-week visit to san francisco. i fell in love with it, and everyone spoke spanish, that was a boost up:D

cheers, a:^)

by melosh

Government museums (including Chapultapec Palace) are closed but not other museums and not the archeologic sites. You could use this day to go out to the Toltec pyramids at Teotihuacan, go to the floating gardens or just take it easy in Mexico City visiting churches and parks. There are lots of special areas to see.

You will probably be handed a free Greylines booklet at the airport that may give you some ideas in English Most hotels will have copies of a monthy English visitors guide magazine. You might also find something in the English International Herald.

I think I have seen several theater sites in English for Mexico City, and seem to remember a calender with listing of free shows but it does not seem that I have saved the address. It could be that they were in Spanish. I will make a quick search today and send a followup if successful in the next few minutes. good luck.

by bronxbomber

Thanks for your advice. I'm a bit reluctant to plan on the pyramids, since everything I've read indicates we might need to adjust to altitude before we trk out there. The turist bus seems like a good idea, and I'll check on other museums also.

Comments