Hotel Hostal Casantica

Costs 65% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Mexico City

Xmas lights inside Coyoacan churchXmas lights inside Coyoacan church

xochimilcoxochimilco

Konditori Restaurant - Poblano/Huitlacoche SoupKonditori Restaurant - Poblano/Huitlacoche Soup

Diego & Frida in National PalaceDiego & Frida in National Palace

Cooper Canyon train?

by atana

I was wondering if the train that does the crossing from Chihuahua to Los Mochis is reserved only for tourist or mexican as well, because when I checked the price of the Economic train, I was stunned by the price so expensive!!!!
$726 !!!!!!!

by sjekie

These are Mexican pesos. They use the same sign as for USD, what is more than f...g confusing.

Enjoy your trip!

Greg

by mcgarrg&j

726 pesos is about 73 US dollars

by atana

by ridermirv

Mexico is not like Cuba, it's a free country. Their citizens can do anything a tourist can. There wouldn't be a train, or anything else, reserved for foreign tourist only.

by Laura_Mexico

Just to confirm what they have already said: of course this train and EVERYTHING in this country is open and available for everyone, whether they are domestic or foreign tourists..... as long as they can pay for it anyone can buy a ticket to ride the train!!!! 73 USD isn't that outrageous (maybe a bit high for Mexican standards, but it's still affordable) and I have heard that the journey is very much worth the money. In any case, as much as you may think this isn't the case, there are many wealthy people in Mexico who would be able to afford this kind of trip even if the price were expressed in USD.

Travel Tips for Mexico City

The sheer size of the city is...

by Pierre_Rouss

The sheer size of the city is incredible. You can't imagine it before you see it. The city is built in a kind of bowl shaped valley with houses and roads covering every square feet for miles and miles.
This bowl shaped valley creates problems though; the pollution stays inside suffocating the inhabitants and tourists of course. Arriving from the air.
Usually, when arriving in a city by plane, you start to see the suburbs, then the density increases and you say to yourself 'we must be arriving soon'.
Arriving in Mexico City, you see the suburbs, the density increases, BUT it still takes you half an hour before the plane starts its descent!!!Breathtaking!

Pole dancers

by Jim_Eliason

In front of the Museo Nacional de Antropologia there is a daily demonstration of Voladores, an ancianet tradition of "flying" dance. the dancers hang from ropes that are wrapped around a pole then let go to send themselves flying around the pole util the ropes fully unwind.

What to wear????

by malianrob

I was told that what we wear would affect the way we will be treated so I tried to look nice but after a while I cared alot more about comfort. We were doing ALOT of walking so I couldnt take my boats anymore! On my last day you can see from my pictures I said "the heck with everything!" I put on my sweats. And guess what, people still treated me fine! I forgot my comfortable hiking shoes which would have come in handy at the Ruins of Teotihuacan. I broughtsome nice boats that goes great with my jeans. Comfortable, casual yet dressy enough to go out on the town. You can bring your own stuff or purchase your toiletries here,as well as medicalsupplies. Mexico City is a BIG city and they have everything you can think of. I brought my own camera equipment and laptop and memory sticks butyou can also find all these things here. I am not sure about prices because I didnt purchase anything like this here but I saw camera equip. everywhere. Bring a umbrella depending on what time of year it is. We came in the supposedly rainny season and it really didnt rain toomuch at all. Actually it only rainned one day really hard for about an hour and that was it. I also brought a few scarfs because at night it did tend to get a bit chilly.
Before I went to Mexico City I looked online to see about the weather to figure out how to pack. I also contacted VT members that live in the area to get more info. I didnt want to bring a bunch of things that I wasnt going to use, especially if I had a pay $25 for a second luggage. We flew on Alaska Airlines and your first checked in bag is free,the second is $25. So I made sure I put everything in one bag.

Live music, drinking, and dancing

by AprilT

Boomers is a great bar with live rock music. It's in the town of Cuautitlan-Izcalli. Everyone just likes to have a good time. The great thing about the people there is that they just like to have fun and they'll dance with you just to dance. The music is great too, great rock en espanol!

They make it easy for you here...

by morgane1692 about Basilica of Guadaloupe religious articles shop

...if you ever think about performing your own Mass. A few years ago, I brought back some holy water from Lourdes. This would've been the perfect accompaniment to that, a bag of these giant Communion wafers for my friend Mary Ann at work. Awww nuts, I only realized the genius combo *after* I returned to DC.

Comments