Maria Cristina

Rio Lerma 31, Col. Cuauhtemoc, Mexico City, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 06500, Mexico

• Daniel_Williams's Profile Photo

Maria Cristina Classy & Comfortable at Good Price

My hotel, the Hotel Maria Cristina, was comfortable, classy and pretty with a courtyard, marble staircase and well-planned Nativity Scene. I thought for the quality of the housekeeping and rooms that the 570 pesos a night was extremely reasonable.

There was an attached restaurant with a good breakfast. The Maria Cristina is well-situated for exploring the city, only 2 minutes from the Paseo de la Reforma on foot and about a 12 minute-walk to Insurgentes Metro, from which one can zip off to other Mexico City sites.

Directions: near Monumento de Cuauhtemoc on Paseo de la Reforma

More about Maria Cristina

Arriving in Mexico City for the First time

by Daniel_Williams

"First Impressions of Mexico City"

I was a bit intimidated arriving at the Terminal del Norte (for autobuses) in Mexico City, my introduction to el DF. I knew from Monterrey to go to the TAQUILLA to get tickets to ride on the Taxis Seguros. Walking outside, I was a little confused at first since there were 10 numbered lineups with about 4-6 people waiting in each; at first I thought the numbers were for the various zones... I was going to Zone 3, so I waited in Line 3. Then I saw the efficiency of the system; to move passengers as quickly as possible, 10 taxis were let in at a time, passengers were let in to the taxis, and then the 10 taxis would depart, allowing the next group of 10 to come in. My "Line 3" had nothing to do with zones but rather that I would be getting in the 3rd taxi of the group of 10.

The next morning (Dec 31st), I discovered how incredibly well-situated I was at the Hotel Maria Cristina, only 1 block from the Paseo de la Reforma and within 10 minutes walking distance of the Zona Rosa. Walking to the Paseo de la Reforma, I could not believe how beautiful this grand boulevard was, what with the Monumento Cuauhtemoc and the glorieta Monumento de la Independencia. I felt almost transported to Paris here except that the boulevard was lined with palms and ornately-sculpted Nativity scenes. Looking up at the beautiful blue skies surrounding me, the grandeur of the boulevard and my general comfort level as a pedestrian, I felt almost angry at the widespread preconception of *crime and pollution*, which are the only words some people had to say when I told them I was going to Mexico City.

Hotel in Zona Rosa

by glenn57

Can anyone recommend a quiet hotel in the Zona Rosa that is under $60 per night (for a single room, one person) ?

RE: Hotel in Zona Rosa

by loboviejo

Oi Glenn,

One of the places that I used to stay at in not quite in the Zona Rosa, but close enough. Check out the Hotel Maria Cristina, Rio Lerma 31. It is an older place, but still rather nice....for around $50 a night. Have a good trip!

JAC