The Red Tree House

Culiacan 6, Colonia Condesa, Mexico City, Mexico

More about The Red Tree House

Roof top suite is a treat!

by TripAdvisor Member Traveling3SanJose_Ca

My husband, 10 yr old son and I felt very comfortable
in this perfectly located B&B in the Condesa
neighborhood. Stroll to a tranquil fountain around the
corner -- it's surrounded by eateries. Walk a few more
blocks to find the lovely Parque Mexico. Jorge, the
innkeeper, took care of us like family. We stayed in
the expansive and modern suite at the top of the B&B
decorated with local artwork and lots of greenery on
our private roof patio. Keep the address handy -- our
taxi drivers were not too familiar with this street.

Hospitality Plus+++

by TripAdvisor Member grandol

My wife, a long time friend from Italy and I, made our first trip to Mexico City. We couldn't have picked a better place to spend seven days. Perfectly located in the quiet upscale Condesa neighborhood but oh so close to all the excitement and adventure the city has to offer.

Jorge and Craig were the perfect hosts and made us feel like great old friends and we felt as though we were staying with good friends not at a B&B.

The accommodations were very clean and comfortable with all the touches of home, even "Abril", their very friendly dog.

"The Red Tree House" will be our choice for all future visits to Mexico City and a personal recommendation to friends.

Absolutely the best!

by TripAdvisor Member emory06

I've stayed at the Red Tree House 4 times and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Mexico City. Even when traveling through the rest of Mexico I always compare other inns to this place. Nothing matches the great neighborhood, comfort, and helpful staff. The house is wonderful but the hosts are what really make each stay perfect.

Imagine you have some great friends with a cool house in DF

by TripAdvisor Member NB1Seattle

TA doens't need one more rave about the Red Tree, but I just had to add my thoughts about what makes the place so special.

We wished we could stay longer. Jorge and Craig are warm but casual hosts - just like staying with friends. Abril, the golden lab is a doll, so well-behaved. The house is colorful and decorated in a fun and personal way.

Both night we were there we drank wine with our hosts and other guests and friends who had dropped by. Great people seem to be drawn to the Red Tree as the conversation was intelligent and ecclectic. We had representation from France, England, Mexico, US, and Iran by way of Madrid. Politic, world events, books, movies, international stereotypes - you name it, free-ranging discourse.

Jorge arranged a wonderful driver for us to take us to Teotihuacan. Enrique was fabulous and actually drove us around for our whole stay and even did a DVD of pictures and videos of our visit to the ruins. Amazing guy. I can provide his contact info if anyone wants to schedule excursions while in DF.

The breakfasts were simple - fruit, juice, pastry or toast and scrambled eggs served family style with a terrific salsa on the side.

The room itself was stylish and comfortable - a bit noisy at night like in any city, but only until midnight. The Condesa neighborhood seems to settle down then.

Craig recommended some great restaurants to us and helped us get what we needed. The guys even helped let us call our son from their phone when we couldn't get a timely phone card.

Jorge and Craig are terrific people. And Condesa is a fun, neighborhood with colorful art-deco buildings, a nice park and the whole thing radiates from a central fountain. It's a great setting for a homey, relaxed stay.

We will be back!

Best home away from home in DF!!

by TripAdvisor Member Flyer1122

Everything about our stay at The Red Tree House was magical. Jorge and Craig do a phenomenal job of welcoming guests to their home. They execute a perfect balance of friendliness and privacy and we felt extremely comfortable staying at their property. You'll be surprised by impromptu breakfasts (which despite being labeled as "continental" are much more extensive than a traditional continental bkst), lunch/snack, or perhaps even cocktails with the owners and other guests. Its usually not planned, but somehow comes about as a result of the positive energy amongst guests.
I'm usually not a B&B type of gal, but the Red Tree House is much more (and better) than that. You'll make yourself at home and never want to leave....at least I didn't!!

Very cool

by TripAdvisor Member BlueNick

We loved the Red Tree House. Jorge and Craig were great and the whole place was cool and sophisticated. As soon as we walked through the door Jorge gave us a recommendation to go to the art market at San Angel which turned out to be a brilliant afternoon. Not only that Condesa is the place to stay - top restaurants and bars and a great vibe. Oh, and they do a great breakfast. Try Jorge's Chilequiles. 10/10, muchachos.

Magic in Mexico City

by TripAdvisor Member Surye

Jorge and Craig (the owners) were just the best! Their warmth and graciousness were integral to the overall beauty of the experience. We could not have been more relaxed and at ease in the environment that they have created and their suggestions greatly enhanced our stay. The rooms are impeccably clean and stylish. The soft lighting throughout is relaxing and very flattering. The neighbourhood is awesome and dining in the area is within walking distance and delicious! The pictures on this website are very nice, but it is really much lovelier. Jorge arranged a private taxi (Enrique - who was an exceptional guide) to take us to several sites outside of the city and it was well worth the cost! If we are ever in Mexico City again we will undoubtedly be staying at The Red Tree House.

A Very Special Place!

by TripAdvisor Member jakinusa

We celebrated our 20th anniversary at the Red Tree House and it was a wonderful experience. All the good things that others have written on TA about this marvelous B&B are true. It’s a special place to stay and we were treated like welcome guests rather than tourists. We didn’t want to leave! Jorge and Adrian (a new staff member at RTH) go out of their way to welcome all their guests. Everyone we met there remarked, “I’m so glad I found this place!” Since so many have already written about their stay, we would like to add a few new comments.

Now that the Red Tree House is the #1 choice on TA for B&Bs in Mexico City, a lot of people will be tempted to stay there. Please keep in mind that this B& B is not for those who require the luxuries of a 5 star hotel (minibar, air conditioning, 24 hour room service, pool). If you consider these as necessities, there are plenty of upscale hotels in D.F. that will serve your needs. This is also not the place for those who just want a room and don’t care to experience or contribute to the unique ambiance of Condesa and the Red Tree House.

Suggestions: Take time to explore the streets of Condesa. Stroll along the new sidewalk in the center Avenida Amsterdam to enjoy an eclectic mix of charming, art deco, shabby and modern homes and shops. Be prepared to meet the best-behaved dogs in the world on the streets of this Colonia and witness the dog trainers in action at Parque Mexico. When you return to the Red Tree House, let Abril demonstrate her own form of yoga. Visit La Naval for an amazing variety of wines, cheeses, fresh baked bread and meats. Treat yourself to dinner in the outdoor garden at C25, just across the street from the Red Tree House.

Advice: Many sidewalks in Mexico City are in need of repair, so wear decent walking shoes. Mexico City does have mosquitoes in the summer, so bring insect repellant to enhance your enjoyment of the outdoor parques, courtyards and gardens. There is quite a bit of residential renovation underway in Condesa, which can be noisy at times. However, the work generally doesn’t start until 9 or 10am, and you should be out exploring Mexico City by then. There are steep steps to the Tree House and the Penthouse so if stairs are an issue you should request a room on the lower levels.

We hope to return to the Red Tree House soon!
John and Anne

Every Detail Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member evening

I absolutely loved every minute of my stay at the Red Tree House and have been raving about the place since returning! Every detail is really perfect - and Jorge is a wonderful host. Adrian, a stylish young man who is helping him out was completely helpful and spent a lot of time giving guests directions and neighborhood recommendations. Will try to come up with some unique things to highlight so I'm not repeating the same that has already been said below.

Since I was traveling alone, I had the Tree House, or Petit Penthouse. It was perfect. The bathroom was a little small, but fine for me. The outdoor terrace makes this room - and I can just imagine how gorgeous it is when the jacaranda tree is in bloom! I never watched TV, but did turn it on to check out the options - complete system with almost all of the cable channels my NYC carrier offers. There is also an ipod docking station clock radio, a room safe, a small refrigerator, wonderful handmade soap (from Botanicus - a nearby store) and a wonderful collection of art.

In the morning, midway into my scrambled eggs with freshly heated tortillas, Julietta (or Juliana?) brought me freshly made salsa. This is probably the best salsa I've ever had and I was dying to smuggle some home with me in a zip lock! Every morning, she makes the stuff from scratch. It was amazing.

The other guests were very entertaining. People from all over the world who had found the hotel via TA, the New York Times, etc. Coincidentally, the first morning at breakfast a male guest said "I work in the same building as Chelsea Clinton" - so do I. Weird! One afternoon I came home (notice how I automatically say "home") to a sign in the dining room that there would be a celebration for a guest's birthday that night. Jorge had bought a cake and several bottles of red wine and we all me to celebrate the birthday.

Pretty much any restaurant recommendation Jorge or Adrian gave me was exceptional. Just when I thought I had the best tacos al pastor ever, I tried Jorge's favorite - Califa. Life in NYC will not be the same until I find something close, or they open a branch here!

Oh, and as a woman traveling alone, I felt completely safe in the neighborhood day and night. There were lots of single local women walking around. Not sure if things have changed greatly, or if I just fell for the scare tactics on my last trip, but when I was last in Mexico City, I was repeatedly warned at the hotels not to walk around at night - so never did. Maybe this was the hoteliers attempting to keep dinner business at their hotels or perhaps Alameda Central not as safe.

Wish we could have stayed longer

by TripAdvisor Member 2travelersfromCT

This is another rave.... The Red Tree House is simply marvelous, and we really didn't want the cab to show up when it was time to leave. Craig and Jorge made the birthday for one of us really special ( the other of us was a lucky beneficiary), and gave spot on recommendations for what to see and do and where to eat. We can't imagine staying anywhere else in Mexico City, and have been contemplating when the next trip might be, and with whom we'd like to share the experience.
Gracias!!!