Torre Lindavista

Avenida Miguel Bernard 670, Col. La Escalera, Mexico City 07320, Mexico

More about Mexico City

Jumping RAPANUI  on Easter Island, Sept 2010Jumping RAPANUI on Easter Island, Sept 2010

New cabs in Mexico City-source: La JornadaNew cabs in Mexico City-source: La Jornada

other boat selling candyother boat selling candy

Leonora Carrington ExpositionLeonora Carrington Exposition

Cheap backpack storage for 8 weeks or do I post it back to Oz?

by Chadster73

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning on travelling around mexico for 8 weeks very soon as part of a bigger trip. We have been in Europe for a while and have accumulated a few too many things :-) I would like to store our extra smallish backpack whilst travelling in Mexico, we're flying in and out of Mexico city. Does anyone know of any cheap storage place (maybe a hostel?) or do you think I should post it back to Australia, price wise whats best.

Many thanks in advance for all your helpful advice
Cheers,
Chad

Re: Cheap backpack storage for 8 weeks or do I post it back to Oz?

by ViajesdelMundo

well, from my perspective, having travelled over 30 yrs in Mexico and living here for 16, there may be problems BOTH with posting it fr here, and leaving it somewhere.

I have never used hostels in Mexico, so there may be someone else on VT who will be able to give you different info; but my advice would be to NOT leave it with other than a larger, reliable hotel, and first you would need to check with them as to whether what you want to do is possible for them. For the price of one night in a good hotel (i.e., the extra would be what you would spend for the posting costs; AND you would have good amenitites, etc.) [we always stay at the GENEVE Hotel in Zona Rosa and their Concierge is excellent, so possibly you could query them; see my MexCity page Accom Tip]

But even then, that seems a looong time, and especially for Mexico; reminds me of when I sent my suitcase up to the States for repairs, via American Airlines, as they had damaged it............I never saw it again!!

BUENA SUERTE'!

Re: Cheap backpack storage for 8 weeks or do I post it back to Oz?

by osoeno

I would think that you could store your pack in your accomodation in mexico city, whethor it be a hotel or hostel. I am assuming you will be spending at least 3 days in Mexico City (An enormous mistake not to)- make friends with the people where you stay- they will store your bag and it will be there when you come back.

Travel Tips for Mexico City

Sunlight in the Cathedral

by Blatherwick

I was in the Catedral Metropolitana at just the right time as the sun was shining through the window creating this ray of light. Unfortunately there was nobody around to take a picture of me bathing in the light. Nevertheless, it was tres cool.

Xochimilco

by Aptypo

Mexico City, the megalopolis, the heart of the nation, modern and cosmopolitan.

Mexico City is today one of the largest urban complexes around the planet, is an unique blend of past and present and an irresistible temptation.

No body, local or visitor, leaves the city untouched by its colorful markets, imposing architecture, mysterious ruins, or bustling plazas and parks... Is very difficult to choose only one thing that you must see in Mexico City.

In any case, in the Xochimilco canals, the last vestige of the ancient Mexico-Tenochtitlan, you will see how the aztecs build plots of land in the lake to stablish the Aztec capital and feed the empire... Really interesting.

Friendly and Honest ever

by Manyana

mexicans are one of the sweetest people ever i've met on my travels besides the spanish and indians. they're friendly, honest, and always want you to see you happy.

i was in a grocercy shop and was withdrawing some cash. i had my cash and forgot my credit card inside the machine.

a bit later, a lady came all the way down to where i was sitting, and told me that i forgot my card. she just could easily take it away. that was so innocent and nice

on many occasions, when my spanish didn't help me much, people were patient with me. when i ask about directions, i ask them to wait for me to look up the word in my spanish guide. they wait, help and smile. every single person i asked helped me with something and waited for me to use up my spanish. if i were somewhere else, i'm sure people would just make fun and go away.

honest, i really loved mexico and the mexicans; me gusta mexicana personas,lol

Socks

by Aptypo

Good quality SOCKS can be a blessing. Wool is best. If you are hiking, be sure to bring a lot of socks in case the weather is bad. Remember that if it is hot summer at your travelling destination, then you are unlikely to use any socks at all! Also useful for hinding money.

UNAM, the oldest university in Western Hemisphere

UNAM - Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico
(National Autonomous University of Mexico).
CU - Ciudad Universitaria
(University City)

Needless to say, UNAM is the most important cultural center in Mexico, which means that when you visit it, you will get to know a lot about the history of Mexican science and philosophy.

The oldest university in Western Hemisphere was originally downtown near to Zocalo.

Construction on the current 8,000-acre/325-hectare campus was started in 1950.
The campus consists of more than 80 buildings, the most notable being the Central Library (university's main library), with its four famous exterior tile mosaic murals were designed by Juan O’Gorman.
Three-dimensional murals by Diego Rivera adorn the rectory building on the main campus slightly farther to the east.

On the western part of the campus is the 100,000-seat 'Mexico '68' Olympic Stadium (Site of the 1968 Olympic Games), which has an unfinished mural by Diego Rivera.

To talk more about history, architecture, science, culture and arts in this place, we should need a lot of pages to do that!

Just come and visit UNAM.

UNAM is located at the southern edge of the city about 10 mi/16 km from Zona Rosa.
Ciudad Universitaria subway station, line 3 (green). Or ride a taxi from your hotel...

Comments