Cataviña Hotels

Our Members Say

• ViajesdelMundo profile photo ViajesdelMundo
  • Reviews: 281

Now called MISSION INN

The only decent place to stay in this part of the peninsula is run by the Mexican Government/FONATUR and has been named at least FOUR different times in the 20 years we have been coming this way. This time, Sep 2012, it is again renamed (Mission Inn) and I am not sure that it is private or still government.....but, it has been completely refurbished with new finishings in the rooms, new beds, etc. including new QUIET air-conditioners.

Being in the middle of nowhere and at least a couple hours drive in either direction to anywhere else, it is not inexpensive, but they do offer some discounts if you hold a Residency Visa, for instance. They also have their own card, for frequent visitors.

Also, there is no electricity, and everything is run by generator, so during the middle of the day, there often is NADA. But in the evenings, it seems normal, including having TV in the rooms.

The restaurant is adequate, but again, being that every thing is trucked in, the food is a bit expensive and may not too closely resemble the name on the menu (i.e., Cesaer Salad is made with iceberg lettuce and the croutons are little flat pieces of thin, slightly toasted Mexican bread).
UPDATe: for dinner I ordered the simple fish and had to send it back, but the second lot was almost as badly cooked at the first so I didn't eat more than a couple bites of either, but WAS charged for a dinner.

Also, I neglected to take a new photo of the entrance, which has had a large portico added, which is nice when it is raining, to unload the luggage.

There is a lovely pool if you are here long enough to enjoy it, and the ambience is somewhat that of old Mexico, partially due to the way the hotel is built.

There are great hiking trails in the area, as well as ancient cave paintings if you have an extra day.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Road Trip, Desert
  • Written November 4, 2010

• Agraichen profile photo Agraichen
  • Reviews: 658

Desert Inn: Catavina Desert Inn

How can you describe an oasis after a 12 hour drive on a narrow road at relatively high speeds? Ahhhh....

On the road north from Loreto on our first trip, instead of staying at the border of North and South Baja, we opted to keep going north a bit more to make the second day trip to the US shorter (relatively speaking) so Catavina was the destination.

The Desert Inn in Catavina is quite nice. Besides being quite large, it has a wonderful bar and a great restaurant that servers excellent dishes.

The pool is kept clean in spite of the numerous trees and landscaping around it.

The patio areas are a wonderful place to relax and meet people.

The rooms are spacious but the beds tend to be a bit on the hard side for my taste. Still after a long day of driving I think I could sleep on a board and be comfortable.

We use this location as an ice cream stop mostly now as it's change owners, gotten a bit more expensive and has no internet service. Two hours north is another former Desert Inn in Santa Maria which gets you that much closer to the border for the the final day of driving Highway 1 in Mexico. Still if you arrive late in the afternoon and the sun is beginning to set, don't try the last two hours in the dark.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Photography
  • Written June 1, 2009
Tip Photo

• trotador profile photo trotador
  • Reviews: 299

LA PINTA CATAVIÑA: THE BEST HOTEL OVER THERE

This was the best hotel we could find in our way. I was driving at night and I was very tired, all the places we found were so nasty so like a miracle we found this nice hotel. It can be seen next to the road on the right hand side going to Guerrero Negro.

Make sure you get a room that not face to the road...trailers at night make too much noise.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written January 5, 2003

the view from my room

• jujub profile photo jujub
  • Reviews: 435

Pricey

There is only one hotel in Cataviña: Hotel La Pinta. It is expensive (85USD), and the only other options we saw were: 1) A shady looking for rent apartments; 2) camping anywhere. We decided to drive to the next town, Guerrero Negro, and that was much better.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive