Hotel Lucerna Mexicali, Mexicali, 21270, Mexico
Lucerna Mexicali
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Hotel Lucerna Mexicali

A variety of stores and vendors

by Mandy23

If you have to go to a store to buy certain goods, there are plenty to choose from. Since Mexicali is a border town, you will also recognize several American stores like Smart & Final, Costco, Home Depot and AM/PM stores.

One of the big Mexican supermarkets is "Gigante", located across the street from Hotel Lucerna. I found a very good deal on Vanilla there. If I go to Costco to buy a small bottle, I'll pay between $10 and 15. In Gigante I found a bog bottle of 33.8 fl oz. (1 liter) for only $4.

If you like hot chocolate, try IBARRA table chocolate. It's so good. More about it here:
Ibarra

Also, some of the people who travelled with us, took different brands of Tequila back to the U.S. But be aware that you can only bring back 1 liter of alcohol per person.

You will also see many street vendors. Keep in mind that they will often tell the tourists a higher price at first, so try to negotiate!

Mexicali Train StationMexicali Train Station

MexicaliMexicali

Winged morningWinged morning

Charging of the bullCharging of the bull

All About Mexicali

by sunset_gal

Hi Vters,

Need information about Mexicali. What is the town like? How big is it? Is is a safe city since i understand that its a bordertown? I appreciate all information that you can tell me. Thanks in advance!

Re: All About Mexicali

by El_Cookie

I was in Mexicali 2 weeks ago. The weather is hot right now about 105 (F) when I was there. I grew up near there. Mexicali is similiar to Monterrey...lots of industry but with a little bit more of a personal touch. Its not as big as Mty though and i don't think there is a Mty Tec campus there but i'll have to check that out. Plaza Cachanilla is one of the main shopping centers. Well i haven't been to the plaza in years...i'm sure its still around. I would just go and party there when I lived in the area . I'm dissapointed that I don't no much about the city itself with all good times and money I spent there. Its pretty safe but like all border cities at night...it takes a life of its own. All the hookers, pimps, junkies come out and play. Especially in the areas where the strip joints are, not to far from the border. Not as crazy as Tijuana with everyone trying to sell you something. My suggestion is to cross the border and rent a car and go to San Diego California only about 2 hours away. Calexico the border town is so small it may not even have a car rental place...but I highly doubt that. Hope this helps a bit. I love the airport ...its alive :-)

Travel Tips for Mexicali

Corridas de toros

by mht_in_la

Although controversial, bullfights are Mexicans' favorite passtime. One may argue it's too cruel and not a real sport, but in Mexicans' eyes it's sport, entertainment, dance, and an art form full of rituals and traditions. It's not my job to pass judgment here.

Corridas de toros means charging of the bulls in English. Throughout the fight, both the matador and the bull are expected to show tremendous courage. The matador can get hurt or killed in any second, and the bull eventually gets killed. But in rare cases, if the bull shows exceptional courage it may be spared of its life, then sent to stud for the rest of its life. Not a bad deal.

Moving back to the Border

by Etoile2B

"Cast Schedule November 26 - 29, 1993"

Friday the 26th - Leaving Cananea Cast B heads to the border city of Mexicali.

Saturday the 27th - JBL at a local mall.

Sunday the 28th - Show Day in a bull ring (with live bulls in holding pens nearby)!

Monday the 29th - I leave my last Mexican host family in Mexicali as we move into Tijuana, our last city of our Mexican tour.

"Memories of Mexicali..."