3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Jenny, Kevin and WhaleJenny, Kevin and Whale

Travel Tips for México

Crossing the Border

by brighidnatasha

The first time I went to Mexico, I crossed over the border in San Diego with my family. We were only there for awhile, my father seemed to thoroughly enjoy haggling over items for sale. I remember distinctly the beggers along the bridge, and the fact that my mother wouldn't let me give them money.

The second time, I went with Francisco. He was working with an organization that helps women and children in Calexico and Mexicali. He told me about the "coyotes" who take people's savings, promising to take them over the border into the US. But instead, they get abandoned at the border, with no money and no home.

The group Francisco was with was helping particularly women establish gardening and small business in this region. Their stories were inspiring. We visited a group that was beekeeping, and making money selling the honey, wax candles, etc.

The people here were very kind to me, gave me a lot of good food (cactus salsa!) and many smiles. I love this picture of this woman who had a gorgeous garden and a great smile!

Mexico Lindo y Queirdo

by Erika74

"Affordable Trip"

The summer of 2002, I visited the states of Zacatecas, Guanajuato and Oaxaca.
I spent two weeks between the 3 states. That was not enough time to enjoy, but don't regret it at all.
Each of these states has so much to offer.
So much history, culture and kick-back time.
Summer 2003- Chihuahua, Mexico
memoralbe.

"Zacatecas"

This is where my mother is from, and I could defiantely move there. This city is beautiful. You have to ride the cable ride from the hill to "Mina de Eden". The tour of the mine is great, the tour guides have a wealth of information, it gets cool so bring a sweater.
When you exit the mine, there are plenty of taxi's lined up ready to take you back into the heart of town, if you're up to it- go for it, walk.
I stayed in the small town of Gudadlupe, actually it was more of a Ranch type, small vilage named "Casa Blanca". That's were I have family. No hotels, only family homes and a couple of mini marts. I did notice however that many of the people there drove cars with USA license plates from the state of Oklahoma on them.

"Chihuahua"

Well, I've been twice. August 2003, and let me tell you bring your bug spray. Lots of mosquitos, and do they leave marks.- the weather was tollerable. What I loved most was people watching- just sit in front of the cathedral and watch the indigenous Tahuamaras walk around and sell their handmade items, herbs, jewelery.
Then jump on the trolley for about 20 pesos, it's route is worth the $2.00- and makes several stops.
I really enjoyed the Pancho Villa museum- I will go back.
*now if you are into legends- Chihuahua has one for you! You have to go see it. It's a enbalmed bride on display at the local Bridal Shop downtown.
The caverns, "Name of God" are a sight to be seen. Beautiful natural creations.
We traveled as a family and spent half a day at a local park, "El Palomar" relaxed and enjoyed the scenery.
For a day trip we went to the Dinosaur museum in Delicias, Chi. which the children enjoyed.- then an hour and a half later we ended up in Julimes at the natural hot spings-

Guanajuato

by Erika74

"San Miguel de Allende"

We made it to the Bullfight. Tickets were $8.00 US to sit in the shade or $5.00 for sunny seats. This was my first bullfight, Ole--
The city park, located in the middle of town has sevral musicians at night. It really felt like Mexico, listening to the Mariachi and enjoying some typical food.
If you go, try walking up "Paseo del Choro".

"Ciudad de Gto."

We purchased a city wide tour for about $15 at the bus station. The tour buses were probably a 2 on a scale of 1-10, but they made it around town alright. It took us to a mine, a museum, and a place at a high elevation where we got a wonderful view of the city.

"Dolores Hidalgo"

We took a Taxi from the city of Zacatecas and paid $150 US dollars. Considering it was three states away, it was well worth the fee. The taxi driver even drove us around till we found a Hotel to our liking.
You have to have some homemade icecream. They sell it at the city park in front of the church for about a dollar.
This place is where I found the most beautiful pieces of art on my whole trip. They were very inexpensive.

Comments