Riu Yucatan-All Inclusive

Paseo Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 1, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico
Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Riu Yucatan-All Inclusive

by Lula_G about Hotel Riu Yucatan

The staff are the friendliest I have ever met. The rooms are fairly spacious with full air conditioning. The pool was fairly small, but this didn't matter as a few steps from the pool was the fantastic private hotel beach with lots of watersports and sun beds.
Food was resonable, but being Veggie I'm abit awkward! I also liked the way that all of the rooms were in blocks, so that you had to walk outside to get to the room, or bars and restuarants, this way we encountered all sorts of local wildlife.

Riu Yucatan

Stayed at Riu Yucatan March 10, 2003 couple, in our early fourties.Overall a great vacation. Sunny 85+F all week.went on Vacation Express out of BWI. outbound flight was almost 2 hours late getting in and the return flight was over 2 hours late as well. The airline (pace) was the pits, no food, no alcohol and uncomfortable seats. Transfers were OK-large bus to hotel with other stops along the way. If I had it to do over I would go with Apple Vacations. I have traveled with Apple before and I think they are much better.Location: Excellent. 30 min walk to Playa del Carmen or a $4.00 US cab ride. The area of the hotel as well as town was very safe. If you want to shop go to 5th st in town. Rooms: Fine. About the size of a Hampton Inn Or Holiday Inn Express. 2 doubles pushed together (I think almost all the rooms are the same.) the mildew on the curtains and upolstered chairs was a bit disconcerting (I put a towel on the chairs to sit on) sink, shower, toilet all fine. Take soap, shampoo and kleenex as the supply is small. on the beds ( a popular complaint) yes, they are VERY hard and the pillows (4) are thin and hard as well. The bed didn't bother us when we went to bed (always dead tired) but if you woke up in the middle of the night you noticed. Bring a good pillow if you have room. The fridge is nice- stocked with bottled water, club soda, pepsi, diet pepsi and (6) coronas. They refill every 2 days, but if you run out just call the front desk for more. There is Rum, Vodka, Gin and Tequila in the room, but it is rot gut. If you can drink it, you are a better man than I. For in- room cocktails I would go to the bar and have them fill a glass with Bacardi and take it back to the room and mix it myself. A/C and fan worked fine..set it on the lowest temp if you want it to stay cool. the monkeys will likely wake you with their howls early am.Staff: Excellent. the service is the best trait of this hotel. Always helpful. A tip goes a long way. we left the maid a couple bucks each day.Grounds: Excellent. Landscaping reminded us of Disney World. Extremely well kept. Keep an eye out for the monkeys in the trees.Beach: Excellent. If you get to the beach before 10:00 no problem with chairs. Before breakfast we would go up and grab 4 chairs (we traveled with another couple) by puting towels, hats. shirts etc. on them then hit the beach after breakfast..no problem..I recommend takind a small soft sided cooler for the beach to avoid walking to the bar for water etc. Also take a large insulated cup to reduce the number of trips from beach to bar. the sand is great and the water is wonderful-very salty. there are many palm trees on the beach if you want to be out of the sun. And yes, there are some topless women.Food: Overall only Fair. our only other all-inclusive experience was at a Beaches Resort where the food was outstanding, but you get what you pay for.Breakfast buffet was the best meal. Get your juices from the juice bar near the front (not the machine.) Eggs, omlets, meats, french toast, pancakes, fresh fruit all were very good.Lunch: we ate at the bch rest. the first couple days (taco day was the best) but if there is nothing special going on at the bch. rest. go to the main La Hacienda buffet for lunch. You have to have a shirt and shoes but the food is better than at the beach.Dinner: Fair at the buffet. good selection but nothing special. The steak a la carte rest. was only fair as well-6 oz steak for dinner-give me a break! i ordered two main courses and after some hesitation by the waiter, he agreed. The seafood rest. was better.We had dinner in town 3 nights and found a great restaurant called Las Delicias it's at 5a av & calle 22. Outstanding magaritas.Bar: The service was outstanding, but the drinks are poor. they have Corona on tap for beer. The red and white was way to sweet-terrible (we went in town and bought some good wine) the house alcohol was the same as in the room. they did have Barcardi, Smirnoff Vodka, Jim Beam, and Passport Scotch. you have to ask for it (and make sure they give it to you!) and if you want a real drink you need to ask for a double. My best advice for the bar is pick a bartender or two your first day, tip them 5 or 10 bucks each, and have them take care of you the rest of the week-same ones are there every day.Entertainment: skip it at all costs, total waste of time. I hear it's better at Riu Playacar, but did not go.Overall, we would return to an Riu resort if the price was right. We would absolutly return to the Area.

No Monkeys

First of all, there are no monkeys in the RIU Yucatan trees...they are birds...just birds! Regardless, my stay at the RIU Yucatan was great. The rooms, beach, pool grounds were always very clean and the staff was always very attentive and friendly. As for the food, there is a wide variety of both American and Mexican influenced fare...thus, something for everyone (even if you happen to be Vegetarian)! Also, even if there is no "name-brand" alcohol - the drinks tasted fine! Some advice - take advantage of the activities offered by the hotel...i.e. snorkeling, scooter-riding, sight seeing. Also, I recommend going into town for the shopping and night-life. The only downside to the trip...these negative people who complain and give the RIU Yucatan 1 star....relax, you're on vacation!!!

Fantastic

I went from Feb.22-March1 and i had such an incredible time. The people that work at Riu Yucatan were great, the beaches were great and the food and drinks were awesome. I'm 21 and i felt that it would be a better place for couples, but I enjoyed it because it was sooooo relaxing. There were people from all around the world especially Italy. We had the deal stay at one play at 3, but we also went to Riu Palace and took pictures, it was sooo beautiful. Riu Yucatan in my opinion was the best between Riu playacar and Tequila, it was like you were in a Rain Forest and we did see a monkey. The discos were the only problem we had, but we went to town and found a great bar called Captain Tutix. I would for sure recommend the Riu Yucatan and I hope to go back one day.

Heaven on Earth

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Yucatan from March 8 - 15 and we had a marvelous time. Upon entering the resort we came upon a fabulous lobby making us feel very comfortable from the onset. After checking in we went to our room and found it to be acceptable. Everything in the room functioned properly and it was very clean. Most importantly it was insect free!The restaurants offered a wide variety of foods satisfying even the most picky of eaters. My only complaint about the restaurant is that the dinner buffet required long pants for men. Somewhat of an inconvenience. The main reasons why I loved this resort and would definately return again.1) The beach. In all my years of travel, never have I seen such a beautiful beach. It was at least 300 feet deep filled with shade providing coconut trees. There were enough lounge chairs for all regardless of the time we arrived at the beach.2) The ocean. Absolutely beautiful. The water was exceptionally clean and clear. We were able to walk out into the ocean approximately 150 feet and the water was no more that chest deep. The waves were gentle and playful. I walked for miles on the beach in each direction and noticed that the ocean in front of the Riu Yucatan and Riu Palace was the cleanest and one of the only one's that was coral free.3) The grounds. I felt as if we were walking though a jungle paradise. There was an abundance of flowers, trees, birds and of course the monkeys. We spent some time watching a family of monkeys swinging through the trees, a treat not offered at other resorts. The monkeys were somewhat noisy but that's part of being in a jungle paradise.4) The location. Recall the old adage, location, location, location. This resort is in the Playacar complex of hotels. Unlike some of the other resorts areas, the Playacar area is a city by itself. Encompassed by many hotels and condos, we found it very comfortable and safe to walk outside our resort and yet remain in the controlled grounds of Playacar. My wife found the Playacar shopping mall very convenient since it was only an 8 minute walk from our resort. In addition, the town of Playa del Carmen was only a $4 cab ride or a 20 minute walk.5) The workers. From the beginning to the end the workers did their best to accomodate us in any way possible. They were very polite and a pleasure to be around. We only watched the night shows twice but each time found them to be very entertaining.Once again, I will definately return to this resort again. I hope you find this review helpful.

Good time, but...

Returned from Riu Yucatan March 3rd, we had a good time but it definately is not 5 stars even for Mexico. Rooms were adequate, but bring a clock/radio none are provided. My husband hated being assigned to a set dinner time for the buffet every night & the no exceptions long pants for men rule. Although officially frowned upon I had no problem bringing him a plate to the room. Food was just average, we stayed at the Iberostar Cozumel last year & it was far superior to this hotel. No food was available after dinner so I'd recomend bringing ziploc bags to store cheese & fruit or a sandwich forlate night munchies in your room fridge. I'd also recomend bringing a thermal mug to keep drinks cold and sand free, all their drinks are served in 8oz plastic cups but bartenders are happy to fill your mugs -also good if you want an early morning Bloody Mary (I was dissapointed that bars do not open until 10:30 a.m.)I had them make a Bloody at night with no ice & stored the mug in my room fridge overnight & added ice in the morning. Room fridge was stocked with Corona, pop, &water. Shampoo and bath gel came in little packets soap was motel 6 size. Last bits of advice- free watersports 1 hour daily must be reserved 1 day in advance , although gratuities are included we brought $120.00 in singles & $5's and tipped thru-out our stay the staff were great.

Could not be worse... Feb 2002

From the first few minutes we were discouraged but hopeful things would improve. Well after 3pm our rooms were still not available. We tried to enjoy the pool/beach into the late afternoon... The pool area was small as compared to other similarly priced hotels along the Mayan Riviera. From the pool apron we could see guests using kayaks in the sea. "Animacion" staffmember in what appeared to be an activities booth said "I DON'T KNOW" (without giving any indication of willingness to find out) when we asked what was required to use kayaks. I suggested maybe photo id, or hotel bracelet. He repeated that he did not know. Two towel attendents refused to call a manager when asked after we were told towels were not available. They then laughed and otherwise ignored us. Disappointed in what was becoming sadly characteristic poor service. We went to the very pretty -- just what we expected beach sans towels to wait out the room assignment. The room was another disappointment. Curtain was PINNED with a large safety pin. There was black filth in the stall shower. No bathtub at all. Remembering the gorgeous beach we decided to persevere. Myabe some cold drinks would help. The in room minibar had beverages. A walk around the hotel to four different guest ice machines produced no ice. They were all broken. A bartender gave two plastic cups each with three ice cubes when asked for ice. He said the hotel was running low on ice. Is this really a FIVE APPLE hotel? Both the service and food in the buffet restaurant were disappointing. We were reminded of Morrison's Cafeteria only much of Morrison's food is better. After a long day travelling, a long period waiting for rooms to be assigned, sadly disappointing service from the towel attendants and animacion staffmember, absence of ice for beverages, and a disappointing dinner imagine how disgusted I was when I turned back the sheets to find mildew on my otherwise soft and white bed sheets. The upside -- they did serve Pepsi rather than Coke. The downside -- everything else. Fortunately the tremendously helpful Apple Vacations on site representative made arrangements for us to move to a more appropriately categorized five Apple hotel early the next morning.

Best Honeymoon place to be

Well if you love to be one with nature and you enjoy beautiful beaches and great relaxation this is the place to go. Just because you didnt like your experience doesnt mean this isnt a great place you need to see things in a diffrent view. Realize your in another contry and people are trying to give you the best service they can i bet all you people who say its a dump is because you dont like nature if this isnt the place dont put it down. Its one of the best resorts and people treat you like royalty if you know what royalty is and best of all if you just got married they give you aa fruit basket and and a bottle of tequila thats nice to be pampered in that way great night shows and food.

A Great Resort for this Type of Vacation

We were there Feb 23-Mar 2nd. Weather delayed our flight so that we checked in well after 1:00am. Nonetheless, the hotel kept a buffet waiting for us. All week the buffets were great, lots of variety. We tried the seafood reastaurant. We booked it at 9:00am that morning. The crab on the menu was in fact pollock imitation. It didn't feel like a genuine restaurant experience. Taxi's are easily obtained outside the lobby if you want to go into Playa del Carmen, 3km down the road.The staff were consistently friendly and helpful, and the desk spoke English. Rooms are fine, and included a hair dryer. There was a slight mustiness that you don't notice after a while - not an issue - but I think understandable given the humid climate. Beds are on the hard side, but I wouldn't say uncomfortable. The grounds are beautiful, as is the palm-tree-dotted beach.There is a small not-air-conditioned gym that was open till 7:00pm, and not too busy. Treadmills, starimaster, bike, some free and fixed weights.The beach is busy and densely packed between 10 and 3, and lounge chairs sometimes a bit hard to find, especially if you want shade under one of the palm trees. Water was warm. Same with the pool.The nightime shows were entertaining enough a couple times. The costumes were beautiful, and the staff tried hard.One in our party did get sick - nausea, vomitting - for two days at the end. Hard to know why - could have been something she brought with her, could have been from sharing the dish ladels at the buffet, could have been from the water - you're not supposed to drink the tap water in your room. The hotel provides plenty of bottled water, Corona, and hard liquor (free) in your room.Lots of Canadians, Americans, and a mix of Europeans, especially Germans.If you prefer peace and solitude, this may not be the resort/vacation for you - there are a lot of people - but I would rank this quite highly amongst typical Caribbean vacations.

Riu Tequila Playacar Mexico

by love_riu_

Simply the best holiday experience ever. We stayed at Riu Tequila with around 40 people for a friends wedding! We were greeted with fruit juice, our key rooms and our cases were carted away and taken to our rooms on a trolley by the hotel staff. The room was spacious, very clean with a mini bar- more a bigger bar!, fridge and large bathroom.
Selection of drinks were amazing! From a vodka sour, banana shake, miami vice, pina colada, whisky sour, strawberry daqauri!
Now to the food!!- breakfast buffet was anything you could think of- fresh fruit, pastries, bacon, sausage, every type of egg, mushrooms, donuts, french bread, muffins, omlettes-very nice!!
Lunch- is located at the pool bars, with a mix of everything salads, pizza, burgers, bbq food sometimes, pasta, fish, meat, chips, puddings.
Dinner- basically everything you could want- meatballs, fresh fish, spagetti, pasta, there is always a freshly cut meat on a night, pizza, a mexican section, seafood, amazing desserts, pancakes are a must!
The pools were very clean, with a swim up pool bar with seats, jacuzzi.
Kids club on a night, plus entertainment for the whole family.
We did some trips- Coco Bongos in cancun was an amazing night, 50 dollars for a bar crawl all free drinks and access into coco bongos club where there is a show- best night out ever! Swam with dolphins- amazing. Went on the fat cat lots of fun with stop off snorkelling- lots of alcoholic, but soft drinks for kids too. Went to the waterpark aswell wasnt too good!
When we went the beaches were being refurbished so couldnt go on them this didnt matter too much though. Overall, amazing holiday!

Baja 1000 Racer, "Harold"  Wow!Baja 1000 Racer, "Harold" Wow!

saltwater fishingsaltwater fishing