Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Carretera Federal 387, Chetumal Cancun Km. 299, Solidalidad, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya 77710
Booking.com BookIt.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Adored the Secrets Capri

I have decided to write this review after reading the other reviews that have been written about this resort. Many reviews refer to "growing pains", to the fact that the activites were not organized, that the maid service was only at or after 4pm, that the food was not good, etc...I have to say that I strongly disagree with all that. My husband and I stayed at the Secrets Capri from January 4th to the 18th.
It was the best all inclusive vacation I have ever been on. In a nutshell, this is the place to go to if you need to relax and recuperate. The food was excellent, there were many choices- japanese, italian, steakhouse, seafood and mexican. The sushi at the Japanese restaurant was great, and the risotto at the italian restaurant was superb. The maid service would always come in the morning once my husband and I got up to to the pool. I would take a nap almost everyday at 3pm and our room was always done. The first week we got there they had just fired the entertainment manager and hired a new one. Within a few days, the activities were organized and there was plenty to do.
There would be a board at the pool everyday that described the activities of the day eg. voleyball, ping pong tournament, danse lessons, spanish lessons, soccer, movie playing everyday on a large screen, football etc...Furthermore, indoors there was a game area with many board games, books, magazines, and pool tables. There was always something to do. The staff was great, always very helpful. The pool was beautiful. Half of it was heated and that is where everyone hung out (It was also the the half with the pool bar). The rooms are beautiful, marble floor everywhere, jacuzzi bath for one, seperate shower, robes and nice balconies with 2 chairs and a table. What can I say, I would go back there in a heartbeat!

Great relaxing time

by TripAdvisor Member gotmilk86

We went to Secrets Capri Nov 8th-11th, one week after it opened. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. the staf was very friendly and accomodating. we just wanted to get a way for a fews days and relax and do nothing. if you are looking for activities during the day or nightlife, there isn't much of that. The food was very good, but sometimes slow service at the restaurants. The rooms weren't cleaned until late afternoon, but our mini bar was always stocked. overall this was a relaxing great vacation!

Secrets is beautiful and relaxing

My husband and I stayed 4 nights from January 7-11, 2004. We had a great time and enjoyed the resort very much. Many of the things written about this resort are true and you need to evaluate whats important to you before you travel. The Resort is brand new, beautiful rooms, tasteful restaurants and an awesome pool area (half of the pool is heated and the other half not). The landscaping is young and will fill in with time (baby palm trees). Because the resort is built so close to the beach, there are limited grounds to walk. However, there is a very long stretch of deserted, walkable beach (approx 1 mile) to the South (where you will eventually run in to a Mexican campground with thatched tents-for those on a tight budget) and a shorter beach you can stroll to the North (Which takes you past the resort next door called the Club El Mandrin and ends at the Eco-park- Tres' Rios). It would appear that the Secrets resort had to reclaim some of the beach right in front of the resort from the jungle, explaining why walking in to the water you are standing on clay and or rocks most of the time. Occasionally you will find a soft, sandy spot in the water to stand on. The sand itself it white and feels like powder between your toes... The water is a nice shade of blue turqoise and the waves are rather small. You can not snorkel in front of this resort, however, further down the beach (20 minute walk) you will happen upon a smooth, reefed area that would provide for some good snorkeling on calm days. There are plenty of beach chairs and pool chairs for everyone. Approx. 20 pool mats for people to float on in the pool...which some people took ownership of each day and did not share...but for the most part, people kept circulating them around, so everyone could have a turn. Management has been told that they need to increase their staff atleast two-fold...(the number of maids and wait staff are not enough to service a resort of this size) hopefully they will do that soon. The existing staff is friendly and eager to help you, but they need lots more help keeping up with the work load and the number of guests they are expected to wait on. Remember, you are on island time when you arrive in Mexico and you have taken a vacation to escape the hustle of real life craziness. Vacations allow us to slow down and relax...so if the service is a little slower, just accept it and go with the flow...As with any resort, your expectations of the vacation and that resort need to be real. I think Secrets Capri offered us a vacation of quality (rooms, food, service etc) and we tried not to be too critical of the slow service. Everyone on staff, was happy and trying to do their best. No resort is going to be perfect every day or week and we were just thankful that we were able to go to such a beautiful place to realx and enjoy ourselves for a few days. We found most guests to be enjoying the resort and happy with the services and the people we found complaining either hadn't settled in to vacation mode yet or were just not going to be happy no matter what resort they chose. We have stayed at several other all inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean and they all offer different quality, service, food, beaches etc. This is one of the fun things about trying somewhere new each time. Along with this, I think you have to try not to compare them all and just find the positives in each resort to match your real expectations. Secrets Capri offered us exactly what we were looking for in a 4 night getaway from the Winter Blues in Michigan....Beauty and relaxation!!!

Fabulous Vacation

We just returned from Secrets Capri on January 18. We have been to many all inclusive resorts and I would have to say that this one was top of the line. The resort is lovely, the rooms very comfortable and the service is excellent. The bars serve top shelf liquor and the wait staff is delightful and most accomadating. I too was a bit nervous having read the negative reviews. I cannot understand what these people were referring to!The food was fantastic and there were plenty of choices. The 24 hour room service was wonderful, nothing like starting off your day with a fresh pot of coffee and bagles while relaxing on your balcony. All the little touches added up to a very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

The CONTINENTAL PLAZA
PLAYA...

by TYCOON007

The CONTINENTAL PLAZA
PLAYA DEL CARMEN The hotel has 3 swimming pools. A swim up bar. The hotel sits right on the beach....... All 250+ rooms are ocean view. All the rooms have a safty deposit box.

For beaches and fun in...

by dreamworld

For beaches and fun in Yucatan...south of this very ugly city called Cancun...is Playa del Carmen ! It used to be a 'hidden' place for backpackers let's say 15 years ago...but today it's overpack with hotels, inns, hostels, guesthouses and.........of course....tourists.

Packbackers in Playa del Carmen

by adamofgrayskull about Urban hostel

It wasn't the best place i've stayed but the atmosphere and location made it. The showers and kitchen were fine, what you would expect but the rooms were a little cramped but the fact that we met cool people made it special, especailly when you've only just landed in Mexico!!

Riviera Maya

by kgrigg

"Hotel"

We stayed at the Secrets Capri in Riviera Maya. We are very experienced travelers in our late 50's early 60's. We have never stayed at an all inclusive resort before so this was our first experience. This one was adults only. I would rate this as a 4 - 5 star resort. Our room was the basic level deluxe and perfectly fine. All marble, nice amenities and a small balcony. Food was exceptionally good, all very well prepared, presented and fresh. Most everything had a light touch with very few heavy sauces. Buffet breakfast was awesome, but another restaurant had a breakfast menu for those who didn't want a buffet. The choice of restaurants was Pan Asian, Italian, Seafood or buffet. We never ate at the dinner buffet.
Service was always pleasant and willing to please. Only on one morning did we have to ask for coffee several times. I recommend this property highly for a getaway for relaxation. We did not partake of the spa as I thought it was a little pricey.

"Airport"

Transfers are not included in the price so you need to take a van or taxi to the hotel. Walk past all the taxi hawkers inside the airport. They will offer taxis, but are trying to get you to go see a time-share.
Go outside for a taxi. The cost for 2 persons should be around $46. one way.

"Activities"

Since we were there for just 4 days we did not leave the property to visit any other attractions. The pool and Caribbean were enough for us. The pool is large and not deep. Plenty of floats available to laze in the water. The beach is kept clean, but the water did have seaweed for the first 20 feet or so.
All watersports are available.
The entertainment crew had activities every hour for those who wished to participate: water volleyball, spanish lessons, water exercise, martini lessons and on and on. In the evenings they had a show or activity every night such as comedians, casino night. We went to the Caribbean night which included a dinner buffet on the beach with entertainment.

MEXICO playa del Carmen

by GIBBO123

"Bring plenty of us$"

Bustling seaside little town, mainly catering for the US tourist, with practically US prices, my advise if you are european try to venture out to other beaches which are nearby, just a few that I will mention is Coco beach north of playa del carmen, going south Akumal beach quiet but stunning beach with facilities, also to the south Tulum Beach is also worth a visit. So I hope this will help you with your holiday.
Found Playa too commercialised and quite expensive.
If you want to eat authentic Mexican food try going away from the downtown area.
I recommend Hotel La TORTUGA IN PLAYA small hotel but very friendly and reasonable rates

Playa del Carmen

by mhughes33

"About Playa"

Situated directly in the middle of the "Tourist Corridor" that stretches from Cancun to Tulum, Playa del Carmen is ideally located for your vacation enjoyment. It is a short 40 minute ride from the International airports in Cancun and Cozumel.
Playa del Carmen boasts miles of sandy, palm lined beaches, bordered by the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean; dozens of varied restaurants; hotels to meet any budget or taste and a tranquil and serene atmosphere and attitude that you won't find in tourist meccas like Cancun or Cozumel.

Stroll along the new pedestrian walkway and discover fine dining and great shopping opportunities. Restaurants run the gamut from fresh seafood to T-bone steaks. Traditional Mexican, Yucatecan, French and Italian dishes are all offered. Tacos and fresh pizza, spaghetti or grilled shish kabobs . . . lobster and shrimp . . . tropical fruit drinks and salads . . . Whatever your taste, chances are you can find it in Playa!

Handicrafts range from fine silver jewelry to delicately embroidered clothing, carved wood and stone, hammocks, leather goods, paintings, sculptures and more.

Or hit the beach and enjoy any watersport from windsurfing to scuba diving, jetskiing to peaceful snorkeling. Lie on the beach and tan or boogie the night away to live music at a local hotspot. Take a short daytrip and visit Mayan ruins nestled in the jungle at Coba or overlooking the Caribbean at Tulum. Visit the natural aquariums at Xel-ha or the nearby park at Xcaret. Or take the ferry and explore the island of Cozumel.

So relax and enjoy yourself! The streets are clean and safe to walk at night, the people are friendly and unhurried . . . the food is abundant, the entertainment ample and varied, and the scenery, weather and Caribbean are just spectacular!

"Accommodations in Playa del Carmen"

The Blue Parrot Inn
In a pristine setting, the Blue Parrot Inn sits among the gently swaying coconut palms on a luxurious sandy beach that runs for miles. With the turquoise waters of the Caribbean lapping at the shore just a few feet from your door, the Blue Parrot awaits your arrival.

The Blue Parrot Inn, located just outside the ancient Mayan village of Playa del Carmen, will fulfill all your tropical fantasies. Nearby coral reefs teem with tropical fish and marvelous sea life. Magnificent Mayan ruins at neighboring Coba and Tulum offer up their mysteries to the adventurous traveler. Whatever your pleasure - sunbathing, scuba diving or just enjoying good food and drinks - Rick Jones and his staff at the Blue Parrot Inn will take care of your every need.

the beach of Playa del Carmenthe beach of Playa del Carmen

musicians in Playa del Carmenmusicians in Playa del Carmen

Playa del carmenPlaya del carmen

Playa del carmenPlaya del carmen

Need advice for best all-inclusive hotel in playa del carmen

by tinaw76

I will be a first time visitor to Playa del Carmen and I am looking for the best all inclusive hotel (4 or 5 star)...balcony with ocean view, swim up pool bar, nightly entertainment, good selection of bars/restaurants, etc. I just want to relax by the pool, have a few cocktails, maybe some dancing, see the sights during the day, etc. Any advice would be much appreciated. I am planning for the first week of May 2004...how will the weather be? Am I better off going mid or late April? Thanks!

Re: Need advice for best all-inclusive hotel in playa del carmen

by kentishgirl

Hi we were in Mexico this past September, although we did not stay at any hotels in Playa Del Carmen we did stop by briefly at the Riu hotels - they did look very nice.

My reccommendation would be to look into the resort of Puerto Aventuras, its about a further 20mins south of Playa Del Carmen, We stayed at the Aventura Spa Palace hotel - amazing!

I have a few pics on my Mexico page, but I am fairly new here and have loads more to put on that page when I get the time!

The rooms are situated in very well kept gardens, and each room has a showeroom, double jacuzzi, mini bar with optics and a king size bed, along with a/c.

The place was immaculate, fairly quiet with some evening entertainment, and a number of restaurants - an oriental,Mexican,Vegetarian, Mediteranean, grill, Poolside snacks, and an Italian.

It has 2 outdoor pools, an indoor pool, gym, spa treatments and manmade lagoon areas for swimming and snorkelling.

Oh I want to go back - after typing that!!

Re: Re: Need advice for best all-inclusive hotel in playa del carmen

by eandjracquet

The Rui's consistently get good reviews-the most luxurious of them all is the Rui Palace. Secrets Capri is also now getting excellent reviews, as is the Adventuras Spa Palace. Royal Hideaway, which got good reviews in the past, appears to have slipped-with reports of rooms being robbed.

?Which resort

by Maryjohn

We are looking to book to go to Mexico this summer but cannot decide which resort to go for. I like it to be nice, especially the rooms and I like to have a good sized balcony. My choices are the Royal Hideaway resort or one of the Secrets Resorts? Has anyone stayed at any of these who can give me some advice/info on which to choose. Also which room/suite would you recommend and is it worth paying the extra money for an ocean view/front? I really would appreciate any advice that will help me to make a decision. Thank you in advance and look forward to your replies. Thanks

Re: ?Which resort

by springbreak105

Mexico is a large country, which city in Mexico do you plan on visiting?

Royal Hideaway

by PugMom

We've never stayed at a Secrets resort but they're on our short list... However, we did stay at the Royal Hideaway and it wasn't worth paying for an ocean view... Most of the resorts in that area are set back from the sea and there are really no actual ocean front... Just request an upper room in one of the villas closest to the pools (I don't recall the numbers)...

We did tour Secrets Capri and I think we'd go for a room with a view... The way that resort is laid out would give you a real view...

Have a great time wherever you go...

Re: ?Which resort

by MonoBichi

Like the first reply, I kind of wonder where you are heading. If you are looking resort chains but don''t know what area to go, let me recommend Cabo San Lucas if you go in summer. Caribbean and West Coast destinations are very hot (duh) but worse, very sticky...although hanging by the pool and beach all the time would make it bearable. It also rains a lot in summers at mazatlan, Vallarta, etc.
Cabo is hot but dry and you won't end up soaked and exhausted if you play golf or even tennis. There are other factors, of course, in what place if for you, but Cabo is really the only year around Mexican beach resort.
Whoa, it just hit me that maybe you are not going to the beach...in which case the more altitude you get the more comfortable you'll be. But it will still rain.

cabo or playa del carmen?

by LauraAR

Some friends and I want to take a trip to Mexico, we are in our 30's, what would be more fun Cabo Or PDC?

Thanks,
Laura

Re: cabo or playa del carmen?

by MookieStephens

A number of travelers I've met have come through PDC and really liked it a lot.Cabo will be more expensive and crowded.

Mookie

Re: cabo or playa del carmen?

by pedrocarlos