Baja Inn Hotel La Mesa

assorted t-shirtsassorted t-shirts

with my friend at Avenida De Revolucionwith my friend at Avenida De Revolucion

really?really?

well pavedwell paved

renting a bicycle to cross the border faster

by oslocairo

I had heard that you can rent a bicycle to cross the border faster to avoid lines while entering the U.S.

Is that still possible or has that been stopped?

Thanks!

by cachaseiro

I have crossed that border by bicycle several times and i always had to line up together with the pedestrians so i don't think this is possible.

by yvr

You can't do it. You will wait your turn like anyone else.

by oslocairo

Thanks you two for the information. It's good to know. I will just take my place in line with everyone else. I will be returning in mid afternoon (3:00-3:00 PM) on Saturday. How long do you think the wait time averages by walking?

Thanks so much for you assistance.

Hi Lisa,

Tijuana is not really a "bicycle" friendly town. There isn't much of a line to get into Mexico, it is the return journey that takes time. There is a special line returning from Mexico into the USA for bicycle riders, but I think you have to have one of the "speed" pass cards to use this option.

You might consider taking a bus from the USA into Mexico and use that same bus system to return. There is still some waiting envolved, but at least you'll have a seat on the bus most of the time. There is a hugh lot, not far from the border/SD Trolley station, just northwest, across the bridge and for a nominal fee they will take you across and return you to this side. These are private buses and not part of the SD/Tijuana Transit Systems. They drop off and pick up at specific spots, in the tourist sections of Tijuana, so you'd have to be there to catch the return bus. This goes on all day long.

The line coming back to the USA can be pretty long, a couple of hours wait sometimes. But I think that at 3:00 or 3:30 pm on a Saturday, you might have a bit shorter wait. Sort of between the "rush" hours, if you see what I mean.

by oslocairo

Thanks Imklugue for you hlepful information.

I plan on parking on the US side and then walking over. I am only going over for a couple of hours so would like to make my return time as short as possible. I am hoping too that mid-afternoon may be, as you said, in between rush hours. I just hope I dont have to stand in the sun for two hours.

by lmkluque

There is a place to park your car at the bus lot I mentioned, but I'm not sure what the charge per hour/day's parking is there.

However, all around the border area, on the USA side, you'll find parking lots charging about ten dollars a day, might be a bit more now--I haven't been down that way for a while.

Another option, whether or not you choose the bus or to walk, you might consider parking your car at one of the SD Trolley stations, that offer free parking, take the Trolley to the border and then cross, either walking or riding the bus.

by oslocairo

Thanks again Imklugue. Free parking is always interesting!

:-)

I think so too.

FYI: It's lmkluque as in LMKLUQUE, but you can call me Linda. LOL!!

Travel Tips for Tijuana

Tipping In TJ

by rayfornario

I love going to TJ to eat! I do this every week...usually on Wednesday. We use to go on weekends but the line to get back into the US can be long! We still do that when we have guests from out of town, the weekend trip. We have a favorite place to eat and end the evening with a good cigar and excellant coffee over at Rudy's.
We know many of the waiters at restaurants downtown and they have become like family to us. My best memory of TJ was when I proposed to my wife at our favorite restaurant. it ios the same restaurant we discovered one lazy saturday afternoon back in 1996. I also remember riding my horse across the border on weekends in the Playa's , before long before the border went up and tying up the horse outside of a seaside cantina for taco's and beer...try doing that today!

Bring Some extra Cash

by MissJunglette

Always bring some extra cash because there is a charge to use the bathroom if your not at a bar and even a charge to use toilet paper to use in Ladies restrooms, even a lady to dstribute how much you get! Also I have a couple of friends who had to pay a fee to get out of jail down there too. My dad even got arrested here in his 20's for "cutting in line" supposedly. And sometimes they will con you and overcharge you for drinks at certain bars and say "Next time" you come they will drop the price...yeah right.

Tijuana is a tourist place. A...

by lobstop

Tijuana is a tourist place. A lot of Mexicans try to make some money from those who cross the bearder for one day. The day in Tijuana was exactly half time of my exchange year in the USA. So I had to smoke a cigar and have a dos equis of course.

Pharmacies in Tijuana

by machomikemd

mexico is notorious for having cheaper drug prices so many people cross the border from the US to here in Tijuana which is the nearest city in Mexico in California Area just to buy prescription drugs here which are 30 to 75% cheaper than in the US. A Caveat, not all pharmacies have geniune medicines as some of the stuff are fake so be careful in buying medicines here. most ask for prescription from US doctors (but some don't ask for precsriptions) and dispense you the medicines and you don't need a refill prescrition to buy more of the stuff. the pharmacies are like mushrooms and are located everywhere here. examples of the medicines are:

Amoxicilin 500mg x 100 caps.$7.95
Ibuprofen 800mg x 100 tabs. $ 5.00
Ciprofloxacin 500mg x 100 caps $15.00

pharmacies are located everywhere in Tijuana

If you're here to shop, drink...

by spartan

If you're here to shop, drink and shake your stuff, you won't need to wander far off the few blocks of Avenida Revolución between 1st and about 8th streets. Here there's an uninterrupted stream of bars, dance clubs, malls, markets and souvenir stalls, and more or less permanent crowds.

Comments