Casa Dorada Los Cabos

Av. Pescador S/N, Col. El Médano, Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, 23410, Mexico

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• kimbo13's Profile Photo

great hotel

My partner and I stayed here in Sept. 2008. The hotel was only 6 months old. It was a great stay.
    very clean
    friendly staff
    beautiful views
    great location
    Pools were okay. They were nice but too hot. The temperature in Cabo was 98 to 100 degrees and the pools were not refreshing at all. I did mention something to the pool attendent that they needed to cool them down. It might be okay in the dead of winter but not in Sept. Also by the time we were leaving the "cooler" pool was a little hazy.
    But overall we would definitely stay there again. The location and wonderful rooms made up for the warm pool. You can swim in the sea too...it is just steps away.

More about Casa Dorada Los Cabos

Casa Dorada is su casa

by TripAdvisor Member ferdzz

About us:
We traveled to Casa Dorada as a family of three, my wife and my 2 year old son. My wife and I have traveled around the world extensively staying in mostly smaller boutique none chain hotels.

Location:
The Casa Dorada is located on Mendano Beach and probably has one of the best locations if you want to be in the action. It is the third hotel from the marina going down from Medano beach. The Office, Mango Deck and some other nice beach restaurants are right next to the hotel if you want to another choice in food, also it is very lively there as well, for a younger , or young at heart crowd. Getting to the center of Cabo where all the shops are is pretty easy, about a block of road to the marina is under construction, but not bad at all. You can take an alternate route to the center and also pass along the way a sort of a bus stop, where it the Collectivo buses can take you to Wal-Mart to do some food shopping, which cost about $1.00, just look on the bus windows that say “Wal-Mart”

Facility:
Overall-
The grounds and the building are very new, so some of the greenery is still newly planted. The hotel lobby has one of the best views looking out to the arch. Actually if you look from the street through the lobby to the arch, it is very dramatic view.
The décor is similar to a “W” type of hotel, very modern and contemporary.
Yes there is noise through the hallways, but I think all hotels in Cabo and for the most part in Mexico have tile floors, in Casa Dorada’s case all the floors have beautiful Travertine tile throughout.
Rooms-
The room we stayed at was a deluxe room, with 2 full beds although a little lumpy, and a small kitchette fully stocked with all the amenities to do simple cooking. For us it was fine, there was a brand new LG 32”flat screen LCD TV and plenty of storage space, it did lack a table to eat, but was fine for us. The bathroom shower/tub, had a floor to ceiling clear glass partition, in which you can see the arch, and surrounding harbor. It was probably the best view I have ever seen from a bathroom, even when sitting in the toilet the arch and harbor can be seen, it was magnificent. By the way the toilet had a soft-close seat just like a high end TOTO toilet, it was a nice touch.
Dining-
We mainly ate at the pool restaurant during the day, then grab a bite to eat some where in town or at one of the nearby beach restaurants, or even just cook something in our room.
Regarding the pool restaurant, it was actually very good they have there normal fare of food, that is typical Mexico, but I would have to say that once ordered the food came out lightning fast. We usually just went right to bar to make our order. We did eat at the 12 Tribes restaurant, and it was pretty good, they did over cook my tuna steak, but cooking tuna can be tricky. I would recommend at least one meal from there, at least to get a great view during dinner.
Service-
The service for what we experience was fine, the waiters at the pool and at the restaurants all spoke English and were very attentive. As I wrote before we mainly went to bar/restaurant area to order our food/drink, it was almost always not crowded and it was nice to talk to other guests and staff there.
There is also a Kids Club room where you can leave your kids while you have dinner or lounge by the pool, it was a nice service, they give you a pager to contact you for anything.
Pool/Beach:
There where three pools, a kiddy pool and two large pools, about 4’-6” deep, they seem to be cleaning them all the time, and most of the time not busy in the water. There was a nice 8” shallow ledge on each end of the pool where my son could play in the water or just lay in the water.
The beach was really nice too, the area for Casa Dorada, had day beds and nice chaise lounge chairs on one side of the stanchioned ropes, if you don’t want vendors coming up to you every 5 minutes.

Tips:
First a word about the time share pitch, we we’re asked right after check it to go with a one of the nice representatives to “get your welcome package”, we knew that it was really code for “Time Share appointment scheduling” So being with my 2 year old we kindly said no, we’ll have to get to you later. After a few calls to the room they eventually stopped. But if you are in to hear the pitch, you probably get a free breakfast and a tour of the hotel, for most of a morning that is what we saw.
Having a kitchenette was really helpful when you have a 2 year old, there was a nice little mini-super Mercado on the corner, next to the ME, which had just about everything from beer to milk. If you wanted more food you could go to the Wal-Mart, by taking a taxi or Collectivo bus or go into town go to the local super Mercado.
Lastly, as far as the Airport Transfer, I highly recommend TransCabo, you have to make reservations over before you go on the internet, and carry your voucher upon arrival, they have the best rates, and guarantee a 3 stop max, our return trip to the airport, was only us, they’ll even stop on the way to get some cold beers if you want.

No privacy, but Casa Dorada is worth it.

by TripAdvisor Member aaplnow

Great place, but needs some detail work to be 5-star.

Check-in: Really nice reception foyer, but not as grand as others in Cabo. Check-in people are very warm and friendly, which is nice after the crud you go through to get here. If you want a better room, BE FRIENDLY, not grouchy. I leaned forward and asked, "Is this the suite you would give your Mother?" She said it was a good one, but then got on a two-way radio and said something. Came back and told us, "Oh, your original room isn't ready, but this better one is."

Once you get your room keys, you will be "turned over" to the people who want you to go through a presentation the following morning. But, you knew that! Short of being a complete [--], you will find yourself agreeing to it. Good news! The free breakfast is good, the perks are worth it, and they really do stick to the hour and a half presentation. Go for it. The activities they "comp" you are through the best on the beach.

The rooms: Nearly all have a wonderful view, but if you want sun in the morning ask for Building 'A' We are in a 7th floor room in Building 'C' which is the main building. However, the lovely ceiling affords zero sun for tanning.

The beds are top notch! Unusual in Cabo, but they actually have a mattress cover between the mattress and bottom sheet. Then you have a wonderful blanket wrapped on both sides with sheets, THEN a down-alternative blanket encased in the most yummy material on the top. You will be in bed heaven.

Location: Doesn't get much better. Others have complained about noise. Not! I'm sensitive to obnoxious noises, but I have never been bothered. Instead of having one source of music turned up loud, they have those speakers that look like rocks placed all around, which allows the music to be evenly distributed. Thoughtful touch!

Space for clothing: Lacking. Seems they went for floor space vs. closet space. Not that big of a deal, but...

Ocean sound in-room: Yes! And it's wonderful. Sleeping with the doors open is soooo relaxing.

Taxi's: Prices have gone WAY up! Plan on a minimum of $8, not including tip, no matter how close your destination, No haggling.

Privacy on your beautiful terrace? Non-existent. You see everyone, and everyone sees you. The only privacy you get is the balcony off of the master bedroom, and it's NOT where you want to spend your time, Apparently, they want you out of the room and spending money.

The pools: Wonderful! Unique to this resort are the plush round loungers and double loungers. Plus, there are pools with varying temperatures. A pool to meet anyone's desire. PLENTY of seating!

Restaurants and bars - deadsville on-site, Since Mango Deck, Billygan's and Baja Cantina are so close, it's difficult to keep the crowd here.

Bathrooms - hooks where you don't need them! No place to hang robe, towels, or anything that is convenient. What were they thinking? However, the bathrooms are VERY nice aside from the inconveniences.

If you want location, this is it. If you want privacy, go elsewhere. If you want new and beautiful, come to Casa Dorada. If you want to hear and see your twenty neighbors, this is the right place for you.

Overall, we have had a great time.

Casa Dorado is Fabulous!

by TripAdvisor Member kimmyfromar

My mother and I just returned from Cabos and our stay was outstanding! The Casa Dorado is fabulous! We stayed in room 207 and the view of the pool and ocean was breathtaking. The staff was very friendly, and accomodated all of our needs. They were helpful with directions, restaurants, linens, etc. We had a fantastic vacation, and I would stay there again and again. I can't say enough about how nice the resort was, and the only complaint I have are the time share pitches! They are everywhere and we couln't even check in our room without the interruption of a pitch! The airport, the restaurants, walking down the beaches,... they are everywhere! The vacation was great and we will return!

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MarquezJL

My husband and I stayed in the Casa Dorada one bedroom suite and it was beautiful! The suite had a jacuzzi tub, master bathroom, a really comfortable king sized bed, great view, and a kitchen with utensils, fridge, stove, etc. The location was great since it's only 5 min. walk to the shops downtown and the mall which will save you lots in taxi cab fare. The staff is really friendly and helpful, and even the timeshare reps leave you alone after you politely tell them you're not interested. The Okianus restaurant in the hotel is very good(and very affordable), and we would recommend eating at Mango Deck, Senor Sweets, Amarone, and the Office.

Best Hotel I've seen

by TripAdvisor Member Caborelaxation

We purchased a vacation ownership when we first visited Cabo. It is beautiful. Can't wait to go back. We have it for 2 weeks a year. Everyday I dream of Casa Dorada.

Great hotel, great vacation spot

by TripAdvisor Member The_Sunburnt_Kid

My friends and I stayed at Casa Dorada for a week and it was absolutely fantastic. The suite was immaculate, stylish, and always kept clean. It also had an amazing view of the whole beach (see photo). From the hotel it's only a short walk to any restaurant, bar, or shop that we wanted to go to and it was really easy to plan our daytime activities right from the hotel (not to mention the convenient on-site Budget rent-a-car representatives).

The beachside brunch buffet was a daily godsend after nights out on the town. The food was delicious and it was not expensive relative to other options (the Office, which is highly rated, was more expensive, less tasty, and had less selection).

The staff were always friendly and helpful -- the daytime events coordinator was particularly fun and energetic.

In my opinion, this is a great hotel for any type of vacation -- family, friends, honeymooners etc.

The negatives were:
1) Mango's, which is on the beach in front of the hotel, is kind of loud, but it's a trade off with the great location. Being on a nice beach with lots of activities to partake in is good enough reason to endure a little noise.
2) No real grocery store nearby. There is a little mart where you can pick up some supplies, but we found it best to rent a car for a day and go to the Cabo Walmart (i know, sad) and stock up. The refrigerators and cabinets in the kitchen will have no trouble fitting all the cheap supplies you get at Walmart.

All in all, I highly recommend Casa Dorada and can't wait to return.

Location, location, location...

by TripAdvisor Member howardhsu

If you're going to be in Cabo San Lucas, then this is the location of all locations. You are sitting right in front of (the swimmable) Medano Beach. You are a short walk away from the nightlife, the harbor and Puerto Paraiso Mall. Plus, there are plenty of nearby dining options: Mango Deck, The Office, and Gardenia.

The resort is very new, but by this point they've worked out most of the kinks. Aside from fixtures being attached crooked, everything else was in tip-top shape. We stayed in a deluxe room (on the west side away from ME Cabo), which was surprisingly very large. The two LCD TVs were a nice touch. The AC ran super cold and relatively quiet. The rooms were very clean. The bed was comfortable. The water pressure was great (although it ran murky at times). The view from our room was spectacular! We could hear/see the fireworks, but none of the partying at ME. My only one complaint is that there aren't screens to the deck and we inadvertantly let in a mosquito or two (resulting in a couple of bites). Next time, I'll just know better not to leave the deck door open.

The front desk staff, concierges and bell hops are all extremely friendly. Our bell hop Juan was particularly helpful in pointing us to the right activities and giving us a heads up on which tours to avoid.

While the concierges here are also their front line for timeshare sales, they aren't very pushy. In fact, one polite 'no, thank you' was all it took. We didn't get any follow-up phone calls, nor were we ever asked again. :)

If you're a pool person or someone who likes to lay out in the sun, then you are going to have a great time at Casa Dorada. The pool is set to a perfect temperature and looks out to the open sea. There are plenty of available mini-cabanas and lounge chairs surrounding the pool. Best of all, there's a swim-up bar/restaurant.

We dined at the Maydan restaurant on their property twice. It isn't anything to write home about. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good. For lunch time Mexican food, try Gardenia down the street. If you're by Tesoro, swing on over to the Crazy Lobster for some very inexpensive (yet, tasty) seafood.

In conclusion, Casa Dorada is a great resort/hotel to stay at. However, as another reviewer pointed out... there are much better places to vacation than Cabo San Lucas. The prices are what you'd expect to pay in the United States. The exchange rate is horrible (10:1). Airfare to Mexico is expensive. Comparable food can be found in America. It's not particularly scenic or culturally stimulating. As for the nightlife, unless you recently turned 18, watered down drinks and sexual position contests just don't cut it.

very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member normajn1

The hotel is beautiful, and the rooms are just as nice. The hotel staff was great. It is a short walk to town for everything, and it is right on the beach. I love to be so close to everything, so this hotel is perfect.

There is a little pizza place called the puppy cafe right behind the hotel on the street that was great. Two of us walked over there and got a big slice of pizza for 2.00. He brought us coffee and a mint for no charge. I will be going back there when I travel with my boys.

The staff could be a little more helpful with booking activities. Most hotels in Cabo give you a discount on activities when you are staying at the resort. I didn't end up booking anything through the hotel. It was cheaper to get it at another hotel that I am a member at.

For those of you that like to work out on vacation, the gym was great.

Beware of Time Share Rip off Establishment!

by TripAdvisor Member jeo2

We decided to visit this new establishment. We went on their time share tour, which they promised us a gift, if we met all their criteria. We met all their criteria, yet they then they said we would not get our gift. They also try to sell a special floating use timeshare which is a major rip off. This deal is a five year, two week per year use. They say, if space is available and you book well in advance. My brother purchased this deal and booked well over 6 months in advance, but was not able to get the week he wanted. Since you can not get the weeks you want, how can you use the two weeks. It is my understanding that this is not tradeable either- beware of this establishment!!

Comments