KM 18.5, Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, 23400, Mexico

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Robbed at Dreams Los Cabos

by scbaker about Dreams Resort Los Cabos

We were robbed repeatedly at this resort.

We traveled to Dreams from Calgary in July 2006 for my brother's wedding. We started the vacation with my husband's wallet being stolen from the room. We left the wallet in the room for about 20 minutes while we had a drink. We lost several hundred dollars in US and Canadian cash and all our credit cards, bank cards and ID.

We had to cancel our credit cards but none of the 1-800 numbers we had worked so we had to PAY to use the hotel business center to look up the Mexican numbers. We were charged $52 and $57 US dollars to make two calls from the room to our credit card companies.

The hotel management was very hard to reach and when they did agree to speak with us were smug and told us the resort was full now and was always full so our problems were not really a big concern for them.

We advised all members of our group to lock everything in their safes and two days later my cousins LOCKED safe was opened a he lost money and a camera with all his vacation photos on it. So the safes were not safe and we spent the rest of the vacation with all our valuables in back packs on our backs. We were not able to all go snorkeling together as someone had to watch the back pack on the beach.

The lack of security also left us feeling that we had to watch every move our children made and that we could not let them out of our site for the rest of the vacation.

The resort had a wonderful view and the food was excellent but they had a huge problem with wasps and birds and we did not have one meal with out being swarmed by wasps.

I would not recommend this location to anyone.

So great, we bought a week at the Melia Los Cabos

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Melia Los Cabos so much, that we bought a week timeshare there!!! This resort is about 10-15 minutes from downtown Cabo San Lucas (the hotel offers a shuttle service to their sister resort) so you can truly get away from it all. But, if you want to be where the action is, this is NOT the place for you. Stay downtown at their sister resort, the Melia San Lucas.The Melia staff is superb, the food is great, the pool is beautiful and the ambience is nothing short of spectacular. In the years we have been going there, we have never been disappointed. The last time we went, they were adding on another building. And even during construction, everything went smoothly. We do recommend renting a car - it's easier to get into San Jose del Cabo and even to La Paz, if you like. No matter what they tell you, La Paz is a good 2.5 hours away!!!The golf in Cabo is good but expensive during high season. The Melia Los Cabos is centrally located to all the major courses. I guess what makes us go back to the Melia is the romance. The open air lobby (with a great bar) looks all the way down through the pool area and out onto the Sea of Cortez. At sunset, it is amazing. And, when in Cabo, don't pass up the following restaurants for dinner -- (1) The Office - just before the main downtown area, where the tables are literally in the sand and you can have the best garlic crab you've ever had, (2) the Trailer Park - in the middle of an actual trailer park, where the lobster is 2 tails for $12, (3) Mariscos - authentic and away from the crowds. We once at lunch at the Office, stayed for dinner and ended up back there for breakfast the next day. OUTSTANDING!

Great for past 4 years

I have just read some of the reviews on the Melia Los Cabos. We have gone every year for the past 4 years and are scheduled again at the end of May. We have enjoyed every year. We have never had any problems and have become friends with the staff. They are always very accomodating and very happy to see you. We have taken, children, teens and freinds of our own age and each group have had a wonderful time. Great place to visit and relax.

A great place to stay.......

I love this place! The Colonial architecture, the arched open entry, the bar, the pool, the beautiful mexican music at happy hour & the excellent restaurant by the sea. The staff is friendly & well trained...beautiful views. We stayed during Presidents Week & the place was crowded..I would prefer to NOT stay during a holiday. I've checked out most of the Hotels on the corridor & this is a sure bet...not too espensive nor too big & its romantic. We stayed at La Estancia and wouldn't go back... but, we would to Melia Los Cabos!

Marvelous Vacation!

We just came back from a wonderful stay at the Melia Los Cabos. I had read the reviews before we headed down to Mexico, so I was well warned of any pitfalls. Luckily for us, we found very few faults. Service was above average, sometimes inconsistent. However, the facilities and location of the hotel were exceptional. Their pool is very large and is great for kids or couples. The hotel sits right on the ocean, which is wonderful to look at from the swim up bar. They have 2 tennis courts with lights and plenty of free balls and raquets that you can borrow. I recommend that you bring your own balls because these balls were beat to hell. The courts were well maintained however. The gym had fairly up-to-date equipment and stays busy in the mornings.

The seafood at the restaurant was wonderful. Of course, Cabo is known for their seafood. Beef is average so I'd stay away from it. Prices for food are high for Mexico, but comparable for San Francisco.

We didn't rely on the shuttle for transportation since they were on Mexico time. We taxied in to downtown Cabo but would have easily used the public bus that stops right outside of the hotel for $1.

Hint: We were not bombarded by time share requests, but were quite leary having read other reviews. Upon arrival, the hotel asks you to "sit down" at their welcome desk. We initially refused assuming they were going to bombard us with timeshare. They didn't. The representative was incredibly helpful setting up reservations at hotels, getting discounts for golf, etc, if we agreed to sit through a 75 minute presentation the next morning. It was worth it. We saved so much money on the discounts. Even after turning down the time share man the next morning, the service representative still helped us with reservations etc.

Overall, it's not the Ritz Carlton but it was a wonderful hotel and city to visit. I would definitely go back to the Melia Los Cabos.

Happy choice for young family

My wife, three-year old daughter, and I just returned from a wonderful, six-day stay at the Melia Los Cabos. We had been to Cabo five years ago and stayed at the Melia Cabo Real (which we liked). However, the Melia Los Cabos is a step above. My wife and I had traveled widely before starting a family  China, Mexico, Romania, plus the usual FL, CA, AZ five-star destination resorts -- so we know resort properties well. The Melia Los Cabos was one of the best in its price range.The physical grounds are extremely well maintained with small fountains bubbling in several places. Our room, while not a premium one, had a nice view of the ocean. The room looked freshly finished, well painted, with none of the usual wear and tear you might find in this market. The main pool is nice sized, although the resort was lightly occupied. There s another pool to the east of the hotel suites that looks like it was just finished. The water was cool  but it felt refreshing with temps in the 80s. The built in hot tub gave you a chance to warm up if a cloud came by.The food was superb  we took most of our meals at Las Terrazas restaurant. Service was outstanding. With a three year old there s always something. For example, we asked for ice cream one night for her and rather than just a scoop in a cup, the chef decorated a plate with a chocolate tree complete with red and green fruit ornaments. One evening we joined a wedding party, which was just winding up as we went to dinnerThe staff was very friendly, especially to our daughter and made her feel very welcome. Our maid was excellent, bringing me a special ashtray for smoking on the balcony, setting out bubble bath for our daughter, and getting our room tidied up early in the day. We met other couples with young children so there s a nice level of companionship.The beach is just beyond the extensive pool area  with the usual Mexican  merchants set up just beyond the hotel palapa area. A simple  gracias, no let them know we weren t interested. But some of the other guests seemed real annoyed to just be asked. (Remember you are in a country where three dollars is a days wages  hard to blame Mexicans from trying to sell whenever and where ever they can.)The resort also offers a shuttle to other Melia property in Cabo San Lucas (you have to sign up). I took it to do some shopping, and it ran on time. Others guests found it a great way to get the faster nightlife of Cabo without the noise and distractions of the  city.ÂWe also spent a morning in San Jose  a 20-minute cab ride away -- making this Melia property a perfect halfway point. About the only shortcoming was the usual time-share pitch, but it went away quickly when our daughter started to get fussy.

Beautiful and relaxing hotel

We had a wonderful and relaxing time at the Melia Los Cabos resort. We stayed on the newer side that overlooked the quieter pool and had a view of the ocean. We booked through Sun Trips the day before we left and the tickets and transfers were waiting for us at the airport the next morning. We ate all our meals at the hotel and they were great.
Musicans played on the patio each night and it was wonderful. The service was fine. The prices are comparable to a nice restarant in the Bay Area. Well drinks and wine were about $5. We took a taxi into Cabo San Lucas for $25. The prices at the mall were expensive but right across the street are plenty of vendors with all kinds of trinkets to buy. Don't pay the asking price--bargain with them. The best part of our trip was lying all day in the hammocks on the beach outside of the hotel. As far as the time-share pressure goes--just say "no" to attending their informational meeting. They didn't bother us anymore.
We would stay there again.

Beautiful but expensive!

We Loved the Beautiful Resort at first site.... until we looked at the prices of food... what a rip off! Our dinner was over $100. each night (for my daugher and myself). Customer service is terrible. No one told us anything when we arrived. We had breakfast included in our package.
We had to pay extra for water (and it only included continental breakfast). The spa services were 1/2 price on a promotion - but they tried charging us full price. They finally reluctantly corrected it. We also were wondering if the spa employee's really knew anything about massage, it didn't appear as though they did. The shuttle runs every 3-4 hours to Melia San Lucus in town... and the last one returns at 10:30pm (so much for trying out the night life). We also heard from other guests that unless you own a time share you are not treated the same. Those "club members" have nice shuttles and the "paying guests" have old taxi's. Very segregated and not fair considering the price you pay to stay at the 5-star resort. There is not alot to do so if you are interested in night life, stay in town (about 20 minutes away). My daughter and I liked the private pool opened by the new wing, unfortunately there was no service (food or drinks) on that side, so we had to take our own or walk to the main pool where the services were....very inconvenient considering laying by the pool was the only thing we found that we enjoyed at the Melia Los Cabos. I think the staff needs to smile once in awhile and it would be a great improvement. The rooms & grounds are lovely but the customer service was horrid. We returned home 3/25/04 and would never go back.

Hated it

My husband and I stayed at the Mela for 10 days from 1/17 to 1/27/04.
Let me begin by saying, like everyone else, the timeshare selling situation is out of control. Beware of anyone that walks up to you who is too nice, they are probably trying to sell you something. We did not even have a chance to step off of the plane, and the selling started.
However, lets get to the hotel. I stayed at the Melia which is an 8 minute walk to town. It is located near the Puelbo Bonita and Puelbo rose hotels. We went up to our room and it had two double beds. It was 10:30 at night and I called the front desk. I had paid for an ocean view king size. They advised me that there was nothing available but that the next day they would be able to change my room. At that time, they gave me a new room number and told me to check with them around 3:00 or so. Our first day there we were assaulted by the hotel staff trying to sell us timeshare tours. At 3:00 we checked back and the room they were going to give us was not available, but they would give us another room. Our room was nothing special and the furniture was old.
The restaurants were very poor and no one from the hotel ate at them at night. The worst part of the whole experience at the hotel was that the day after we arrived one half of our pool (which had the pool bar) was closed for renovations. The noise from the power washer alone was enough for us to never stay at a Melia hotel again. However, I loved Los Cabos and so did my husband. He is an avid fisherman and had the time of his life. I would love to go back and say in the same location - but never at the Melia. Next door is the Pueblo Bonita and Pueblo Rose which were much nicer resorts in our opinion. I felt I needed to advise of the awful treatment and experience we had at the Melia.

Good, but not great

Our family of 4 stayed recently, having booked the vacation through Expedia. When you arrive at the airport, the peddling Mexicans begin their assault. Don't talk to anyone until you get outside by the taxis and shuttles. We got a shuttle to the hotel for $48 one way for the 4 of us. A taxi charges $65 for the same trip. Interestingly, a taxi from the hotel back to the airport is only $30. Go figure. Our room was nice, with an ocean view. Our requests for needed items were answered promptly. The swimming pools were great, especially for the kids. The ocean is too rough for swimming though. The restaurant and bar were ridiculously expensive! We bought drinks and snacks in town and took them poolside with us. We ate all but 1 meal in town, and paid dearly for that one (>$100). The shuttle drops you off at Melia San Lucas, a short walk into town. It leaves at 9,11,1,4,7,and 10 but requires same day reservations. Apparently if you own a time-share, the shuttle leaves hourly! The bellboy could not give me a reason for not providing more shuttles when the demand exceeded the supply. Apparently the taxi union is very strong in Cabo and keeps the fares high. The best kept secret in Cabo is the excellent bus system, which runs every 20 minutes until 10:30pm and charges about $1 per person. You board it in front of the hotel, very convenient, and catch it near Puerto Paraiso mall downtown. Look for the Super Plaza grocery store across from Kaboo and Hard Rock cafe to buy your treats and save money! We took a glass bottom boat tour, which was great, since we saw the fabulous rock formations up close and saw many sea lions sunning on the rocks. To get a pass for this we had to suffer through a time-share presentation. The guy, Roberto, acted completely shocked when we declined to join after absorbing 1 hour of BS, and he tried to deny our promised reward until we complained to the concierge, who gave it to us finally. The weather was beautiful all week. If we return to Cabo some day, we will stay closer to town and expect less than ideal service.

Get on the bus & get to the beach!Get on the bus & get to the beach!

Getting some refreshments at Soloman'sGetting some refreshments at Soloman's

my poor husband, painfully embarrassed.my poor husband, painfully embarrassed.

Eileen on an ATVEileen on an ATV

need help with a decision

by kimbo13

I have been investigating all inclusive resorts and have it narrowed down to two. Dreams Los Cabos and RIU Palace. Can anyone give any suggestions? Also, we are looking for that beautiful beach with shallow crystal clear quiet water. Do these resorts have that type of beach? But if not, can we find one close by and how easy is it to get to it?

Does anyone know of another all inclusive that they could suggest?

One last question, has anyone booked with orbitz for a trip?...if so....how did it go?

Re: need help with a decision

by YVRDave

The west coast of Mexico is not known for crystal blue water. If you are determined to go to Cabo, both resorts are great. I think you will find Dreams to more quiet.

Re: need help with a decision

by ViajesdelMundo

I just saw your post, and maybe it is too late....but the RIU in CSL is quite good. My husband's former squadron has had a couple reunions there. If you want more info, let me know, but I see you haven't signed in lately.

Hotels in Cabo San Lucas

by DEW3

I am planning a trip to Cabo the fourth week of June 08. I've never been there before and need a bit of help. Can you guys suggest some nice all inclusive resorts that have a lot of atmosphere and are close to nightlife. Price is not an issue.

Thanks for the help.

by takemether

A friend of mine went to Club Regina Hosted by Crowne Plaza Grand Faro with her husband last month and loved it, including the nightlife. I found a few good links here - http://discountmexicovacations.keenme.com/cabo_discounts.php

Have fun, Cabo is next on my list to travel to!

by YVRDave

The Riu Palace, Dreams Resort,
Here is a prety full list http://www.caboallinclusives.com/

If price is no object, just stay at Las Ventanas.

by travelgourmet

The Riu Palace, Cabo San Lucas, is an all inclusive resort. Fairly new, the resort rivals the resorts in Las Vegas. Great beach area facing the Los Arcos and bay. A super pool, two of them, and great restaurants to choose from for your meals. It sits in the corridor between Cabo (2 miles) and San Juan del Cabo (25 miles). See their website: http://www.riu.com/index.php

Comments