Hotel Mar de Cortez

Avenida Lazaro Cardenas & Vicente Guerrero S/n, Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico

Travelocity Booking.com Hotels.com

• EricB.'s Profile Photo

Secret Little Gem

My fiancee and I took a work-sponsored trip to Mexico. We decided to go a few days early to see the culture, before being stuck on a resort. After doing some research (tripadvisor.com mostly), we decided to go w/ the Hotel Mar de Cortez.

This little baby is right next to Cabo Wabo, the Giggling Marlin, and Jungle -- the most popular bars in Cabo San Lucas. It's also only 2 blocks to the Marina, where there's all sorts of things to do (snorkling, glass bottem boats, scuba, sailing, jet skiing, etc).

If you're looking for a luxury hotel with all of the same things that you'd expect at home, then this is NOT the hotel for you. If you're looking to get off the beaten path a little, don't care about a TV or Phone in the room, then check this place out. Our room was $50/night ($61 after tax). They have a pool, a bar, and plenty of local shops. A vast majority of the guests were American and very friendly.

Unique Quality: Excellent Location.
    Pool.
    Bar.
    Local Shopping.

Directions: Ask a taxi

• They will Rob you BLIND!!

We had over $500 worth of personal property stolen from our rooms- things that shouldn't have to be put into a safe deposit box (like clothes etc). Please do not stay here unless you want to be robbed!!!

• Steavis's Profile Photo

Cheap and Occasionally Cheerful

Staying in the centre of town may be appealing if you look on the map. But the best thing about Cabo is the beach. So unless you are in town for something specific, like Sammy Hagar's Birthday Bash, steer clear.

Unique Quality: This place is aging. That means peeling paint, creaky floors and bar, reception and pool areas that have seen better days. But the queue for tickets when Sammy holds his birthday bash is right across the street. In other words, it's a wise choice for one night a year.

Directions: In the middle of cabo. Gym next door is handy

• Sonador3's Profile Photo

Great Budget Hotel

The Mar De Cortez is a colonial style hotel located in downtown Cabo about a half block from Cabo Wabo. It's one of the 3 original hotels on Cabo. I've stayed here on 4 seperate occasions, and each time it's been great. This is a hotel that caters mostly to fishermen, but the great location and excellent prices for what you get make it perfect for anyone. Most of their clientele are repeat customers.

First off the staff is extremely friendly. I had 4 years between my first and second trip, and they still remembered me!

This hotel has been owned by the same family for the last 30 years, and many of the employees have been there for years and years.

Their in-house restaurant -- Spencers -- is outstanding, and I would go there to eat even if I wasn't staying there.

Unique Quality: Charming Colonial-style building, friendly staff and great prices -- truely an incredible value!

Directions: At the corner of Avenida Lazaro Cardenas & Vicente Guerrero, about a half block from Cabo Wabo. Can't miss!

More about Hotel Mar de Cortez

Great bang for the buck!

by TripAdvisor Member B_Nosubstitute

Just got back from Cabo last night - stayed at this place. Great location in downtown! No phones in-room and the only TV is in the open air bar for your CNN fix. Very clean and relaxed, but spartan. The AC in the rooms is a window unit that we needed at night to mostly drown the roosters. The restaurant was great - ate three meals there and were impressed! The only time I got the "runs" was after eating the last night at Mi Casa - a well recomended place a few blocks away. Plenty of good drinking water, hot showers and daily maid service. Staff is friendly, but don't rely on traveler's checks... Almost no one in Cabo honors them, including the hotel store. Great place to stay. We didn't swim in the pool, but others seemed to enjoy the lounges and water. The restaurant staff willingly sealed up the fish we harvested and froze them for us to take home from our sport fishing trips (no marlin, just tuna and dorado). Would stay here again if we hadn't bought a time share...

Good Option for the price

I stayed at four hotels in Cabo over the period of a week. I am bringing down a large group and wanted to find the best deal under $70. Following is my summary.

Cabo Inn- worst of the four but not bad.
Siesta Suites- Decent option but nothing great.
Norman's the Mexican Inn- Cute clean place but no pool. Better than the preceding two hotels.
Mardi Cortez-The best bargain hotel going. The service was great and the pool area was nice. Also, great location. Only knock, the rooms were just fair and the place is really loud. In the case of our group, that might be a plus.

Best Place in Downtown Cabo

by TripAdvisor Member BlarghNYC

I stayed for a week at the Mar De Cortez with my GF. We chose one of the "Garden" rooms on the 2nd floor and it was definetly worth it. This hotel really was the best thing about the whole vacation and I would wholeheartedly reccomend it to any other "middle class" traveller's out there. The Good: CLose to EVERYTHING to do in Cabo San Lucas. The in house restaurant "Spencer's" is a good breakfeast place though the owner is a stupid gringo prick who wouldn't let me watch football in the bar, despite the fact that it was empty, 9 O'clock on a tuesday night. Waddya gonna do ? ;) The staff are really nice and helpful, the pool is immaculate, the rooms as well. I loved not having a TV in the room but I admit it would have been nice to have a little fridge - we got an icebox (actually, our maid gave one to us!) and that little problem was fixed. The Bad: The AC is more like a big noisy fan - we went there in January so we didn't care but if you're going to go in the summer that might be something to consider.

We also had a bit of a problem with a guy who tried to sneak into our room early on the last morning before we left. He was obviously a down and out dirtbag, not a very scary looking guy, but it was obvious he thought we were gone and he wanted to rob the room. When he saw me he jumped back onto the roof, handed me some line about "fixing the AC" and scampered away. We told the front desk and her was arrested later that day when he tied to come back! What an idiot. In any case, it was happily resolved. The point is the Hotel is not really "secure". They offer free "lockboxes" so if you're carrying valuables, or even passports, it might be a good idea to leave them there. Hope this helps - Good Luck. BTW, yes, the roosters crow every morning - it was just barely audible from our room but if you're facing the street - who knows? If you can spare the extra $10 a night for one of the better room I think it's probably worth it.

OK by me

by TripAdvisor Member trhuntington

This is the first place I stayed in Cabo, and that was 10 to 12 years ago. I went there with a buddy of mine, and since neither of us had been there we didn't know where to stay so he booked us in at the Westin, which was brand new at the time. We were just 2 guys looking to check out the town and have a good time. When we got to the Westin it was pretty obvious we were in the wrong place. It was very nice, and as it turned out a few years later I bought a time share there and I love it, but at the time it was expensive beyond belief. $4.00 beers, a $20.00 cab ride to town (one way), and a lot of other reasons caused us to re-locate into town. The cab driver deposited us at the Mar de Cortez, the room was about $30.00 a night, had a pool, a bar, a restaurant and was a block or two from everything. Just what we were looking for. If you want fancy you can find fancy. If you want to drop big bucks, you can do that too. But for a place right in the heart of town, that won't break your bank, this one is hard to beat. I might add that while we were there I saw the biggest cockroach I have ever seen in my life. But hey, is this Mexico or what?

Cant wait to go back.

My bestfriend and I planned this trip last minute and decided to stay at Hotel Mar De Cortez during November 2004. The rooms were simple with no TV or phones. This we didnt mind since we didnt planning on being in the room other than to sleep and shower. The hotel's location is perfect. It is walking distance to the clubs, restuarants, shops and the beach. One day we did take a taxi back from the beach and it was about $6. I really didnt care for Squid Roe because the night we went there (Saturday) the music was all spanish and I guess I thought maybe they would play some american music but guess not. We ate at Quesadillas two nights and the steak tacos were to die for!! Everyone there is extremely friendly. I didnt care for the whitsels everytime we walked down the street especially at night. We also ate at the Amazon the first night we were there and the view was very nice which made for some great pictures. Its right on the marina. We did go snorkeling at lovers beach and I do recommend taking water and snacks with you. There is some great spots for pictures there too. We loved the fact that everywhere we went drinks were two for one. And everynight there is a ladies night where ladies get to drink for free. We learned the hard way to pace yourself when your sitting in the sun all day drinking 2X1 Mai Tai's!! The only complaint we have is there was hardly anyone our age (mid-20's) everyone was much much older. We would love to go back again maybe during spring break or something. But we would definetly stay at Hotel Mar De Cortez again!!! The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Spring Break Special

What a perfect spot to stay. Right downtown and walking distance to everything. Our spring breakers loved it. The food is great at Spencers and the $2.50 breakfast is well worth it. The staff is so helpful and always wanted to please you. We would definitely go there again. If you stay at one of the resorts you better be prepared to pay for taxi rides! Not at the Hotel Mar de Cortez.

Comments