Riu Santa Fe Hotel

Tags

Family Travel Singles Desert
See Amenities

SALMONELLA

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 6, 2013

SALMONELLA

People become infected with salmonella by swallowing the bacterium. This can happen from eating contaminated food that has not been completely cooked, or has been contaminated after preparation. Salmonella can also be spread from person to person when an infected individual does not thoroughly wash his or her hands after using the toilet.

This is my first time writing a Review.....
I SENT TO RIU

i know its late on this Review. But i have to let people know what my experience was at this resort. To be careful on what you eat here!

I had a beautiful exerperience here. the resort is beautiful. The service is great. But who would ever thing that i would get sick off the food here.

i stayed here for 7 days and the last day i ate at the buffet a plate of a variety of seafood and within 20 minutes broke out in a rash. Keep in mind i am not allergic to seafood. Which is my favorite food.
i went to the front desk and told them that i have a red rash and itching all over my body and feel sick. They advise me to go to my room and they would have a doctor right away. Which they did. The doctor was there within 20 minutes. He gave me a shot of 1gram of Benadryl for allergys. he said i had symptoms to allergys. i told him that i have eaten seafood all my life and have never had an allergy. Well he gave me the shot. WHICH COST ME $300 THAT I PAID!!!

The following day i went to complain about how much i paid for the shot and i wanted them to reinburse me for the money that i paid. being that it was there fault! They responded that i needed to email them with my complaint.... I spoke to several managers and they all directed me to email the resort.....

i came back, had blood work done. Only to find out that i had picked an infection from there food...

i have traveled to many places and i have never gotten sick from the food till i came here. its a wakeup call to consider what i eat now if i travel to a resort now. And because if this i am now scare to travel and eat food at any resort.

i called and spoke to many supervisor and they all directed me to email my complaint.

My stay here was beautiful and i enjoyed my self up until the last day that i became sick off the food......

Please be careful here with the foooood.......because if you get sick you will have to pay for medication that is very expensive. And they will just give you the runaround when it comes to geting your money back for all the doctor fees that are so costly.

till this day i still have digestive problems, ever since i came here. The doctor said i picked up this infection from a worker not washing his had after going to the restroom and then came back to handle the food i ate!!! is that grossssss

Disappointed!! because up until that moment everything was beautiful and perfect. it was the perfect vacation. But in the end a nightmare of the after math!

The Supervisor didnt care.... they just give you the run around to email....

Horrible safety issues at this resort. BE CAREFUL!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 22, 2011

Horrible safety issues at this resort. BE CAREFUL!!

We arrived at this hotel as a family, excited for our vacation. First night went well, the next day all the horror started. We booked excursions as a family to enjoy (which we ended up canceling), right after that we all went into the pool facing the ocean. Not even 5 minutes passed and an umbrella took off with the wind and hit my dad square in the head while he was in the pool. There was a round 4 1/2 inch solid piece which hit him on the top of the head. He immediately grabbed his head and neck and was in and out of consciousness. I immediately altered the staff which had no idea what to do... Of the 5 of 6 staff members around not one was trained on emergency procedures. All they wanted to do was bring a weal chair and move him to the lobby so that it did not cause a scene. He clearly had a neck injury and they wanted to move him in a weal char! Unacceptable! We asked for a doctor and an ambulance and they continued to insist we bring him to the lobby.

Finally after 20 min, other guests had gathered around a few of which were nurses and firefighters from North America. Together we used a flat pool chair and carefully lied him down then lifted him out of the water to safety. One guest (also a firefighter) then with his hands secured my dad's neck. None of the hotel staff helped, they just watched. I then asked for the manager, after she arrived she was not very helpful either. 45 min after this incident happened, the onsite doctor arrived and assessed the situation and then authorized an ambulance. 1 hour after the incident happened the ambulance arrived. EMS had issues getting the back board and neck brace secured. The doctor had to take over and do it.

The ambulance could only take one of us with them to the hospital. When my mother asked if the hotel would take her and my brother the manager told us to take a cab!!! Another guest who was watching all of this unfold offered a ride as he had rented a car.

Finally a full afternoon and evening later, with a $6,500 USD we returned to the hotel. My dad had a neck brace on and pain killers for the neck / head pain. The doctors said he had suffered an over extension of the of the vertebrae as well as a concussion. They also said he had a compression on his C6 vertebrae which was preexisting, however he has never been injured there before. The hotel management was not the least bit concerned with what happened. It was like they did not even care that someone got injured due to negligence on behalf of the hotel.

I asked the hotel manager what she was going to do about the umbrellas (none of them were secured, in fact another went flying 5 min after my dad got injured and nearly hit another individual, one also nearly missed a 5 year old girl prior to). She responded that she will have to talk with the manager in Cancun and then decided what to do.. She also said that if a decision was made action would not happen anytime soon.

Couple days after the incident i walked around with my camera and took a video of all the umbrellas, some had pins, but were rusted open, others had worn out threads. Some were missing pins altogether. we found one which was wedged down with a twig and another with paper folded up. Out of all the umbrellas only one was secured and that was because a guest who was sitting there secured it. The hotel staff watched as i went around to all the umbrellas. The next day someone went around with a drill and screwed all them down to the base... .

A few days after the incident the hotel offered us a dinner for 4 at the buffet next door at the Riu Palace. We declined as we found that insulting, they can do better. We have a buffet at our hotel as well.

The day before we were leaving the hotel manager said she could offer us a 7 day stay to be used within a year, not including flight and we would have to sign a release. We declined that as well. They can again do better. Our entire vacation was ruined! My dad was and still is in a neck brace, we were very limited to what we could do...

They refused to pay the hospital bill as our insurance would cover it. If our insurance covers it, it will result in increased premiums. Furthermore, since its group insurance, it will increase for everyone who is part of that group.

A few things to remember about this hotel:

1) the staff is not trained on how to respond to any medical emergency
2) no medical equipment on site
3) no back board on site
4) no life guard on site
5) huge language barrier

As a potential traveler, whatever you decide, please be careful as you do not want to be hurt in this hotel or country.

On a side note, we had cockroaches and bugs in our room. Bugs ended up in our luggage. We had to get the room and luggage sprayed while we were there.

Unique Quality: The hotel itself is very beautiful; the thing you have to ask yourself is what would happen if you got seriously injured while you were down there...

Not Bad.........Not the Best.......

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2010

Had a f*cking blast........except for one thing THERE WAS NOT 24 HOUR ROOM SERVICE........as a matter of fact.........there was no room service at all and the 24 hour bar that has food........is in the boonies and doesn't really have any food.........well, they have some if you're lucky.......but they don't re-stock so if it runs out your screwed. Not really 24 hour food bar at all.

Staff was slow if you called to request anything be brought to the room. Pillow......soap.....matches.....bellboy to pick up luggage, etc. It would require at least three calls and about an hour's time or so before they decide to show up.

You need reservations for the restaurants on the hotel grounds. You need to get up at 7 am and stand in a long line with other folks to make reservations at the concierge desk. You will take whatever reservations for whatever restaurant is available at whatever timeslot they give you. You can only make reservations for 2 days at a time.......one for same day (which will be a bllsh*t reservation at 9pm in a sh*tty restaurant and one extra reservation for the next day ONLY! Gee.......don't remember that in the description of the hotel........

Liquor on-site sucks ass........they don't know how to make any drinks other than house specials which include tons of sugar and the tiniest splash of the cheapest generic liquor. You literally have to drink for several hours to catch a small buzz.

Weather was f*cking freezing!

However.........I had the best f*cking time EVER.........I met tons of great people and felt like I went with a whole group of friends. I partied in the City and had tons and tons of fun. Great f*cking time.........GRRRRRRRRRREAT!

Loved, loved, loved the bartenders.......and the security guards at the bars...........they are wonderful and friendly and my crew and I absolutely had a blast. I eventually found a secret stash of decent tequila from one of the bartenders and was eventually able to get a good buzz without consuming eight pounds of sugary drinks with splashes of generic water down liquor.

Hotel was clean. Buffet staff are nice and very attentive. Restaurant staff are slow........but they're busy and running a tight ship.......still......rather inattentive and forgetful when asked for something.

All in all it was a good time. Had it not been for the bartenders and all the wonderful party people I hung out with the trip would have kinda sucked.

Oh yeah........and the quality of the food at the buffets was pretty good considering it was an all-inclusive resort.

Unique Quality: No jaccuzi's..........

Nearby Riu Santa Fe Hotel

Riu Santa Fe Hotel

• Riu Santa Fe Cabo San Lucas
  • Riu Santa Fe Los Cabos
  • Riu Sante Fe
  • Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Address: 23453 Cabo San Lucas B.C.S , Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, 23410, Mexico

Amenities at Riu Santa Fe Hotel

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Cabo San Lucas Travel Forum

Need advice about Cabo San Lucas, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Cabo San Lucas and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cabo San Lucas hotel reviews

Money
Driving
Tourist Spots
Favorites
Good, not great, place for dinner.
Hertz Car Rental Cabo San Lucas
Avoid Jungle Cruise at all Costs
Things to Do
Cabo Valet Travel & East Cape Wings is a Rip Off!
DO NOT BUY A TIMESHARE IN MEXICO
Nice beach restaurant/bar
Great Service
The After Hours Tour
The Arch
NEW CABO TERMINAL #2
Transportation
Don't be mislead-do this instead
Tacos Tacos Tacos
Restaurants
Casa Maria & Zen-Mar a magical experience!
Shopping
Lover's Beach is a Must-See!