Avenida Solmar #1, Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, 23410, Mexico

Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• ampcarlos's Profile Photo

Our Hotel

We stayed here for 4 nights. It is on a secluded beach less than one mile from the center of Cabo San Lucas. There's an activity center offering reservations for doing just about anything! Our room was on the second floor with a balcony had a view of the Pacific. During our stay they were doing some construction, so that was kind of unpleasant. The rooms were clean and large!

• Solmar SO-Sweet's

Very nice Hotel..
    Bar food .. well for all I had was good no complaints from me. Eat out every nite.

Sorry No photos.. before the time of digital.

Hotel Layout.
    Nice big Reception
    Looking out the front door you see the town of Cabo San Lucas, the Harbour and the Sea of Cortez.
    When at the pool in front of you is the Pacific Ocean, the rooms are to the left and right. the Hotel is not a high rise, ground floor and 1st floor. My room was looking over the Pacific.

Beautiful setting very Romantic, but unfortunately for me I was with a friend and not my girlfriend.

The rooms were of a good size and comfortable I had no complaints with the Hotel.
    I would stay there again, if I went back to Cabo.

Unique Quality: Just loved the pool.. after a long day diving. I used to walk through the reception straight out to the pool dive in and swim up to the bar and order a beer sit there on the stool in the pool looking out into the Pacific ocean .. My kinda relaxing...

Most Southern Hotel in Cabo..
    Friendly staff..

I don?t remember much else..
    More to the point I don?t remember anything bad about the Hotel..
    And bad things are always remembered.

Directions: Back to town a bit of a walk 15-20 minutes...
    Not to worry..
    Plenty of Taxi's if needed. ya lazy sod..

More about Solmar Suites

Will return to Solmar

I too am very surprised by the bad reviews of Solmar, we were there over July 4th and I wasn't going to review until I saw so many unfavorable posts here. We were quite pleased with the property and will probably return. We stayed in a 3rd floor 1B OV suite, which was *clean* and very large. 2 balconies - one in the bedroom & one in the living room. The staff was pleasant, helpful and genuine. The beach is the big draw here - it is simply breathtaking and private, you don't have to deal with all of the vendors and overcrowding that is the case on the public swimming beaches. 3 pools, a great ocean front jacuzzi, not too many children (one of the Medano beach properties would be better for kids). The restaurant was very good, and the open air bar is worth making time for. It's true the walk from town may be a tiring uphill climb, but why not just rent a car? You'll want to get to the snorkeling sites along the corridor before you leave, and if you have a car and like to dive or snorkel, Cabo Pulmo up the coast is a must.

Read all of the reviews, consider the sophistication of the travelers writing them, and make your own decision. As for us, if we return to Cabo we will definitely return to Solmar.

Solmar a BIG disappointment!

I, along with my family (husband and two teenage sons) stayed at the Solmar July 9 - 14 2004. I had gone online and viewed the pictures and thought I had researched it pretty well. It also had a "gold crown" rating. This place was a big disappointment from the moment we walked into the very shabby lobby. The desk service reminded me of the show "Reno 911." Nobody knew what they were doing, check-in was slow (we waited in the lobby about an hour and a half) only to be shown to our 1970's era room which had been switched and dumped on us at the last minute. Even though I had called previously and had a different room assigned originally, we were stuck. Also, we were told "don't put so much as a toe in the water" the riptides were so dangerous. Solmar requires that their guests put up a credit card for the pool towel cards to the tune of $16 a piece if towel cards are not returned, and then you still have to beg for a shoddy bright canary yellow pool towel. If there was any advantage to the Solmar, it was the wonderful hardworking maids who had no problems with extra towels etc. I have learned from Solmar to ignore the "crown" ratings and read reviews from folks who have been there.

A Stinky pit of hell surrounded by paradise

I stayed at Solmar Suites from June 7th to the 11th, 2004. I was in one of their "world renouned" ocean view juinor suites and it ruined my vacation. Their "Satelite TV" was comprised of eight (8) horrible fuzzy channels. The reception was even bad. Not to mention they were all either in spanish or had spanish subtitles. Boooo!! Also the entire time I was there, whenever I tried to make a phone call at any phone in the hotel, I would pick it up and you would here it dialing in the backround. After attempting 10 phone calls, i called the front desk. They sent someone "right away", so of course he arrived 30 minutes later. (I guess the 30 second walk to my room from the desk was all uphill for him). When he arrived, he did the same thing as me, attempted a few phone calls. Then on my third day there, while I was in the shower, the drain in my bathroom, flooded the entire room. HUman poooo floated up in little granulated bits into my room. (Little did I know) So I stepped out of the shower only to almost fall face first into the poooo. (Disguisting)!!!! I went and told the front desk, and I asked if it was possible for my room to be upgraded to a larger "suite". He then rudely snapped no at my and gave me some excuse about how they were more money. I told him I knew that, but I had just been flloded my poooo. Then he moved me right next door. Yeah!!!; not!!! Also the beds were almost unbarable to sleep on. Booo!!! not a "world renound" place! Then on the last day, I ordered five (5) box luches for the passengers on my private plane. I asked for them to be ready at 2:45 because thats when I had to leave. I now know that staying at the Solmar, I should have asked for them to be ready at 12:00 if I really neede them ready by 2:45. So long story short, they are ready at 3:15, but 5 arent ready, 10 are and I kindly tell the waiter that I only paid for five (5) box lunches and that is all that I am taking. So then, I am late to pick up my passengers, Then I look inside of the lunch boxes, not only are the sandwiches tiny and dry, but there are 30 sandwiches altogether. There are 6 sandwiches in each box!!! So I go and pick up much better sandwiches at Subway. !!!

Beware: Read this review before booking this resort

After researching this property over the internet, and seeing all the beautiful pictures, we decided to give it a try. We booked a Monday through Saturday stay and felt confident that we had made the right decision, in spite of some of the awful reviews we had come across before hand...

Upon arriving at Solmar, my husband and I checked in and handed the woman behind the desk our check-in card. She told us that her records had my husband and another man's name, not mine and continued to argue even though our confirmation had both our corrrect names and room description. We had a 1st floor patio walk out with a king sized bed (Junior suite). She informed us that King size beds were only on the 2nd floor...not on the 1st AT ALL. So we wanted our 1st floor walk out and decided to settle for the double beds--because of the beautiful view....and beach accessibility.

The rooms were dark, wet, unclean, and mildewy. We asked for a refridgerator for our room like what we thought we were paying for, and they gave us some dumb ass excuse, that we couldn't even understand. I knew that our pillow cases hadn't been laundered at the Solmar all week because my mascara was still smeared on mine when we left and "housekeeping" had "been there" 3 times before we checked out.

Our phone hardly ever worked and we could not sleep on the cement slabs with a sheet they called a bed. We had heard that the beds here were hard, but our thinking was that we wouldn't be in the room very much anyway, so how bad could they be?...TERRIBLE! So bad that we never got any rest at night and woke up so sore and sleep deprived. I kept my sandals on in the shower because I didn't trust that the floors were even clean...there were bugs and the air condtioner constantly dripped water out onto us while we were sleeping. I actually woke up with a sore throat and headache everyday that we spent there. I'm not sure if it was because of the mildew or what. We would have been more comfortable sleeping outside by the pool in the lawn chairs if it weren't for the big black bees that were like sparrows with stingers.

The staff were down right rude, telling us the restaraunt closed at 9:30 when it closed at 10:00, directing us down to the bar for dessert, who then directed us back to the restaraunt...

We actually became so frustrated that we checked out 2 days early and checked into the Hilton Los Cabos Beach and Golf resort. When we checked out, the woman asked us why we were checking out early. We told her that the beds were terrible and the rooms was below average. She just looked at us and grinned like she had heard it a lot. No apology or anything.

We got a junior suite at the Hilton facing the sea with a King sized bed and jaccuzi for about the same price. Now there's a 4 diamond rated resort with a swimming beach! We new as soon as we stepped into the hotel that it was going to be terrific. The staff was so wonderful and polite, they were willing to do anything for us, it's brand new so everything is just polished and clean and beautiful. 24 hour room service with exquisite food and service. The consierge even called us the next day to see if we needed anything and if we were happy. The beds are soft, clean and wonderful with headboards-- unlike the beds at the Solmar that are just pushed up against the cold, dark, damp, cement, moldy walls!

It truly was a breathtaking view from our balcony at the Hilton. They do a fireworks display at night and they are very very family friendly.--(Although we didn't bring our small children). We will next time. The pools are so big even people that don't have children don't notice them.

Solmar had a pretty view, and some pretty scenery...but that's it. If you want to have a nice vacation in Cabo San Lucas with luxury and fantastic scenery stay at the HILTON LOS CABOS BEACH AND GOLF RESORT or higher.

Solmar suites is below average--pathetic. If you go there, you will be unhappy.

It's a freakin' vacation people!!!

Oh my gosh! I read some of the other reviews and don't really understand you people. Solmar is great! It ain't Trump Towers, but it is a great little getaway. We have stayed there 5 times and would never stay anywhere else in Cabo. OK, the service at the pool is slow. You are in freakin' Mexico people!! Everything is slow. Chill, you are on vacation. We LOVE the slow pace. We LOVE the wait staff. We call them by name because the same staff has been there for all 5 years we have been there. Our in-laws have been going for 13 years... same staff!!!! Solmar treats the employees right and therefore keeps the best. If you are looking for a plush, modern vacation, go somewhere other than Cabo. If you want to relax and enjoy your days beside the pool, Solmar is the place. Party at night in downtown Cabo. It is great there too. We have never had any problems with the rooms. Yes, there is no Internet at Solmar. Great!!! I'm on vacation. For you people who are complaining about not having Internet or great phone service... I think I know you. You are the ones that aggitated the heck out of me while I was trying to relax at the pool. Get off your cell phone and enjoy your VACATION. Solmar is my home away from. Only slower...

First timer and potential last timer.

We stayed at Solmar from March 15th to 22nd. We were on an RCI exchange and I was very excited as it was my first time to Cabo. I had been to Cancun three times and decided I would "upgrade" to the nicer part. I received a "penthouse suite" at Solmar as my exchange and couldn't be happier. Due to weather delays in the Midwest and horrible flights through Mexico, we knew we would be arriving late, so we decided to phone ahead while we where still at O'Hare. We were actually hung up on the first time and then second time they told us that we needed to be there by 7 pm. I informed them that there was no way we would be there by 7pm and they should expect us by midnight. We were informed that we might not have a room for that night. How could we not have a room? You are expecting us right? Well luckily we made it there (even after the horrible drive from the airport) and we received our room. It was very dark and gloomy. Nothing like I had expected a "penthouse" (as they kept referring to it). The master bathroom was small which was odd because the shower area could fit about 20 people in it. We only ate breakfast at the resort which was worthless and overpriced. Orange juice was like two shots glasses and was $4. The timeshare people were more than obnoxious. The word NO must not be in their vocabulary. The journey to and from the marina was awful as the roads are not lit and there is a huge hill with stairs that are poorly constructed. The staff was rude especially the bartenders by the pool... Never saw the maids but the rooms were always clean. It was very very windy and there were days when you would have your chairs blow over by the pool and the whale watching tours where great. I loved Cabo and I loved the area but Solmar was not worth it... Playa looked beautiful but i'm sure that's overpriced as well... Solmar is very old and needs renovation but they are too busy putting the money into the Playa Grande resort. Next time I'll stay somewhere else.

Not Five Star!

by TripAdvisor Member MariaMilwaukee

After a pretty extensive search on the internet, reading trip advisor and other reviews, I selected SOLMAR for our stay, May 29th-June 3rd. I would give the service (ranking 1 being the worst, 5, the best), a 1 at best, the rooms a 2, the food a 3 and the location a five. We are laid back, personable, have somewhat of a command of the Spanish language and tip well--but that didn't matter when it came to the pool side and sometimes the evening meal service (maid service was a 5 though). No complaints on the rooms (since we don't spend alot of time in them) but the 70's decor, small bathroom counter and poor lighting, rate it a 2. The view from our second floor balonly and the surrounding area was spectacular and if you enjoy crashing waves lulling you to sleep, you'll get over the non-luxurious room. We found the food average-won't say anymore. The location is easy to walk into town and it is secluded but the overall service and the attitude of the management, makes the SOLMAR experience a major disappointment and not worth the money. They seem to have put their energies and five star attitude in their newest resort--Playa Grande. Last but not least, if your active, don't book anything through them...go directly to Amigos del Mar if you're divers (Cabo Plumo is a must), golf Cabo del Sol and go down to the marina and book your fishing trips there. Stops in town should include the Gigglin' Marlin and Skid Roe, along with Cabo Wabo too.

Playa SolmarPlaya Solmar

Playa SolmarPlaya Solmar

Playa Solmar at sunsetPlaya Solmar at sunset

by colstein

Middle age couple - burned out - just need quiet relaxation. Has anyone stayed at Solmar Suites?

What are the "garden suites" like?

Re: Solmar Suites

by MonoBichi

I have never stayed at Solmar, but if the "Suites" are the same as the Hotel...on the beach below the Finisterra...then if I were going to Cabo tomorrow and could afford them I would stay there in a minute. The beauty and drama of that setting is unique.
The beach in front is not really safe for swimming, though very powerful and might produce whale sightings.
But by walking south and climbing over the rocks you can walk to Lover's Beach, one of the world's most beautiful swimming holes.

RE: Solmar Suites

by Mmoulin

Great place to stay, quiet, close to town, resturant, bar. I have stayed there many times, right on the Ocean, absolutley beautiful.

RE: Solmar Suites

by markcabo40

This is a great place just to relax. Most people are couples that are older.
Best place to walk on the beach its all private and NO vendors.

Comments