Villa Del Arco

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about Villa Del Arco

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member jahMont

My wife and I visited Villa Del Arco for a week this Feb. We had a great stay. The hotel is very clean, the people are friendly, and the staff very helpful. The hotel was quiet and peaceful and plenty of staff to handle any request for service. I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends that wanted to go somewhere to relax.

Great week in Cabo !

by TripAdvisor Member payswell

We have been coming to Cabo for many years now, and have stayed at several properties including the Pueblo Bonito Rose', Villa del Palmar, and with no question, Villa del Arco outshines all that we have stayed at. The grounds are under construction, but it posed no problem to our family. We loved our 2 bedroom unit in building 3. The service at the pool was fantastic, the servers were attentive and got food and beverages back to us in a speedy fashion. Although we do tend to eat our evening meals in town, we did enjoy the lunch menu at the pool. Cabo prices are no more expensive then most places we have travelled, including Jamaica, the Bahamas, Hawaii etc. We were never hassled about the time-share program, but as this is how many here make their living, a polite no should suffice. Bottom line in Cabo is treat the locals with respect and kindness, and it will be given back to you. We will be back in October, to enjoy all that Villa del Arco and Cabo has to offer.

Christmas in Cabo San Lucas

by TripAdvisor Member WTWD

I booked our family Christmas vacation in March of 2006 with the intent of securing excellent accommodations early. Using Travelocity, I contracted for a 2 bedroom suite at Villa Estancia. All was fine until our arrival when we found Villa Estancia apparently overbooked. Management decided to switch us to the lesser property, Villa del Arco, which they also control. Del Arco is very nice, but it is not Villa Estancia. I had to "discover" their perfidy by which time it was too late to fight a battle.

Cabo is a beautiful setting. The positives are the following:

*Excellent accommodations
*Delightful Beach
*Good Restaurants
*Lots of potential activities
*Wonderfully friendly people

The negatives are the following:

*More expensive than Cancun and Maui
*Nothing is included unless it is specifically pointed out (not even beach sport activities with the hotel such as sea kayaks).
*No cultural activities (unless you consider beer and tequila cultural)
*Constant sales pitches by industrious street sellers who comb the beaches for potential customers

Having been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Aruba, and Maui, I would recommend returning to Cabo only if sport fishing and drinking are on the agenda or if you do not plan on leaving the hotel enclosure.

front desk staff needs training

by TripAdvisor Member nmolles

I have visited Cabo San Lucas several times and have stayed at the Villa Del Palmar in the past. I have always enjoyed VDP very much. This time we thought we would try Villa Del Arco. We had a wonderful stay. I would like to let you know the pros and cons of our stay just so you know what to expect if staying at VDA.

Cons:
Front desk staff needs training. They are not very friendly. I have stayed at lots of different properties all over the world and the training that they give at VDA needs improvement. We arrivied late in the evening and tried to walk in with a smile on our faces and a cheery attitude. But we were not greeted the same way. They pretty much didn't care about us and couldnt' wait to check us in and turn us over to the time share rep. We told them thank you for the room and we would check back in the morning to talk to the rep as we had a very long day of travel. I guess they didn't like that to much. We also informed them that we have a dear friend that lives in Cabo and that our friend would be visitng us quiet a bit during our stay . They were nice enough to add his name to our room so we wouldn't have problems with security . But we did. They made us go through major security every time this gentleman came for a visit. It got to be ridicuous. Especially the last day when he had just come by to tell us to have a good flight and we had to fill out paper work on him for him to be able to even stand in the lobby area. Please. I am a paying guest. They treated me as if I were the enemy, No warmth at all. In fact on check out they also were very unfriendly. So it just wasn't the check in group that had a problem. Okay enough about that.

Pool towels- When you check in you are given a card for pool towels. You exchange the card for towels each day and then collect the card each afternoon. At the end of the trip you must turn in the towel card for each person or owe $25.00 per person. Come on this is a luxury resort. I have never been charged for a pool towel. Or been threatened to be charged for one. I am on vacation. Once again I felt like the enemy.

Rooms-This hotel is still being built so there was noise and I was prepared for that noise. I wasn't prepared for the noise I heard all night long. The dripping of pipes in the walls anytime anyone around my room took a shower or went to the bathroom. The noise from the front of the hotel and highway was very loud. Very thin walls. Never experienced that at VDP only at VDA. Also things were typical Mexico. The peep hole in the door was at the 6 foot level. The refrigerator didn't open all the way because the wall was in the way. The shower curtain wouldn't close easily becuase the rod was to big for the rings. The drapery was hung poorly which caused problems when trying to close curtains. The balcony looked right into the neighbors balcony on the next building over. We had a corner unit. Kinda awkward. But all of that is kinda expected in Mexico. Not anything I couldn't deal with. Just for your info. Expect typical things like that.

Pros-
The hotel was beautiful. The grounds were lovely. It is very lush and tropical and beautiful pool areas and the lobby area was also very inviting. You could use your own wireless internet in the lobby for free which was nice. Some people even tried useing the interent from their laptops on the balconies. Not sure if it worked or not. But most all rooms have a nice view. We had a total view of the peoperty out to the arches. It was very nice.

Pool / Beach Service - They were awesome. This is the best service I have ever experienced from a resort. We had a server that brought us a bucket of ice for some drinks we brought from our room. No charge. He did it with a smile and a wonderful personality and several times during our stay. His name was Francisco and he deserves a raise. They need people like him at the front desk. He was very sincere and made sure we had a wonderful time on the beach or at the pool during our stay. He and also others went way above the call of duty. They need to train there front desk staff in the same way that these employees were trained. We did also take advantage of the food service that they have by the pool and the food was pretty good and prices were decent too.

All in all I really like the Villa Del Arco. Location is great. The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are nice. The employees (except the front desk) were great. If you sit on the beach expect the vendors to try and sell you their goods. It's the way they earn a living. We met some very nice ones. For jewelry see MULA. and for the best henna tattoos see MAX. Great guys and great prices.
We are going back for a visit this summer but I think we may go back to Villa Del Palmar. It has more of a party atmosphere and we are taking teenagers with us. Villa Del Arco is a little more for couples much quieter and more relaxed then Palmar. Have a great time!

Nice property but still needs work

by TripAdvisor Member utsixpack

I stayed at the Villa Del Arco over Xmas and had a great time.

A caution is that the resort is still under construction. I asked the front desk when things would be complete. They indicated that the fitness center would be completed in March and that the building currently under construction would be completed in June. The hammering and sawing can be a little grating when you are trying to relax by the pool. I did notice that construction ceased on Saturday and Sunday.

There were planty of chairs by the pool and people do run down early and drape their towels over the choice chairs so you might as well do the same if so inclined. It appeared that only about 3/5 of the potentially available rooms were booked when we were there so I would assume that decent chairs will be an issue when the resort is complete.

The beach in front of the resort is fine for swimming. It is a prerequisite for me when booking a beach resort. The only problem if you like to swim is that there is a lot of traffic on the water after about 10 in the morning.

The resort restaurants are very expensive. We paid $20 per person for a breakfast buffet. The food was cold and the service was indifferent. However, the food was higher quality than you would see at an all-inclusive resort. We had decent snacks at the beach bars a short walk down the beach. The two-for-one drink specials at the bars were also a draw.

The rooms were great. Mini kitchens with a micowave, stovetop and refrigerator. We did not have an oven. I liked that the air conditioning controls were located bedside. The bed seemed confortable to me but I am used to a firm mattress. The shower pressure was great.

I did notice that the resort was far more adult oriented than the sister resort of Villa Del Palmar. There were no organized activites or much activity in the pool area. We walked the adjoining Villa La Estancia and the Villa Del Palmar resorts and the Estancia and Arco resorts are adult oriented and quiet and the Palmar resort had a lot of activity.

Beautiful Properly, Nice Pool!!!

by TripAdvisor Member shfz

This review will be long as I’ll try to help you understand vacation in Cabo better.

We stayed here in Arco for 6 nights. Arrived on Dec 15, 2006. Overall the room was very satisfactory, spacious, beautiful, big balcony with ocean & pool view and clean. The construction is still in progress, like any other viewers said, you can still hear the sound of hammering and drilling but not too bad, looks like it will take few more months to complete. If you choose to be in the room during day time, switch on the TV and it will helps to cover the construction’s noise. If you’re out at the pool or at the beach, that noise will be covered by the sound of the ocean and waterfalls & fountains at the pool. The pool was really nice, big and kid’s friendly. The beach was nice too. Plenty of chairs at the pool and at the beach. We can see clearly the Land’s End from our room.

We took the one bedroom suite, which is really spacious with one king size bed in Master and one queen size bed in living, it has 2 bathrooms. The bathroom in the Master is the open concept with Jacuzzi. The queen size bed is not the sofa bed like any other hotel, this bed is the real bed that come out from the wall- you can fold it up during daytime. Dining table with 6 sittings. The beds are extra firm like the bed that you find when traveling to most part of the Asia (staying at 4-5 stars hotel). I see the reason why some of the other users said that they can’t sleep on it. My husband had a problem with the pillow which was too thick, he went out to buy his own Sealy pillow at Costco. I loved the fact that they have washer/dryer in the room, we came back to USA without any dirty laundry! It will be handy if you buy the travel size detergent, dryer sheets and bring some dishwasher soap like the convenient Cascade cube as you need your own soap and detergent for the machines. You can buy that in Cabo too, but everything is expensive here especially if you’re particular about the brand.

At Check In as told by other users, the Front Desk will asked you to go to Concierge for 'complimentary gifts', if you’re like us, doesn’t want to be bothered by Time Share people, just say NO. The Time Share person will come & greet you, as for us, we told them that we’re not interested & please don’t come & knock at our door, we’re glad that they respected our wish.

Electricity is just like US. So you can charge your cell phone, your laptop and your digital camera with no problem. We’re using T-Mobile with international roaming, it has roaming from 2 local providers here, one was Movistar the other one I forgot the name. Keep switching from one to another depending on the area that you’re in. The line was clear.

Toiletries are from Neutrogena. Plenty of towels in the room. Good water pressure in the shower. Nice water, not hard water that will make you have a bad day hair :-). We drink bottled water though.

Here in Mexico, everywhere you go you have to give tips to people, so bringing extra one dollar bill will be helpful. We went to Bahamas earlier this year and we don’t have to tip the Housekeeper. Here in Mexico, I did gave tips on the day that she came cleaning when we’re in the room. On our checkout day, the Housekeeper will leave an empty envelope under the door asking for more tips. So to make things easier, just wait until last day to give her the tips.

Spa is not ready yet. You have to go to Villa del Palmar next door for massage, which will be over US$130. There will be a Trolley (like in San Francisco) that transported to and fro between Arco and Palmar. I couldn’t get the appointment there so I went to downtown and get a better deal, you can get a Swedish Massage for about $$55-$60 for 1 hour and the massage was good too. My husband went for a haircut at one of the salon downtown, it only cost US$10, he gave tip another US$5, so all in was very cheap, US$15 for a haircut.

Beach, when we were there the ocean was calm, my kids enjoyed swimming in it. My husband & my son went on a Jet Ski, they really enjoyed it, it costs US$50 for 30 minutes and they require a credit card just in case you damage their equipment. If you wish to pay cash, they still will need the credit card info to hold on to. The sands, as said by other users, is a bit rough, with bigger granules, I thought it was a good source for exfoliation of the foot though :-) . If you like softer sands, go to the Bahamas or Hawaii because you cannot find it here in Cabo! There will be people selling handicraft items and hair braided service at the beach by locals, but they are harmless, just say NO nicely and they won’t bother you again.

Hotel staffs were friendly even though some of them didn’t speak English.

TV channel, they have mostly all the channel as our basic cable here in USA. TNT and Nickelodeon are all Spanish speaking, which my kids said sort of annoying to see Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, Ned, Drake & Josh and all speaking Spanish. Cartoon Network is in English. Lots of movies were translated to Spanish too, kind of weird to see Tom Cruise, Sandra Bullock and all speak Spanish though :-). ABC channel like David Lettermen is in English. Sports channel like ESPN, Golf, Soccer are all in Spanish.

Internet:
Free wireless only available at the lobby area, they have plenty of leather sofas there. You have to bring your own laptop down there. My husband did that almost everyday and sometimes it was crowded especially in the mid morning. Otherwise, there are plenty of Internet Café in downtown, you can get access for less than US$5 per half hour.

Security:
Hotel has a Security booth at the entrance, you’ll need to give them your room number every time you drive thru it. No visitors are allowed after 8 pm, so if you come with other family members or friends make sure they stay at the same property if you want to go back & forth to each other room.

Money Exchange:
There is one money changer at the airport. You can get 10.50 pesos for US$1. There is one money changer next to Tesoro, downtown, you can get about 10.55 pesos for a dollar. In downtown they accepted US Dollars almost anywhere, 10 pesos for a dollar. Credit Cards are widely accepted especially at downtown.

Car Rental:
Book your car online before you get to SJD Airport. At the baggage claim, there are Car Rental agents, tell them that you’re there, they will call the shuttle. The shuttle will wait for you outside the terminal, Terminal 3, go out and walk to the left.
Check with your Credit Card company for Insurance coverage. We have Amex with International accident coverage, we checked with Amex, it covers up to $10,000 including in the Mexico if you enrolled for international accident coverage, providing that you didn’t take any other insurance that had been offered. So check the fact before you leave. We used Thrifty, they insisted on us taking the Mexican insurance, when we denied, they put $2000 hold on our Amex. You get back the $2000 on the day you send back the car without any damage.
Be prepared to pay toll, they collected toll both ways, to and from San Jose and Cabo. It costs 275 pesos one way. So get your money ready as you exited the airport, the toll booth is a few miles down the road, just before entering San Jose del Cabo.
Gas, only Pemex station that is available in San Jose and Cabo San Lucas. They only accept Pesos, no credit card and no US dollars. The busiest time to get the gas is Friday evening, the line will be long, like 20-30 cars ahead of you in the line. So if you’re flying out on Friday, make sure you filled the gas before that.
Parking, the Mexican people basically park their cars almost everywhere except for the no parking zone which is mark as “E” with a slash on it (like our no parking with the “P”). We were told that if you park in No Parking Zone, the Police will take out your plate number and to get back the plate number is a hassle.
The best and safe place to park the car in downtown is at the mall- a few levels of parking spaces, parking is free. They give you the card, keep it, give it to them when you go out at no charge.
Valet at the hotel, basically you can tip them just US$1 every time you send and collect your car. They just use one claim check during the stay, so be sure to keep the claim number safe.
Driving is on the same side as USA. Slight difference in the system, some of the junctions, if you want to turn left, you have to take right exit to smaller side road, then at the traffic lights you can turn left, looks complicated the first time we saw that. To get to the hotel, because it is a bigger junction, you can turn left from the main road.
You’re in Mexico, so all the signs are in Spanish. Basically all the bigger hotels are on the ocean side (on the left side of the roads), all have signboard pointing to them.

Shopping:
There is a mall at downtown, 5 minutes drive from the hotel. It is a pretty nice mall, you can find Lacoste Store, Tommy Bahamas and a few other designer labels.
There is Costco nearby. So bring your Costco card along. Costco has the same layout as in the USA, so you will find it is really convenient to shop. Things are a bit expensive here in Cabo, at Costco you only get one gallon of milk for the price of two gallons here in USA. Their croissant is better than in the USA though.
There is Home Depot too.
At downtown there will be locals selling handicrafts too. We did buy items from senior citizen and mom with small kids just to help them, because they look desperate and poor. Kind of sad to see mom with newborn baby selling things, we thought if they have choices surely they will not be out on the street selling things.

Dining:
If you think the vacation in Mexico is cheap, think twice!! Cabo is a very expensive town. Food prices at the restaurant are the same price as high end restaurant in the USA. We ate at one of the restaurant by the Marina next to the mall, kind of open setting restaurant, it costs the same as eating at the Tao Restaurant in Venetian, Las Vegas. We also ate at the Seafood Restaurant on top of the mall next to the Italian Coffee Shop, one dish costs average $25-$30 for lunch. For a family of four expect to spent about $100-$150 for one meal. We ate at the Pirate ship by the pool at the hotel, simple menu like seafood salad, small cheese pizza, fish tacos- light foods for a family of 4, it costs us about US$80. To save some money, you can buy frozen food at Costco and prepare your own food at the room since the room is well equipped with cooking pots (T-Fal) and they have a combo Microwave and Convection Oven with a four range stove. Cook your own food once a day can help to save some money, or else expect to spend at least $300/day just for food for a family of 4 (2 Adult + 2 Kids).
Hotel do offer you All Inclusive, which I think $75 extra per person/day, but the choice of foods are limited to what they served at the hotel and kind of boring if you stay there for a week!
Fast food chain like Burger King, Mc Donald’s, Subway and probably a few others are available too. We didn’t eat there so no comment about the price.
No Starbucks here, but local coffee shops are available around the mall, the price of a Mocha will be around 350 pesos. At the Airport (Terminal 1) Mocha costs about 500 pesos.

Airport:
I find it is weird that this airport (SJD) has no trolley at the claim luggage carousel, no chair except at the departure halls. Kind of inconvenient because it took too long to get your bags out. If you have a lot of luggage, you have to use porter service. The tip is about US$1 per bag, but they were really good at loading and unloading your bags especially at the x-ray machines. After the baggage claim upon arrival, you have to put the bags through the x-ray machine again and have to go thru airport security, you have to press a button, if the light turn red, they will open all your luggage for search which is really inconvenient. This is just your luck, after a few green, there will be one red. Alaska will arrive at Terminal 3. Other Airlines like America West, Continental and all, mostly arrived at Terminal 1. Car Rental is at Terminal 1 (not exactly in the Terminal, have to walk a bit over the open space parking), some of it like Alamo, Dollars are a bit further from the terminal. Time Share people are waiting for you as you exited from the security check point so be careful!!

Taxi:
Since we rented a car, we didn’t use taxi. The taxi over here is basically a van. It costs $70 one way from SJD to Cabo. At the hotel, there are plenty of taxis, at downtown also are plenty of taxis too. If only two of you traveling and not renting a car, probably cheaper to take Airport Busses to the hotel. You can buy the bus ticket online before getting there.

Golf:
My husband played at Cabo del Sol. He was saying that the Green Fees here are more expensive than Bahamas, Hawaii or any other good courses in the states. The green fees is about US$300 and for twilight almost US$200, twilight starts at 2 pm, sunset at about 5.30 pm, so it is a bit rush to finish all the 18 holes! The rate on the website was an old rate so be sure to check with them before you go golfing. The Ocean course is beautiful though.

Whale Watching:
We went on the Whale watching cruise, taking a bigger boat called CoboRey. They served a simple buffet lunch. The trip is from 11:00 am to 1 pm (the website said 11-2 though). Kind of hard to spot the whale, we encountered only 2 sightings, both were only the tail parts of the whale. I think going to see Shamu at the Seaworld is a better way to see the whale. They said that you have to wear a swimsuit, we did that, but since this is a bigger boat, you’ll never get wet, so just wear casuals, such as shorts and T-shirt will be okay. The people that serve you sodas and drinks, will come around and collect tips before you leave the boat. There will be the boat photographer, your photo will cost 100 pesos a piece if you choose to buy from him. The boat departed from the Main Marina, not the one at downtown near the mall. They called it ‘le Marina’ (or something that sound like that), it is located about 5-10 minutes drive from downtown. There will be a parking space that costs 150 pesos an hour. When you’re there, there will be lots of people coming to you asking you to buy all kind of boat trips and water activities, they just keep following you around which is annoying sometimes. There will be a local market selling souvenirs at the marina, but one tourist that we met tell us that the prices there are way too high from Mazatlan (she just got back from there).

Passport:
You’ll need a passport to enter Mexico beginning 2007. All USA Permanent Resident regardless Nationality, will need to show the Green Card together with the passport from their country and no Tourist Visa needed. Everybody have to fill up the landing form, and you have to keep it and have to hand it over on your departing day.

Other Tip:
Cabo is basically a desert with lots of cactus trees, you‘ll see just that from the airport before entering the tourist corridor. Downtown is not very clean, public toilet also not as clean as in the USA. It is wiser to choose a nice hotels to stay because from our observation, nicer hotels will make your vacation better. You can just enjoy the vacation by staying in the hotel area most of the time. This particular hotel has a beautiful ground and clean, if you don’t mind of the construction noises (which is not really bothering us) than I think this is a great place to stay. Hotel area and downtown area are like 2 different planet, being in the hotel compound you can feel the luxurious of vacation but when you’re out in downtown is a totally different sight. Walking alone in downtown area during daytime was safe, I did just that a few times with no problem. Some of the people can speak English, if not just use sign language especially when buying something or want to ask for direction. Overall we think that all the things in Cabo are overpriced. To do Cabo again? May be not, we probably prefer Hawaii better.

Nice room but that is all

by TripAdvisor Member TropicalP

The property and suites are very nice. The locationn is good but you need a cab to get to town. This is a new property and needs ALOT of work. The food was marginal at best with some of the highest prices I have ever seen in my 35 years of going to Cabo. Example: 1 shot of XO cognac ( not a special xo like a Louis Xlll) was an incredible $56.00 US. I have never paid more that $18 anywhere in the entire world. Breakfast buttet did not ven have an omlette station or pancakes and had a lousy selection of pastires. We had our New Years eve dinner there; $130 p/p US. Barely passable food and no entertainment whatsoever!!

Order a drink at the pool and you will celebrate your next birthday waiting for that drink, even longer when you ask for the check.

Perhaps Cabo is just growing too fast for them to train staff sufficiently but that is really no excuse. I would deninately NOT return although I will still go to Cabo, just somewhere else.

Stay away

by TripAdvisor Member NOCALIFE

I would advise anyone thinking of staying here to look elsewhere.
The front desk was just plain punishment, they could not have been more rude, unfriendly and unaccomodating.
Had to call in several days just do get our room cleaned and got attitude for bothering them.
Everything was incredibly overpriced and the food was uneventful.
The timeshare people were extremely aggressive and would not let up and would even insult you if you ignored them when you were only trying to go down the steps to walk on the beach. Not exactly what one wants when trying to relax.
The construction noise was just ridiculous and even more amusing when you saw people trying to have a relaxing massage by the pool with saws & jackhammer sounds echoing in the garden setting and poolside.
The pool staff waiters were excellent but everything else a total mess. Management just does not get it. Save your money.

don't waste your money

by TripAdvisor Member bird33

Stayed over christmas holiday..was hit up hard to buy timeshare..we fell for it and now are unable to find a time that any rooms are available for us to use the timeshare that we purchased.. Rooms are available on every website for those dates but not for an owner..We were told lie after lie about our priority booking etc.. I am very upset at this point and am kicking myself..Don't fall for it..there are many nicer properties. don't stay here...Also, my daughters hair turned green in the pool after 30 minutes...NICE!

NICE PLACE TO STAY

by TripAdvisor Member lettergirl40

Overall, it is a great place to stay. The rooms are new, clean and very spacious. We stayed in what would be compatable to a hotel room. Our view to the ocean was fabulous. We bought drinks from the pool bar. Margarita's were $6US. Sometimes they were great sometimes they were liquor and ice. They do have a local market next door next to the spa it is a little price but it has whatever you need and the deli has awesome cafe latte's. My husband and I were not bothered by timeshare people but everyone else that was with us seemed to get hounded on a daily basis. I choose not to make eye contact with anyone in the lobby. It was strange that on our second day neither my husband or my keys worked to our room which forced us into the lobby where other people encountered the same issue. Odd. Overall, I really liked the place and would stay there again

To Cabo or not to Cabo

by gazzie

Hi there

We are a group of 6 in our 30's who are taking our annual vacation in Febuary. We have not booked yet, but have heard that Cabo is great.

We all like to enjoy a few drinks and good meals (but not party like girls gone wild!) and loooove the water. We have recently enjoyed holidays to Hawaii and Cancun - will this compare?

Is the weather okay in Feb? Any hotels close to the action that you suggest? A friend of ours has stayed at Villa Del Arco and said they liked it but would like any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

by travelgourmet

If you loooove the water, then Cabo might just be the best place to be. Ocean side or bayside with every type of water sport available. The wild clubs that are in Cabo that are a must, if just to walk in, have a drink, and walk out or stay and party all night are El Squid Roe, Cabo Wabo, and the Giggling Marlin. A more sedate, upscale location is Barometro or Zoo Bar & Dance. There are so many resorts that to name one to fit your needs would be hard to guess. I personally like Finesterra for the oceanside beach and of course, in my opinion, one of the great hotels in the area. See the website: www.loscabosguide.com for hotels, activities, restaurants, nightlife and shopping.

Comments