Gemma Inn B&B

More about La Paz

Bright BedroomBright Bedroom

Se Habla...La Paz Language SchoolSe Habla...La Paz Language School

La Paz - symbol of peaceLa Paz - symbol of peace

A removable feastA removable feast

Motel Recommendation

by massiek

My wife and I with our 10 year old son are planning a trip to La Paz in March. We love staying on the beach and I've read that La Concha is good. However, I've read a couple of postings that as of late, it may be a bit run down. Does anybody know if this is the case? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

keith

by boasnovas

You mean La Paz , Bolivia? there is no way out to the ocean in Bolivia...

by geschwader

I always stay at the Los Arcos Hotel. For the money it is the best place to stay in La Paz. It's on the Malecon and in town. Ideal for some one without a car.
Since you have a 10 years old, you may want to check out the cabanas.

by lovesnow

I ned to hear this reposnse, a syour concerns are my own. I would like to stay at La Concha as I like abeach to swim off of, but also hear it is run down.! Carol

Re: Re: Motel Recommendation

by horsinround2

I too would love to hear how your trip went. I'm in the middle of daydreaming about a trip to La Paz this summer.
melissa

Travel Tips for La Paz

Packing List

by diver-x

Must have a good water resistant backpack or a backpack/drybag.

See-through plastic drybags make it easier to get at your stuff.

A mesh dive bag is handy to carry your wet stuff or snorkel gear.

A fanny pack or small day pack for hiking trips.
Kayak shoes or dive booties are best for kayaking. Sport sandals are OK, but your feet get sandy & gritty.

A good pair of hiking shoes or high-top sneakers are best for hiking in the desert. There's lots of prickly stuff on the ground, so you don't want your ankles exposed.

Bring a wide-brimmed hat.

I used a long sleeve light-colored biking shirt for paddling, which worked great. It was light enough so I didn't get too hot and it was enough to block the sun from my arms.

Some bike gloves or kayak gloves will help prevent blisters on your hands.

Even when it's hot during the day, you'll need a sweatshirt and a wind-breaker at night. Tweezers & nail clippers! Make sure you put them in your checked baggage because you cannot carry them on the plane.

Ear-drops if you're snorkeling

Immodium - I didn't need it but some people did. You don't want those kinds of problems when you're in a kayak. Better safe than sorry.

Tums or Rolaids or something for heartburn. It's Mexico after all and dehydration makes it worse. I forgot it and regretted it.

Sunblock of SPF 25 or higher. 'Sport' formulas are better in the water.

Some sort of lip balm with sunblock.

Biodegradable soap that lathers in salt water. You can find some at http://www.campmore.com A small drybag or drybox is handy to stow cameras or other gear you want to take with you in the kayak but can't get wet.

Bring Q-tips or lens tissue to clean off your lenses. It gets pretty dusty.

A disposable underwater camera for snorkeling with sea lions. Sadly, I forgot to bring one :>( One of those small wrap-around-your-neck airline pillows works well for camping when you need to pack light.

A water bottle is a must.

La Paz

by susanpingu

After many hours of bus ride(starting from Tijuana) and stopovers in Santa Rosalia and Loreto, La Paz was our just reward. This is a genuine Mexican town quite unlike the resort tourist town of Cancun or the border tourist town of Tijuana.

If you just want to visit La Paz and the surrounding Cabo area and not endure the endless bus rides, flying is better and cost about the same(maybe less) after you factor in overnight stays in the small mid-riff towns. However, being newbies we just had to do it the hard way :D

einstein47's trip to La Paz

by einstein47

"A Trip to La Paz"

La Paz is a great example of an "un-Americanized" Mexican town. You probably won't have to learn to speak Spanish, unless you plan on speaking to the locals (for that, I recommend a Speed Spanish course). Try whatever you want, but I recommend going in summer. Oh, and if you go there... WEAR THE MOST PROTECTIVE SUNBLOCK AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES!!!

Day 3: A Long Paddle! - Day 4: At Camp

by diver-x

"12 miles!"

Our first leg of paddling was the longest: 12 miles. We stopped for breaks in our kayaks a couple of times, with fruit and beverages delivered by panga. Then we finally broke for lunch at a sandy beach, where we refreshed ourselves and were given the choice of paddling for another 30 minutes to camp or riding on the Rio Rita. Most of us chose to paddle.

"Birds"

"Camp number 2"

We spent 3 days here due to high winds and surf. Luckily it was our nicest camp site with plenty of hiking opportunities.

"Day 4: Playing with the Yaks at Camp"

"Beach Combing"

There were plenty of opportunities for beach combing. Lots of shells and interesting rocks.

"Red Rock Cliffs"

"Desert Art"

There is so much to find in the desert. I think the desert is the most beautiful landscape on earth.

Comments