Calle Davis, Loreto, Baja California Sur, Mexico

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

A GREAT FIND!

I had never looked this place up previously on my trips up and down the peninsula, because I didn't think it was the right choice, since I only need one night. But I sought them out and discovered they also have casita rooms!! Good for any length of stay.

NEW MATTRESSES were wonderfully comfortable, good quiet air-conditioning (sorely needed at this time in summer), good size bathroom with tub, plenty of closet space!

Nice coffee and maker provided on lovely verandah around the pool!

The owner Steve was there when I booked in and provided a map with list of good restaurants and shops and was happy to answer any queries ---MOST hospitable!!

Secure parking also.

Contrary to other reviews, I heard NO barking dogs nor crowing roosters, altho in Mexico, one can often have this problem. I was very pleased to find COCOs and will stay here again!

Good photos and directions on the website noted below.

UPDATE Sep 2012: We stayed here again this year on our trip, BOTH when driving north as well as coming back south. Both times were just as enjoyable as last year. So I have now stayed in 3 different rooms; each being comfortable as the others!

Unique Quality: TWO POOLS.

BBQ AREA.

TUB in casita bathrooms (not sure about the cabanas)

More about Coco Cabanas Loreto

A clean, well run bagain, but don't expect resort-syle amenities

by TripAdvisor Member jlg12

I have nothing but praise for Coco Cabanas, yet I don't think its a place that will make everyone happy. The owners and staff are wonderful, the complex is immaculately clean and it offers a more real life Mexican-style experience than the big palaces on the beach. I booked three nights at Coco Cabanas for an impromptu trip to Loreto in November. I picked it because of the positive reviews and, frankly because of the $60 per night price. We had just returned from 10 days in South America, and my wallet was looking particularly thin. We paid for three nights, but spent only one night there because my wife decided she wanted a beachfront room and was willing to pay the additional price.
Don't book the Coco Cabanas if:
* Barking dogs and early-rising roosters will disturb your sleep.
* You don't mind placing your used toilet paper in the waste basket next to the stool instead of flushing it. (The sewer system gets indigestion easily)
* You're used to "Heavenly Beds" instead of basic mattresses.
* You expect a view of the islands and the mountains instead of the dusty alley.
I'm not complaining, just informing. On the positive side:
Book the Cabanas if:
* You appreciate a clean, inexpensive, homey atmosphere.
* You'd rather have a two-block walk to the center of town than a $17 cab ride from the resorts south of the airport.
* You want Ritz-Carlton service for the price the Ritz-Carlton charges you to park and valet your car overnight.
* You treasure interaction with your fellow guests.
The Coco Cabanas definitely fills a niche. I wish there were more Coco Cabanas in resort areas of the world. They do a great job and are a great value.

Loved the place

by TripAdvisor Member Northerner202

We stayed at Coco Cabanas for 3 nights before starting a kayak trip from Loreto to La Paz.

The cabanas are situated around a lovely pool, with a table and chairs to enjoy an evening cocktail. We didn't cook, but the units are completely appointed for cooking with a large fridge, stove, and a shared giant barbique outside. We walked to town for all our meals, about 10 minutes each way.

Would definately recommend this place as an affordable, pleasant and clean alternative to more expensive hotels in the area.

Loved the Cabana's

by TripAdvisor Member barbjoe

We just returned from two weeks at the Coco Cabana's in Loreto. We met friends in San Diego and drove down. We had a wonderful time there. Bill, our greeter and host, was probably the best part of the experience. He directed us as to where to get fresh veggies and fruit (the Saturday market north of town), contacted a local gentelman who brought fresh shrimp (more like lobsters) a couple of times a week, arranged fishing trips and whale excursions. When we left we felt like we had made a wonderful new friend. We really enjoyed our conversations with Steven (one of the owners). He is certainly an interesting and amusing gentleman. He had wonderful stories to tell. He dives for clams and was good enough to share them one evening.

The Cabanas were very comfortable and extremely clean. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. We used the BBQ several times during our stay and it was a nice change from eating out every night.

My favorite thing was getting up early, making coffee and sitting on our front patio to watch the sunrise and hearing the roosters announce the coming day.

We were able to walk everywhere in town. We expecially enjoyed coming back in the evenings and seeing the Mexican families out in front of their homes visiting and playing with the children. We never felt uncomfortable being out any time of the day or night.

The pool area, which is the center of the Cabana's, is beautiful with all the palm trees. The pool itself was always clean and clear.

We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when we come down again. I would highly recommend the Cabana's!!!!!!

Comfortable and friendly

I stayed 3 nights at Coco Cabanas -- the minimum number of nights one can reserve, as i understand it -- on arrival in Loreto and before making my way to another Baja destination. Hosts Kathy and Bill, warm and welcoming, oriented me to my clean, comfortable cabana and to Loreto. they can point you to anything from the best fish dinner in town to the local bakery to the tienda that sells out-of-the-ordinary silver jewelry. Coco's location, an easy walk from downtown, allowed me to get around on foot. on my first night there, i was invited along with other guests to a fish fry where two guests shared their catch of the day. if there's a downside to Coco, it's the neighbor's roosters, but anyone who avoids Hotel Row in favor of a more local experience will integrate the sounds fine -- i'm sensitive to noise, and i managed.

Great place, if only the staff were better.

by TripAdvisor Member xl

We arrived about 8pm in Loreto, and stayed overnight in Motel Salvatierra. After reading all the reviews here, I insisted on moving to CoCo Cabanas the next morning. After a long, dusty and hot walk, the manager (I THINK his name is Bill and his wife is Cathy) said they'd be happy to give us a room, but insisted on us paying the full room price before he would hold a room (for 30 mins) for us. I think he thought we were dirty backpackers who couldn't be trusted or something.

Anyway, my husband had to empty out his wallet. There wasn't enough, but we gave him all we had, and assured him that we would return ASAP with our luggage and the remainder of what we owed him.

The room was nice and very clean and new. The pool area was a great place to socialise, and we met some great people. The beds were very creaky, with basic mattresses: something I didn't expect from a hotel that gave us "french milled soap".

To add insult to the injury, we asked the nest day if they could hold us a room for the night of our return from a kayaking trip. They politely refused, and gave us a very reasonable explanation (too long to include). They also suggested that we call them on our return and would gladly give us room if one was available. He also said that there were currently 2 rooms empty on the day of our return, and one would very likely be available. And if there wasn't room, they would be very happy to helps us find something else. Note that I spoke to another male, NOT Bill (the manager).

On our return, we called them for a room, they said "no we're full" and hung up on me. Something they really didn't need to do. Thankfully, one of our friends had a card for Sukasa Bungalows <--->, and we stayed there instead, and it was a much better place on the Malecon (in front of the sea) with much better staff. We got twice as much room, a very comfortable king size bed, and a large, beautiful living room.

I really liked staying CoCo Cabanas, but I wish I hadn't had these issues to deal with. Read the other reviews here, and if you are clean, driving, staying for a longer period of time and American, they will be very welcoming. If you are backpackers looking for a nice night in a nice room, then go somewhere else.

Quaint & Comfy Cabanas

by TripAdvisor Member Amma Dee

The homey atmosphere of the Coco Cobanas was a nice change over my typical vacation experience at more populated spots. Sitting in a Loreto neighborhood, just a short walk to the beach and downtown, the Cabanas were convenient and relaxing. My room was clean and comfortable with a small kitchen, ample bath & beds. With only 8 units, I met several other fellow travelers during my week's stay, yet was able to read quietly on my private porch surrounded by beautiful landscaping or at poolside uninterrupted. Kathy and Bill, the hosts, could not have been more friendly and accommodating. They directed me to their favorite eateries, tortillaria and local shopping. They introduced me to Pedro, the neighborhood fisherman, who took me on an unforgettable fishing trip on his ponga. I would recommend the Coco Cobanas to anyone who may be looking to spend time in a Mexican village at a quaint spot that serves as a comfy home base to explore Loreto and the surrounding Baja peninsula.

Wow! shat a great little spot!

We checked in and were immediately filled in on most of the popular activities to do in Loreto. We were made aware of others who were interested in a snorkeling trip so we could all go together to save some money. The arragement of the cabanas allows for as much or as little contact with other guests as you would like. Bill and Kathy were always available to answer any questions and steer us in the right directions. The rooms were clean and had everything we needed for our stay. Although we usually stay in larger timeshare condos, these accomodations were quite refreshing and fit the style of Loreto.

Unique, quiet, comfortable oasis

by TripAdvisor Member KathyCrestoneCO

When we arrived at the CoCoCabanas, we were greeted by our friendly, well informed hosts who helped us set up several day trips. Our cabana was comfortable and clean and only steps away from a refreshing swimming pool. The pool area is beautifully landscaped and complete with a barbeque area which we used frequently. We had a relaxing, fun filled week at the Cocos and would highly recommend this lovely oasis to anyone looking for a great place to stay while visiting Loreto, Baja, Mexico.

Best place in town

If you want comfort, affordability and a staff that treats you like family try the Coco Cabanas. Bill, our host, was more than helpful with all our requests, arranging our fishing trip and giving us pointers on where to eat and sights to see. The pool and barbeque were a big hit, especially during the late afternoon and evening when everyone staying at the Coco Cabanas got together and had a pot luck dinner pool side. We would barbeque some of the fish we caught that day, one couple bought some local shrimp others chips and beer, you get the idea. I highly recommend this place and look forward to going back next year. O yea, if your going to fish I highly recommend you use Captain Pedro for your fishing guide Barrett or Bill will hook you up with him if he is not already booked. He puts you on the fish, speaks English and is a great guy.
Have fun and bring your sunblock.

Paul M.

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member Sherman64

I went here with a friend who had previously stayed at the Cocos. I really enjoyed this place. It was in a good location, was very clean, comfortable, and had a great pool. Bill and Kathy were great. Any questions about the area or things to do can be answered by them. They are fantastic! The pool area is a place for everyone to meet at the end of the day, so be prepared for company! I have nothing negative to say about this place. I would love to stay here if I return to Loreto.

Comments