San Carlos Hotels

Our Members Say

• malecon profile photo malecon
  • Reviews: 43

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Alcatraz: It feels like a B&B

The wrought iron fence sports an AH design; the hotels initials. Maria is the hostess and part owner of the family owned business. Her father started the hotel by renting rooms out of the family house. That was 25 years ago when Maria was only three. The hotel grew out of need and the ingenuity of her father who has since passed. The family home remains with the hotel behind it.

San Carlos attracts mostly fishermen, whale watchers, and some divers. Tours are offered by the few hotels in town. I do recommend the Alcatraz but I have to admit that I didn't check out the others. When you are so wonderfully taken care of why look further.

Marie serves her guests with the help of a small staff. She's from San Carlos but doesn't look it. She looks European with tall, and sophisticated features. I kept talking to her in English which was a mistake because she still learning it. I was amazed at the love she has for the place and the excellent care she maintains of the hotel.

The rooms are rough and cater more to the fishermen but Maria has plans to do an overhaul on each room. Ofcourse the price will increase she says with a smile. Her mother helps her run the place. She was in La Paz arranging a deal. They'd like to fly people in from La Paz on tour packages.

When I first arrived Maria was doing some landscaping in the front with another guest. We entered through the gate and into the beautiful garden courtyard. In the center are tall palms with bougainvillea at the base and large ravens in the palm frawns. As we walked under the erupted violently and I looked up in shock if not fear. “You have ravens in your trees”, I said. She looked up, laughed and said, “we have a problem with them”. The humor in that scene still gives me a chuckle.

Being family owned and run the hotel feels more like a Bed & Breakfast. Also, they know their clientele and cater to their needs with great home cooked meals. The place is quiet and peaceful. I stayed up until 1:00 AM reading John Steinbeck's Sea of Cortez in the courtyard.

A man came in about 11:00pm and guarded the closed front gate by setting up a bed adjacent to it. Even he showed genuine kindness as we briefly chatted. Was I charmed at this hotel? I became enchanted and continue to write about it.

• Opinion of Price: about average