Cabo Azul Resort and Spa

Desarrollo Cabo Azul, S.De RL de CV,Paseo Malecon, Lote 11 Fonatur, San Jose Del Cabo, 23400, Mexico

Cabo Azul Resort
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

• KerryK6's Profile Photo

Newly Upgraded Resort,Timeshare

Diamond Resorts has just purchased this property adding a much needed presence in Mexico. I'm sure it was a very nice place before, but the 2nd episode of Undercover Boss that Stephen Cloobeck did was at Cabo Azul and shows the investment that Diamond brings to a resort far exceeds the monetary. A new magnificent entry building just opened 2 weeks ago which will add many units around two beautiful secluded pools, but all of the units have so many well thought out details in their design that this is our new favorite location in Baja. And we own at Pueblo Bonito Sunset-an incredible place in its own right. At night the hundred or so gas torches and fire pits plus lighting make the grounds magical! The Monday night Beach party with live music was a blast. The staff from front desk to Concierge to pool guys were all top notch and very friendly. 18% added to tabs and a daily resort fee of $13+ mean no one is holding their hand out for tips.Twice daily maid service was unbelievable and the full kitchen had everything with top notch appliances including a dish washer rarely found in Mexico. Washers and dryers down the hall mean you can pack light and do a mid week load of underwear! Definitely recommenced!
    A $1 bus ride or $5 cab takes you to the Plaza in Downtown Los Cabos--Thurs nights are Art Walk with the dozens of Galleries open to 9pm offering snacks and beverages and the restaurants are hopping. This is a definite must do as the old mission town here is so much more refined and enjoyable than the young drinking scene in Cabo San Lucas on the other end of the peninsula. See the website below for more photos etc.

Unique Quality: Multiple pools with cushioned chaises-- terry covers changed every night--saw them at 3-4am out there !- and enclosed "cocoons" available make for a great day of sunning. Two huge jetted spas were popular as are the bed-like lounges actually in the pool edges. Covered Palapas on the beach give you a 4th choice for relaxation. Although the ocean is considered Red Flag unswimable, 2 of the 5 days we were there I had no problem at low tide --in and out with careful timing getting past the breakers and found perfectly flat shallow water beyond with a smooth sandy bottom. The other days the surf was a bit more intimidating. A southern view brings great views of Sunrise and Sunsets from the entire place including the huge deck area in front of the elegant Javier's restaurant and bar overlooking the beach. The biggest ceiling fans I've ever seen and a fantastic three panel sliding glass WALL completely opening the two rooms to a spacious patio make the air conditioning unnecessary much of the year. The indirect lighting through the 3 carved wood back drops and wrought iron lights with cloth around the bed with Diamond's trademark pillows and a huge jetted tub next to it make for a romantic environment if you are so inclined.

Directions: Mega store for groceries 15 minute walk- cab back $5. 4 great restaurants across the road just opened from Italian to Tapas including Sushi and a Gene Simmons backed Rock and Brews with nightly specials

More about Cabo Azul Resort and Spa

High-class, all the way!!

by TripAdvisor Member elnorto

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Cabo Azul Resort & Spa for a quick Valentine's Day getaway and it was our most memorable ever!

The staff is quick to learn your names and treat you like royalty.

The drinks are great, made with fresh ingredients, and promptly delivered.

The staff is professional, efficient, and unbelievably friendly! I asked one of the bellhops why Cabo Azul was so different from other resorts we've stayed at in Mexico, the Caribbean, and elsewhere, and we were delighted to discover that they are taking extensive training in proper serving techniques!

The food was incredible, some of the best we've ever had on vacation, and the staff pampered us like no other.

The only downside was that the chapel wasn't finished yet, but we took a tour with one of the managers and it will be the crown jewel of the resort when it's finished.

Next year, we will DEFINITELY go back there, only this time it will be for much longer.

A top hotel in Cabo

by TripAdvisor Member steaksandwich

My girlfriend and I stayed for 10 nights from February 9-19th. The hotel is the nicest in San Jose (San Jose and San Lucas are about 20 minutes from each other.)

Choosing which town to stay in depends on the type of vacation you are interested in. If you are younger and like the nightlife, go to San Lucas. For us, we wanted to relax and San Jose was the perfect place.

The positives:
1. We stayed in a one bedroom ocean view villa, which was brand new with a nice balcony, a large kitchen and big bathroom.

2. On the first day, we went to the local supermarket, the Mega, which was about 5 minutes away by cab and bought groceries for several meals, which saved us lots of money. (Plan on spending about $25 per person per meal if you eat out).

3. The hotel has 3 pools, one of which is heated. There are plenty of padded chairs and service staff willing to bring you food and drinks.

4. The weather is perfect. It was sunny everyday in the 80s and most days we didn't even see a cloud.

5. The hotel has a wonderful fitness center and market if you want to pick up some quick groceries without going to the Mega.

6. Local car services are clean and affordable.

7. There are 3 restaurants at the hotel - all are decent with prices ranging from $10 sandwiches from the Market to $40 per person dinners at Javiers.

The negatives:
1. After clearing customs at the airport, there are about 50 people waiting inside to offer you a taxi. The airport's doors are frosted so you can't see outside. Each of these people inside has paid the airport for the right to be in there and will try to offer you a ride in the hope you will view timeshare properties along the way. I recommend that you call the concierge at the Cabo Azul ahead of time and book the Transcabo Car Service, which waits for you outside the frosted glass and takes you privately to the hotel.

2. At check-in, you are told to head to the concierge for your keys and a briefing about the hotel amenities. This is where they try to sell you a timeshare plan. It's uncomfortable to sit through, but the staff respects it when you tell them that you're not interested. It was the only time in 10 days that the subject came up.

3. The only beach that you can swim in is on Palmilla, which explains why the nicest hotel in Cabo, the One and Only, is on Palmilla Beach.

4. San Jose is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel or a $5 taxi ride. We were a bit disappointed in the town - that it didn't have more to offer; however, the Tropicana and the Chef's Table are both decent albeit a bit expensive.

Ultimate getaway

by TripAdvisor Member tbmhorner

We just returned from a 5 night stay at Cabo Azul Resort. It was an amazing stay. The main check-in area is not completed yet but what they have set up and how they process guests is very efficent and friendly. We stayed in a 3 bedroom penthouse with views of the amazing 3 tiered infinity pools and the beautiful Sea of Cortez. Our penthouse was sophisticated and modern while keeping the feel of Mexico. The workout facility really is "state of the art" with great equipment. One of the days we spent at the spa, Paz. I had a detoxifing wrap, facial, scalp massage and body massage. It was by far the best spa treatment I have ever received. They will gladly personalize your treatment to fit your needs and wants.
Javiers is a wonderful restaurant on the beach, although, a little pricey. There is a Mega store within walking distance - it is very similar to a Walmart. I would suggest getting grocerys there and cooking in your condo to save on some money. As for the staff, they were so friendly, always greeting us by name and helpful in every way. We cannot wait to go back next year.

WOW, I can't say enough!

by TripAdvisor Member jlsboyz

Cabo Azul was amazing! The resort is fairly new (September), so it is not yet complete. When you first arrive there is no grand entrance, so it is a little decieving. But, not to be dissappointed because as soon as we got out of the shuttle they were welcoming us by name (how'd they know?). The service did not just stop there. The pool staff was fantastic, they find you chairs, fix your towels, get you drinks, ANYTHING you need you look up and they are there. The housekeeping staff were as quiet as mice. We never saw them, but our room remained immaculate and our bed was turned down ever night! Now for the room, beautiful, done in hacienda decor. Huge! Great for families or more than one couple, huge balaconies with unbelievable views! I could go on and on! The only downside was the market wasn't very well equipped, try to go to Costco or Sam's Club on your way into town, and there were only 2 restaraunts, which were both pretty pricey. Chips and salsa were to die for, I miss them already! We went to the spa, I had the best treatment of my life, if nothing else just tour the spa, it is very unique in design. San jose is only a quick cab ride from the hotel or 20 min walk. Eat a Don Emilianos while your in town! You wont be dissappointed!! Don't worry about construction, we never heard it!

Way over priced!

by TripAdvisor Member brauns

We stayed at Cabo Azul 6 nights. My family was 2 adult and 2 kids. We came with party of 16. Room were nice, 2 bedrooms. Hardly any water pressure in shower. Walls are thin and you can hear everything. Concierge not helpful. I asked him to call Mexicana to change our flight and he said that it costs the hotel $2 a min to call Mexicana and that I should go back to my room and call so they can charge this to my CC.

This hotel made me feel that if a staff person looks at you they need a tip!!! I went to the cafe by myself to get coffee and there was a service charge of $2 added to my already $4 cup of coffee. Ridiculous!!! We got a few drinks from Javiers which weren't even good and got charged $300.

Beach is not swimmable due to riptides. Pools are nice but I have a pool in my backyard at home. Min Taxi price is $5. To cabo is $35 each way!!!

This is ridiculous for a 3rd world country. A total rip off in my opinion. We asked what the average salary is. They said $5 a day and they live off tips. Ok. So lower the prices and then you'll get tips. The hotel adds service charge to everything.

I have been to many 5 star resorts. This is no better. But surely more expensive. We ordered chicken finger and fries by pool. Bill was $20!!! This is more than Fours Seasons Resorts in USA!

We went to Mega and stocked up our frig. I just don't like to cook on vacation. There was maid service every day but room didn't get clean til 3 or4 pm. They did an ok job. Not great.

No kids club. NOthing for kids to do.
Overal vacation was nice and went to some nice restaurants in town. Mariscos Mazatlan was excellnet foor and great prices. Other said Tropicana was good. We went to Guacamaya for fresh tacos and it was good, not great.

Prepare to pay thru the roof.

beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member TKUCH

I stayed at Cabo Azul from March 19-24/08. The resort was gorgeous in everyway. I am alittle OCD when organizing things so I contacted them on numerous occasions with many questions, and they where always very helpful. I asked for a early check in before arrival and they had the room ready for me. They also gave me a complimentary upgrade to a 2 bedroom ocean view (a pleasant suprise). The room was amazing and big. The beds were very comfortable, I am very picky about this. The only thing I could hear through the ceiling was the water running, which in my opinion you hear in every place you stay in.

The food was very good. We had lattes and breakfast at the plaza every morning, and bought water at the market everyday. I though the prices were reasonable to any restaurant I go to on average. The portions were very big. We were to lazy to go the the Mega store. Javiers did close quite early 10:30 and there restaurant deck was never fully set up to sit outside overlooking the beach. The biggest issue I had was the tip that was already put on your bill regardless on the amount. So the first few days, we were double tipping and didn't know (so be aware).

The staff were very attentive. I actually spent alot of time at the spa. The Paz massage was the best I've had (I had it twice while I was there), but ask for Ester. The pool was amazing. Though it became a running joke about how early you had to get up to get a "Pod". One day we were up to see the sunrise and walk on the beach (6:15 am), and people already were putting there stuff on them to reserve them. Which they are not suppose to do according to managment. I found it quite funny.

I was very disappointed with Cabo San Lucas, very touristy and boring. On the other hand, San Jose was nice. Was not impressed at all with Tropicanna food (but the drinks were good:), but did enjoy La Panga Antigua restaurant. Overall, I had a great trip and would go back.

Absolutely Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member hulkstillrules

I am leary about writing a sparkling review about the Cabo Azul because I don't want to alert fellow travelers about how great this place is. Then I thought about writing a bad review, so it would turn people off. (haha). However, I must be honest. My wife and I stayed here Jan. 17-21, 2008 using our Monarch Grand Vacation membership points as we are owners with MGV. From the minute we checked in until the second we checked out, we were treated like Kings and Queens. We had a 1-BR Ocean View room, which was room 2504. We went horseback riding, snorkeling and I must say that the massages on the beach were the best ever. I don't know if you've seen pictures of this place, but they have poolside beds setup for guests to use and they also have a few beds actually in the pool. There are 3 pools total and 2 hottubs. The food and drink prices at the palapa bar are pretty high, but I guess that's the price you pay to be pampered. We ordered lunch and ate on the beds in the pool. Talk about service. I asked one of the salespeople if it would ever strictly be a timeshare resort and he said no. They will always leave rooms open for people to pay for. Quite expensive to stay there if not an owner, but if interested in ownership, it will be worth it. The same designer is creating another addition to the MGV family in Hawaii. Will be done in 2010. Anyway, if you've never been to Cabo, I must warn you about the airport. Once you get all your documentation out of the way and start heading out the door, watch out for the sharks. No, not the Great Whites in the water, but the timeshare salesmen. Oh my God. I was stopped 4 times in an area of maybe 20 feet. It was unreal. Now if you are interested in their spiel, then you can get to do some really cool things for free, but if not interested, just keep walking until you see the bright of day outside. At that point you are clear of the sharks. We used TransCabo for our transportation from the airport. They charged $44 total for my wife and I, to and from the Resort. The concierge would be able to help you set it up. Overall, this place was paradise. If you stay here, enjoy.

A little bit of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member Anyese

Just got home from Cabo Azul, a trip I booked after reading a few reviews on this site. It's absolutely gorgeous and it's going to be an awesome facility when it's all done. Yes, the kinks need to be ironed out and the completion of the lobby area seems a ways off but the value for the money was exceptional. The ongoing construction wasn't the slightest problem. The staff, from gardener to management, never failed to greet us warmly, often by name, and inquire if we were having a good time. Contrary to the review of another visitor at the same time as us, we had no difficulty getting service on the pool deck. We had to get our own towels but wet towels were often removed by a passing employee. I guess other resorts are more attentive to the details but I didn't mind taking care of myself in the least.
The food in Cabo is generally higher in price than the equivalent in the U.S. or Canada so the prices weren't a surprise. The food in Javier's is terrific. The shrimp tostadas are worth going back for - all the way from Canada! One note of caution, the price of wine was ridiculous in both the on-site store and all restaurants in the area. Buy wine for your suite in the duty free on the way down. Paying 30-50% more for wine than at home, if we could even find something affordable, hurt badly.
The kitchen in our unit was adequate to our needs and we took care of our own breakfast and a few other meals when we felt too lazy to go out. The fresh bread and croissants available onsite were a welcome surprise. The cafe has a bank of computers and internet access was provided free of charge.
Our one bedroom unit was lovely although all that brown, black and white would benefit from small touches of color, in my opinion. I cracked my toe on the corner of the step that leads to the large jacuzzi tub and had to place objects on the step to ensure that I didn't do it again. The bed was very comfortable and the furnishings were nice throughout. The sofa bed wasn't used but it looked like there was a chance it would be comfortable. The unit had 2 TVs and a great stereo system. We had a unit overlooking the pool and beach and enjoyed watching the sun rise in the morning. Cushions on the chairs would have been a nice touch but we moved cushions from the sofa.
I was kicking myself that I didn't call a halt to the timeshare presentation after the promised 90 minutes. It went over the three hour mark. It's an interesting proposition but I don't make these decisions instantly. The salesman (who wasted a considerable amount of my pool time telling me about his kids) actually whined that if we didn't sign on the spot it would kill his remuneration in some way. That's just wrong!
The resort was a bit deserted as it has not been open for very long. I expect that once the Monarch owners discover this lovely resort it will be packed out and next time I'll have to fight for a lounge chair on the pool deck and listen to screaming kids and too-loud music like everywhere else. The hotel part of the resort is under construction and they tell me that eventually only owners will be able to stay in the part that is now complete, non-owners being relegated to the hotel (no views but full access to the facilities).
Having been to Cabo before I was aware that the beach is a no-swimming proposition all down that part of the coast but we enjoyed walking in the waves at all times of the day. I seem to recall more beach vendors in the past (not that I'm complaining!). The beach was lovely and clean. I just wish that a few whales had shown up to entertain us. We had to make do with the pelicans and a few flying fish.
For my money, I couldn't have asked for a better way to beat back the winter blues. My advice? Go while it's still blissfully quiet, serene and reasonably priced. It won't be that way long.

Spa was closed!

by TripAdvisor Member Spa_Client

We booked this resort & spa because it was mentioned in a spa magazine. This was going to be a spa vacation. Upon our arrival, though, we found that the spa was closed!! We booked our stay directly via the hotel site and, there was no mention of this in their website. Also, despite countless phone calls and emails and even a request for a listing of spa services and the price list PRIOR to going over, no one mentioned it to us. This is a beautiful resort but, it has yet to learn the fine art of pleasing its guests. Anyone considering this resort should know this: the boutique is not yet open; there is no formal front desk; the tequila bar is not open; and on and on. Do not go to this resort if you are expecting all of the services they advertise to be ready. The spa is finished (we were told) but closed during our entire stay. Perhaps in a year or two, when everything is complete, this will be up competing with the competition near it. Otherwise, you'd be far better off staying at an established luxury resort near this!

Future is bright!

by TripAdvisor Member Cabomonkey

We stayed from March 20-25, 2008. The registration process is ok. Our room wasn't ready when they said it would be but that happens everywhere! We were very impressed by the property aesthetically. It is beautiful. We stayed in a two bedroom with ocean view and it was amazing. The room decor is as beautiful as the rest of the resort. The kitchen has everything you would need except coffee filters, a bottle opener and paper towels.

The Mega mart is close enough to walk to get the groceries and then cab it back to the resort. The food at the resort is ridiculously expensive so eat at Javier's for a nice meal but cook in your room otherwise. They allow you to bring your own food and drink to the pool so if you can pack a collapsable cooler and you will be set.

We have stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui and Moon Palace in Cancun and the Azul has the best pool. It's a three-tiered infinity pool, and each level has a different temperature.

The employees are great. They work so hard and are literally there from sun up to sun down and they are learning all the intricacies that are expected in a five star resort. Stop by and see Jorge at the front desk and look for Benicio (sp) at the pool. He finds seats, brings towels and is the nicest man you will meet!!

Don't expect the resort to be open past 10 or San Jose Del Cabo for that matter. Everything closes very early. The spa and fitness center are state of the art. We didn't have any treatments at the spa but toured it and it is beautiful. Take a look at the ceiling made of shells. The fitness center is big and has all the cardio and weight equipment you would need. They also offer pilates classes and yoga. The chapel isn't done, the Tequila Bar and the Taco bar are not open yet so don't look for those.

We would rate the facility a 5 when completed and the kinks worked out. Our stay was a 4.5 because we like the beauty and are ok with laying by the pool!!

Last Minute Do's and Don'ts: Do - Eat at the Tropicana in San Jose Don't - Go snorkeling in Santa Maria with the company that advertises a 3.5 hour trip.

Comments