Crowne Plaza Los Cabos

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 49% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Crowne Plaza Los Cabos

Relaxing in Los Cabos

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Los Cabos Crowne Plaza (formerly the Faro Del Cabo) from 8/11 - 8/15/03. I knew in advance from reading other trip advisor reviews, not to expect a large group at the hotel.
This was fine for us. We were just looking to get away and relax, and that is just what we did. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was impressed by the open air lobby. The view was spectacular as you are able to see straight out to the ocean. As we were walking towards our room, we were both impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. Everything was immaculate. We were also very pleased with our room. We found it to be spacious and had a wonderful view of the ocean. Much to my surprise, I found the food to be better than expected. My personal favorite was lunch, as we ate at Los Olas restaurant which is their beachfront restaurant. For some reason, you can eat breakfast and lunch there, but they don't serve dinner. The beach was beautiful, but you cannot go in the water. It is extremely rough. This bothered me at first, but we just set ourselves up in the Infinity Pool (salt water) which is one of the five pools on the property. This pool overlooked the ocean, and it was just so relaxing.For those who choose to do more than relax, the hotel did offer daily activities, bike ride to San Jose, water aerobics/volleyball, beachwalks, etc.I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

Donde Esta Las Personas?

by TripAdvisor Member BeachBums0

We discovered this place on the Internet and it looked quite impressive. I would have to say that overall, we were equally impressed when we saw it in person. Everything from the rooms to the pools to the restaurants were fantastic (not to mention emaculate).

The food was outstanding although to some extent could have used a little more variety. Breakfast was good but pretty standard (omelet station, etc.) For lunch you could eat by (or even in) the pool or at Las Olas restaurant overlooking the sea (very nice!). At Las Olas you pretty much got a four/five course gourmet meal, while by the pool they had standard hamburger-type fare.

Dinners rotated between the Italian, Mexican and International restaurants. These were all very good. My wife liked the Italian the best and I liked the Mexican. The only complaint here would be that they have the same menu choices every time you go to a specific restaurant. We were there a week and ate at the Mexican three times.
They had the exact same menu each time. The same was true at the other two restaurants. But I nitpick. Like Las Olas for lunch, the dinners were really gourmet quality.

The one food area that could use some improvement might be deserts.
Although they were generally fair to good, there was truly a lack of variety. You would often see the same deserts at lunch as you saw the night before. And mas chocolate, por favor. Enough about food.

Drinks were good. The pool bar was nice. Although, no one hardly went there the sport bar was nice too. Probably the highlight of the resort is the Lighthouse bar. You definitely want to go up in the evening for drinks and to view the ocean and the sunset over the mountains.

Also, go see the town of San Jose. It is a quaint, little Mexican town and is quite close to the resort. We also went to Cabo San Lucas for a snorkle cruise, and it was way too much hustle and bustle There were high pressure salesmen everywhere, especially around the marina.
Actually, I'm sure there are those that would enjoy this for a change as the resort is really, really, quiet.

That leads me to my only other real complaint. Where are the people?
There was supposedly only 16 people there at one point in our stay.
Needless to say, there was an activities board, but never any activities. You could use there tennis , raquetball and gym facilities on your own if you want. But if you want organized activities you might want to go elsewhere. The same goes for nightlife. There is no people so therefore no shows, etc. Also, the bars are closed by 11:00. Perhaps that will all change when they take on the Crowne Plaza name?

Okay, I lied. I do have one more small complaint. The beach is nice but unless you have a death wish you probably don't want to swim in the water. It is very turbulent. Therefore, there is not much of a beach scene like you'll find at resorts on the Caribbean side. The waves are very impressive and fun to watch though. And it's kind of a tradeoff.
The landscape is, in my opinion, much more interesting here.

If you want to really party or play hard this is probably not the place for you (at least not yet). But if you are looking for a relaxing time, give it a try. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

We were treated like royalty

by TripAdvisor Member slend

Faro Del Cabo is a top notch resort. We enjoyed our 7 night stay in June. The food was out of this world as was the service. We really enjoyed the friendliness of the staff. We have traveled to Hawaii, Tahiti and the Florida Keys and found this the best service at any resort we stayed. The only complaint we would have at all would be the front desk seemed to be a bit unknowledgeable about certain things we asked about. As for the resort I would give it a big thumbs up. We found the fact that it was practically empty kind of appealing and were treated like royalty. We feel we will never experience that kind of service again and that it was a once in a lifetime experience. Our only dissapointment was the snorkeling and boogie boarding due to the sharp waves. But that was our own fault since we didn't research those aspects enough. Plus we have been spoiled by other beautiful snorkeling spots in the world. Overall, it was a fabulous trip and very enjoyable.
We will go back again someday.

A Travel Agent Compares Resorts

by TripAdvisor Member familytraveler99

As a travel agent, I'm very particular about resorts. While in Cabo in July, 2003 my family and I stayed at three resorts, Royal Solaris, Melia Los Cabos and Faro del Cabo. (We had planned to stay at the Fiesta Inn, but one look our room and lack of ammenities at this 3-star resort, and we left). Faro del Cabo was BY FAR the best all-inclusive family resort that we stayed in. They seemed to have thought of everything to make your stay wonderful. The rooms have refrigerators with cold sodas and waters replaced daily (at NO CHARGE!), there was an iron and ironing board in the room, and a coffee maker. The channels on the TV were a good selection, and plenty in English (unlike some of the other places we had stayed). The rooms were spacious with beauitiful views. The children's program is WONDERFUL! Our 4-year-old son did not want to leave! And open the longest hours of all the resorts we visited that week, 9 to 6, meaning Mom & Dad got lots of time to explore Cabo.
The pool area was beautiful, we loved the salt-water infinity pool. The pool area did not seem to be overly crowded, and unlike some of the other resorts, no one was yelling into a microphone trying to get everyone involved in water aerobics. Therefore the pool area was nice and quite. The food was fabulous. We were very surprised at the quality for an all-inclusive. There was a fish, meat and chicken dish every evening. Unlike Royal Solaris, where we kept asking "where's the beef" with our meals! The service was very friendly, and the staff really seemed to go out of their way to be sure you had a special experience.
Everyone we talked to at the resort raved about their experience.
Because the resort is so new, it is not yet well known. But my sense is, they'll be selling out soon if the positive reviews on TripAdvisor are any indications!

Perfect Getaway for Absolute Relaxation

Our stay at Crowne Plaza(then we knew as Faro del Cabo) last early August was by far the Best vacation we ever had. We have never stayed in an all inclusive resort but now after this experience, which will be difficult to top, we will always tend to opt for these kinds of deals.
The hotel was clean, and very beautiful and inviting. It is quiet which is what we really liked most about it. If you are looking for much activity, like shows and socializing with a lot of people, this might not be the perfect destination for you. The food was excellent, it exceeded our expectations and the presentation was just fabulous. The many many swimming pools which never really got full make you feel like you own the place because you get a quiet retreat all on your own. The staff was so friendly and very efficient. The beach was beautiful although you are not allowed in the water,just watching the waves crash was enough for us. A walk along the beach at sunset, waking up to the sounds of the powerful waves, watching the waves hit the shore from the infinity pool and Las Olas, all these were worth the trade off for not being able to go in the water. The nearby town of San Jose del Cabo is a quaint small town which we preferred over Cabo San Lucas which is the busier town of the two. We loved the hotel so much and enjoyed the food immensely that we really had no reason to leave to visit nearby towns and other resorts, our 8 day stay was just right for us and one day spent in each town was enough exploring for us. If you are looking for a relaxed destination spot to spend with family or your spouse, we highly recommend Crowne Plaza for you, it is a one stop place that you will grow to love more and more each day you are there and we guarantee when it is time to leave you will say to yourself, "this is one vacation I wish would never end". Thank you Crowne Plaza for the best vacation we have ever had so far.

too quiet

stayed at this hotel from aug.28 thru aug.31. It is a beautiful hotel with friendly staff and excellent 5-star presented food (all-inclusive) however the hotel was near deserted, an 8% occupancy during a holiday weekend. Everything was immaculately clean with rooms maintained and beds turned down every night. We were disappointed because the hotel provided no shuttle to los cabos and our only option was a local bus for 2.00 or taxi at 30.00 each way. There was approximately 20 people staying there so were saw the same couples everyday. How weird is it to also be served by the same waiters everyday. It almost felt like being on a cruise ship. It became boring very quickly and I wished they had offered activities for us to do. Only after talking to people who were staying at the Solaris next door did we realize that a atv rental was across the street from them and their hotel provided a shuttle service to los cabos. Too late for us. With a new owner, crowne plaza, I don't know if the service will change. It's a beautiful hotel but go there if you really want peace and quiet.

Too Quiet, Not what I expected

Stayed here from August 18-25th. We were dissapointed. It was extreemly quiet, most of the time more staff than guests. There were no activities and no participants. There were no night clubs or shows as was advertised. The beds are awful. The water luke warm. The food was very good. The light house is beautiful but is a staff hang out place.
The service was questionable, but the housekeeping was very good. they have the makings for a really beautiful resort, but they do not seem to have their act together yet. Everyone that checked in had trouble with their rooms and had to be moved. When the hurricane came through the placed pratically fell apart, all the rooms leaked, the walls fell in, it was amazing. If you are looking for something very very quiet, quiet like the Shining you will probably enjoy this resort. There are no scheduled activities, bus trips or shuttles into cabo or san jose and nothing around the resort. The taxi into cabo will cost you 30 each way

Relaxing

I just got back from 4 nights/5 days at the Crowne Plaza and loved it!
I have never stayed at an all inclusive resort and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food and the service. The food was excellent we both loved the Mexican restaurant and being able to order room service at any time of the day or night was just icing on the cake. The only night we had any type of buffet food was our last night which was a Mexican Independence day celebration and they had the best buffet I have ever had! I have been to San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas before so I knew that San Jose del Cabo is a little more quiet then Cabo. If you are looking for night life and dancing this is not the place to go. We live in a big city with lots of people around so it was really nice to go to any pool and only have a few people nearby. I will recommend this place to people who want to get away from it all and really relax and not want to go somewhere looking to be entertained by the staff. We also went on a tour of the hotel next door (Royal Solaris) and we were very glad of our choice to stay at the Crowne Plaza. The staff at the Solaris has an entertainment staff which means music is blaring and people are yelling into bull horns trying to get people involved. We were very glad there was none of that at our hotel!
We went there on the adventure package which included pick up and drop off from the airport to the hotel and we took a three hour ATV tour where you get to ride on the sand dunes on the beach. The only bad thing I can say about the hotel was they were late picking us up at the airport but they were very apologetic and the driver even stopped and bought a beers for our ride to the hotel. We are already planning our next trip there and will bring friends and family there as well.

You will be miserable, I left after one night!

We were scheduled to vacation at Crowne Plaza from 9/23 - 9/26 (4 days, 3 nights) for our 3 year wedding anniversary; however we left the very next day on the 24th. After reading all of the wonderful reviews on trip advisor, we were really looking forward to a grand class all inclusive resort but can truly understand why the hotel has never more than a dozen guests. The elevators were not working so we had to climb up and down the stairs from the 5th floor to get to and from our room. The beds were short (feet hung off) and extremely hard. The air conditioner was not working nor the ceiling fan and the lights had some sort of short that made them blink on and off. We never had hot water, only lukewarm whether you were washing your hands or taking a shower. The in-room safe was not working nor was the cable (no stations at all). I was told they ran out of bottled water and had to make a scene in order to get the manager to find some. The hotel ran out of pastries, mushrooms, red wine, and anything else that was too inconvenient for them to go find. What else can I say but that this was the most horrible all-inclusive resort we've ever vacationed at! Please think it over carefully before you make your reservation.

Entrance to Cacti MundoEntrance to Cacti Mundo

Kahlua was my favoriteKahlua was my favorite

Comments