Paseo Malecon s/n L 5d Fonatu, San Jose Del Cabo, Los Cabos, 23400, Mexico
Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Los Cabos

Great Hotel, lots of kinks to work out

by TripAdvisor Member hammyCalgary

Overall we loved the Barcelo Los Cabos but they still have alot to work out with the operation of the hotel. When we arrived at 4pm our room was not ready yet, we were not offered a hospitality room to change just to come back in an hour. When we came back the person on the desk, David just handed us our keys, no map, no welcome, or overview of what was happening at the hotel. We had to track down the bellman ourselves and get our luggage up to the room. We were not impressed with our inital welcome to the hotel.

Our room was beautiful, we were on the 6th floor of the main building which has 7 floors in total. There was something wrong with the elevators - we had to press 5 to get to the 6th floor, sometimes it would stop randomly at different floors. The bathroom, bedding package, big screen TV with internet, minibar were all fantastic. Overall I would say the physical part of the hotel exceeded our expectations. However, we were not told that the 7th floor above us was not completed and that was the area they were working on. Every morning at 8:30am without fail there was the sound of hammering, sawing, furniture or something being moved accross the floor. We could not sleep in. It was OK as were were travelling with a 4 and 5 year old and probably wouldn't have been able to sleep anyways but it really took away from a relaxing vacation. We only had the evening turn down service twice in seven days - totally random too, one day they'd do it then a couple they wouldn't and then again they would.

The food was amazing at the buffet restaurant, we loved it, great selection that we didn't get tired of. I agree with other posters that the seafood was fantastic. We also loved the Italian restaurant but weren't too impressed with the Japanese and Steakhouse. The service was very hit and miss, it seemed the wait staff were all running around trying to get the standards right ie, where to put the forks, knives napkins etc. but they didn't have time to talk to anyone. We did meet a fantastic server, her name is Ester, works poolside as well as the Japanese restaurant. Overall it feels like this hotel lacks, or hasn't yet found it's personality. We also found this with the activities staff, there was not much going on poolside, this could be that the pools were so cold in the mornings no one was in them. My kids found the pools to be too cold to swim in. The adult pool was great, there were no kids there when we were there. That was one place that had really good service.

Our girls really liked the kids club although the water in the spray park was sooo cold you could not go in it. Estrella that entertains the kids was great and the facility was great but there weren't alot of activities for the kids. Our kids spent the majority of their time with us which is a switch as in the past we usually can't drag them away from the kids club.

We rented a car one day and went into Cabo San Lucas and Chileano beach, if I went back to Cabo I would definitely stay closer to town were there is way more to do. We LOVED the marina and the beaches.

On the Saturday night we were there the hotel put on a dinner beach party for 500 people, it was great, entertainment, good food and fireworks, it was definitely a highlight of the trip. Another highlight was watching the whales go by from our balcony. We could see them come up for air, splash their tales above the water and we even saw one jump. Very cool!

Check out was another huge wait, they only had 3 desk staff on at noon with people wanting to check in and out. We stood in line forever. We also experience the huge line up for booking the a la carte restaurants. If we had to do this again we would have eaten more in the buffet restaurant, which is a total switch to any other all inclusive we have gone to.

Overall we got what we paid for with this hotel, we got a really cheap grand opening price and experienced lots of construction and people learning their jobs. My complaint is that no where on the Barcelo Los Cabos website, Air Transat Holidays or Itravel2000 website does it say anything about construcion or what is open at the resort and what is not. I was told when I booked that everything was done as of December 15th and believed it as there was nothing on any website indicating otherwise. Buyer beware I guess. Overall we had a great vacation, great to get away for a week with my kids and hubby and do nothing.

A bit disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member colbyhammer

Not a lot to do....the resort is very nice, right on the beach, good service except in the rooms, things still not completely done, it is like the resort is still in the growing stages and is not quite there yet....definitely needs some entertainment, there really is not much to do other than go to the pool or lie on the beach. Also no water sports, very weird.

Absolutely loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member bhowie

Upon entering the resort you are taken aback on how beautiful it looks. Check in was fast and we received a cocktail as well. We received a map of the grounds and our wristbands. The bellman showed us to our room and showed how to use the remote on the TV for controlling all kinds of things in the room. There is a wireless keyboard and mouse for free internet on the TV. There are also computers with internet access in the gift shop and Club Premium Lounge with printers.

The big rooms have nice furnishings and are nicely decorated. I liked the coffee maker in the room and it made good coffee. The free mini bar got restocked daily. There is bottled water, beer, pop, nuts, chips and juice boxes. There were his and hers slippers and two bath robes. The bath towels are huge. You also get big bottles of shampoo, conditioner and mineral bath. The in room safe is free to use.

The food is great. I must of gained a few pounds from the desserts. There is food by the pools and many bars to get a drink from.

The pools are kind of cool but refreshing after being in the hot sun. The zen music playing almost put me to sleep its so relaxing. Lots of loungers available probably cause the resort was not very busy. The cushion loungers were in the adult pool area. There is a huge beach area than belongs to the resort that vendors cannot cross. The ocean is not for swimming as the red flag is up most of the time.

Black Magic kept everyone entertained. He is the activities guy and always had beach volleyball or pool volleyball games going on.

We took a cab downtown San Jose for 50 pesos. Its not very far away and probably could of walked it. We came back from the shows at night to find little chocolates on our bed. If you are into clubbing its best to find some like minded people in the Sports Bar to split the $35 cab ride to Cabo. There is also a car rental place in the lobby but if you drive be prepared for wild drivers on the highway corridor to Cabo.

It was a nice relaxing vacation and nice to get away from winter. The place is new and has some finishing work to be done. I liked the place and the service wasn't bad either.

Nice place if you can tolerate a lot of noise

by TripAdvisor Member sulfonic

The service is generally good. As anywhere, there are waiters who you don't see at your table for 15-20 minutes, forcing you to get your own coffee, and those who are everywhere, doing everything and getting rewarded accordingly. The food was five star. The a la carte restaurants were excellent, with top notch service. The Japanese restaurant was in partial operation only, ie. the tables were not in operation, only the grills where you have to sit with a mob of other people. Their red house wine is a Mexican Cab. Sauv.. They would do well in replacing it with a Chilean wine or anything better. It was drinkable, but not five star quality. They were quite eager to up-sell us with a $30 bottle of something better. Serving mediocre wine to prompt you to pay for something better seems tacky. Staff is very friendly, everywhere, and will greet you as you pass by.

The rooms are very nice, new junior suites. The hotel is across the street from a Mega store and two banks. There are lots of bars and snack bars on site. The Spanish restaurant was not open yet when we were there. The Steak House opened near the end of our stay and is excellent.

This hotel is still under construction and many of the upper floors have a lot of work to be done. The kids pool was not open and is still under construction. There was a lot of construction noise from nine AM till dark, at least: hammer drills, concrete saws, hammering, etc. Next winter would be a better time to try this hotel; they'll be at this for a while yet. The first week was not too bad but during the second week there seemed to be a spring break reunion going on. The 'adults only' pool should be a haven of quiet relaxation. During our second week, besides adult 'kids' playing their ipods loud around the pool, the city was doing work on the drainage canal (read: open storm sewer) that runs down the west side of the property, past the 'adults only' pool. There were two jackhammers going all day, every week day and Saturday morning. Add to that the hotel staff hammering on the cement wall next to the drainage canal with a pick ax every day in preparation for refinishing. In spite of this, it seemed that everyone at the hotel wanted to be at the 'adults only' pool. There were parents with their screaming babies in the pool, screaming toddlers, and older kids. This is the only pool with comfortable, padded lounges. The lounge-saving started before eight AM.

Granted, the construction work should be finished on the storm sewer by now, but the hotel construction will go on for some time. Add to that the jets. This hotel is on the Cabo Airport flight path. EVERY airplane that comes into Cabo and that goes out of Cabo, goes directly over Barcelo. They come in low and slow, every five to ten minutes all day, well into the evening, averaging 30 seconds each to roar over. The outgoing planes are at a higher altitude but at full throttle they make just as disrupting a noise as the incoming planes.

The hotel has speakers placed everywhere, about 15 feet apart. They have only one CD that they play, ad nauseam, too loud, all day and half the night. My wife, who is quite hard of hearing, resorted to wearing ear plugs one day when we were at the main pool, driven out of the 'adults only' pool by the crush of humanity there. The sound system is new, more speakers going in daily and there was some experimenting in volume going on but they never seemed to get it down to a tolerable level.

Other than the dozen or so padded lounges at the so-called 'adults only' pool, the lounges in the rest of the resort are uncomfortable, tolerable for tanning but they cut into your buns in any position where the back is raised.

If you have a high tolerance for noise there is a lot to like about Barcelo. However, I had to wear earplugs much of the day and night to endure. I was ready to come home after one week and I was glad to get back to the relative quiet of my workplace.

Wonderful hotel - Construction needs to end

by TripAdvisor Member nivaldad

Barcelo will be a wonderful hotel once it's done. To the naked eye is seems like it is, the grounds look completed, however eveyday you see them doing something now, contruction above our rooms for 5 out of 7 days, got fed up on our last full day there, after we were woken up from a mid day nap, since it was overcast, by a hammer rihgt about our room for an hour, i complained and the manager was very good at making it up to us. They are very eager to please.

I would not consider this a five star but definetely a 4.5. Beautiful hotel, with gorgeous grounds and wonderful rooms. They did a fantastic job decorating the place. The food is wonderful, best i've had at an all inclusive, have never had so much seafood on a vacation, missed the lobster night, very dissapointed. Drinks are great and they have a wonderful variety. Staff is very friendly and helpful, they are severely understaffed and everyone is working double shifts and they can barely keep up. The steakhouse which is the lunch buffet, opened while we were there, phenomenal food. Marco working the grills, is so good and by the end of the week, knew just how we wanted things.

Beach is beautiful, dangerous waters, someone was rushed to the hospital on our first day there, after they dove into a wave, really strong undertow, do not let your kids into the water, but the pools make up for this, wonderful pools, really cold but on our last day, they warmed up, i think they got the heaters working.

Nightly entertainment is great, tey need more daily activities, asides from aqua aerobics and volleyball there is none, i realize this is more typical of higher class hotels, things aren't normally as crazy, but they need something. I don't think they have enough entertainment staff yet.

Strongly recommend this hotel, in a few months once contrustion is fully completed and they are well staffed. Mgmt said 15 days till construction is done, i doubt that, i would give it another 3 months, and they are still hiring,, 50 people per day apparently, but they need to teach them english first. Have fun and remember a vacation can be as good or as bad as you want it to be, make the best of it.

A perfect hotel on a not so perfect beach

by TripAdvisor Member marilyn2662

A friend and I visited Jan 16 - 23, 2010.

During our stay the last of the a la carte restaurants opened. We visited the Italian, Japanese, French and Steak House. All restaurants were excellent. My only complaint would be the line up you have to wait in to book these restaurants. We waited an hour the first morning we were there to book, and that's the last thing you want to do on your first vacation day! Because the Steak House was not yet open the concierge suggested we come back at the end of our stay to see if it was ready yet. So AGAIN we waited an hour in line just to be told by a different concierge that all the a la cartes were already booked up for the rest of our stay. Because they are still working up to full capacity the restaurants are often half empty. We requested to be squeezed in and were told no. She was a little rude, and unfortunately that was the only downfall of our experience. We saw a manager who immediately made the arrangements for us. Every other staff member was extremely friendly and helpful. The buffets too were great, even served lobster one night.

After dinner there are some fire pits surrounded by really comfy chairs, a great place to have a drink and socialize.

There are plenty of loungers around the pools, some which sit in the water. During our stay we would spend the morning at a main pool, then move to the adult pool in the afternoon. At the adult pool the chairs are padded and they have some beds. The beds usually are reserved with towels by 9am. Unfortunately there was some construction going on while we were there, but only a few of the days. I read another review complaining about planes, I didn't hear a single one. No issues with kids at the adult pool either. Some of the older people were complaining about the pools being too cold. I found them to be perfect. The last thing I want after sitting in the sun is to be swimming in soup.

The entertainment was a little cheesy, but that's common at many places. If you're looking for a party place, this isn't it. It is a perfect place if you want to just come, relax and stay low-key.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone, I just think where it's situated is unfortunate. You can't swim in the water due to the undertow, and the sand was too rough to walk on comfortably. For $17 you can book a trip to Lover's Beach, which is a bus from the hotel and then a tour on a glass bottom boat. If you want only a day or two on the beach it's well worth it. If you book now you'll get a great deal, because once the kinks are out I think the price of visiting here will sky rocket.

Not quite yet a 5 star resort, lots of work needed.

by TripAdvisor Member RickyD1978

Having been to a 5-star resort I was quite disapointed with the service in all the restaurants. I realized that when I booked this vacation at this resort that its a work in progress given that Barcelo reopened on December 1 2009. I have 3 areas for improvement that will make this resort truly spectacular.

1) Service is definetly not 5 star quality. We had to constantly wait on the waiters/busboys to clean our dishes and fill our glasses of water. Service was only slightly better in the restaurants since the amount of people are limited.

2) The food in the buffett was always cold. The heat lamps don't work and the selection was always the same, there's not enough variety from breakfast to breakfast, from lunch to lunch and from dinner to dinner.

3) The conciere never gave me a choice of where I would like to sit for the Japanese restaurants. Apparently you have a choice of 3 areas: the grill, sit down or tatami matts.

When I first arrived the bellboy lied to us about construction ongoing. Our initial room was in 3202 and we were right next to the contruction zone. I travelled with my wife and we were given 2 doubles. We had to complain to the manager and they finally upgraded us the 2nd day to a beautiful ocean view room (3619) with a king size bed.

We booked a day trip through the air canada rep to visit Cabos. That was a nice break and very informative. We went to visit a glass blowing factory and then did some shopping in both San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. The guide Juan was very informative.

The pool was finally heated on the last day we were there, too bad since we couldnt enjoy the ocean or the pool.

The entertainment was the worst lack of variety that I ever experienced. The same group went up night after night sining the same songs. The resort needs to work on that. There's a reason why only a handfull of people showed up every night.

Lastly the bar staff were so inconsitent in making mojito's. Sometime I received it without limes, sometimes without mint. The only way I ensured that the mojito's were good is when I told the staff what to do. I shouldn't have to do it, I don't know if there's lazy or because I didn't tip enough.

I wouldnt recommend this resort for young couples who want to have fun.

Great Time in Cabo

by TripAdvisor Member havefuninthesun33

Considering this hotel is not operating at 100% capacity, we found the service quite good compared to other Mexican resorts we've stayed at. We did not get the king room we requested when we booked but we were able to arrange a late check out and had a room with a great ocean view.

The food at the buffet and restaurants was excellent. The Steak House opened while we were there and is also the location for sit down lunches during the day. We also ate at the Japanese, Spanish and Italian restaurants. I didn't find that the reservations were really necessary as the resort was only about 1/2 full, but the hotel requires it. Booking at 9:00 a.m. is totally not worth the wait in line. We made all our reservations mid-afternoon one day and got all them without hardly a wait.

The pools were too cold to swim in and the ocean is not swimmable so if you like water activities you will be really disappointed. We booked a snorkelling tour and whale watching tour through the Barcelo Tour Desk in the lobby which were both excellent and well worth it.

All in all, we had an excellent time in Los Cabos !

90% Excellent

by TripAdvisor Member molly2kit

Stayed here from Jan 18 -25 - Bad things first - no hot water in room for 3 days and pools were never warm enough to swim any of the days we were there - hot tubs lukewarm at best. Some construction still going on, beach not swimmable and hard to walk, not a lot to do during the day on resort - There, that's the bad. Other than that, this was a fabulous vacation! All the staff go above and beyond to make your stay memorable. The rooms are very nice - we had an ocean view - The buffet food is exceptional - I never found mine cold or lukewarm - go to the beach restaurant for lunch everyday - seafood cooked to order and lots of other items also. Ate at 4 of the 5 ala cartes - The Spanish and Italian were not that good in my opinion - Japanese tepanyaki table and the Steak House at the beach were exceptional - the buffet was very good at dinner - once again excellent seafood and beef - I would not have minded if we had had to eat there every night as there was such variety and the food was tasty and well prepared. There is a show every night and I agree they are a little cheesy but fun and the performers really did knock themselves out - the dancers were very good. On Saturday night they had a Mexican night at the beach - staff spent a whole day setting up tables and chairs in the sand and the chefs barbecued on the beach and lots of other goodies at the buffet they set up down there also. The entertainment at the beach show was fabulous - stilt walkers and fire show and the dancers from the entertainment dept and ended with a conga line on the beach - It was really a spectacular even and they went to so much work to set it up and then next morning it was cleaned up by daybreak. Take the public bus to Los Cabos for 25 pesos each way or to San Jose Del Cabo for 7 pesos. Please take lots of US $1s for tipping - the staff really work hard for you. PS - the Martini bar outside the Japanese Restaurant opens at 6pm - the best Martinis at the hotel.

Beautiful hotel, but not quite 5star service yet

by TripAdvisor Member ShadyCalgary

My husband and I travelled with our 18month old son Jan 18-25th 2010, so I'm hoping my review will help those of you who plan to stay here with a young family. The resort is absolutely breath taking, the design team definitely did a fantastic job in creating a resort that is contemporary, luxurious, and relaxing. The lobby, lounge bars and lounge areas, suites, pool areas, and all of the restaurants and buffets were all quite impressive and gorgeous. It is one of the best looking all-inclusive resorts we have ever run into. However, having such wonderful interiors, creates an expectation that the service is also up to par, and unfortunately, they still have a ways to go. Construction is still going on, almost everywhere on the resort, and yes, they do try to keep it out of sight, but you can definitely hear it. I'd say they are still at least 3months away from completion of all construction.
We had requested a quiet room, since we would be in there quite a bit for our son naps, and early bedtime. The first couple nights we spent sleepless in between a group of young all-night party drinkers, which had rooms on either side of us. We were also located above the lobby bar, which you can clearly hear. The walls are very thin, we heard everything, the television, talking, and even people using the toilet. After numerous calls & trips to the front desk, we had our room changed to one on the 6th floor, in which we endured construction noises and moving of furniture in the room above us, at all hours of the day. Naps and bedtime was not a peaceful event for our son during our stay. As well, if you do not, or are not able to answer the door after the water or cleaning persons knock, they just barge in....I found this extremely disruptive and rude, mostly because I had just laid baby down to have them startle him up screaming. This happened twice.
One of the great things at this resort though, is the Barcy Kids Club House they offer by the Kids Pool, which was heated & warm), complete with toys, indoor tables & crafts. The facility wasn't quite done, but it was still open.
The buffets were excellent, and the staff is mostly helpful. They are short staffed and the staff they do have are very new and in training. It's still a very nice experience overall. The restaurants are beautiful, and all 5 were open when we were there. The service was really slow though, again, new staff and just kinks that comes with all of that.
Overall, though, despite the noisy rooms, the resort is just so gorgeous, and we got such a good deal because it was so new (and incomplete), I would recommend this hotel for sure.

ParrottParrott

DoradoDorado

water temps

by pedalpusher

I am going to San Jose del Cabo the last week of March (I know, a long time from now). What can I expect for air temps and water temps at that time? Where would be the warmest water (and nice things to look at) for snorkeling? We are staying at the Grand Baja Resort. Anyone know anything about that place? Any other tips on things to do and see?

Thanks!