InterContinental Presidente Los Cabos Resort

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 47% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• jmhultin's Profile Photo

All-inclusives not for us

This was our second time at an all-inclusive resort (first time was in Turkey), and we confirmed that they are not our style.

That being said, this a very nice facility - spacious grounds with beautiful gardens. 3 pools - one high-activity, one medium, and the third is calm and quiet.

Food was so-so. We booked with the idea that we could get our value out of breakfasts and margaritas, and we did a pretty good job with that. We had one dinner at the resort (had to get up at 7 am to make a reservation - the sit-down restaurants are booked by mid-morning), and it was just ok.

San Jose has some wonderful restaurants that are fun to explore. In our opinion, it's a shame to waste all your meals in the hotel.

Helpful hint - you need to stake out your chaise at the pool or beach (with a towell or other items) by about 8 am.

Unique Quality: The gound floor lanai rooms are the best

Directions: Last hotel on the beach, next to the estuary

• Over xmas

Just back yesterday from Presidente where we spent xmas until 12/30/08..We (65-70) and our kids (26-27) all throughly enjoyed all aspects of the resort. All especially liked the town, just a walk away..(prefered to San Lucas...MUCH less 'touristy")
    Good food, good service, especially good room service. Wx was a bit coolish, 65- 70 degrees so skipped most water activities. Book horse rides direct with guy down the beach...about 1/3 the expense.
    We liked the all inclusive aspect. Tipped lightly but never felt it was expected. A 20 peso tip got terrific service, but then NO tip got about the same.
    About the only thing that could come close to a gripe was the bed firmness. Two of party found them too hard.
    Over all, a delightful stay.
    Dick and Pat Price, Little Rock, Arkansas, US
    dickprice@bigfoot.com

Unique Quality: Price reflected in xmas rates.

Directions: Just about as FAR east on the beach from Cabo San Lucas as possible...other end of the beach...a $35 cab ride/about 20 miles.
    Don't overlook the town..about 1 1 1/2 miles..nice walk from hotel

• friendlydeer's Profile Photo

Sun and Relaxation in Los Cabos

This was my first stay at an All-Inclusive hotel and my husband and I were pleasantly surprised. Ocean views, great pools, great food, great drinks, great staff. Five (5) days felt like ten (10) we were so at home and so relaxed.

Directions: Resort Area

More about InterContinental Presidente Los Cabos Resort

What a nice surprise . . .

We too never considered ourselves the all-inclusive type, but with an eleven month old in tow, the sheer convenience of prepared meals outweighed our desire to explore and find great restaurants. After the mandatory first night at the buffet Frutas y Flores, we settled in for a week of overcooked Mexican style asian food. But the following meals were so much more than we expected! Breakfasts were great, Lunches even better at the Caribeno and dinners were the biggest surprise--beautifully presented food that really was good--I was anticipating cheesy theme buffets not the game hens and foie gras at Napa or the amazing Mexican dishes at El Patio--and desserts--when our son's temperament would permit--were brilliant. The staff was fantastic and so great with kids--always willing to bring out any special requests for meals for a little one. The rooms are OK, and the bathrooms really are tiny, but everything is clean and comfortable and 24hr room service is very handy. There is also a separate pool area for adults only, so we never felt uncomfortable if our son got a bit exuberant splashing in the water. I would absolutely recommend the Presidente Intercontinental Los Cabos.

Disappointing resort

This was my fifth stay at an all inclusive in Mexico and my third visit to the Presidente. I must say that this USED to be a great resort. What happened when we got there in June of this year was a huge let down from the resort's past performance. It is a beutiful resort, and the majority of the staff is friendly and trying to do a good job. What has really fallen down is the policies at the management level. All of the pools close at 7:00 p.m.. The pool bar closes at 6:00, with the only remaining bar in the lobby closing at 11:00.

During my past visits, the hotel always had big buffets laid out for all meals. Now, the only buffet style meal is breakfast, and you must make reservations for dinner. Reservations must be made by 5:00 for dinner. So if you go anywhere during the day, you are out of luck getting reservations. You pretty much have to go somewhere outside of the hotel to do anything, because there are NO activities at the hotel.
This would not be a problem if the hotel were located in Cabo San Lucas, but the Presidente is about 25 miles from Cabo.

Now then, the food quality.......mediocre at best. With the increased restrictions on dinner seating, I would have expected a corisponding increase in food quality. What has happened is that you get marginal quality food with excellent presentation. It was similar to the picture hanging in my room, pretty.......but I don't want to eat it.

We had a good time in Los Cabo despite this resort. I will return to Cabo, but NOT to the Presidente!! This should be a three star resort at best........NOT a five.

The good, the bad, the El Presidente

Mi esposa and I stayed at El Presidente with another couple for 5 nights over the 4th of July weekend. Each couple stayed in a lanai room on the ground floor with an outside patio. Fork out the extra 25 pesos for this room or else you'll be jealous of those people that did. Steve broke the hammock on his lanai cause he was eating mucha comida and drank too many pina coladas. The attentive staff replaced his hammock right away and then Miguel and I proceeded to mock El Gordo for the rest of the trip. The staff was very cool but the maitre d' was like Mussolini controlling the train schedules. For some unknown reason you needed to make reservations for dinner hours ahead of time despite the fact that half of the tables were always open. Just walk up and pretend you made a reservation. Ask your wife to start crying cause the trip is ruined and the maitre d' will cave in and seat you in the best spot.
The service is slow when you're starving and quick when you're barracho. Some of the food was muy bien, some OK, and some muy mala.
Just order everything on the menu and sample everything before you gorge your face. And keep in mind that the free food is more of a convenience than anything else. You really don't want to spend your entire trip at the hotel anyways, do you?. Trust me, your wife will apreciate you taking her out to dinner if you actually have to spend money at the end of the meal. Our bathroom smelled a bit funky every time Steve flushed his toilet but hey, we've been to Mexico a ton and we know where to set our expectations. You're paying under $200/night for an ocean view room with all the food and drinks you can consume.
Don't expect to be bumping into Ben and Jen at this place but enjoy the fact that you are in incredibly beautiful location with pumping surf (in the summer), awesome fishing, great people, and all the cheap alcohol you can drink. And by the way, rent a car so you can cruise to Cabo at will but make sure it's in your friend's name so when the Suburban spins out of control after doing doughnuts for a minute you can walk away scot free...

Great Place

Where do I start? My wife and I went their for our anniversary, and had the best time weve ever had. We met soo many cool people that made the stay even better. The staff was great , and the food was good, and the DRINKS oh the DRINKS! We spent most of our time at the pool bar getting good and primed and just enjoying the place. The Hotel itself is nice and the rooms were good too. I don't think I could think of 1 bad thing to say, but I do warn singles. This place was 90% couples and families, if your looking for a hang out, Cabo is the place to go. Next year we are going back and bringing our kids this time, it really is a sheltered oasis and very safe. See you their next year

We really enjoyed our stay!

This was the second hotel we stayed in on our honeymoon, the first being Solmar Suites. I enjoyed this hotel much more. Since we had already seen and done everything Cabo had to offer, we really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the Presidente and didn't mind its distance from Cabo. (On that note, I would not recommend the hotel for singles!) The room was lovely and comfortable. The pools were amazing and the Miami Vice was my favorite treat. The staff was friendly, and everyone we encountered spoke English. The food was good, and they weren't too strict about the reservations. We were even able to go restaurant hopping one night without reservations at any of them. El Patio was the best; my only criticism was that it took them forever to bring you drinks. Room service for breakfast was great, and my husband thoroughly enjoyed the snack bar. Overall, we had a great stay and would recommend the hotel for anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing time.

On a separate note, DO NOT go simply for its proximity to the estuary.
It was full of garbage and horse droppings, and the foliage looked like it had been hacked at with an ax. We stayed for a total of six minutes before we were too grossed out and had to leave. We did see two ducks, though. The estuary was a major letdown.

loved it/hated it

We stayed at the Presidente last September, and found the rooms, facilities, and beaches to be excellent. As other posters have mentioned, request the ground level rooms with the patio, we got upgraded for free by asking nicely. There's nothing better than relaxing in a shaded hammock in the blazing afternoon sun.Now, the reason I will not go back there was because of the service. When I go to an all-inclusive resort, I expect no limitations on food or beverages. The reservation-only policy at the Napa and El Patio restaurants is ridiculous, especially since they were never full (the food was great though). The pool bartenders had no idea how to make any kind of mixed drinks. They would blend the fruity stuff first, then float the warm liquor on top. Within 2 minutes, it was melted. Also, the beer on tap was NEVER cold. They had problems throughout the entire facility with this while we were there, and when the pool bar's tap stopped working altogether, they filled up a metal bucket with beer from somewhere inside, and dipped plastic cups into it for us to drink out of. I was livid. They also were extremely reluctant to serve red wine. We were never given full bottles, only half bottles of previously opened wine, and I even saw bartenders pouring from one bottle into another bottle to give to another guest. But we didn't let the service get to us, and still had a great time. I'd recommend it only if you got a cheap deal, but when I go to Cabo again, I'm not staying there.

JohnH1's New Travelogue on Mexico

by JohnH1

"13th September 1847"

The history of Mexico in relation to the United States (and also France) is well worth studying. But I won't go into it here!

"Presidente Intercontinental"

The Hotel Presidente Intercontinental is a fine hotel in the Polanco area of Mexico City. The rates are not exactly a bargain, though much less over weekends. After that....well, who cares as the company pays! (Not mine, however, as I'm self-employed!)

Right next to Auditorio Nacional.

If you like looking at HUGE flags (and people do seem to like them in Mexico and the US) you'll see a very big one fluttering nearby. Not exactly subtle! Certainly patriotic.

There are wonderful views from the top floors of this hotel, as you would expect.

Comments