Villas de Cerritos Beach

500 Cerritos Beach Road - Hwy 19, KM 64, north of Cabo / near Pescadero, Todos Santos, Baja Californ

More about Todos Santos

Sunrise WaitSunrise Wait

Le tre galline main entranceLe tre galline main entrance

Mrs. Charles Stewart at home.Mrs. Charles Stewart at home.

Behind the scenes of an eatery. The smiling chef.Behind the scenes of an eatery. The smiling chef.

Travel Tips for Todos Santos

Surf!

by Bunnylbj

Amanda and I bought our husbands surfboard for Christmas and it was a big hit. Here is Harry (my husband) with the new boards. One thing that was a major pain, however, was trying to ship the board back. We ended up checking it as luggage. When we turned up in Nashville, TN to visit some other friends, we got some strange looks!

Internet Cafe

by Bunnylbj

Located in the back of a stunning cactus garden is an internet cafe. I believe the outdoor patio restaurant that is also located in the cactus garden is called Cafe Listo. The internet cafe sells coffees and beers and other alcoholic drinks and the rate is approximatly 1 peso a minute (I think!!!) at any rate, it is very inexpensive to be online. You can also bring your own computer to plug in. The connection is relatively slow depending on the computer you get stuck with so it's best to bring your own.

Todos Santos.

by euzkadi

This small colonial city was founded in 1724 as a mission, later the place became a major sugar cane producer, and now is a touristic place and a meca for artists and lost hippies. It has some interesting buildings as the cathedral, the city theather and dozens of shops and art galleries. And the "supposed" original Hotel California is also located here.

And Now For Something Completely Different

by malecon

"Birds of a feather flock together as do artists"

It is recommended to anyone driving the length of the peninsula to Cabo San Lucas to return via Highway 19, if only to tour Todos Santos. It was represented to me in guidebooks as a sort of an artist colony with artwork from ex-pats but also from the indiginous folk as well.

When I arrived and located the main gallery area school was letting out under the watchful eye of a single policeman in the middle of the street. Of all the little towns on my tour I had never seen bus loads of tourists as I did in Todos Santos. It is a little town on display but not commercialized.

It was also here that I found my first english speaking bookstore where I picked up John Steinbeck's Sea of Cortez for a whopping $18. No bargaining at that store.

I found the town quiant and attractive. The side streets were inviting and held secret shops and galleries.

"A tourist town I wouldn't miss for the world."

Trinket shops and art objects are for sale throughout the town but mostly in one small district. There are restaurants and cafes that were packed with tourist. I found the rest of the town more pure in Mexican culture and figured there are two parts to this town. it was worth a pass and I snapped as many pictures as I could including ones of the people I made purchases from.

The town is true to the its artist colony reputation. If you like ecclectic artwork from ex-pats this might be heaven. They live a simple life here and nothing gave me the impression that the folk are hungry for tourist dollars. I witnessed several small construction projects in town and from the feel of the town I sense a contentment.

This town is in close proximaty to Cabo San Lucas from which most of the tourists come from. Other then that it is in the middle of nowere's ville along a loop that you will only pass through once. If this doesn't confirm the artist's intention of creating artwork true to their heart I don't know what will.

"Side streets and hidden galleries."

In one of the hidden art galleries I met the wife of artist Charles Stewart who is credited with being the first of the many artist to reside here starting in the ealy 1980's.

Their home is a museum of his works. She invited me to come over there and would give me the tour. When I arrived a dozen or so people were milling about admiring the colorful artwork on the walls. He was asleep by this time.

One of his big fans was Anthony Quinn who's correspondence she showed me along with news articles and awards he'd won.

Todos Santos - the perfect escape

by Bunnylbj

My husband and I were lucky to have a month in Todos Santos with some close friends. Our friends organized a rental of a beautiful house that had just been built. This house was just down the road from the beach and was the perfect place to party and relax and hang out! The guys went surfing and the girls went into town at "La Arca" for yoga classes. We'd all meet up at the beach and go on long walks, read, and watch the surfers. On our way in town from the beach we'd stop at the little veggie stand and collect produce we'd use for dinner that night. It was paradise!

This is our SWEET house that we lived in for a month. It was just built and had not been lived in - friends of our friends' parents.... a great deal and an awesome view of the beach and sleepy neighborhood. Paradise!

Here's the dune buggy that belongs to our friend's parents - they also have a VW bus we'd use to haul the surf boards and gear to the beach. So much fun!

Comments