Hotel Los Arcos

Avenida Alvaro Obregon 498, between Rosales and Allende, La Paz, Baja California, 23000, Mexico

More about Hotel Los Arcos

by eclark about Hotel Los Arcos

I think I paid about $69/night, but we had some sort of a group discount The hotel has old world charm, but all the modern conveniences. The bar has panoramic views of the harbor. There is a nice little pool and spa in the central courtyard, but the courtyard is relatively small and the building is three floors, so the sun only hits the deck for three or four hours a day. Since it was cool there in January, that was a disappointment, but for the rest of the year, I'm sure the shade is welcomed.

TAXCO - HOTEL LOS ARCOS

by swesn about TAXCO - HOTEL LOS ARCOS

PROS :
1) Excellent hotel converted from a former 17th-century monastery with a lovely courtyard and spectacular rooftop terrace where you can have an amazing view, especially at night when the whole undulating Taxco is lit up like a Christmas tree. You can even see the lighted-up Templo de Santa Prisca from there. Breath-taking!! My room was well-decorated, (with iron-wrought window grilles and door knob, no less), lovely white drapes and had a wooden table and some chairs. It has a lot of character.
CONS :
1) A tad expensive for my taste - 250 pesos. In fact, it was my most expensive stay in Mexico but then again, it was Semana Santa and I had a comfortable stay while nursing my cold...

LizSitka's new Mexico Page

by LizSitka

I was forced to attend the annual meeting of the Pacific Fisheries Technologist group in La Paz in February 2001. Not a horrible thing for a gal from Alaska. As long as I was going all that way I decided to spend a week of vacation kayaking in the Sea of Cortez. What a nice preamble to a meeting... the swarms of cormorants, pelicans and grebes along with the random visits of dolphins and the whales across the way made it splendid. We snuck in between two 'northerlies' which is unpaddle-able wind that is, apparently, common this time of year. The snorkeling was a bit chilly but possible for a well-padded gal like me. When the wind was up the snorkeling visibility was poor but otherwise there was a good selection of fishies to watch, along with the bottom side of grebes and diving pelicans - a unique snorkeling experience.

We paddled from Lareto south and slept out - a bit chilly this time of year for someone who tends to go very hot places on vacation.

I got back to La Paz sun-warmed and relaxed for the meeting and found that the hotel, Los Arcos, was smack in the middle of the Mardi Gras parade and festivities - the carnival went on for seven days. Good fun.

...to be continued...