Km 2.9 Carretera Palenque - Ruinas, Palenque, 29960, Mexico

PalenquePalenque

Travel Tips for Palenque

Selva Lancandon Trip: a summary

by darthmilmo

From Palenque, I took a tour into the Lancandon jungle. The jungle excursion from Palenque was awesome! I ventured into the Lancandon jungle with the aid of a tour since the area is not that secure. We were escorted by the 'federales' (police) all the way. During the two days, we visited three Mayan sites and the Lancandon jungle. The first site, Bonampak had impressive steles and Mayan murals in near perfect condition. The second site we visited, Yaxchilan, was engulfed within a jungle. This has to be the best Mayan site I’ve seen so far (well, just went to Tikal, Guatemala today, so Yaxchilan is now the second best... lol). Yaxchilan is not the best in buildings perhaps, but there is something about visiting a Mayan ruins that is the home of a family of howler monkeys. I almost felt like I was in Africa among gorillas for a second there :}. That night we slept on a simple cabin in the Lancandon jungle. The next day we venture into the jungle with a guide. Our guide took us on a 5 hr circuit that included the small Mayan temple of Lacanja. Try to take this tour! This trip is a wonderful chance of visiting an often missed region of Chiapas. Shop around the various companies to obtain the best price. As always, bargain, bargain, bargain! For additional information, check out my Palenque page, my Bonampak page, and my Yaxchilan page. Check out my Estado de Chiapas page for more pics and tips on this tour.

Comments