Bonampak San Cristóbal de Las Casas

Calzada Mexico 5, San Cristobal de las Casas, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 29200, Mexico
Otel.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Bonampak San Cristóbal de Las Casas

by Enzyme_X

This is one of the smaller mayan sites, yet here you can find the best preserved frescoes in whole Mexico. Very few visitors come to Bonampak and it can happen that you'll have the whole site just for yourself. Dense jungle, wild animals you may see, add even more to the feeling that this place is really off the beaten path.

My Bonampak Page

Selva Lancandon Trip: Bonampak

by darthmilmo

Bonampak is monopolized by the Lancandon Indians, so expect a high entry fee (they even force you to take their vehicles the last couple kilometers of the road used to access the ruins). The sight is amazing. The steles are so well preserved, clearly beyond belief. There are three rooms with some of the best murals I’ve seen. The certainly are one of the best preserve Mayan art available today and probably one of the best preserve Meso-American art as well.

by canuckmike

"Discovered" in 1946 by Giles Healy, Bonampak would be an average Mayan site if it weren't for the murals that are which makes it worthy stop if you are in the area. In Structure 1 there are 3 rooms that are completed painted. It is currently the only Mayan ruins that the paintings are so detailed and well preserved. The ruins themselve are a fair size with a lot of stairs. There are a couple of large stelae in the area but the majority of the site is located at one building (picture 2). From where the van drops you off to the ruins is about a 500m walk crossing an old airfield. I cannot remember the price for entrance but I believe it is only a couple of bucks, more if you have a video camera. There are some unimpressive souvenir shops here and a store. Bonampak is located close to the Guatemalan border nearish the frontier town of Frontera Corozal.

by Enzyme_X

Ruins of the Mayan town Bonampak can not compete with some others in their largness or spectacularity, yet here you can find the best preserved frescoes in whole Mexico. Very few visitors come to Bonampak and it can happen that you'll have the whole site just for yourself. Dense jungle, wild animals you may see, add even more to the feeling that this place is really off the beaten path.

My Bonampak Page

Selva Lancandon Trip: a summary

by darthmilmo

From Palenque, I took a tour into the Lancandon jungle. The jungle excursion from Palenque was awesome! I ventured into the Lancandon jungle with the aid of a tour since the area is not that secure. We were escorted by the 'federales' (police) all the way. During the two days, we visited three Mayan sites and the Lancandon jungle. The first site, Bonampak had impressive steles and Mayan murals in near perfect condition. The second site we visited, Yaxchilan, was engulfed within a jungle. This has to be the best Mayan site I’ve seen so far (well, just went to Tikal, Guatemala today, so Yaxchilan is now the second best... lol). Yaxchilan is not the best in buildings perhaps, but there is something about visiting a Mayan ruins that is the home of a family of howler monkeys. I almost felt like I was in Africa among gorillas for a second there :}. That night we slept on a simple cabin in the Lancandon jungle. The next day we venture into the jungle with a guide. Our guide took us on a 5 hr circuit that included the small Mayan temple of Lacanja. Try to take this tour! This trip is a wonderful chance of visiting an often missed region of Chiapas. Shop around the various companies to obtain the best price. As always, bargain, bargain, bargain! For additional information, check out my Palenque page, my Bonampak page, and my Yaxchilan page. Note, all of this tips would have made up my Selva Lancandon page, but there was no location for it so excuse the repetition.

BonampakBonampak

Selva Lancandon Trip: BonampakSelva Lancandon Trip: Bonampak

PALENQUE, BONAMPAK, YAXCHILAN this weekend

by pedroebc

I travel this weekend to the zone of pyramids in Chiapas, let me know the tour prices,...maybe see you around...

pedro

RE: PALENQUE, BONAMPAK, YAXCHILAN this weekend

by Enzyme_X

Can't guarantee it's the right price, but I remember this price, 250 pesos. Went to Bonampak & Yaxchilan on my own, so this number just remaind in my memory while walking in Palenque & ''by the way'' seeing advertising for these trips. While Lonely Planet says it costs 500 pesos & more.
I think it depends on how meny people are taking the trip. The price can vary because the prices for boat ride to ruinas de Yaxchilan depend on how many people are riding (1-3 people...500 pesos, 4-6 people...600 pesos,...)

RE: PALENQUE, BONAMPAK, YAXCHILAN this weekend

by pedroebc

thanks for the advise dude...

mosquitos here we go !!!!

pedro

Laguna miramar

by supalady

this is such a long shot...has anyone gone to laguna miramar off there own back? ie not on a tour? i want to know if i can get there via the river that flows to guatemala from near bonampak or if i can get there on the highway that runs parallel to it by combi or bus? reply ASAP.

RE: Laguna miramar

by Enzyme_X

I was planing to go there, but I've run out of time. From my information, you can't go to Laguna from Bonampak (the river doesnt flow to Laguna), neither from the the highway (Carretera Fronteriza). Maybe from Ixcan, south of Laguna.
The best way to get there is from Ocosingo or Las Margeritas (nera Comitan).

Re: Laguna miramar

by Sculpto

Also, you should not try to do this alone. It is a very bad idea and in some ways a disrespect to the people that live near the lake.

Hire a guide in San Cristobal!

TS / Hurricane Stan

by e-katarina

Is it possible to go to these places in Chiapas due to the recent storm/hurricane and all the rain:
- San Cristobal de Las Casas (night bus from Merida, is the road ok?)
- Villages around San Cristobal
- Ocosingo, Tonina (from SCDC)
- Palenque (Road from Ocosingo)
- Yaxchilan, Bonampak, Lacandon Jungle (two day tour from Palenque)

Concerning Yaxchilan, the access is by river.. is it safe, or too much water? Are people going there these days?

Thanks for all info on the situation..

Comments