Best Western Palmareca Hotel & Suites

Blvd Belisario Dominguez 4120, Col Jardines de Tuxtla, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, 29020, Mexico
BEST WESTERN Palmareca Hotel & Suites
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Tuxtla Gutiérrez

View of the CityView of the City

Travel Tips for Tuxtla Gutiérrez

Sumidero Canyon

by Srechko

"Getting to Chiapa De Corzo"

Chiapa De Corzo is a small town where main embarcadero is located form where lanchas (boats) go touring Sumidero Canyon. I got there by catching local bus in Tuxtla Gutierrez which is some 45 minutes away. Chiapa De Corzo is a nice little town, also obviously quite touristy.

"Looking for a good deal"

I found the embarcadero quickly and decided to look around and chat with locals to figure if there are alternative (and cheaper) ways of taking this tour. Surprisingly, there was only one way to take this tour - the official ticket booth. I decided to go for lunch and think about the options.

"Going for the ride"

After lunch, I figured that 2 hour ride should do it so I bought ticket for US$9. I got on the next boat and was off to a speedy and very pleasant ride through the canyon.

"Crocodiles and monkeys"

Guide would stop occasionally and give some information about the canyon - unfortunatly only in Spanish - which I normally don't mind - but this time I was not able to follow him much.

We saw a few howler monkey families but real excitement was when we spotted a crocodile.

"More ride and more stops and more explanations"

For another hour or so - I truly enjoyed the thrill of this ride and the beauty of the canyon.

"Unxpected break in the middle of nowhere"

Then after 1.5 hours of the ride, guide decided to make a stop at his friend's restaurant located in the middle of nowhere. I was not hungry and I tried exploring the area, but there was no way to go anywhere - really strange situation and area. Anyway we stayed there for an hour and I got quite mad as now I was supposed to look for transport back to San Cristobal at dark - which I was trying to avoid.

"Back after more than 3 hours"

We continued the ride after the long break, and we were almost back at the docks when the guide turned the engine off, gave a speech (in Spanish of course - he didn't speak any English at all), and asked for a tip. I decided not to give him any from several reasons...unplanned break, not speaking english and working at the touristy spot, and this "on the spot" approach to get the money out of people.

Got on the collectivo from Chiapa De Corzo to the main road and there afte more than an hour wait, on the bus to San Cristobal...

Comments