Hotel Maria Bonita

Hotel Maria Bonita Business Hotel & Suites
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Juárez

Monumento a los TorosMonumento a los Toros

Alligator or fish?Alligator or fish?

Me and my tea :)Me and my tea :)

Happy JourneyHappy Journey

Travel Tips for Juárez

Juarez is worth a day trip

by Luke9

"Visit if only for the beer!"

After weeks of drinking the low alohol beer in Texas, Juarez was a haven.

The market is worth a visit but is mostly tourist tat as you would expect. Most Americans seem to go to get cheap medicines. There are many pharmacies around the market area.

I went on the border jumper bus which was a recommended way to go.

3 hours in Juarez?

by xxgirasolexx

"My cousin and her great ideas..."

For Memorial Day weekend, I went to visit my aunt and her family in New Mexico. On Sunday morning we were all trying to decide where we should go out to eat brunch. My aunt wanted to go to some pancake and waffle house whereas I was already ready for lunch as in PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps. My cousin then suggested we go to the Melting Pot. We all agreed on that and started getting ready to head out. Suddenly she got this look on her face and said, "I have this great idea! Let's go somewhere you've never been!" I was like, "Where?" Then she screamed, "MEXICO!" Crazy as we both are, we convinced every one to make the 4 hour drive through Texas across the border to Juarez, Mexico. I can't say I was overjoyed about it all as I have always said I would only go to Mexico for Mexico City, a resort beach, or deep in the jungles to view a temple. Juarez was a bit ghetto and seedy, but the people were nice. I only came back with 2 postcards and a dress, but at least now I can say I've been to Mexico and know more Spanish than the chihuahua in that commercial saying "Yo quiero Taco Bell!" I LOVE MY COUSIN! She's the best!

"So they hit me on the head..."

Yeah, I'm not sure what it was all about, but right behind this fountain thing, there was this special religious thing going on. They hit this woman and a man on the forehead with a book and they fell over on the floor and passed out...and then I walked away because I wasn't sure what I was seeing.

"Not from Juarez, but check out this food!"

Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico

by JamesABQ

"Where It All Began"

La ciudad en que yo naci, la llevo siempre en mi corazon al igual que a mi linda jente. Que Dios me los guarde a todos. This is the city where I was born. A city of 1.7 million people. A city, unfortunately, very impoverished and crime stricken. A city where more than 300 women have been murdered and found buried over the past ten years. A city where women still continue to go missing on a regular basis. To the perpetrators of these awful crimes; Your time will come. God is just and your days are numbered!

I don't recomend driving in this city. Just do what I do and leave your car in El Paso and walk or take the bus in Juarez. You will miss very much if you don't get out and walk.

Juarez: Enjoy, but use caution and common sense

by davequ

"This isn't yer daddy's Juarez"

Maybe you will be doing business in El Paso someday and get the urge to cross the border and party some evening.

Just some unsolicited and humble advice/opinion:

In the 60s and 70s I played music and whenever we were in the southwest we would always zip over the border from El Paso to Juarez for R & R.
Even back then you had to be a little cautious & discrete if you like to "push the envelope" when it comes to having fun.

But times have changed.

Nightlife in Ciudad Juarez has sadly become, to say the least, "adventurous."

What once was a relatively harmless place to have late-night fun has become somewhat risky.
Due to serious drug-related crime, some of the old haunts and pastimes can now be a little dangerous.

It's still safe to do the daytime tourist thing of crossing the border/bridge on foot for shopping & bartering, etc. but if drinking and partying late is your favorite pastime, just be careful over there.

I have friends who grew up in El Paso and spent their adolescence regularly crossing the border alone for underage drinking, chasing the lovely senoritas, pot, etc. without a second thought.

Nowdays they will not go there at night as full grown adults: too many possibilities, and a lot of them are bad.

Some local merchants and pharmacists in Juarez will openly and without shame advise American tourists: "Stay out of the local downtown clubs or you'll likely end up robbed or dead, & stay off the streets at night, especially downtown, because the cops may rob you."
When I visited old friends there last year, they gave me the same advice.

Please take this humble caution in the spirit it is given. Not trying to preach or sound alarmist, and if you're a "G-rated" daytime tourist, you still have little to be concerned about.

Summary:

There are plenty of fun things to do in Mexico that don't involve binging on alcohol, drugs, senoritas, or vices that exploit a financially poor culture that is trying to survive.

And Mexico is a damn fine country with good, hardworking people.

But if hearty, bleeding-edge partying is your thing, think twice before you venture blindly alone into Juarez at night.

Some websites: