3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

Travel Tips for La Paz

La Paz Tip

by daBertl

The fondest memory I have of La Paz was certainly the ferry boat ride to Topolobampo on the Mexican mainland. The sail was very nice and we had a beautiful night. I was sleeping on the deck and had a nice sea breezing cooling me from the terribly hot night. (Check my web page for a more informative story about that trip - www.zacarias.com?latinamericaroadtrip)

Baja Mexico Dec-Jan 2002

by travfish

Baja, Is a great place to be in Dec and Jan - especially coming from Alaska. Ive spent time in Cabo San Lucas which is basically a chunk of southern CA dropped on the bottom of the Penninsula. Theres no reason to spend allot of money in Mexico and if you want to have a good time just chillin you need to get away from the Gringos, go to La-Paz. Fishing, Diving, beaches, great food and fun hangin with friendly Mexicans and a day trip can be made to Todos Santos a little town on the Pacific side. You can surf and or surf fish here and Shut Up Franks has great bar burgers. The food in Baja is great but nothing beats a greasy burger with your Pacifico!

LizSitka's new La Paz Page

by LizSitka

I was able to combine business and pleasure in Feb 2001 with a Pacific Fisheries Technologists meeting in La Paz preceded by a week of kayaking in the Gulf of California. The PFT organizers, CIBNOR faculty, failed to tell us that we would be visiting during the week of Carnival - the week before Lent - which is a big deal in La Paz. Mexicans came from all over to watch the parades (a different one each night) and wander up and down the malecon sampling food, drink, games and rides. Our hotel (Los Arcos y Cabanas) and the other conference hotel (La Perla) were in the middle of the festivities and it was quite pleasurable to watch the parades from the comfort of the Los Arcos second story bar. The margaritas are strong but made with a mix. Sigh. Whatever happened to real limes?

Our ocean front strip was fairly touristy but just a few blocks inland I found normal shopping and restaurants. I could be quite happy living on fish tacos and Tecate beer. Our conference attendees included some wild women from British Columbia and when they joined forces with the wild women from Alaska we had great fun.

We made our way up to Tipolte (sp?) on the point of land seen from town, and hired a panga to take us out to El Spiritu Santos (sp?) where the snorkeling was cool but excellent (I only had a swimsuit, my friend with a skin was able to stay in longer) and on the trip out we got to play with a pod of dolphins who seemed to delight in riding our bow wake and showing off flips and turns and splashing us. The driver, the owner of one of the restaurants along the beach, took us around to the balancing rock (forgot the name) and showed off the roosting pelicans and cormorants. It was MUCH cheaper to hire a boat out there than in town.

Food was wonderful and cheap. Camarones (shrimp) were tasty and probably the most expensive thing on the menu. One place I'll probably never find again had a splended lobster salad for 80 pesos. Another C---- Grill on the main drag has the meals in a hot rock - almost a soup of meat, cactus, chilis and avocado in a sauce with this... well... big ol' rock. The presentation is very fun and the beer to go with it was very cold. Chicken 'hot rock' was 50 pesos and shrimp 'hot rock' was 140 pesos.

I felt that the waterfront touristy shops were awful dollar conscious. The shops a few blocks inland were more likely to tell you you'd given them too much money and return the rest.

I think there are cheaper places to stay than Los Arcos but at 60-100 dollars I guess it's a good deal for most U.S. citizens. I have a bit of schizophrenia between my business travel personna and my budget travel vacation persona.

Have fun when you go!