Grand Ramel

La Audiencia beachLa Audiencia beach

Park fountain.Park fountain.

One-day cruise visit to Manzanillo

by rplothow

We are frequent cruisers and will be making our fourth cruise down the Pacific side of Mexico this winter that will include a day in Manzanillo, which is one of the few major Pacific ports we've not visited. We understand that the city itself is rather unspectacular, but we also hear good things about the beaches and region around Manzanillo.

Has anyone on this forum been to the turtle sanctuary near Cuyutlan? Is it worth the six-hour excursion through the cruise line?

Re: One-day cruise visit to Manzanillo

by Agraichen

Normally most any excursion by yourself is much less expensive than one run by the cruise. However if you don't know the lay of the land, the extra price helps. After my first trip to Hell via the cruse line, I took the local bus for about $0.50 vs the $65 the cruise line wanted. Granted it was not an air-conditioned bus but the savings certainly paid for a lot more than I got on my first tour. I'm not familiar with the mainland (only Baja) but some web searched should provide you with the needed info if you don't get it here.

Re: One-day cruise visit to Manzanillo

by pencho15

I've been to Manzanillo and indeed the city ain't very interesting, you can take a walk on the mains square were you can see a big statue of a sail fish by mexican sculptor Sebastian (pictures on my Manzanillo travel page) or visit some stores but that's pretty much all there is to see, I also understand there is a small archeological museum in charge of the Colima University but I couldn't visit it when I was there so I can't tell you about it.

The main attraction of Manzanillo are the beaches there are many of them and they have a good infraestructure since it is a place visited by many tourist, many beaches are surrounded by hotels but as every beach in Mexico they are public, the only problem is you'll hardly be able to pass through the hotel and you'll have to find the public entrance, but the taxi driver that takes you there will probably know about it.

I don't know much about Cuyutlán except that it is a visit often prommoted by tour guides, when I was in Manzanillo I tooked a one day trip to the capital city of the state, Colima, and to the samll town of Comala and the Nogueras Hacienda, both Comala and Nogueras are very pretty places and I can recomend both to you, if your cruise offers you trips to Cuyutlán they'll probably also have the option to visit this places wich are worth a look.

Comments