Tesoro Manzanillo

Avda de la Audiencia 1, Peninsula De Santiago, Manzanillo, Pacific Coast, 28200, Mexico

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• pencho15's Profile Photo

Tesoro Resort

Tesoro Resort is located in front of "La Audiencia" beach in the Santiago peninsula. From my pint of view it is not the best place to stay for a single reason, it is enormous. It has seventeen floors and hundreds of rooms, this by itself would not be a problem, but it seems like the hotel staf is easily overcomed by the size of the building, and so they are unable to provide you with the best services. The day we arrived none of our rooms were clean, and we had to wait a lot of time before being able to occupy them, in the night we had to wait for over an hour for an hour to get a extra bed we had requested in the moment we arrived, also some plates and glasses in our room were dirty. This only has two possible solutions, or they make their hotel smaller, or they hire more employees, the way it works now it is not your best option.

Unique Quality: On the other hand the rroms are spacious, they seem to be worried about ecology (as they ask you to keep your room towels hanged up if you wouldn't mind to use them again in order to save water), and the service in restaurants and bars is excellent. We travelled to Manzanillo after a hurricane and the afternoons were usually rainy, we spent hours in a restaurant or in a bar and we always left satisfied with the food variety and quality and with the service of the waiters.
    Still consider you'll probably won't get the best service in your room.

Directions: In the Santiago peninsula, very near Las Hadas, in front of "La Audiencia" beach.

More about Tesoro Manzanillo

great time, we're going back

by TripAdvisor Member svc

Just returned from a week at the Sierra, Nov 1-8. When we first walked in I was a little disappointed because, although it was VERY clean, it was a little dated. We arrived late on Saturday night and I was a little put off by the buffet. There was not much there, but that was because we were so late. The food is fine. The buffets for breakfast and lunch are good. Dinner is fabulous in the Los Tibores gourmet restaurant. You are only suppose to go once a week but if they aren't busy you can go as often as it is open. Dinner was very good in the "steak" restaurant, although there wasn't any steak when we were there!
The snack bar, open for lunch is fine- pizza, burgers, etc. I am quite a picky eater but found stuff to eat all the time. The rooms were VERY clean, but dated. I am used to the Mexico style wiith warm orange tones, etc. This place is more Greek looking and very white. It gives it a somewhat cold feel to it. The staff were fabulous. When I called a couple times for room requests, they responded immediately. Don't lose your safety deposit box key. We lost our in the water. Besides the fact that it took them close to an hour to drill into the box (we watched), it cost us $100 US!!! The pool is great. The beach is unbelievable!!
Warm water, sandy bottom, clean. You can snokel along the rocky cliffs on either side of the bay and there is lots of underwater life to see.
We opted for a snorkeling trip through two brothers that work on the beach-tall, skinny guy and a short guy with glasses and a red baseball cap-Louie and Rick. They are the "sales people". They grew up in Chicago and spoke perfect english. You can take out a boat with a guide for an hour and a half for 70$ US. It holds up to 12 people. We got a bunch of people from the hotel and each paid 10$. The same tour from the hotel is 25$. They add a couple beautiful views, but we just wanted to go to the snorkel place and dive. It was great and highly recommended. It is definately a family resort with lots of kids even in November. I was a bit surprised about that. On the weekends it seems to be the place to come for Mexicans. One of the couples that we met went to check out Las Hadas. They said that it was absolutely beautiful, unbelievable but completely empty! You should watch www.sunvacations.ca for some good deals there!! There were 6 of us an we all decided to come back with our kids! Enjoy your holiday.

Excellent Once Again

Once again the staff at the Sierra out did themselves to make our vacation the best....We just returned from two weeks in the glorious sunshine. Our room was clean and in FULL working order and any time we needed anything they were always there to accomadate. The Activity Staff did a wonderful job at night as well as in the day.....they work extremely long hours and still come to work up beat and willing to take on a bunch of drunk and spoiled North American's....The food was good and no one I saw got sick from anything but drinking too much. Our days consisted of relaxing by the pool and our nights filled with fun and laughter from ALL the Entertainment Staff....A huge GRACIAS to you guys and gals for making our trip awesome once again....see you next year.....Adios

Geat Vacation

Just what I expected! I Was worried from some of the previous reviews prior to leaving. I have been to several different places in Mexico Ixtapa,Mazatlan, P.V. , Cabo. My husband and kids had never been to Mexico other than at the border and they had no idea what to expect.We would love go back again. You won't be dissapointed, Even our young adult sons had a blast. Clean, Comfortable,Enteraining,Friendly.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member AVKleinburg

Very nice area if you want to relax. Beach is great, pool is nice as well. After reading the earlier reviews I was not sure what to expect.
The food is not the greatest but breakfast was great. Lunch and dinner they had alot of Mexican type food but the BBQ consisted of Top Sirloin(very thin and chewy), BBQ chicken(poor taste) and sausages which were good. The staff is great, when you see other reviews they make the staff seem bad but I think it is all how you treat them. Be patient on the staff that don'e speak english they will find someone who does. If you are Catholic they have a mass in the hotel every Sunday. People on the beach selling things are not too agressive. Stay away from Ricardo for the boat tours (from Chicago originally), he asked us the same question about three times a day for the first 3 days until I snapped on the 4th day. He left us alone. All in all the hotel is nice, about 13 years old, staff is great. Would rate this as a 3.5-4 star hotel. You will not get sick from the food, but the quality is not the greatest. I would receommend this hotel for families and couples.
Ask to be higher up (they have 19 floors) since it can get noisy at night.

Better than Expected!

After reading some of the previous reviews, we too, were very wary of what we would find when we arrived. The hotel is beautiful and in great condition for the tropics. The entire hotel had gorgeous marbel flooring and we found everything to be very clean, neat & orderly.
Probably closer to a 3 star than 4 1/2 star by Canadian standards.This is a FAMILY hotel- probably 70% Mexicans and LOTS of kids- so maybe not the best location if you are looking for a "romantic getway." The food was okay- Breakfast was very good, lots of variety. Lunch & Dinner were fair to average- they had alot of mexican dishes- There was alot of variety in the other food- but not the up to the standards we are used to here, but you have to keep in mind you are in a developing country.
The a la carte dinners were great thought- something to look forward to.The beach was nice- black volcanic sand and a small sheltered bay- the water was warm and the water wasn't too rough for swimming- and there were next to no vendors on the beach. Snorkelling was okay but there are jelly fish so beware.The activities staff were EXCELLENT- great activities during the day and the pool & on the beach and wonderful shows at night. The rest of the staff were very friendly, very helpful and the majority spoke good english or at least enough to communicate.On the whole I'd give it a 3 or 3 & 1/2 star rating- a great choice for a budget family vacation.

great food, great tours

This was my first time in Manzanillo and I was a bit wary of going to the Sierra due to the other reviews on this board. After comparing with Las Hadas and Karmina, we decided to go with Sierra. While the hotel isn't exactly 5 star, the place isn't so bad as long as you remember that it's a family hotel, so expect alot of noisy kids running around.
Our vacation was a bit shortcomed since it rained hard during the first days of our stay. The locals say it shouldn't rain this time of year, and luckily we did get some days of sunshine before we left. The food is great, I love the little hut they use as a church, it's actually nice that they have mass every Sunday so I won't miss it cause I'm out of town, and the pool is wonderful. Everyone is so nice and helpful and our room is a dream, an excellent view of the beach, just like I always wanted. The entertainment is great including kaoroke, dance contests, even shows! The all inclusive pays off as you can get drink after drink after drink, and you get kayaks for free too. The hotel gives you the kayaks and they also have boat tours, but surprisingly, the local vendors on the beach have better deals and better service. We were lucky enough to run into these brothers from Chicago, Lou and Ricardo, and they speak perfect English. They offered us a private snorkeling trip for 60 bucks that took us right where we wanted to go, and one of them, the skinnier one even went with us to translate. The hotel offered some friends of ours the same trip, but wanted to charge us 30 bucks a piece, for basically the exact same thing we did. Be careful with them, the hotel tours aren't always the best. The hotel also seemed to treat us rather coldly after we went with the Chicago brothers, giving us mean glances as we went for their kayaks and other things. Sorry, but as tourists, we'll go wherever we like. Apart from the rudeness, I must say some of the food is recycled.. like the same thing we ate for breakfast is served again as lunch, just preheated.
And while the resort is ok, we just expected a little more with all their '5 star' advertising. Anyways, we had a great vacation and we loved the hotel. It's not perfect, but aside from a few things here and there, it's not stopping us from coming back next year! Drop in and check it out!

Sierra Hotel

We travelled to Manzanillo for 2 weeks with 2 other couples. This was our 1st trip to Manzanillo; however we ve travelled to many other parts of Mexico over the past 10 years.The Resort: Sierra is situated about a half hour from the airport and a half hour from downtown Manzanillo. You can walk to the town of Santiago. The location is downright breathtaking. I should note that the resort was not very busy when we were there, only about 15% full the first week and about 30% full the second week.The Beach and Pool: The beach is not very long but a nice stroll can be had. The water can get deep rather quickly so be aware. Good swimming on a very sandy beach, no rocks. Snorkeling is great, in fact it was better here than in most of the places we had paid good money to snorkel at in the past. We saw hundreds of different varieties of marine life, all from quite close to shore. All water activities are offered to you as soon as you step onto the beach, but all the vendors were very polite and accepted a polite no. The pool area is a good size with lots of chairs and canopies to provide shade.The Room: We requested a quiet room and a king size bed as we had heard that some rooms face the pool and can be quite noisy at night as the disco is right beside the pool. We received a quiet room at the far end of the resort on the fifth floor, our balcony was so close to the beach I could almost feel the salt spray on my face. We did not hear any noise from our neighbors at any time. The room was quite large and very clean. There was a small table with 2 chairs and a desk with a chair. The t.v. had 3 movie channels in English and some news and sports channels. We had a radio in our room as well, but our friends did not. The balcony was a good size to sit on and enjoy the sunset. A fridge was provided, that was stocked with pop, beer and water. Just ask for more of a particular item and they were happy to provide it for us. The bathroom was a good size for my husband and I to get ready in without stepping all over each other. The water pressure was great and towels were actually soft, another thing that was new to us in Mexico. Downsides to the room are that there was no in room safe, you had to use the one at the front desk, at not extra cost. Some of the rooms need upgrades, tub hardly had any porcelain left on it s base. Air conditioner seemed to work either on high or on off only. No fan in bathroom to clear the steam. All minor problems though.Activities: The activity staff worked hard to provide entertainment for everyone. The activities were lacking as compared to other resorts we had stayed at. Very few activities were planned during the day, and often the ones that were planned just did not materialize. The children s activities were non existent. There were not many children at the resort, so I never saw a single child in the children s activity room. This was probably because of the lack of guests staying at the hotel. Nightly entertainment was very good. Shows were presented on the sixth floor s outdoor roof deck, and often buffet dinners were also provided there as well.Restaurants: There is the main buffet dinning room that served all meals. There was always a good selection of food for all meals, you certainly would not go hungry. However food was often cool, or overcooked from sitting on warming trays. I would of liked to of seen more variety of foods here. Staff were very attentive and were usually very willing to try and accommodate you. If there was something that you wanted that wasn t there, they would attempt to provide it, especially if a tip followed. The Palapa snack bar provided lunch beside the pool, serving hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, nachos, and salad. This restaurant became one of the a la carte restaurants which was open every other night. The food here was passable. We ate here each week and some items were good, and some were really bad; overall bad comments were heard from many of the guests. But look at it as a alternate restaurant to eat at. This restaurant also turned into the Disco at night (very versatile). The 2nd a la carte restaurant was located on the sixth floor in an enclosed room. The food and service here was very good. You can get lobster, shrimp and steak at an additional cost. One week I got the lobster, it was huge and certainly worth the extra cost. The second week my husband got the shrimp and he loved it. The room got very warm and stuffy as there are no no smoking regulations. There is nice live piano music, unless you are situated right beside the piano and then forget about talking. Room service is also provided at an additional cost.I had read some reviews of people complaining about sand fleas, and since I am prone to getting bites I made sure I stayed away from the sand. After a few days I noticed bites on my legs below my knees and wasn t sure where they were coming from. Three of our friends also had bites, and after a week we figured it out. The main lounge beside the front desk has carpet throughout, and it also has fleas. The nice a la carte restaurant also had carpet and fleas. It is basically a loosing battle, no sense spraying as they would just come back due to the climate. My biggest question is why do they have carpet when the rest of the hotel has beautiful marble floors? We stayed out of these areas and the bites stopped. Next time I am wearing flea collars instead of ankle bracelets. This lounge was also enclosed and no windows opened. It got very stuffy when filled and very smoky.Spa: I did choose to splurge and enjoy a spa package. They had very good rates and I choose a manicure, pedicure and 50 minute massage for 655 pesos. I was disappointed in the manicure and pedicure as it certainly was below the standards that I expect; however the massage was well worth every penny. Overall I was satisfied as the price was much lower than other resorts I ve been to.Golf: My husband decided to splurge and go golfing. We are located very close to the Las Hadas golf course. The rate that we were quoted was $100 US for the round, $48 for the cart (which was mandatory). He did not golf here he did however golf at Isle de Navidad which is rated very highly by Golf Digest. That course charge $162 US for a round, $20 for a caddie (note that was winter rate) price went up in January. It will cost you about $70 to take a taxi round trip from the hotel.Manzanillo: we loved this city. We travelled all over by foot or by local bus. It is 5 pesos to Manzanillo, bus picks you up right outside hotel. 4 pesos to the stores on the main drag. We also took the local Greyhound bus from Santiago to Barra de Navidad (about an hour away), cost was 26 pesos, one way. This trip was very nice and a good way to see the area. We did take one tour to Colima through the tour company. It was rather expensive but very informative and we were glad we went. People here are very friendly and very helpful. Not many locals speak English, but a Spanish/English dictionary helps.

A little disappointing...

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Sierra. I would say it wasn't what we were expecting for a 4.5 star hotel. The room was in good condition, but the furniture was a little outdated. Our bar fridge didn't seem to work, but we hardly used the items found in it anyways.
We had a room on the 11th floor which allowed for a great view of the bay.....I would suggest requesting a room that was even higher.

The occupancy of the hotel was way down, and rumoured to be about 30%.
It was tough to find another young couple as it seemed that the average age was around 60 (lots of room at the pool though). The food was average, but was quite often on the cool side as it layed in the not-so-warm warmers. Nightly shows were every other night, and were of an average quality. Both of us managed to get sick for a day, so that also didn't sit well. The beach was clean, but had quite a sharp approach into the water. If you are looking to body surf, you won't be able to here, as the waves don't break due the sharp angle of the beach.

Overall, I just didn't feel that this hotel and it's offerings were of the 4.5 star level and was not what we were looking for.

Excellent adventure

Hola! My sister in-law and I just returned from a week in Manzanillo at the Sierra. We had a fantastic time. The weather, beach, pool, staff, room, food, everything was great. We had read some of the reviews of the hotel before we left so were prepared. But everything was better than we expected. We met some great people as well as the locals. My sister in-law spoke some spanish and was eager to learn more. This helps and the locals love when you try. We were treated very well and made sure we showed our appreciation by tipping.

We were shocked by some peoples reaction to the vendors on the beach and the staff. I think people should remember that you should treat people the way you would want to be treated.

We took it easy mostly, relaxing soaking up the sun. But you could kick it up a notch if you wanted. Disco, tours, watersports, nightly activities were all great fun. The staff really tries to get everyone involved. We felt bad for them when nobody got involved. We were always game and when others joined in they had a great time too. You're on vacation, live a little!!

We went into town for dinner and shopping. "La Pergola" on the main drag in Santiago was great. Good steak, seafood and lots of different wines.

People should remember that Mexico is a poorer society than Canada and US. Lower your expectations!. If you want culture, wonderful people and great scenery, go to Mexico.

We loved it and will definetely go back to Manzanillo and the Sierra.

Comments