Casa Zuniga B&B

cjon del Pochote NO. 38, col Centro Historico (Monumento Pipila), Guanajuato, Guanajuato, 36000, Mex
Expedia.com Official Site Hotels.com

More about Casa Zuniga B&B

Casa Zuniga and Its Owners are as Impressive and Gorgeous as Guanajuato: My Worldwide Top 5 for Value

by TripAdvisor Member UNCBlue4Us

We recently spent three incredible nights at Casa Zuniga. It was, without doubt, the accommodation highlight of our almost two week journey through central Mexico (Querétaro-San Miguel- Guanajuato- Tlaquepaque-Bucerias). I have been very, very fortunate to have traveled to more than 55 countries in the world; and, Casa Zuniga is now in my worldwide “top 5” for best value.

First the “house”: Casa Zuniga is eye-popping beautiful, and a true labor of love for its owners. About three years old, it is has multi levels, and as I recall, nine guest rooms. I counted, at least, three large, and tastefully decorated living rooms. The style of Casa Zuniga is modern (open and full of light); but, through their very careful attention to detail, it has a definite elegant and traditional , “hacienda” feel. There are multiple terraces and patios which are great for enjoying a sunset drink overlooking all of magnificent Guanajuato. They are completing a swimming pool and a water filtration system which will allow their guests to drink water from the tap in their room (imagine that in Mexico). Our room, with a great king size, super comfortable, bed, was more than spacious (enormous bath); and included a private patio complete with fountain.

Second, the location: Casa Zuniga is located, steps from La Pipila, a huge monument overlooking the incredible panorama of Guanajuato, one of the truly outstanding views in the world. Reaching Casa Zuniga is a simple and inexpensive taxi ride from the bus station (about $4 US, including tip). Rick will be there to meet you. And when Rick says he will be there, he will be there. He opened my door when our taxi arrived. For accessing Guanajuato, Casa Zuniga is a perfect location. Simply use the funicular, a few steps from Casa Zuniga. It is about a three minute descent to Guanajuato, which ends just steps behind the Teatro Juarez and Jardín Unión, the most visited spot in Guanajuato. And, your funicular fare (unlimited trips) is included with your room at Casa Zuniga From a location standpoint, we were so happy we chose Casa Zuniga. Guanajuato is a very busy city (bustling and loud), more so, for its size, than any we visited during our trip. It was so great to end a day of touring and escape the busy city to the relaxation of Casa Zuniga. Casa Zuniga is a true, kick back, and relaxed spot perched above a gorgeous, yet very busy city.

Finally Casa Zuniga’s Owners and Hosts: I could spend several pages describing how warmly wonderful, gracious, and helpful Rick and Carmen were. We came to their house as guests and left three days later as great friends. Now, Rick and Carmen are just not a couple of ex-pats that decided to open up a B & B in Guanajuato. Carmen is a native of Guanajuato; and, her family still lives there. Rick is from the bay area in California and met Carmen more than 43 years ago, in Guanajuato, while studying Spanish there. (IMO, Rick was more “studying” Carmen more than Spanish.). For guests at Casa Zuniga, it is a perfect combination.

Each guest is met personally by Rick. And he/they carry you luggage to you room.
For each party, Rick will give you a visual orientation, from the Pipila, overlooking Guanajuato. Guanajuato is difficult to navigate; and, to see it from above, is very useful. Once you have dropped off the luggage, Rick will provide a 30 minute or so walking tour of Guanajuato, to get your bearings (you will need it in Guanajuato). And from then on, Rick and Carmen are so enthusiastic in answering any questions. And they include a beautiful booklet (no charge) describing Guanajuato.

And, finally, the breakfast. It is a full, and I mean full, delicious breakfast. They ask us about our preferences. Could not have been better. It’s completely “home cooking” at its very best.. Nothing but fresh is in the kitchen of Casa Zuniga, bought daily. And, we loved hanging out with Rick and Carmen at breakfast. Their breakfast room, with the great fireplace, is way cool.

If your travel plans include Guanajuato, Casa Zuniga is a “can’t miss” spot.

Like staying with friends.

by TripAdvisor Member frenchwitch

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at Casa Zuniga, and I knew from the moment we met Rick that we were going to feel at home there. Our room was very clean and quiet, with a private little balcony to enjoy the view that postcards are made of.
Rick took the time to walk us around the town and show us numerous locations that we would later visit, such as the Museum of Diego Rivera and the Don Quixote Museum. The breakfasts at Casa Zuniga were beyond expectation. I have never tasted mangos like that. He was also kind enough to talk with me about food and nutrition in relation to a recent illness.
You couldn't pick a better location. A 5 minute walk down the stairs lets you out at the Theatre and the Jardin, the heart of Guanajuato, or a quick ride on the funicular next door gives you a few minutes to enjoy the breathtaking view of the colorful city.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and will hopefully stay there again.
Thank you Rick. We look forward to meeting Carmen on our next trip.
P.S....I made the breakfast burrito when we got home. Yum!
Lisa and David Kelly
France

The most welcoming, big-hearted and generous hosts!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member greatdanetoronto

We loved Casa Zuniga from the minute we arrived and were met by Rick at the monument at the top of the mountain. Casa Zuniga is Rick and Carmen's dream and vision. They are truly the most welcoming hosts I have ever experienced.

The view from the top is just beautiful and we felt lucky to be in a quiet location well above all of the noise in the centre of town. Very peaceful just relaxing on one of their lovely patios overlooking the whole city.

Breakfasts are wonderful and healthy. Rick loves cooking and is truly the perfect host. His wife Carmen is a lovely and kind woman who herself is an incredible cook.

It's truly amazing to witness how they have built this beautiful home out of the rock at the top of the mountain. Rick doesn't believe in saying "it can't be done". He is truly a genius.

I happened to be very sick with a respiratory infection while staying with them. No one could have been kinder and more helpful than Rick and Carmen. They care about their guests in such a sincere and loving way.

We were in Mexico for 10 days and our 3 days with them were our best. We left with great memories with the feeling that we had made new friends.

We would go back and stay with them in a heartbeat!

Views/Architecture/Food/Friendliness

by TripAdvisor Member Ricardo55

A visit to Guanajuato is a must if you are in this part of Mexico. If you wish to stay in the place that gives you the best views of the city, that gives you an opportunity to stay where building design is a work-in-progress with many surprises, that gives you a chance to enjoy indigenous healthy food if that's your choice and that certainly allows you to make new friends in the form of innkeepers Carmen the consummate gracious Mexican woman and Rick the frenetic and talented Gringo who seems to thrive on making your stay the best it can be then Casa Zuniga is the place to stay!

Home away from home -- B&B/Host & Hostess par excellence

by TripAdvisor Member LadyLively

What a stroke of good fortune it was to find Casa Zuniga! A friend and I stayed 7 nights at this exceptional casa, and we were treated as if we were family. The day after I emailed Rick, he promptly telephoned me and told me a room was available, and gave me the whole scoop on how to get from the airport to his house. He even estimated the time it would take, and said he’d meet us at El Pipila, a vantage point in the city, around 8am. We were a little late, and were accosted by several vendors in the plaza trying to sell us everything from tours to souvenirs. I politely declined, and asked if anyone knew where Casa Zuniga was! Well, everyone knew him, and one would be tour guide ran off down the steps to find “Senor Rick”, who rescued us a couple of minutes later. “You’re just in time for breakfast”, says Rick. He held one suitcase on his shoulder, and the other in his hand, and literally ran down the stairs to the entrance of his house, while I huffed and puffed all the way down. What incredible energy Rick has!
We met Rick’s wife, Carmen, and both of them welcomed us in. From the minute we stepped into their beautiful home, we were totally pampered and spoiled. Rick and Carmen together have created a beautiful multi-level home hugging the hillside, with a fabulous view of the city of Guanajuato, the best view in town! Transportation was easy, taxis, buses and the funicular were around the corner, or walking down to El Jardin and the heart of the city took about 15 minutes.
The breakfasts were gargantuan, fresh, healthy, and beautifully prepared to please the eye and palate. Just beware, because they try to feed you constantly!! After our first breakfast, Rick took time out of his day to take us on a tour of the city center, and explain the history of the area.
I have traveled all over the world and stayed in all types of accommodations…Casa Zuniga was outstanding! I had horrible cramps in my feet and legs at the end of the first day, and they made sure I had medicine to remedy the problem. Rick and Carmen are a wonderful couple, with the ability to take strangers into their home, make them feel like they belong, and make the strangers their friends. Their hospitality, service, attention to detail, accommodation of special food preferences, information of the area, and helpfulness to take care of every need is impeccable. Pick Casa Zuniga for a most memorable and relaxing stay, you will not be disappointed. Thank you Rick and Carmen for such a wonderful holiday!

A peaceful home in Guanajuato

by TripAdvisor Member ThimbleRigger

My 11-year-old son and I stayed with Rick and Carmen in April 2009. All the wonderful things mentioned by other reviewers are true: their breakfasts are fantastic (ham and chard tamales, strawberry pancakes, gorgeous omelettes and fried potatoes, tons of fresh mangoes and melon, great coffee), the house is lovely and conveniently located (literally next door to the Funicular, the best way to get to the action in Guanajuato), and Rick and Carmen themselves try to anticipate all of their guests' needs. They are lovely people.

Perhaps our favorite memories of Casa Zuniga, however, will be the many hours we spent on Rick and Carmen's patio. Bird-watching, star-gazing, reading, playing Scrabble, absorbing the view, drawing, and just hanging out....at the end of a tiring day in the city, their patio is the best place I can think of to relax in Guanajuato. I wish I was there right now!

An Experience in Guanajuato, a Beautiful Place to Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member donandmar

Upon arrival Rick was there to meet us at the Pipilla. What an amazing, talented and genius man!! He was very helpful taking us on a walking tour of the city in the morning. The bed and breakfast was beyond our expectations, like staying in a luxury hotel. Carmen, the lovely and cordial hostess was lovely. Aside from being beautiful, she was so soft and easy to speak to. We miss you Carmen. The rooms were spacious with beautiful bathrooms and separate relaxing quarters, not to mention the beautiful view from the patio. The meals were awesome - something you won't find in a restaurant. My girlfriend had special meal requests and they were met (no dairy or meat). Our hostesses provided us with the best tasting breakfasts one could ask for. If you are looking for the best in Guanajuato you won't be disappointed with Casa Zuniga. We hope to return soon to visit our "new found friends" in a most beautiful and interesting city. Thanks Carmen and Rick.

Where our dreams of a fabulous vacation came true!

by TripAdvisor Member mph611

When my husband and I decided to travel to Guanajuato, I chose Casa Zuniga, owned by Rick and Carmen, because of all the reviews I had read. Much to our delight, every positive comment about this B & B was completely accurate! As soon as our taxi pulled up to Monumento al Pipila, we heard a friendly voice ask, "Steve, Marie?" Rick was there to greet us with warm handshakes (and a big hug for me!). As soon as we stowed our luggage in our room we were introduced to Carmen, who sweetly welcomed us to their home. Rick then very graciously and informatively guided us through the charming and fascinating city of Guanajuato. We were very amazed that he would take the time (about 4-5 hours!) to show us all the wonderful sights--not just the tourist attractions, but the local scenes as well. It was the most fantastic beginning of a vacation we have ever had!
Now for some specifics: our room was spotless, spacious, and attractively furnished. The king size bed was made by a local metal-worker. We had our own balcony, and every morning I would have my coffee there while watching the sun rise over the mountains, and in the evenings, I would have a cup of tea as I gazed down the twinkling lights of the city below. The entire house fascinated both my husband and myself. It is an architectural delight, beautifully decorated and filled with arches, angles, exposed brick, painted concrete, staircases, and private balconies. The food was delicious, creative, and plentiful. Fresh fruit was always available--the best mangoes ever! We were allowed to wander all over the house and enjoy any part of it we chose. Rick is in the process of enlarging this beautiful house, and he welcomed Steve's interest in the work being done. (Every day, Steve would visit the workers and watch the progress being made.) None of the work bothered us or interfered with our stay.
Rick and Carmen made every aspect of our visit perfect. We stayed for 2 nights, left to stay in San Miguel for 3 nights, and returned for 2 more nights. When we returned, we were met by Carmen who said, "Welcome home!" This was exactly how we felt--that we were indeed returning "home"! When we picked Casa Zuniga, we were hoping for a decent place to stay. Little did we know that we would find so much more: a beautiful house owned by a wonderful and thoughtful couple that we will always think of as friends! We've been back home for a month, and not one day goes by that we don't talk about and miss our Guanajuato friends! Gracias Rick and Carmen!!!

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member guyute999

This b&b was pretty fantastic. Rick and Carmen were amazing hosts, providing tips on the area, a card for the funicular, and a great breakfast that took into consideration the fact that we are vegetarians. The room was very large and clean. Like most b&bs no tv, but who needs one in this town? Our room did have a private bathroom that was behind a wall, but had no door. Initially we found this odd, but it was not really a problem. If you think you might have an issue with this you might want to ask about the room you are getting as others have a seperate bathroom. If we go to Guanajuato again, we will definitely stay here. While it is away from the noisy downtown(great for sleeping), you can be down there in minutes with the funicular just steps away.The ONLY drawback was the fact that it was initially a bit difficult to find, but that couple of minutes of confusion was very minor.

Where high energy meets chill

by TripAdvisor Member Dahlia10

If you like high energy types, Rick is your man. If you like soft spoken and mellow, Carmen is your woman. Rick is American born and bred and Carmen is from Guanajuato and has spent many years in the states. Together they strike the perfect balance.

When we exited our taxi, Rick was there to greet us, even though I hadn't said when we were arriving. I'm still not sure how he did that. He immediately took us on a brisk walking tour of the city and guided us to a fabulous, very affordable restaurant.

The B&B is still a work in progress, with Rick doing much of the work himself, but there is no construction noise to worry about. Our room was big and wonderful with our own bath.

As for the food, I can't say enough. The meals were some of the best I have ever eaten and they were tailor made for the individual. For me, a potato crusted pizza with ham, veggies and cheese one morning and chile rellanos the next. For my vegetarian partner, it was a designer potato crusted pizza with all the things he can eat one morning and a lentil oatmeal with a side of roasted nopal cactus salad with veggies and tortillas, cooked just for him, the following morning.

If you like high energy and attentiveness, this is the place for you.

convent of Melladoconvent of Mellado

Plazuela de Los ángelesPlazuela de Los ángeles

Another entranceAnother entrance

Pedestrian friendly cityPedestrian friendly city

Language Schools and Accomodations for 2 months

by SUZETTERC2001

My soon to be husband and I will be going to Guanajuato for business. We will be there for approx. 2 months. I want to take a beginners class in spanish. He already speaks fluent spanish. We need reasonably nice accomodations for two months while there as well as a highly recommended school. Please let me know if you can help in anyway.
Thanks!

by Maurizioago

have a look at; "www.donquijote.org".

RE: RE: Language Schools and Accomodations for 2 months

by SUZETTERC2001

Thank you - I actually have been looking at that school along with one other - not sure which to go with.
Thanks!
S

by forefun2006

You might look at this language school www.escuelamexican.com

by coldbear

Don't know if this is too late for you but recently returned from GTO where I did Spanish Immersion classes at academia falcon which I highly recommend. They also can arrange for accommodations with a host family, or I'm sure you could find a short term rental.

It's a great place to visit.

Re: Language Schools and Accomodations for 2 months

by gtomex

Look on BedAndBreakfast.com or vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owners) for a large selection of possible accommodations that are outside the normal hotel scene.
Bon Voyage. gtomex