Fiesta Inn Leon

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Guanajuato

San Renovato DamSan Renovato Dam

The view of the cityThe view of the city

Near the BasílicaNear the Basílica

Inside the TempleInside the Temple

How long buy bus from Guanajuato to Zacatecas?

by oslocairo

Hi! I am considering a day trip to Zacatecas by bus from Guanajuato. How long does it take? Does the bus leave early enough in the morning and late enough in the evening so I could have most of the day to visit Zacatecas? Thanks.

by osoeno

One thing about Guanajuato is that sometimes you have to take a local bus to a bigger bus station to get to where you want to go. For Zacatecas you need to go to Leon, about an hour, and from there its about 4 hours to Zacatecas. I imagine that the busses between Leon and Zacatecas are available at all hours, but you need to be careful about the return leg from Leon to Guanajuato.

There are several nice inexpensive hostels in Zacatecas.

Thanks again Osoeno.

This means a 5 hour ride more or less each way, which sounds a little too much for a day trip. That is to bad because I would love to see Zacatecas.

by oslocairo

I wonder if the buses leave early in the morning and also leave late at night.

by osoeno

Im sure there will be early busses to Leon and from there to Zacatecas, and there will be late busses from Zacatecas to Leon, the problem will be from Leon to Guanajuato at night, but it might not be a problem, check at the ticket counter when you get to Guanajuato.

by oslocairo

Thanks again. It would be great to see Zacatecas, but if it is too much, I am feeling good about spending more time in Guadalajara.

Travel Tips for Guanajuato

Dont use mexexperience website

by m1nkey

I was very displeased with the mexexperience website we used for our reservation and Ill tell you why. 1 we paid $53 dollars in fees to the website for an automated reservation system. 2 When i was making the reservation I asked for the ROOM ONLY option. ANd when we checked in I found that they had charged me for room and breakfast everyday. A difference of $15 a day. ( I paid $80 for the room when I could have paid $65) And lastly 3. I was taken ill a few days before the trip and we wanted to reschedule but the website, not the hotel, had a no refund cancellation policy. I will not use that site again.

In the heart of the centre,...

by Ronald_T

In the heart of the centre, you find the picturesque Union Garden. Together with the Juarez Theatre (see “must see activities”), The Church of San Diego (see further) they form one of the most appealing spots in the city. They are the heart of the city, its most important meeting place, beneath the carefully pruned, picturesque Indian laurel trees of the Jardín de la Unión, the triangular garden that was once the church’s forecourt. In 1883, the iron benches installed and the bandstand erected, where today concerts are held periodically.

Around the park

by pencho15

Just for completing my previous tip I am going to add some more images, in particular those near the Presa de San Renovato where some statues of a cocodrile and a serpent had been added inside the gardens, I remember somebody told me a story about why did they choose those animals but I don't really remember it, if I find out about it someday I'll update my tip.
Near the park there are some other off the beaten path attractions, but I think the best way to go is simply walk the zone wich has an architecture a little bit different from the one at downtown, during the XIX century the rich families of the city lived on this area so you can see some houses that date back to that century. The most noted is the house of Juventino Rosas, a famous mexican composer from that time wich is noted enough to have a city with his name in other zone of the state.
Further down you can find the legislative palace were if you ask for permission you may walk in to see the architecture and paintings that adorn it and further down (probably not on a walking distance) the church of San Sebastian, a colonial church famous due to the fact that it was the resting place of the heads of the independence rebels when they were finally removed from the corners of the alhondiga after years of exhibition, it was being restored when I was there so we couldn't really see it.
Since the park and the dams are outside the downtown the best choice to get there is by taxi, if you have enough budget ask him to take you there through the panoramic highway.

Callejon del beso

by jungles

Callejon del beso means the alleyway of the kiss. It is so called because the lane is so narrow, and thus the buildings on each side so close together, that it's possible for two neighbours to lean out of their windows and kiss from across the street. Of course this has spawned many legends of star-crossed lovers, which you will undoubtedly hear if you join a callejoneada (see my callejoneada tip).

Don Quijote

by Vikingvicki

A quaint little 2 story museum with only Don Quijote images - of EVERY kind.
( Check out the room whih is totally painted, floor to ceiling.)

I enjoyed it, did you know Cuba issued a stamp with the man on it ?

20pesos entrance