Guesthouse del Truco

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Guanajuato

my family waiting and the bottom of the lighthousemy family waiting and the bottom of the lighthouse

The Callejoneada beginsThe Callejoneada begins

El Pípila statueEl Pípila statue

Inside the BasílicaInside the Basílica

Still Safe in Guanajuato?

by Phx_guy

I'm planning a return trip to Guanajuato and am wondering if the situation has changed there? I was there last summer and it seemed pretty unthreatening but the news is giving me second thoughts about the whole country. Anybody have recent experience in Guanajuato?

by osoeno

I dont have an answer, but I second the question. Guanajuto, San Miguel, Mexico City- About the same or is there more tension?

by cindi5775

Hi Phx guy,

My husband and I live in Guanajuato (the city) and have for the past six years. It is pretty quiet here in town...nothing really out of the ordinary. There has been a bit of violence outside of León on the way to Jalisco State, but not in an area where tourists frequent.

We were just in San Miguel de Allende last weekend. We didn't notice any tension or any unusual activity there. However, there were two incidences reported in "Atención San Miguel" (the weekly English-language newspaper).

One woman was mugged and hurt while walking in the vicinity of Instituto Allende around 4:15 in the afternoon. She was walking alone.

A man was parking his car in one of the parking lots downtown around 8 p.m. one evening. When he got out of the car, a young man confronted him with a gun and told him (in English) to give him the car keys, which the car owner did. The thief took the car and the car owner reported the incident to the police. The police set up roadblocks and were able to recover the car and arrest the thief.

These types of crimes have not happened in Guanajuato (the city), at least not that I have heard or read about in the Guanajuato newspaper (Correo).

"Correo" is online (in Spanish), so it might be a good idea to read it every day until your trip. Another online newspaper (in English) is "The News" (thenews.com.mx).

If you are going to San Miguel de Allende, you can read "Atención San Miguel" online (http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/) to keep informed of any developments there.

Hope you have a great trip!

Cindi

by conklinwh

We live in the small town of Mineral de Pozos and travel pretty extensively throughout the state of Guanajuato including San Miguel and Guanajuato. We have never felt threatened and I feel much safer there than in most US large cities. As with any place, you do need be aware of your surroundings and take reasonable precautions. Typically what crime there exits is non-violent thefts. There is some concern that the large amount of locals returning from the US will bring with them an increased propensity of violence.
Even the swine flu pretty much spared the area. There was a great story about a Mexican family that left Mexico city, primarily out of boredom, and went to San Miguel. The wife said that she rarely saw even a face mask till she spoke and they heard her Mexico City accent.

Travel Tips for Guanajuato

Yes, this is a picture taken...

by Ronald_T

Yes, this is a picture taken in Leon, although, this page has nothing to do with Leon ;-) Sorry as I have to use Leon as my Guanajuato page, but Guanajuato is not in the VT-list yet. Very strange, as you know that Guanajuato is the Capital City of the State of Guanajuato. As we see the list of U.S. even the most stupid places are on the VT-list. Sometimes places I am not sure about people live there ;-) Nevertheless, Leon is a brand new commercial city where in fact nothing is to see. However, they are famous for their leather boots and they export a lot to the U.S. Maybe that is why the city is on the VT-list. Now, when the new VT is coming up, Guanajuato will be on the list as well. In the mean time, I will place my Guanajuato page here. Later I will change it and put the few pictures I have (it is not possible to take pictures from a place where is nothing to see) from Leon here on this page. Thanks for your understanding…

Not as warm as you´d think!

by cybercutie

I went here in January, and it was pretty cold in the evenings. I had to buy a couple of pants and even some sweaters while I was there...I suggest if you are going in the winter months, be prepared!!!

I see dead people

by chauncenetta

This gives you some feeling for the Mexicans' acceptance and respect for the ultimate: Death. Their regard for the macabre and surreal, woven into their culture as a normal experience, as it is, romanticized and even celebrated.

Pipila at sunrise

by aaronrd2104

I know the guidebook says that the view from Pipila is breathtaking at sunset, but I went at sunrise. It was absolutely spellbinding, and we were the only ones up there! We had the whole place to ourselves to watch Guanajuato come alive in the morning!!!

Diego Rivera House

by jonbarb709

This is Museum of Diego Rivera, the house were he was born. Paintings from 1920-1956. The house was restored and converted to this museum There is also some work by Frida Kahlo's work. This is a small entrance fee. There are two floors to this museum and there are some excellent paintings of his early work.

Comments