Best Western Hotel Monteverde

Volanteros No 2, Zona Centro, San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 37700, Mexico
BEST WESTERN Hotel Monteverde Express
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 24% less but rated 25% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about San Miguel de Allende

Reyes with the family at the Mexico City AirportReyes with the family at the Mexico City Airport

Panoramic View from El MiradorPanoramic View from El Mirador

San Miguel de Allende, GuanajuatoSan Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato

Aldama streetAldama street

Limit on personal property on a tourist visa

by gabrielheiser

I will be driving down to San Miguel de Allende in a couple months. I have been dismayed by the very limited list of articles a person entering with an FMT may bring with them into Mexico! I will be down there for 3-6 months and would like to bring a few pieces of electronic equipment, more than 5 CDs(!), etc. How can I get advanced approval for these items so I don't run into customs trouble at the border? Thanks!

by pedroebc

YOU NEED TO TRAMIT THE INVESTOR VISUM

PEDRO

by gomexico

Whatever you have that's over the limit, you pay a duty on. I don't see much checking for numbers of CD's, however - so unless you're transporting a hundred of them . . . I don't think you should worry about it. And what type of "electronic equipment" do you want to travel with? I'm assuming it's small and lightweight - or it'll be a hassle and you'll face the threat of ripping it off from you. But since you're driving down, I don't think Mexican Immigration/Customs does a thorough check on all vehicles. Problems arise when someone's traveling with stuff that's new and/or it looks like they're going to sell it in Mexico. Your concern for getting into Mexico with the stuff should also be present when you plan to return to the USA, where agents may suspect you've purchased the stuff in Mexico and they could ask you to pay a duty; it's unlikely - but a possibility nonetheless.

by gabrielheiser

Actually, I'm not concerned about coming BACK into the U.S. I found out you simply need to fill out a CBP Form 4457 (available online), on which you list all the items you're taking to Mexico, and the US Customs agent will inspect the items and sign the list. Then when you get back from your trip, just show the US customs agents the signed form and anything on the list is safe to bring back, duty free.

Travel Tips for San Miguel de Allende

Blue Skies and Unique Homes await you

by Royal63

I would take someone to the Jardin Principal (main square) so they could see and hear what is going on. Then we would go shopping! I love the color of green, and there is a very pretty stone from Mexico. I think it is called Malakai. I also enjoyed the Mexican food. I thought it would be too spicy, but it is very good. The thing I enjoyed most about San Miguel de Allende were the people. The historic monuments, buildings, homes and surroundings were very nice, but the people make the city unique and special. I met with older Gringos (Americans) that sold everything and moved to SMA to live on forever. I understand why. Mexicans are one BIG happy family. They always have time for each other and have time to meet new friends, and continue on friendships with old friends.

emphasize fresh seafood

by mollynsteve about El Campanario

March 2007 visit. The waiter showed us a variety of fresh fish, shrimp, langostinos, lobster and even frogs legs, then let us pick the preps. All nicely done; one of the best Veracruzana fish we've had. Great service, a non-smoking section, not always easy to find in Mexico. Without wine and drinks not so expensive. fish Veracruzana

The hero gets a parade

by karenincalifornia

If you are planning a trip to San Miguel de Allende, try to be here on January 21.

On January 21, San Miguelenses remember the founder of their city, celebrating the birthday of Ignacio Allende with parades.

Colonial charm, relaxed atmosphere

by VdV

"Four days in San Miguel de Allende & environs"

My mom and I spent 5 days/4 nights in San Miguel de Allende.

Our itinerary was:
Day 1: arrive in MEX at 6:30pm; 3-hr drive to San Miguel de Allende via private driver
Day 2: Explore historic center via foot, checking out the Artisan's Marketplace, the various churches and plazas, the indoor Mercado, hang out in the Plaza Principal and watch life go by...In the afternoon we took a half-day tour to Dolores Hidalgo and Antotonilco, visiting artisans (tile makers, pottery makers, rugweavers), old churches and ate at a famous carnitas restaurant (see Restaurant Tips.)
Day 3: Day tour to Guanajuato, the state's capital city, and a wonderful university-town atmosphere. I loved this city and hope to return; lots of historical/cultural sites and offerings. Highly recommend a visit!

Day 4: Relaxed on our last full day in SMA, hung out in the Plaza Principal and then took the 1.5 trolley bus that circles around the city for one last, long view. Had Chinese food (my mom always wants to eat Chinese food in any country she travels in) and found an Internet cafe to write home...In the evening, our hotel, Casa Quetzal, provided us with a special dinner at sunset complete with private mariachi musicians!
Day 5: Enjoyed our last sumptuous breakfast and were driven to Mexico City (where we stayed for 4 days/3 nights) before returning home.

SANMIGUELADA

by jorgeparada

There are 2 seasons to visit San Miguel de Allende, the 3rd Weekend of September and the rest of the year. The reason is that week there is a traditional party named Sanmiguelada, where a lot of people of the country come there to party and drink, in those days drink in the street is permitted, so you can enjoy the party all over the town. The rest of ther year you can go San Miguel to visit all the Mexican History Placed the town offer, San Miguel is in the area where the Mexican Independence began, so museums, houses and historic spots can been visited by tourists.

Comments