4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Hospicio #35, San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 37700, Mexico

Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Stay in a colonial mansion

Casa de Sierra Nevada captures the essence of Colonial Mexico. The hotel is located near the town center. The rooms are located in several 16th century restored mansions.

Unique Quality: We had a medium sized room with a sitting area and roof top garden terrace. The room was decorated with great care. The view from the roof was lovely.

The common areas of the hotel are full of gardens, arches and terra cotta tiles. The restaurant at the hotel is first class. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely stay here again.

More about Casa de Sierra Nevada

Casa DE Sierra Nevada on the mark

by TripAdvisor Member dazzleVancouver

I wanted to take this opportunity to make special note of a truly spectacular spot. Prior to this trip to San Miguel, my husband and I had always targeted the Mexican Coastal areas. Going forward this will definately not be the case. If you haven't been to San Miguel De Allende - it's a must. If you like culture, art, music and genuine hospitatlity you won't believe how wonderful this beautiful mountain town really is. I felt like I had visited Mexico for the first time. Adding to our great enjoyment was the hotel we stayed at. Casa De Sierra Nevada is within walking distance of the main square and is absolutely devine. Apparently they had just renovated the restaurant and bar. Both are spectacular. I personally would add more artwork. There are so many fabulous artist in the community it's a shame not to see more of their work. I can't say enough about the food and the wonderful service. At every turn one of the staff was there to assist, suggest or help with anything and everything. Kudos to the management and staff for loving what they do and doing it so very well. We will definately be back...with many friends in tow.

Proof that hotel food can be great

by karenincalifornia about Casa de Sierra Nevada

We ate dinner one night at our hotel, Casa de Sierra Nevada. The cuisine is international and the food was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant for more formal dining.

The restaurant has both a beautiful indoor dining room and a charming courtyard/patio. One dish that particularly stands out is a superb cream of garlic and onion soup. In fact, it was so good, I asked the chef for the recipe 4 times. Each time he said "Come back in __ (2, 4, 12 hours, tomorrow, fill in the blank) and I will have it for you." Each time I came back, it wasn't ready for me. Finally, when we checked out, the chef took my address and said he would mail it.

We are still waiting.

Memorable Time at Casa Sierra Nevada

by TripAdvisor Member sallymaeCalifornia

We just returned from 12 fabulous days at Casa Sierra Nevada in San Miguel de Allende. Our room was lovely and while it was not particularly large it did have sufficient storage space for all our belongings. We were especially delighted that our request for a balcony was honored.

The staff was extremely attentive from Consuelo who kept our room spotless and sparkling to Dali who confirmed our ride and flight reservations to the night clerk who was exceeding helpful and immediately made us feel welcome despite the late hour of our arrival. I especially want to acknowledge Hannah Maldonado who made the greatest contribution to our having such a memorable time. Her manner is impeccable—always gracious and professional. Our memorable dining experience was entirely due to the wonderful recommendations she made, taking extra time to talk with us about the different cuisines and restaurants. Whenever we had a question or required assistance, Hannah was there for us.

We were sorry that the spa was still under construction and look forward to enjoying it on our next visit.

Lastly, I want to acknowledge the excellent food and great service at your restaurant located in the park.

Pilar Manjarrez

Beyond Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member jorge_salgor

We organized our 2006 sales meeting in this hotel last November. Our experience was beyond expectations. What a fabulous cuisine! The service is amazing and the new rooms are spectacular, with Mexican colonial sense in combination with the unique touch of Orient-Express.

The room in which we held our meetings is very good also. I strongly recommend this hotel for any occasion.

As well as the Hotel, San Miguel de Allende is one of the most wonderful places in Mexico.

Congratulations Casa de Sierra Nevada!

Jorge Sales
General Manager of Sales Internacional
Mexico City

Lovely Hotel/Exceptional Staff

by TripAdvisor Member abcp

I just returned from my trip to San Miguel. I stayed at the Casa de Sierra Nevada, and this hotel is lovely. The rooms surround a beautiful courtyard, each section with its own attendants. Gustavo and Consuelo met our every need with a smile and accomodating service, while Ana kept our room exceptionally clean. The staff is just charming. I celebrated my birthday while there, and these three each brought me flowers and gifts! You will love this hotel--beautiful, clean, and excellent service.

Most Memorable Stay...

by TripAdvisor Member LowlySpain

From the moment I arrived at beautiful San Miguel Allende in the early hours of the morning, after a gruelling flight from Europe, relief, happiness and sheer awe were some of my first emotions on seeing the beautiful Casa Parque of the Casa de Sierra Nevada.

Casa Sierra de Nevada is a unique and wonderful experience. Guest rooms are spread out among the town in different " casitas". It gives you the feeling of being in your own private colonial house with full almost butler service at hand.

The staff were welcoming, smiling and only to eager to communicate and serve in a way that I would expect from Orient Express Hotels.

The authentic dishes created by their wonderful chef were sheer " Mexico " washed down by many a Margarita.

Our suite was very comfortable, airey and the decor perfectly Mexican - emphasis on the rustic and authentic look of San Miguel.

A wonderful touch are the electric golf carts that may be requested to ferry you from one casita to the next or maybe down to the town if one should be fatigued from walking.

Our stay here was the perfect start to our ambition to discover colonial Mexico.

Many visitors I think come to San Miguel wishing to experience the old time "pueblo" with its simple life and messages BUT also expect a first class accommodation and service. Orient Express and Casa Sierra de Nevada certainly have nailed it in my book.

I will certainly be returning to stay in San Miguel for vacation and will certainly be choosing Casa Sierra de Nevada.

a lovely place

by TripAdvisor Member thibautasso

what a lovely place,

I was staying at Casa Sierra Nevada from september 23rd to October 5th and it was such a wonderful experience. what a lovely place... several little building, you feel like you are home, two restaurant with difference ambiance: the mexican Parque and the more modern Andanza.

just go by andanza and ask for a screaming lizard shooter by Pablo or by the andanza restaurant to taste the Venisson from chef Gonzalo Martinez. Enjoy the lunch at Parques after a walk in the park close to. ricardo will be more than happy to suggest you so mexican speciality.

I cannot wait to be back and see the new Casa Lemon.

regards
thibaut

finely detailed in an ideal location

by TripAdvisor Member ljlSanFrancisco_Ca

We spent 3 nights at Casa Sierra Nevada in early January.

The hotel feels very freshly refurbished, and every little detail from the landscaping to the lampshades has been attended to -- they've done a beautiful job of restoring the old wood, iron, tile, etc., and updating it with luxe finishes. We stayed in #444/Casa Limon, just above the pool, with a private patio, jacuzzi, and views over the rooftops of the cathedral(s). We were very happy with the room - spacious, with stylish, comfortable, oversized furnishings. Although I believe it may have been designated a "premium suite," #444 was set up as one large room with a sleeping area (big wooden king bed, nighstands, armoir with flat screen tv), a seating area (desk, small sofa, chair, coffee table, fireplace, another flat screen tv), and a large adjoining bathroom and dressing area. Like all other areas of the hotel, our room was immaculately clean.

Our location just a few blocks from the central plaza was perfect for exploring San Miguel on foot. We're city people, so we didn't mind hearing some night time street noise/firecrackers .

We took regular advantage of the library/computer room, and enjoyed lunch/drinks at Andanza and dinner at the hotel's Mexican restaurant at Casa Parque down the street. (The Casa Parque building is about a 7-minute walk further from the center of town, but not too far.)

We kept mostly to ourselves, and didn't use the butler's services or the concierge. We did ask the front desk two days in a row for a copy of the book/binder that can usually be found in the room, that details the hotel services, menus, features, etc. We were told twice it would be left in our room, but it never appeared -- maybe they haven't got one. A pretty small issue, and our only complaint.

We'd definitely stay here again if we were to return to San Miguel.

Nice, but personnel needs more training...

by TripAdvisor Member gussito

Currently staying at the hotel and wanted to make an objective review. The rooms are very nice, if a bit sober and some details in need of repair. The concierge service in the house, led by Gustavo and Consuelo were first class. As a result of the remodel the hotel is undergoing we were advised in advance, when making reservations, that the pool house (Casa Limon) would be closed during our stay but that we would be able to use a pool at a nearby golf club. So far so good.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted to " your room is not ready yet" although after meeting the front desk associate a minute later a room was made available immediately. To our disappointment, the room assigned did not have a terrace. I called the front desk to request one with a terrace and was told that the next day one would be available. Minutes later Gustavo called the front desk and showed us two rooms that were available, one of them with a terrace. We agreed on one and left for lunch. Our belongings were promptly moved to our new room with a beautiful view.

The next day, an unusually rainy day in San Miguel (according to the locals), we felt like breakfast in bed. We called room service but were told that since the restaurant was not close by, we would only be able to order cold items. A inherent lack of planning was evident. In addition, Giselle at the front desk mentioned that we should have received a letter indicating this fact. Given I never received such notice (at reservation time or otherwise) I insisted that they accomodate my request. Giselle spoke to her manager and quickly called back to take my order. Breakfast arrived promptly with Gustavo's apologies for the incident. This set an unpleasant tone for the start of the day.

I asked to speak with the Manager, Mark Rodriguez, but have not heard from him yet. Below is a summary of what my letter to Orient Express will mention.

Front Desk:

DAY Service at the front desk and communication with guests is not up to the Orient Express Hotels standard. No greeting when entering the small "make do" front desk. Dali is the exception to this who was pleasant and offered another guest and me some refreshments. The other young clerks appeared as though they were having coffee and chatting at a gathering instead of being welcoming to guests.

Service in the house: EXCELLENT. Gustavo and Consuelo are superb and make every effort to make guests welcome. Unsolicited coffee and juice at our room prior to breakfast was another nice touch in the mornings.

Another service desk clerk that deserves mention is Octavio. He went out of his way and in an unsolicited manner called the restaurants I had mentioned as possibilties for dinner to insure they were open to make reservations. This is the expectation and previous experience at other Orient Express Hotels.

Management needs to act accordingly and offer full disclosure, and manage expectations while the remodeling of the hotel occurs. Training is lacking on younger clerks and I suspect, or want to believe that the transition from previous ownership is not yet complete. Four Seasons is entering the market and there are plenty of boutique hotels, such as Oasis that are and will be giving this hotel a run for their money (visited and will try on my next visit to San Miguel).

I hope that management takes notice on the small details which can make or break an experience for a guest and are described above.

Alex Mirkin

Casa de Sierra Nevada, San Miguel de Allende, MXCasa de Sierra Nevada, San Miguel de Allende, MX

Comments