La Morada Hotel

More about San Miguel de Allende

My Single RoomMy Single Room

San Miguel's CathedralSan Miguel's Cathedral

Street Scene in San Miguel de AllendeStreet Scene in San Miguel de Allende

Two elderly women in the main plazaTwo elderly women in the main plaza

planning time to visit colonial cities around Guanajuato

Hi!

I am planning a trip where I will stay in a hostel in Guanajuato and will have 9 days of visiting time. Since I am making Guanajuato my home base, I would like to visit other cities near by as day trips.

I know nothing about these places, but realize, at least that some are smaller than others and of course,and perhaps several could be visited in one day, while others would take several days.

Nonetheless, I am on a limited budget and so must return to Guanajuato to sleep. Also, I do not have a car, so would likely take a bus.

With that in mind, What are your recommendations? My thought was the following: Guadalajara ( I know, more than one day, but possibly city center highlights?), Queretaro, Morelia/ Patzuaro, Zacatecas. San Luis Potosi, Aquaclaientes,San Miguel de Allende. I have read that Dolores Hidalgo is very important historically, but architecturally, not of that much interest, but I am not sure.

I assume I will spend 3 days or so seeing Guanajuato as well and can, of course see it in small chunks of time each day as well. I have a lot of energy and don't mind long days, but am I just crazy to try to see all of this in my short time?

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you for any suggestions.

by wanderlustig

We just returned from the State of Guanajuato and have a few suggestions. Try your very best to be in San Miguel de Allende on a Friday or Saturday evening. There is a "light show" on the facade of the Parroquia cathedral that will just blow your mind. "Light show" is not a term that does justice to this breathtaking work of art. The entire face of the church is transformed, frame by frame, into beautiful images of the history of Mexico, all accompanied by music. It is unforgetable. You can take the bus to SMA and you can find a very inexpensive B&B online so that you can spend the night. We also visited Queretaro and found it to be lovely and it's history fascinating. Lunch at the Restaurant 1810 proved to be very delicious and not particularly expensive.

by oslocairo

Thanks Wanderlust. Those are all great suggestions and things I have not heard of yet. Sounds lovely.

by macu8344

When you are in Guanajuato, be sure to visit Valenciana up on the hill above town. It is a breathtaking church, there are funky little shops and a nice place to eat overlooking Guanajuato. I also can't recommend San Miguel enough. Wonderful markets, fabulous restaurants, a lovely botanical garden, hot springs....maybe plan a few days in that area. Don't forget ice cream in Dolores Hidalgo!

by oslocairo

Ice cream? One of my favorite historical sites! Thanks for that tip. I am always charting an ice cream map for my trips as well so that is a pleasant surprise.

I've not heard yet of the Valencia Church,but it sounds lovely, especially being where it is with such a nice vista.

Thanks again.

Travel Tips for San Miguel de Allende

Drive around the outer city limits!

by Royal63

Just take a little drive outside the city limits and you pass by gorgeous homes. Or take a "Home and Garden Tour", and you'll see beautiful homes and gardens. This allows the homeowners to show off their homes.

This picture is someone's home. I just loved those large front doors.

Jardin Principal

by Royal63

This is called the Jardin (pronounced Hardine, like Sardine). It's a beautiful square in the center of town. There are benches all around, where you can sit in the shade to admire the sights and sounds of this wonderful city. On one side is the breathtaking Parroquia Church. Other sides are stores, restaurants, a bank, police station or tourist information. It is also a wonderful place to meet new or old friends.

Travel Notes from San Miguel de Allende

by gdilieto

"Everything but the Essential"

Thanks for visiting my San Miguel de Allende page! Don't forget to leave your footprint!
Go to My Home Page
As passionate and somewhat experienced traveler to Mexico, I am afraid I won't join the excitement about by San Miguel de Allende by many travelers, foreign residents and even Mexican citizens. The reason is quite easy to explain: San Miguel is a delightful Mexican colonial town which has everything but the essential: the atmosphere of a Mexican colonial town.

There are some 12,000 foreign residents in San Miguel's urban area or 15% over a population of 60,000. Granted many of those foreigners have their homes and live in or around the city center, it ends up that some 1 out of 4 residents in the city center is a foreigner, not accounting tourists. Many of those residents, generally wealthy North American and Western European, are retirees enjoying the mild climate and the slow pace of life, others run tourist establishments, some others just have chosen to live here for their own reasons. The result is that walking around you will find beautifully-restored colonial homes with SUVs parked in the front, fine restaurants, trendy bars, fashion boutiques, art and jewelry shops and luxury hotels with "first class spa facility with state of the art Cybex weight room".

I am sure San Miguel de Allende is a great place to retire, enjoy life and for relaxing luxury vacations. If you are after a taste of Mexican life in the rightly renowned colonial Central Mexico, head elsewhere (for instance Guanajuato) instead. See also my Photogallery of San Miguel de Allende.

"The Center of American Expatriation"

Famous worldwide for its mild climate, thermal springs and colonial architecture, San Miguel de Allende has attracted over the last 60 years a large community of foreign residents, especially Americans, who today account for about 70% of the expatriate population. American (US) expatriation started at the end of WWII as education grants to war veterans were stretched at the art school Instituto Allende in San Miguel and many veterans came down here to study art, live cheaply and have a good time. In the counterculture years of the 1960s, San Miguel began its career as a center for American expatriation that has lasted till today. San Miguel has lately been undergoing demographic changes which concern many long time residents, who have protested the number of new developments, shopping malls and other overwhelming commercial businesses.

"The Gingerbread Gothic"

The multicultural spirit of San Miguel de Allende is well represented by its major landmark, the parish church la Paroquia, whose architecture is so different from the dominant Baroque usually found in churches throughout Mexico that will leave you fascinated or disappointed. The style is a kind of Gothic, the funniest definition I found is "Gingerbread Gothic" and the closest thing I could pair it to is the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Legend has it that the architect of the fa├žade and the towers (added in 1888 to the existing structure) had never seen a gothic church and took his ideas from picture postcards of gothic cathedrals in Europe, sketching his ideas on the sand to instruct construction workmen with what he had envisioned.

My first trip to Mexico! An incredible journey!

"Watch your step!"

San Miguel de Allende is a grand old colonial city, situated in the center of Mexico, in the state of Guanajuato. 145,000 people call this city their home. Don't be surprised if you see gringos (an American). It is becoming a popular retirement home for us Americans. Part of my family just bought a home there this month.
The great part about San Miguel is the archeological monuments that still stand. The majority were constructed between 900 and 1100 AD.
.As you walk around San Miguel de Allende, make sure you watch where you walk since the road & stones are uneven. Also wear comfortable walking shoes. Often you are so busy looking around that you don't pay attention to the road, or traffic. It's an awesome city to see. You never know what buildings are around the corner.

I recently returned from San Miguel, Dec. 18-27, 2004. I will be returning May 10-17, 2005. Would love to meet anyone that lives in the area!

"The plane"

This is the plane that flew me out of California, into BJX- Leon airport. Here we are getting back on the plane after a brief stop in Zacatecas to pick up more passengers. They also checked our passports.
You also have another option of flying into Mexico City, but you would need to take a 4 hour bus/shuttle ride to SMA.

There are also other options. Mexicana is a red eye flight, so you get to Leon faster, but we are taking day flights from now on.

"A familiar site in San Miguel de Allende"

I am not sure of the name of this church or temple. It is located on Canal street, about a block away from the Jardin Principal. Almost every street you walk or drive down, you will most likely spot an old building, church or monument. It's breathtaking. You will never be bored here.

Comments