Santo Domingo 75, Col. Los Arcos, San Miguel de Allende, 37740, Mexico
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about San Miguel de Allende

My love & I at the inner patioMy love & I at the inner patio

Baroque facade of Templo de San FranciscoBaroque facade of Templo de San Francisco

A typical street in San MiguelA typical street in San Miguel

More Vegetables in the MarketMore Vegetables in the Market

Which airport to fly into

by doogienj

Greetings,

We'll be visiting SMA around Thanksgiving. I know the best seems to be to fly into Leon or Queretaro and the drives are 1 1/2 and 1 hours respectively. I do want to avoid Mexico City but see some good fare to Guadalajara. Does anyone know how far that is and how long it would take from there to SMA?

Cheers,

Douglas

by Reynald

There is not a direct service from Guadalajara Airport and SMA, you need to move to the BUS Station in Guadalajara and then take a BUS to SMA, from the bus station in GDL to SMA is just 5 hrs travel time in ETN (luxe service 9.00 am,11.00 am or 15.00 pm)
If you take a 1st class bus like (Primera Plus) is probably more time because it make more stops (Leon, Guanajuato or other cities).

The problem arriving to Queretaro is the price, better fly to Mexico City and take a bus to Queretaro (3 hrs) and from there to SMA (1 hr).

Leon is a good option.

by doogienj

Thanks! I forgot to mention, that we'll be renting a car regardless of which airport we'll fly into.

Douglas

by Reynald

Ouuuppss i didnt read :P
If you drive then SKIP Mexico City is a nigthmare... and still think Leon is a better option, you just need to take the TOLL road to Queretaro, and in Celaya city (45 min from the airport) divert to San Miguel and yes the driving time is like 1 1/2 hr.

From Guadalajara add 2+ hr more and need to Travel to Leon - Celaya - San Miguel

If you have time and like to DRIVE... choose Guadalajara, it would be cheaper.

by gomexico

Queretaro, Leon - it's a toss-up. As for the driving in Mexico City issue: if you've driven in a major USA, or European, city before - you'll be well-prepared for Mexico City, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be, IMO. Whichever route you take, consult a road map ahead of time so you're not faced with many surprises when getting from Point A to Point B. Enjoy!

Travel Tips for San Miguel de Allende

The doors of San Miguel de Allende

by karenincalifornia

The doors of San Miguel de Allende are famous and frequently photographed! Walk into a bookstore and you will find books on nothing but the doors of San Miguel!

They are ornate and beautiful. Each one is unique. No two doors are the same.

A Lovely Courtyard Meal

by lareina about Bugambilia

Bugambilia is a beautiful Mexican restaurant near the Jardin. Although the interior is lovely, the courtyard is filled with star-lights and the sounds of live mariachi music. The food is very good as is the service. I enjoyed la sopa azteca, the filete, and also the fajitas.

School children's parade honoring Ignacio Allende

by karenincalifornia

When we visited San Miguel de Allende, we had no idea we had scheduled our vacation to coincide with a major town holiday (January 21). It was not until we saw these school children, in their navy blue and white school uniforms, marching and singing through the street of San Miguel that we realized we were there on an important day.

We asked about the occasion, and we were told the town was celebrating the birthday of Igancio Allende, who led the town to independence from the Spanish Crown in 1810.

Another Side of Mexico

by lareina

I spent six lovely weeks in San Miguel this past October and November. The beautiful Mexican sun shone down on me almost every day and it was hard to believe that I would be under rainy skies if I were home.

I saw quite a few festivals and became accustomed to fireworks going off at any hour of the day or night. I also had some great comida...from cheap tacos at my local stand to exquisite meals at the newest restaurants. The thing I most loved about San Miguel was the colour....so vibrant and rich.

It is true that San Miguel is home to many Americans and Canadians and that the town is quite different compared to the rest of Mexico. Nonetheless I still think that San Miguel has its authenticity and charm, this just means that a traveller has to look a little harder to find the real 'San Miguel'. Venture beyond the areas surrounding the Jardin and explore the barrios, especially San Antonio. Or just relax and enjoy the shops, restaurants, and beautiful colonial architecture in this gem of a Mexican town.

Photo Gallery of San Miguel de Allende

by gdilieto

Go to My San Miguel de Allende Cover Page
Panoramic View of the City - photo taken from El Mirador, a panoramic terrace a five-minute walk uphill from the Main Square (See my Tip on the Subject). In the center of the photo, the gothic parish church la Paroquia, San Miguel top landmark.

San Miguel typical street, with brightly-painted homes lining up up and down the paved roads.

Plaza Allende, San Miguel Main Square, the center of city life, where locals, residents and tourists hangout.

Go to My San Miguel de Allende Cover Page