San Miguel de Allende Hotels

Our Members Say

• UrsulaGuinle profile photo UrsulaGuinle

Posada Francia: A great B&B accommodation in San Miguel de Allende

I stayed 3 days at Posada Francia and loved it. Great location in a quiet street near the Instituto Allende but a few minutes' walk from downtown. My room was large, comfortable and clean and was made everyday like in a hotel but it had a personal touch and flair, with antique pieces of furniture. Good amenities too!

It has a peaceful patio where you can lay down on lounge chairs or sit under the shade of a lemon tree loaded with lemons as big as grapefruits. So nice to be surrounded by flowers and to watch birds and hummingbirds.

The owner of the house serves outstanding breakfast French style (she's French) with homemade yummy jams and really copious too.

Her warm hospitality and helpfulness makes the difference between feeling like a stranger in a new town and a temporary resident!

• Related to: Festivals, Arts and Culture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written August 24, 2013

• SunnyFL96 profile photo SunnyFL96

Puente Viejo Residencial: SMA's Great Condo's

I highly recommend this great condo community with 24 hr security, gym, pool, WiFi, & friendly staff.
There is a fully equiped kitchen, but who wants to cook with all the wonderful food available!
Have breakfast next door at "Crayola" , try the french toast with fruit salsa!! Also, for a change of pace try "Chicago Style" restaurant for some real Chicago food.

The staff could not be more helpful. I forgot the pool was closed on Monday and had invited some family to come for a swim. The management went out of their way to open the pool for us!!
Currently the cost is $900.00 US per month for a one bedroom unit.

• Related to: Festivals, Arts and Culture, Architecture
  • Written May 15, 2011

• 10to20 profile photo 10to20

Casa Schuck: Best Bed/Breakfast in San Miguel

This is, perhaps, one of the best kept secrets in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

They only have 10 rooms and each one is impeccably furnished and uniquely decorated. The courtyard is lush and tropical and there are many little "get away" areas for privacy.

The breakfast is served each morning between 8:30 am and 10:30 am. You may have it in the colonial style dining room or on the lush patio. They have a small pool, more for lounging and relaxing than laps, and don't miss the "happy hour" margaritas by Adolpho!

The staff is warm, accommodating, and will make your trip magical! This was our first experience with San Miguel, but, most certainly, not our last.

The view from the rooftop terrace is the best in town.

Ask for Chuck, one of the owners, and he will take care of you!!

• Written January 19, 2010

• ViajesdelMundo profile photo ViajesdelMundo
  • Reviews: 277

CASA de la 'O': A Retreat Near City Center

I had searched long on the internet to find an affordable, but comfortable place to stay near the city and eventually found what sounded as if would fit the bill and was so happy not to be disappointed!! The owner, Lilia promptly responded to my email to make the reservation and did not even require an advance payment.
Each room is decorated differentlywith original art (Lilia is an artist) and in this beautiful old colonial Mexican hacienda you really get a feel of being in old Mexico, in a lovely garden setting. Great comfortable beds.
Several of the other guests while I was there had stayed previously.
The big breakfasts included fresh juices, plenty of coffee or tea, hot tortillas or toast, jams, eggs cooked to order or pancakes, and varied day to day.
There are several size rooms,with TVs and wireless access, including an upstairs suite which even has a view out to the Cathedral!
The one draw-back is that there is a school around the corner, which when in session begins about 7am and can be noisy; but then, you want to get an early start on the day in this beautiful town.
Lilia is a wealth of knowledge about the area of course.

Beautiful garden setting in which you can sit and read.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Arts and Culture
  • Written July 23, 2009

Inside Garden

• rogarcia profile photo rogarcia

Hotel Posada Carmina: Exlente calidad y tradicion

Mejor ubicacion
Precio
Calidad
Exelente staff

Vistas del centro y parroquia
Casa de 280 años
Patio central

• Related to: Family Travel, Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written July 12, 2009

• cindi5775 profile photo cindi5775
  • Reviews: 11

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Parador San Sebastián de Aparicio: Clean, pleasant budget hotel in the downtown area

This small hotel (25 rooms and 4 apartments) is located a half block from one of San Miguel de Allende's many plazas, is close to the artisan market and open-air market, and is just three blocks from the main plaza.

The hotel has a very pleasant open-air patio complete with plants and flowers, cages of parakeets and several wrought iron umbrella tables with chairs as well as a TV/reading room with comfortable chairs.

The rooms don't have televisions or telephones, but have ceiling fans and fireplaces (we needed the fan, but it was too warm to need the fireplace). There were two closets in our room, though there was only one hanger. The rooms are spotlessly clean and good-sized. The beds are very firm, but comfortable. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the shower. Bottled water was provided.

Though our room was right off the patio and passageway on the ground floor, it was very quiet, especially when we closed the wooden shutters over the window.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

This is a budget hotel, so there is no pool, business center, spa, fitness center or restaurant.

I would recommend this hotel to others who are traveling on a budget and who want a clean, comfortable place to stay that is close to most of San Miguel's downtown attractions.

This is a very affordable hotel in a town known for its expensive boutique hotels. A double room for 1-2 people is $350 pesos (about $25 USD). The most expensive room houses six people (3 double beds) for $720 pesos (about $ 51 USD).

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Arts and Culture
  • Written March 18, 2009

• dtimoske profile photo dtimoske
  • Reviews: 45

Casa de los Paseos: San Miguel Condo

A comfortable condo with helpful, bilingual owners. They gave me great advice on things to do and made sure I had everything I needed. I'll definitely stay here again if it's available.

great tile work, comfortable beds, cable tv, house cleaning, towels and linens, nice balcony.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Golf
  • Written May 4, 2008

outside

• Laura_Mexico profile photo Laura_Mexico
  • Reviews: 644

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa de la O: A nice cozy house not far from downtown

This is a nice guest house run by an old lady who used to get her customers by relying on personal references only, but who has started advertising her house on internet and newspapers lately and is now better known by both national and foreign tourists.

The owner is friends with a relative of my BF's so she gave us a special price and was a very good host during our stay. I must say the rooms are just OK, not fancy or anything, they just have the bed, a sofa, cable TV and a closet/drawers to keep your clothes. Private bathroom as well, a bit too small but enough. They cook breakfast for you every morning (freshly pressed juice, fruit, yoghurt, eggs, tamales and other mexican stuff) and they make your bed everyday -- but that's about it, because the linens & towels were not changed and the bathroom didn't seem to have been taken care of during our stay -- I even found a huge cockroach there one night..... which gave me a bit of a bad impression. However, it was a pleasant stay overall and we got to meet a couple of nice american tourists who were living there by then. It was just an OK and economic place to stay for the weekend.

This is a house with 5-6 rooms, a good sized dinning table next to the kitchen, an inner courtyard/patio with lovely trees and even a tiny pool (not heated, so it can only be used in the summer when the weather is hot) that is located in front of the owner's house (attached to the guesthouse and communicated by a back door) and is open for guests to use.

The regular price for accomodation here is around USD $50 per person per night (a bit less), breakfast included, towels and soap provided for the bathroom. No parking, in case you have a car. It's not too far from downtown so you're close to the main attractions, restaurants, etc.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 27, 2007

• Bethsoda profile photo Bethsoda

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Guesthouses/Apartments/or living with a family: General Tips

I stayed a month in San Miguel - Originally I was doing a language program and was set up through the program to stay with a family. The family was great but for me, with this being my first time and Mexico and being young and wanting to sleep in and go out at night - it wasn't the best match. This, however, is a great idea for people with a little less money to spend who are doing a language program and who generally would rather wake up early and go to bed early. Although I ended up spending most of the rest of my time in two different hotels, if I had it all to do over again I would've found a guesthouse or rental house. Many people who are staying for a month or longer do this and rent for a decent place in town can be as little as $400 us/month - AND at some places, housekeeping is included for no extra charge (although it is always polite to offer some extra to any help).

The other great thing about renting a place or paying for a guesthouse or more long-term accomodation is that most have some sort of kitchen or kitchenette. There were SO many times that I wished I had a place like one of my friends had with a refrigerator, a stove and a tv (even better if you have a VCR or DVD player). This way you can save money on food and drink AND you can have people over or just have a nice night in with yourself or with your family or special someone.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Work Abroad
  • Written January 14, 2007

• MartyD0626 profile photo MartyD0626

Magdalena's Bed & Breakfast Inn: Home Away from Home

San Miguel de Allende held many surprises in store for us when we arrived in mid-January, but Magdalena's Bed & Breakfast Inn stood head and shoulders above the everything else. Eva and Ismael, owners and operators of the B&B, have created a welcome haven from the hustle and bustle of this busy little colonial town, tucked high in the central highlands of Mexico. The common areas, including kitchen, dining room, living room and computer nook, are wide and airy, with high cielings and excellent light, and the rooms are well appointed and cozy, with large bathrooms and showers; closet and storage space are plentiful. The entire house is tastefully finished in traditional Mexican style, including talavera ceramics and other locally crafted items. The breakfasts were wonderful, including hand-squeezed orange juice, fresh-ground coffee, fresh fruit, bread and patries, and granola. Eva was also happy to prepare special requests to order, including huevos rancheros, chilaquiles and omelets.

Gardens bound the property front and back, and songbirds can be heard from the rooms throughout the day. No matter what time of day, there is always some part of the house that is comfortable and welcoming. It is a short, 3-block walk to 'El Jardin,' the center of town, which is the local hotspot day and night. But the nicest thing about Magdalena's is the people; they really made us feel like we were at home, with family. We look forward to seeing them again soon.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Arts and Culture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 5, 2006

Entrance Patio and Garden

• SuBear profile photo SuBear
  • Reviews: 2

Hotel Posada de las Monjas: Lovely view in SMA

Clean, comfortable, old-world charm, w/secure parking. Lovely hotel was a nunnery. Short distance from the jardin. Pay phone at entrance. No internet.

Slate-floored, tiled shower w/plenty of hot water and room for two, at least. Our room was next to a large terrace w/buena vista. Full-service restaurant.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Religious Travel
  • Written November 21, 2005

• VdV profile photo VdV
  • Reviews: 165

Casa Quetzal Hotel: Unique Luxury Suites

My mom & I stayed at the quaint Casa Quetzal Hotel for 4 nights via a package (hotel only) purchased off LuxuryLink.com for less than $900 USD. Included 4 nights lodging (our suite's typical rate was $250/night), tax, FREE laundry service, transfer from Leon or Mexico City airport , breakfast brought to our suite each morning, & a delicious dinner for two brought to our private terrace at sunset, complete with a 30-minute private serenade by local mariachi musicians.

The five-suite/two-room hotel is a historic building, & was originally opened as a hotel in 2000 by filmmaker Francesca Fischer, who originally conceived of the hotel as a calm get-away for fellow filmmakers. The hotel was recently purchased & is now run by Cynthia Price, an artist from Vermont, USA. Cynthia is present onsite, & sees to it that her guests feel welcome, receive personalized attention & service. Kudos to Cynthia and her staff (particularly Lupe, Rosa, Claudia, & Joel) for their friendly service; watch out for Frida, though--she seemed to be in a bad mood whenever we had to interact with her! Casa Quetzal also contracts with a local tour company run by Victor & his trusty crew of four (Victor picked us up from MEX, then we spent a day with Juan, & two days with Francisco--all very professional, well-informed and knowledgeable, very helpful & friendly.) Victor & his crew are happy to take you to Dolores Hidalgo/Antotonilco, Guanajuato, the local hot springs, & even to Teotihuacan & other sites within a half-full-day drive/tour. Prices for the tours averaged about $30 USD per hour, depending on the length of the drive/tour.

Casa Quetzal is a beautiful sanctuary, in a central location that is perfect to spend 3-4 days relaxing, enjoying the town & its surrounding environs. Each suite is unique, the service very attentive & friendly.

There are certainly cheaper accomodations to be found, but I would recommend this hotel to those who wish to indulge in a beautiful, peaceful sanctuary with a personal touch within San Miguel de Allende.

My mom and I stayed in the Zen Suite, located on the hotel's top floor. Our private terrace had stunning views of the town. The entrance to our suite was a set of French-style wood and glass doors, and had one-bedroom, a kitchenette (refrigerator, sink and microwave), private bathroom with tub/shower, and living room with fireplace and sofa/sleeper.

We enjoyed our time in the suite, except that in mid-April, the weather was quite hot (about mid-high 80s F), and since heat rises, it was quite warm in the evenings. Since the hotel is a very old building, there was no air conditioning, but the hotel did provide a floor fan and a portable air conditioning unit for us to use. Also, I guess the suite has a "romantic" ambiance, since the lighting is quite low in the bedroom and living room, but since I was traveling with my mom, we were both wanting for brighter lighting so that we could read, write, or just browse over our purchases/luggage contents in a brighter environment.

Breakfast was delicious each morning, and featured a fruit plate, and choice of eggs (prepared various ways, including ranchero-style), or chilaquiles, pancakes, french toast, etc. Toast, juice (orange, papaya or grapefruit) and choice of hot beverage (coffee, tea or hot/cold chocolate--my mother LOVED the hot chocolate) was also included.

Casa Quetzal is a peaceful environment, and the nicest part of our stay was the dinner that was prepared for us on our last night. We had a salad, delicious chile relleno, and a delicious caramel crepe (see my album). The mariachis were the perfect touch, and my mom had them hopping with her list of requested songs!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Arts and Culture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 27, 2005
Tip Photo

CQ's motto: "beauty, serenity, service"

• Aelena23 profile photo Aelena23
  • Reviews: 30

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hospedaje Casa de Huéspedes: Friendly, pretty, clean, bargain.

My Rough Guide said this place was a beautiful second-floor hotel. How beautiful could it be if it were also as cheap as the guide said? Pretty beautiful. The staff was helpful and friendly, the room was spacious and clean and had a balcony (whee!), and it cost 150 pesos. $15 bucks decided me...yup, I will stay over in San Miguel. Also, nice shower.

The down side of staying in the middle of downtown on Saturday night is, duh, noise. It wasn't so bad, though, and you shouldn't be going to bed so early on Saturday night anyway! Uniquely appealing to me: I am pretty sure this hotel is located a few doors down from the plaza where the "pistolero" sequence was shot for OUATIM. How am I pretty sure? Because...well, it LOOKS like that plaza. But on top of one of the buildings is what my book described as a "unique scallop-shaped thingie" (I paraphrase), and that is the building behind Antonio Banderas's head when he goes ballistic.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 22, 2004

• theresa474 profile photo theresa474
  • Reviews: 8

Rent a House!

We went with a large group, rented a large house and divided the cost. We found the house online, we stayed at casa de los cruzes. It was very nice, three stories, three bedrooms, 2 living areas, one outside, 3 different rooftop terraces. When you rent the house, there is a cook that comes every morning and makes you breakfast, delicious. The price is based on 6 people, per night.

The home is higher up on the hill so when you go up to the terrace you have a great view of San Miguel. Everything is also within walking distance.

• Related to: Budget Travel