Hotel Emporio Continental Acapulco

Av Costera Miguel Aleman 121, Fracc Magallanes, Acapulco, Pacific Coast, 39670, Mexico

Emporio Acapulco Hotel
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Never Stay Here

It was so terrible I don't even know where to begin!! The moment we got there, we were treated like criminals. Two out of five of our friends originally had a reservation here. Three of us had a reservation elsewhere and we were told our room wouldn't be ready for another few hours. We figured we would wait at this hotel until it was ready. The staff treated us like we were trying to put one over on them. They followed us around and finally dragged us to the counter. We tried to explain our situation, but they weren't hearing it. We explained our situation to the woman at the counter and she understood and said they would call us a cab when it was ready. Very nice of her. We tried to wait and relax by the pool and they wanted to charge us $300 pesos a person to hang out since we weren't staying there. We felt that was absolutely uncalled for...robbery!! We were a group of five staying in separate hotels. We decided to stay in one hotel, this hotel, since our friends booked through an online site and couldn't get refunded. We didn't want to keep running into problems if we wanted to hangout at one another's hotels. The young man who booked us was nice and helped cancel our other room at the other hotel. Here's were it gets REALLY BAD. Both rooms we booked didn't have working air conditioning. Both rooms were switched out for two more rooms with the same problem. One room had a toilet that was leaking onto the bathroom floor. Another room had their hallway flooded with water. We had dinner reservations for 9:30 and my roommate needed to iron her shirt. It took a great effort to find an outlet in the room. We decided to unplug the lamp and use its outlet. When we looked behind the nightstand, we were SHOCKED at what we found. The outlet was hanging on to dear life by its wires. Everything was exposed. We did not iron!! While we got ready to go to dinner the electricity went out!!!!! We stumbled around in the dark trying to put on our clothes for 45 minutes. We hoped that when we returned it would be working. We were sooo late for our reservations but they still took us. When we returned, we had electricity, no air conditioning, and to our surprise NO RUNNING WATER!!!!! This kind of stuff only happens in the movies!! This was still our first night so we decided to pack our bags and go to another hotel. When we went downstairs, the night manager was of no help and had no remorse for what we had experience. I swear this man didn't even have facial expessions. He refused to return our money. He refused to at least offer half off our rate. He said all he could do was give us 20% off. We asked to speak to someone who could make executive decisions, and he said he was it. We asked who his boss was and he refused to tell us. We asked for an 800 number or anything that could help us resolve our issue, and again he refused. He said he didn't have that information. We asked if he could look it up, and he told us that WE COULD LOOK IT UP. He was soooo rude. We had only been there 7 or so hours and it was hell. We took our loss and aggressively looked for another hotel. Finally we found a hotel with a reasonable last minute rate, The Crowne Plaza. It was heaven. The staff was friendly, helpful, and found it appauling what we had just experienced. They even offered us a suite and an extra little discound at the end for all our troubles. While the service at Emporio was not the Plaza's responsiblity, we were so grateful the Plaza tried to make up for it. From then on the rest of the trip was a blast. I will never, ever stay here again. This is the first time that I have written a review, but I felt obligated to do so. I couldn't bear the thought of someone booking here without knowing the truth about the service, staff and condition of the hotel. Please, please think twice before staying here.

Unique Quality: its located on the beach...i liked that

Directions: on the hotel strip

More about Hotel Emporio Continental Acapulco

can't wait to go back

I have read some unfavorable reviews of this hotel and all I can say about those reviews is that they are way off base. The service at this hotel was fantastic from the bell boys to the check in people to the hostesses to the wait staff to the bartenders and the maids. The food while not extraordinary was very good (personally did not eat at Tony Romas but some acquaintances said it was very good, did eat at the other restaurants). The pools were awesome. The beaches were cleaner than I had anticipated. The vendors on the beach were a little pesky, but hey we all have to make a living and a simple no gracias sends them on there way. This hotel is in the middle of the hotel zone so access to whatever you may need is very easy either by walking or taking a bellybutton taxi (volkswagons) they are called bellybuttons because everyone has one. This was our first visit to Acapulco but it won't be our last and I know we will stay at the Emporio Continental Acapulco Hotel. We were there in January of 05.

Holy Week + Spring Break = Nada

On my spring break, April 3-10, three friends and I ventured to the Pacific Coast of Mexico. The Emporio Continental is where we stayed. My first impression of the hotel was, wow. The hotel lobby and reception area are very impressive, marble, spacious, with modern seating. The sushi bar is a light blue.. well, it is before 4 or 5 long island ice teas, 6 or 7 coronas, and a pina collada or two. Check in time is at 3 pm, we arrived at 1, so we had plenty of time to check out the grounds and, well, the bars. We were not all inclusive, so we found the 2 for 1 happy hours to be the best times to get our buzz back on. The Palladium comes highly reccomended. Cover is 34 bucks but it is an open bar.

Acapulco was very different from other places in Mexico I have been. There is a 'real' sense of mexico here, it is a very large city, with people that are not there to cater to your needs, which is different than some of the other Mexican cities/resort towns. We went during the Mexican "holy week," and found it to be 95% latin and 5% american/canadian in the hotel. This caused my friends and I endless water volleyball games, 'Los Estados Unidos, y Mehico!' Which, unfortunately, we dominated to such an extent that it became boring, and had to find something else to do.

This could be a decent place for spring breakers, earlier in the season, and not at this hotel. Go with a studentcity package so you get into a hotel with a bunch of other college students. The cabanas out by the beach are very awesome, hang out in the hammocks, lay in the chairs, chase away the random dogs... All in all I enjoyed Acapulco, and the Emporio was decent to good, in my book.

Love It

I have been going to the Continental for the past 9 years and love it. The rooms are ok, but the location and cabanas on the beach can't be beat. Not to mention the hotel staff are all wonderful. I plan on returning year after year!

wonderful time

by TripAdvisor Member somethingspecialMich

I loved the Emporio. Awesome food and drinks. The staff is WONDERFUL, very friendly and willing to do anything for you. The beach is very nice, especially with the cabanas. The lobby area and front desk area very nice. I LOVED IT!!!!!!! I will definately be going back

Great Hotel / Really Bad Food and Service

We travel extensively (4 or 5 vacations a year). This is our second time to this hotel. This hotel is definitely one of the best in Acapulco. It is almost what you would call a "world class" hotel.

The only problem with this hotel is the unbelievably BAD food and service. The waiters could not get an order correct to save their lives! The drinks were almost never what we ordered (even with heavy tipping). Three of the four of us ended up with food poisoning at the "a-la-carte" restaurant (yes we all ate the same chicken dish). The lunch and dinner were so bad every day, they we actually ate outside the hotel the last half of the week, even though we had paid for an all-inclusive package.

I can honestly say that everyone that we met said that the food and service really ruined a great hotel - what a shame!

One last thing to mention which we all though was peculiar is that hotel guests are expected to pay for beach chairs and shade on the beach!

We had read that Acapulco had spent a lot of money in cleaning up the waters in the bay, which is unfortunately not the case. There are plastic bags and garbage still floating in the water (just like 5 years ago).

We noticed that almost every hotel in Acapulco was completely empty. I guess that too many people have found out about Acapulco now and they have told many friends how polluted and dirty it still is.

We will not be returning to this hotel or Acapulco ever again.

New Years in Acapulco

by TripAdvisor Member stylinsyk0

Going to Acapulco for New Years! The hotel itself is beautiful, the lobby and the bar is very nice. If you go with a group of people, you will not be together, they split you up. The rooms are nice, equipped with nice balconies that stand out to the pool or the ocean, depending what floor you are on. The food is the only bad thing. Many people didn't know what to eat, there wasn't anything there that looked attractive. The pool was great, very nice and clean. Go Jet Skiing and ParaSailing, very fun! Go to Mandara and Baby O's, Palladium is a lot of house music of you like that. Overall it was a great experience and I would come back to this hotel again, I lost weight here ;)

A little rough around the edges.

My wife and I stayed at the Emporio for a week in January. First the good points; the adult pools were great, the lobby area and bar were a nice place to sit and relax, beach cabanas were a nice option, and the location is right in the thick of the Condesa beach area. Now the bad; the food was average to bad, beds hard, and in general, the renovations that I've heard were recently done needed to go further, the place is still a little rough around the edges.

I would go back to Acapulco and even to the Emporio, although I would investigate better properties. If you want to be in the thick the Condesa bars and resturants the Emporio is not a bad option.

New Years 2004!!

Ok, here is the real deal with this hotel. I went for New Years with a couple of my buddies (22 years old). We went the economical way and got all inclusive for a bargain. At first i was apprehensive of the quality of the hotel till I arrived there. The lobby is beautiful, the sushi bar is gorgeous, and the rooms provide a great view of the ocean and the pool. The buffet food is horrible but the grill during the day is amazing, the best hamburgers, and chicken tenders not to mention they will make the drinks as strong as you like. As for the service, they wait on you all day long in the hot sun for basically tips. Our guy came and went and came and went all day long with pina coladas and hamburgers. The Adult pool is awesome and very clean. The only draw back to the hotel is the lawn chairs which have metal handles so you tend to burn yourself a lot when the sun hits (get an extra towel to cover the metal). Next, many of the lawn chairs are broken which is annoying.
Overall, not even because it was inexpensie but because it truly was a great hotel and this is my comparison to the 5 Star Horrible Riu Cancun that i went to last new years. I recommend this hotel 2 thumbs up with a clean modern hotel, fantastic service, and beautiful pools. As for the cleanliness of the ocean, they cleaned it up nicely after the Mexican Holiday week when it did get polluted. If you want an ocean, go to Cancun.

What else, ahh Palladium, see the devil of course, and Mandara where the music is 90's hiphop for most of the night which got annoying cuz its 2005 now.

And the security at the hotel is great and very friendly.

You get what you pay for

We were at the emporio the week of Jan 21/05 to Jan 28/05. There were both good and bads to the hotel as others have indicated.
The resort was a beautiful place. It was very clean inside the hotel and on the hotel property. The staff even though most of them had a hard time understanding english were very helpful. We were on the 10th floor so our view from the balcony was awesome. It was overlooking the bay. There is three pools. One is for children and adults and the other two are strictly for adults but the weirdest thing is that the swim up bar is in the children's pool. There is nothing in the adult pools. Our room was very nice you could tell they had doen upgrades to it in the last little while. There are cabanas on the beach that can be rented and there is a guy that comes around and offers coolers of beer. The beer was $2 a bottle and he is always there before you run out to fill it again. (This is not included in the all inclusive package) They also have jet skis and parasailing on the beach. We rented Jet skis two days, the price was $30 for a half hour a person. The water was so filled with garbage though that two of the machines got plugged with plastic and they had to be brought back to shore. The bay is very dirty. There is so much garbage in it and when the wind changes directions all the garbage comes up on shore. That was a real bummer. The beach is filled with Mexican's trying to sell you everything under the sun. This is nice to have available without having to go anywhere, but by the end of the week you want to tell them where to go because they do not like to take no for answer even if you already bought something from them. The best was the days they said "almost free today". We also went to the flea market which is directly across the street and we didn't find those prices to be any better then the beach prices. We went to a club 2 nights in a row it was called "Disco Beach" Wednesday nights are ladies night so they get in for $8 but the guys have to pay $30. The cover charge includes all your drinks. They open at 10pm and stay open until 4am. It was 2 levels, the upper level was outside overlooking the bay and the downstairs was like any indoor club. They play hip-hop music. We had a really goodtime here. There is only 2 restaurants included in the pkg, the main indoor one is buffet style and the snack bar outside. The buffet was not the greatest. They had a very minimal selection to choose from and evey night was generally the same food. Seafood is not included in the pkg at all. I expected to have more of a mexican cusine but it was basically our kind of food cooked there way. About 4 out of the 11 people I was with got sick from the food. The outside snack bar was good though. It was just hamburgers, hot dogs & fries those kind of foods. The drinks were alright too. I'm a corona drinker but did not drink a whole lot of it because it was very warm. You did not get the bottle they poured it in a glass for you. It was not the kind of corona I am used to. The rum and tequilla are very dirty, even the pop didn't taste right. We still managed to get drunk everyday but you really felt like crape after a day of their drinks. The worst thing about the whole hotel is that the inclusive package did not start until 11am and ended at 11pm. I have never heard of this before. Food was available from 7pm to 12pm. We did not like this. We planned on stocking up on drinks at the end of the night but they will only serve you 2 drinks per person.
Overall we got what we paid for and we did have a great time. I'm glad I went to Acapulco to have the experience but I don't think I would go back.

Confusing... Please Help

by Mikey64

I've read a few reviews and I am seeing quite a bit more so-so reviews than I expected. I'm a corporate pilot and we're going to Acapulco on Oct 18 for 3 nights. Looking for something close to a happening club, nice hotel with a view and a balcony, not outrageous expensive, and with a fantastic pool. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Re: Confusing... Please Help

by YVRDave

Try Hotel Emporio Acapulco

Re: Confusing... Please Help

by gomexico

Most hotels aren't going to have "fanstastic" pools because people tend to spend time on the beach, in front of the hotels (well, those people who want to be on the water). Fiesta Americana Hotel at Playa Condesa does have an excellent pool, and it overlooks the beach/bay . . . and rooms all have great views. The Fiesta Inn, slightly down the street from the Fiesta Americana, offers very good value, but I don't know anything about the pool. The hotel's website might have some photos. The Romano Palace, across the street from Playa Condesa, offers excellent value and is conveniently located. One additional thought is the El Cano - a nice waterfront hotel near the clubs . . . and with a very nice pool and rooms with balconies - 1/2 of which (the rooms) face the ocean (the other half the mountains). I suggest avoiding the Emporio - because it's mostly a timeshare property and also a bit less conveniently located (though not by much).

Comments