Hotel Gran Club Oceano

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Acapulco

ChipendalesChipendales

K-B shopping for a Man-Purse!K-B shopping for a Man-Purse!

Help me peanut! I need your special touch!Help me peanut! I need your special touch!

Samie catching a Siesta after lunchSamie catching a Siesta after lunch

Aquarium

by marchmonkey

We are cruising the Mexican Riveria with our two children, 12 and 13, as well as their grandparents. We have one day and evening in Acapulco, December 26th. I was wondering about the Waterpark/Aquarium since no one else appears to have mentioned it. I know by that point, they may be a bit exhausted of history, local shopping and "proper behavior". My idea was to do the waterpark early and then catch the cliff divers at sunset. Is this remotely a good idea? I also cannot find any prices for the waterpark. How crowded does it get? Any comments would be appreciated. From what I have heard Acapulco can be a bit intimidating when you first arrive with vendors and beggars and we want to have somewhat of a plan in place before arriving. Thanks.

by Vulindlela

We did not visit the aquarium but we do know where it is.
I think your plan will be fine.
If you are worried about vendors and beggars, I must say the only place we did see a lot of them was at the cliff diving site.
Hope you have a great trip!

Acapulco

by gomexico

You’ll be in Acapulco during one of the two busiest times of the year for tourism – the town will be “packed to the gills” with people. Maybe one exists, but I’m not familiar with a “waterpark/acquarium” in Acapulco. There’s a waterpark, and an acquarium – but they’re separated by a distance of about 25 minutes by taxi at that time of year.

Here’s a description of CiCi from the current online edition of Fodor’s guide to Acapulco:
“A water-oriented theme park for children, the Centro Internacional para Convivencia Infantil, fondly known as CiCi, has dolphin and seal shows, a freshwater pool with wave-making apparatus, a waterslide, a mini-aquarium, and other attractions. Transportation from hotels in Acapulco proper is provided for couples who book hour-long swims with the dolphins (it's easy to catch a cab for the return trip). COST: $9. OPEN: Daily 10-6.
Address: Av. Costera Miguel Alemán, across from Hard Rock Cafe, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico
Phone: 744/484-8210”

Fort San Diego (across from where the cruise ship will berth) will probably interest your family, and there’s a very good mask museum (with some other exhibits as well) adjacent to the fort.

For an idea of what you might see/do when in Acapulco, have a look at my online Acapulco photo albums:

by marchmonkey

Thank you. Your pictures are wonderful and gave me a great idea of what to expect. One other question is about eating - I have to admit the picture of the meat market kind of has me worried. I know to be careful of water and produce, but.... Any recommendations about making good restaurant choices. I noted the one from the slideshow, but do you have any guidelines. Thanks a lot.

by gomexico

The only suggest I'll make about meat is to order it cooked. The meat thing doesn't seem to be an issue in Mexico, personal hygene - and a lack of it by some restaurant workers - is something to be more concerned about, IMO . . . and the sanitizing of vegetables/fruits . . . and purified water. Don't always trust a restaurant that pours water into your glass from a pitcher . . . that it's purified, it's sometimes not, or not done well. Bottled water is what I recommend . . . or another beverage of your choice!

by Vulindlela

We ate meat right from street vendors without any problem.
I have never been sick from food anywhere in the world.

Travel Tips for Acapulco

Acapulco Tip

by daBertl

My fondest memory of Acapulco was not really a good one, but anyway. the following is an excerpt from my Latin America Stories:

Robbed, fined and stranded in Acapulco - The last days of La Gorda

On a Wednesday morning we left for Acapulco, a resort we all heard of and have seen shinning brightly in old Hollywood movies. We arrived over the hills to the north-west of the city, and slowly rolled down to the city's center. Once upon a time this resort was a stunning beautiful playground for the rich and famous, nowadays Acapulco is a large Mexican city that spreads out all over the surrounding hills and hosts a few 1960's style hotel bunker located along the Bahia de Acapulco. We found accommodation in a tiny hotel located in the center of old Acapulco a block off the Costera, the coast road. Although, the town seemed to be run down and has lost a lot of fame and glory of the past, we could still feel the charisma of this place and after a long first stroll through the town and along the coast far into the hotel zone we liked it and we liked to be there.

It was a hot day and we let it end by sitting on the small balcony of our hotel room, spilling down a few 'Modelos' and discussing the program of the upcoming days and weeks. Satisfied we went to bed after 2 A.M. to be woken up by one of the hotel staff only four hours later to tell us that somebody has smashed a window of our car. We immediately jumped out of our beds and ran downstairs finding the side window behind the driver's seat completely shuttered and the back seat of the car with glass fragments and nothing else. Since the car was parked right in front of a Mini Supermarket a small crowd of people stood behind us when we realized that also stuff that was inside the car was stolen. Other cars had been vandalized too, but no one seemed surprised. This was a very common happening in Acapulco as we learned from the Supermarket manager. We always left behind a bunch of unimportant items, such as towels, a cooler, and sunscreen. Since Baja California and the western coast of Mexico proved to be extremely safe, we had let our guard down when we shouldn't have. And this time we have the worst of luck. Stricken with a hard case of the flu, and tired, upon arriving to Acapulco Martin had for the once left in the car much of his photography equipment. He lost his newly bought guitar, shoes, glasses, a microphone for the video camera, many of his camera lenses and filters, and by far worst all the rolls of photography film, used and unused, which visually documented all the stops along our trip. Martin greatly lamented this loss for the photography represented an important aspect of the trip for him. With all the missing equipment he would have a hard time photographing and video-documenting in the months to come, but he tried to put the loss behind him. Besides these major losses we were relieved of some towels, sandals, a cool box, and change that we left in the coin tray for highway toll. We soon figured out that we could not do anything at all and that we had paid our price for leaving stuff unaccompanied in the car.

Packing List

by bellagio

Plenty of suntan lotion and afersun. A small pack of bandaid plasters is also very handy, in case you, like me, get knocked over by the force of the waves and get grazed by the gritty sand. An electric kettle is very handy if you fancy a cup of tea or coffee as you get up in the morning. Voltage and sockets are 110 volts, exactly as in the USA.
There is a large Walmart supermarket on the Costera Miguel Aleman, close to the Hyatt Regency. This is very handy for supplies, particularly if you are on room only. All the buses along the Costera run to Walmart (3.5 pesos is the fare) or you can walk or take a taxi.

How to get to Acapulco

by ephobius

By bus: many bus lines. Great service. About 40 dollars to/from Mexico City (about 4-5 hours). Also direct service from other cities.

By car: There are 2 highways from Mexico City: free and toll. Free is an 8 hours trip, lots of trucks. Toll is faster (just 4 hours) but expensive, about 35 dollars (4 toll booths). Choose your highway!

By plane: Major airlines fly there.

Parasailing

by Ricardo_J_M

You must go up!
This gives you a sight that you will be able to take back with you. I took along a water camera strapped to my wrist (I will load pictures once developed) and snapped away.

I was lucky (one way to look at it) because I got to go up twice. This first time I took off, the boat had trouble and I soon found myself glidding back to down. I landed a little ways out in the ocean! Yes it was refreshing. I was immediately beeing retrieved by three boats....unfortunately none of them contained beautiful supermodel lifeguards.....instead I was being manhandled by a middle aged man! But, once ashore I was given the opportunity to give it another try. It was truly amazing!

Let's face it, if you are a...

by flyingpig

Let's face it, if you are a tourist there is a good likelihood that you have heard of the cliff divers from Acapulco. If you think this is just a silly attraction for organised tours, you are both wrong and right. The spectacle is quite scary and their courage must be admired. But the place will be full of tourist cars too. Ask your hotel concierge about the times for the diving sessions and make sure you come a little early. Finding the location is not easy if you are on your own, make sure you get clear directions. Once there, you will have to pay for a place of choice. The restaurants overlooking the cliffs can let you in for the consumption of a drink, don't necessarily go for a full meal. Besides this, Acapulco is about the its endless beach and roasting under the sun :)

Comments