Paseo de Ixtapa s/n Lote 3-A, Ixtapa, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, 40880, Mexico

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• MarianneRules's Profile Photo

It worked for us!

Ok, there are some positives and negatives about this hotel. Let me start by saying that I booked the vacation for my mom and me through Travelocity. I chose the Dorado because is was not an all-inclusive and was priced in the middle compared to the other hotels/resorts. In short, I feel we got what we paid for. Would I recommend it? Yes. Would I stay there again? Maybe not. I would probably go for something slightly higher in price, or similar in price just to see the difference.

Unique Quality: Positives:
    Perfect location. Seriously, it’s in the middle of hotel row & across the street from all the little shops & restaurants. You can walk everywhere. If you visit Zihautanejo, it’s only 10 minutes away by taxi & the airport is 15-20 minutes away.

View. The View..yes..for the 3rd time…the View. All the rooms have an ocean front view. It is spectacular. It was like watching a postcard come to life looking at the ocean, beach, rock islands, etc from our balcony.

Service with a smile. The front desk, concierge, bell boys & cabana servers on the beach were genuinely friendly, happy and pleasant. We felt safe & welcomed.
    The bell boys called us a cab & paid for it when our transfer service didn’t show up to take us to the airport. They were proactive making sure we got to there on time. They worried for us so we didn’t have to.

Wireless internet access. Unfortunately, I had to plug in one day. I grabbed my laptop, sat myself down in the bar/lounge area, ordered my 2-for-1 happy hour margaritas, turned on the computer, my wireless card found the link & Bam….I was online. It was simple & easy & Free!

Negatives:
    The building is weathered. Its certainly not dumpy, but weathered. The rooms smelled a little like mildew, chalk it up to humidity. Even so, it’s a hotel people have made good use of…its just not kept up like the Ritz.

Food. Don’t bother eating here. It was kind of disappointing but made us grateful it was not all inclusive. There are plenty of places you can eat that are not on the property. The service was slow too, could be that’s a cultural thing? We did learn you always have to ask for your check. You’re certainly not rushed to eat, pay and leave the way we are in the US.

They don’t wash your coffee pot in the room and the bed wa rock hard. I figured out a solution. Since it was warm, we didn’t need to our bedspreads so I folded up it up on the bed to add some extra padding and slept on top. It helped.

So, to end on a happy note: We were satisfied, happy…good times for all !

Directions: On El Palmar beach

More about Dorado Pacifico Hotel

Great Family Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member traveling3

We just arrived from a 7 night stay at the Hotel Dorado Pafico in Ixtapa. Nov. 9th-16th, 2004.
Our stay was wonderful and our son loved it and wants to go back.
I have alot of suggestions, recommendations and notes about our vacation. I will be more than happy to communicate with anyone who is considering a stay at Ixtapa or Dorado Pacifico.

Need a lesson in customer service!

by TripAdvisor Member MelandJohn'sholiday

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights this past October (2004). Although the hotel is glamorous with all the bells and whistles of a 5 star hotel….their customer service lacked!

One of our frustrations was related to their Internet access. The hours available was limited, it was costly to use, and the set-up proved to be rather challenging with respect to being charged for the actual time used. Each time caused havoc and grief at the front desk and resulted in a negative exchange between us and the front desk staff. The room was fine, and clean. Their restaurant was ok – nothing to rave about, and it was mostly American cuisine. The best service came from the concierge staff; however the prices for their tours were costly in comparison to other tours in Mexico.

If I were to go back to Ixtapa I would definitely look at staying somewhere else. The Dorado Pacifico Hotel is NOT worth the $270/Cdn/night.

Overall, I found Ixtapa an expensive destination to visit as the prices were sky high! It felt like we were visiting a southern US city. If you want a real Mexican experience/vacation, then I highly recommend going to Mexico City.

DORADO FACTS

Good Things
1. Great Location
2. Charming
3. Great swim up bar
4. Friendly Staff

Bad Things
1. Not a luxurious hotel. Very Plain/Standard.
2. Elevators are slow.

Advice
1. Absolutely get the Junior Suite. Regular rooms are very small. Spend the extra money. I can't tell you what a difference it makes.

2. Stay in for lunch, go out for for breakfast/dinner.

3. Get a massage at the hotel. Awesome.

great hotel

Fantastic hotel. Exceptionally clean. The staff went above and beyond for the duration of our 6 day stay. The restaurants at the hotel served incredible food and no worries about proper food preparation. They let me park a rental jeep for free all week. Perhaps one of the best features of the hotel is how aggressively they work to keep out unwanted timeshare advances and unsolicited vendors, even on the beach. The unscrupulous timeshare vultures know this too because they will ask that you meet them just beyond hotel security---so they won't be recognized.

Great stay with Great Service

What a delight! We returned from Ixtapa on 7/24. The hotel service was exceptional, from the minute we arrived to the minute we checked out; the service, the view, and the food was excellent! The hotel location was perfect, right in front of the shopping centers and restaurants and the beach is right behind. Go to Cielito Lindo, for beautiful jewelry, you can absolutely trust the people, check out their website: www.cielitolindoixtapa.com. Let them know that Jessica and Albert sent you. Make sure to pay cash for a much better deal. DO NOT go to Ruby Jewelry, an absolute appalling experience, the owners are not even Mexican citizens, basically if you don’t spend enough, they do not want your business.
Oh yeah and make sure you change at the bank, right next door to the hotel, or at the hotel, you get more peso for the dollar. *****High fives for the wonderful vacation and hotel *****. We will certainly be returning to this comforting city.

perfect honeymoon!

We went to Ixtapa July 27, 2004. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Ixtapa. The service and staff were great. The rooms weren't fancy, but very clean and beautiful views. The pool is great and the vendors leave you alone on the hotel property. The location is ideal to shops, restaurants, and bars. The swim up bar has great food for lunch. Favorite place to go...loved Franks and go to Soleiatos for the best breakfast in the world!!

Will be Back Next Year, for Sure!!!!

Needed a romantic vacation and We got it !!! Just came back October 31. Since this is the slow season, we had the place to ourselves until the 31st which is their Halloween Celebration too in Mexico. We had our run of the pool and the beach. The waiters were great and the desk people were very helpful with all of our questions and requests. A small leak in our air conditioner made a puddle in the bathroom but when we called, there was a repairman at the door, with the right tools for the job, within 10 minutes. 15 minutes after that, all was well and we were left with a clean room with a great view of the sunset. The only thing that got to be a real pain after a while, where the timeshare/condo sales people EVERYWHERE! even in the restaurants disguised as waiters they would always try to steer you toward one of their "properties"

But, if you just keep walking, you will have a great to de-stress, relax, swim, and get into full Tequila Mode - will definitely be back next year to this property. But don't book with an on-line service until you check directly with the hotel. THey had some great pkgs that would have come out cheaper for us. All in all though, it was a great value.

J & D Fernandez

Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member NMDERBY

We just returned from Ixtapa on Novemer 13, 2004 and we all agreed this was the best Mexican destination yet ! We've been to Cabo, Cancun, Puerta Vallarta, and Cozemel and Ixtapa truly had it all. Beautiful beaches, friendly people, great food !
Of course, we went during shoulder season so it wasn't a bit crowded. They say the "avalanche " of people will start to come in December through March so beware.

The Dorado is in an excellent location. Right across the street are shopping and restaurants. Easy walk. They are right on the beach too with all the amenities you would expect. Palapas with beach service , a beautiful swim up bar, lots of great lounge chairs. The place is immaculate ! Rooms are so so. Pretty standard but the views make up for the lack of " luxury ". I suggest higher floors and in the middle for the best view. On the end toward the Krystal is noisy at night with Christines blaring loud disco music.

Tips: Take a taxi to La Playa Linda from the hotel, pay 3 dollars a person to have a panga run you over to Isle Ixtapa for snorkeling. Don't pay for an expensive
" organized " trip.

Food is really expensive! Great restaurants are Zapata's, Franks, Mama Norman's ( breakfast ) and for the view El Faro. Try ceviche in Ziua at any of the beach spots on the bay. Food at the Dorado is so so and pricey.

Take the sunset cruise on the sailboat. Really fun !

Adios amigos !

Not much here: just the ocean and the beach

by San_Diego_Evita

"The smallest Mexican resort I ever visited"

I went to Ixtapa to unwind. After 3 days of that (unwinding), the remaining seven days were sheer boredom. The small fishermen village nearby (Zijuatanejo) can be visited in its totality in about two hours. There are about 10 hotels and a few condos on the beach of Ixtapa. The sunset cruise on board of a sailboat is fun. So is a daytrip to the Ixtapa Island nearby.

"Carlos and Charlie's"

The place is smack on the bach. It has a small swimming pool. It is next to the massage tents. The drinks are very strong. In this photo I am sipping Chiquilique: a powerful coctail of vodka, Curacao Blue, coconut liqueur and pineapple juice. It leaves your tongue deep green for hours.

"Nasty surprise at Hotel KRYSTAL"

I made the reservations 3 months ahead, on the Internet. When I arrived, they informed me that the swimming pool of the hotel ("Krystal") was under construction. As I found out the next morning, not just the pool, but everything outside was under construction. The dust and the noise started very early and didn't let up until sunset. The cement mixers and the hammers were making a racket all day. Many other guests were as shocked as I was that this known hotel chain would cheat us all in that way and allow us to make reservations in spite of their renovation project. I told them I would warn others, so here I did. As for me, I just slept in Krystal and spent all my time next door at the beautiful Dorado Pacifico hotel. Please, see my "Travel Tip" for more details (look under "Hotels/Accommodations")

Hotel Dorado Pacifico - Ixtapa, great Hotel.Hotel Dorado Pacifico - Ixtapa, great Hotel.

VT Meeting Ixtapa Feb 14 - 19

by alfredop

Hi there, Happy New Year!

Will be visiting Ixtapa during Feb 14 to 19 on a long awaited vacation trip. Would be great to hang out with VT mates and gather up for a Mexican Style VT Meeting. Let me know if anyone will be around during that time to set something up.

Enjoy!

Alfredo

Re: VT Meeting Ixtapa Feb 14 - 19

by MookieStephens

Hello,

I won't be in Ixtapa,but Puero Escondido at that time.If your would like I can try to help you organize something if it can fit your schedule.

Mookie

RE: VT Meeting Ixtapa Feb 14 - 19

by fjc3550

just looked over your mexico travel pages, very beautiful. you seem to know alot about the area and my friends and I are traveling to ixtapa and leave tomorrow, yikes why didn't i do this sooner. any tips you could share about side trips or food or shopping would be helpful. i live on the monterey peninsula (california)and would gladly give you info if you come to this area. thank you in advance, renee

RE: RE: RE: VT Meeting Ixtapa Feb 14 - 19

Hello there!!

The following are the main beaches in the Zihuatanejo area and it is worth visiting them:

Playa El Palmar (This is the main beach at the main resort and hotel area)
Playa La Ropa Playa Las Gatas
Playa Contramar (some major hotels are located here)
La Playa Municipal (Located at the Zihua city center)
Playa Manzanillo
Playa Larga/Playa Blanca/Barra de Potosí
Playa La Madera (Make sure you visit the Casa que Canta restaurant, it is expensive but pretty nice!)
Playa Troncones Isla Ixtapa (best snorkeling beach)

Depending on your age, likes and time you spend there I would suggest the following:

- Skydiving trip
- Dinner at the yacht club
- Fishing trip (near shore or open sea fishing)
- Diving trip

Let me know if you have any particular interests that I may know about!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip!

Best wishes!

alfredo

RE: RE: VT Meeting Ixtapa Feb 14 - 19

by fjc3550

thank you for your information, we just returned on jan 10 from Ixtapa after a stay at an all inclusive Dorado Pacifico on the beach in Ixtapa. I was unaware that we would be staying in Ixtapa, we did visit zijuatanejo(excuse spelling) and the bay and beach were beautiful. Our resort was so beautiful and the food so good we did not venture out much, the green barrel, margaritas, daquiri's you name it and the food was fresh and authentic. I hope to return next year totally relaxing, we did para sail off the beach and went to ixtapa island and snorkeled off beach other than that total chill time. You live in a beautiful place and the people were friendly and helpful. muchas gracias, renee

RE: RE: VT Meeting Ixtapa Feb 14 - 19

by alfredop

I'm glad you like my country!!!

come back soon!