Playa Vistahermosa, Ixtapa, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, 40880, Mexico

Booking.com Splendia.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Very disappointing

Noisy and smelly room. Had communicating door with the room next door. Persistent sewage smell. Overpriced restaurants, bars and tobacco/gift shops. The beach is unsuitable for swimming and for kids. the actual patio furniture is very, very different from the one pictured in their brochures. Not all rooms have safe deposit boxes.
    If you want to be sleep deprived, to smell sewage stench and cigarette smoke, to be overcharged and ripped off, than Las Brisas is the right place for you.

More about Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa

Poco Loco Las Brisas

My wife and I returned from ten nights at Las Brisas on 18 February 2004. My wife and I have been to Ixtapa in 2001 and stayed at the Barcelo. We have also stayed at El Presidente in Puerto Vallarta in 1997. We truly enjoyed the room, pool, beach, shopping gallery, lobby bar, and service. Without an all-inclusive package (offered to Canadians only), though, Las Brisas is expensive but worth the money spent.The room is adequate. When we travel for vacation, we are rarely in the room. That is, as soon as we wake we are off to breakfast, the pool or beach, or off on an excursion. That said, we did not take full advantage of the spectacular balcony. The balcony has a very sturdy table with two white-stripped chairs, a plastic lounge chair, hammock, and two or three large planters with beautiful flowers. In addition, there was a bench extending from the wall covered with a boat-like white cushion large enough lay upon. The balcony is as big as the room itself. The room has a mini-bar, TV mounted in the corner, two pink arm chairs with coordinating table, and a twelve drawer dresser, a closet with a curtain made of heavy netting, and we had a king bed (very firm). Bats do stay on the balcony at night so it is best to close the doors before your exit to dinner. We did have a baby salamander visiting with us the last few nights. Sleeping is quieter with the air and fan on high and the balcony doors, equipped with blinds, shut.The pool is spectacular. We camped mainly at the "adult pool" area. During our stay, getting a lounge chair at the pool was never an issue even returning mid-afternoon after a morning excursion. Nevertheless, there are better places than others and getting there early will secure a dynamite spot. The very best spot is a spot for two. It is located in the southeast corner of the adult pool area on the level just below the pool bar. You will have to maneuver your chairs occasionally but the view of the pool and ocean simultaneously will make your day. There are several pools and I am sure there are more great spotswe simply stuck to our original area as it met our needs immediately. The white stripped lounge chairs (you knowthe white strips of plastic types) are comfortable but many are in need of replacement. Hard to notice though as many guests use to large towels to cover them for comfort. I recommend the Red Snapper with garlic sauce for lunch and Pacifico "con lemon." Make sure you use a 30 SPF sunblock the first few days, always use a 45 SPF Chap Stick for the lips, and don't forget to double-up the highest SPF on your nose and ears.The beach is marvelous. Same lounge chairs as the pool and plenty of bamboo huts to use for shade. The swimming is very good, as the beach is all sand wherever you are. No trash, no weeds, no "funny-stuff" to step on while in the water. Even the non-beach lover will enjoy their one-time in the ocean "to say they did it" while they were there. I am told that the length of the beach is about a quarter-mile, so about two down-and-backs will get you a mile of walking. Lots of little crabs on the beach at night.The shopping gallery is all you'll need. The gift shop and a few other specialty shops had prices as good as any in the market area of Ixtapa. However, the very best secret of the hotel is in this area, Las Miscelana. It's a small deli located just past the "tour rep" office. Great sandwiches at great prices! Only 35 pesos for a toasted ham sandwich and chips. Beer was only 25 pesos as compared to 48 in the bar. In addition, they'll make you toast in the morning and have little pastries for only 2 pesos each. Seriously, check this out before considering one of the hotel meal plans. Remember, there are some great restaurants in Ixtapa (one is Da Baffone). Happy hour in the lobby bar was 6-7PM. During happy hour, you'll get two for one drinks. This is important for two reasons. First, sunset occurs during happy hour and there is no better place in the hotel during sunset. Second, beer is 48 pesos each and Pina Collata is 86 pesosyou do the math using your drinking habits. Heavy or light drinker, happy hour is the best value. Senor Frogs is a fun party-type place to go in Ixtapa. Finally, the service in the hotel is outstanding. I suspect it's better because it is not all-inclusive. Nevertheless, everyone in the hotel is very accommodating and very professional. More than likely you'll make a connection with one, two, or three employees that will make your trip. Tip them well, 20%, and you'll find fewer charges on your hotel bill using the "meal plan" coupons. Overall, I'm crazy about Las Brisas! The hotel is first-class but so are the prices. I would love to go back but I would do my best negotiation before booking to secure an all-inclusive package. But, I'm sure I probably wouldn't win, and still go back to spend more than I want.but I'll get what I pay for. P.S. Book the snorkel & sail excursion and the sunset cruise... you can go to Ixtapa Island on your own.

Las Brisas - Great Vacation, Great Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Travel_Queen_Boulder

March 8, 2004 My husband and I just returned from a week at the beautiful Las Brisas Resort in Ixtapa. We had never been to Ixtapa before, and were very anxious to check it out. We usually go to our timeshare in Cabo, but we were looking to try something different. The Las Brisas is a lovely resort. It is set into the hillside and each room has a full ocean view with a balcony just as large as the room itself. The rooms are pretty average. We had a king size bed, two chairs, TV and a small dresser with just enough drawers for both of us.
The balcony has a table/chairs, lounge chair, and a hammock (fun!).
However, during the day, the weather was extremely HOT! It was in the 90's and very humid evey day. It's nice to get away from winter, but the heat and humidity did get to us after a while. We spent most of our time on the beach. It is very private and beautiful, and very clean.
Plenty of lounge chairs and palapas to keep you out of the sun. The ocean was a bit rough, and not really suited to swimming. It was nice to walk the beach. Back and forth about four times should get you a mile. There is a beautiful restaurant overlooking the beach which is a MUST for dinner - Las Brisas II. We saw the sunset and had a delicious seafood dinner while watching the waves crash against the shore - BEAUTIFUL! The other restaurants are OK. The Portofino (Italian) was excellent, however, EL Mexicano was not very good. The ambiance was great but the food was not. The Solarium (pool restaurant) was great for lunch. We bought a partial meal plan so we ate at other places in Ixtapa and Zihua. The Bucannero in Ixtapa was excellent and The Sirena Gorda (Fat Mermaid) in Zihua was fun! The breakfasts at the Las Brisas were teriffic. Plenty to eat, and omelettes cooked to order. All in all, it was a lovely place to spend a week. Weather was a little too hot for us. We prefer Cabo. It's dryer - less humid. The people were wonderful. Take the sunset cruise. You'll get to see everything from the water.

Perfect Stay

by TripAdvisor Member tailtony

Las Brisas Ixtapa is a world class resort. Located on a secluded beach You can enjoy privacy and a selection of various restaurants. The amenities this hotel offers is one of the best I have experienced. The terrace from the rooms are very spacious. You will spend more time on the terrace than the room. (thats why you go to Ixtapa to enjoy the outdoors not just the room ) Remember to watch the sunset and leave the blinds open before you go to bed You can hear the waves crashing along the shore. The walk to the beach is pleasent. This stay was perfect

The Gems of Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa

Just had a lovely first ever trip to Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa area and with not too much effort it was easy to find the "gems" of the area: 1) Our hotel Las Brisas Ixtapa was a great choice - conveniently located between both towns yet isolated enough to have plenty of its own charm and character - beautiful secluded beach, awesome ocean views, terrific landscaping, great pools, friendly service. lovely touches like hammock on each porch, all rooms ocean view, flowers on the bed - very good "bang for the buck" 2) Enjoyed two incredible dinners at the respective restaurants at La Casa Que Canta and the Puerto Mio hotels. Both of these properties are first class but very pricey. If you don't stay there at least dine there. The La Casa Que Canta restaurant has a wonderful view of the lights (and in our case full moon) over Zihuatenejo Bay at night and the restaurant at Puerto Mio is entirely different with its grotto type setting. Both very romantic and not to be missed. 3) Two great snorkeling spots - the beach at Los Gatos and Coral Beach on Ixtapa Island. 4) For real shopping finds, stay away from the Tourista Mercados and venture into the local commerical districts and the local Mercado Central.Only warnings: Great fishing is not guaranteed (we struck out - absolutely zero fish of any type after three days of offshore attempts) and you cannot trust the claims of purified water/purified ice that you will hear at many places - Montezuma's Revenge has indeed stricken some of our party.Would we return? In a heartbeat!

Great with minor flaws

We just got back from 7 days and nights at the Las Brisas Ixtapa. The vacation itself was well-deserved and very relaxing. The hotel accommodations were tremendous, although a far cry from the best-of-the-best. Rating the Las Brisas as a 5-star resort is a bit of a slap in the face to American hotels which may only rate three stars and are, in fact, significantly nicer. The rooms, as mentioned before, are not particularly large. The adobe construction of the building gives the whole resort a somewhat cheap feel. Also, be prepared to pay massively inflated prices for anything you buy at the resort, from the restaraunts to the stores. 150 pesos for a six-pack of Sol? I think not...

Other than those cons, however, the resort is wonderful. The atmosphere and the service are both superb. You get a very large deck, complete with hammock, which we used regularly. The resort has four pools, two of which are for adults only. The biggest plus was that the secluded location provided for an exclusive beach that was seldom crowded. The waves on the beach were just enough to supply action, but not nearly enough to cause concern. All in all, it is a great place to stay and we will likely visit again.

The secluded location does make for some interesting considerations. If you want a relaxing vacation, away from the hustle and bustle of town, than the Las Brisas is for you. If you want to be within walking distance of bars, clubs, and tourist markets, than it is not. Taxis have a set rate of 25 pesos to get to Ixtapa and 40 pesos to Zihua, so it is cheap to get from place to place, though. We traveled daily to restaraunts in order to cut down on the expense of eating. Unless you plan on spending a bundle, you probably will want to do the same.

What a wonderful place!

Where do I begin? We just got back from Las Brisas on Friday, January 30th, 2004 and both my husband and I were very sad to leave. We had an incredible time for the week we were there. We booked our trip through Tripcentral and paid just over $1100.00 (inclusive of taxes) for the all-inclusive and it was everything the travel agent said it would be. Every room (423 in total) has an ocean view with a huge balcony. The rooms have sliding doors that lead to the wonderful balcony and the view of the sunset is incredible from there. The restaurants at the resort (a total of 5 or 6) are awesome...the food was fantastic (even the buffet!). Access to the pool and beach is a bit of a hike, but a beautiful hike! We never found it too much and the people that did, had access to a shuttle. If you are looking for a swinging resort, this is not the place for you. Nightlife is pretty much non-existent at Las Brisas. They have a lobby bar, which overlooks the ocean. From about 6:00pm on they have piano music playing, which is pleasant, but that's the extent of the entertainment. However, the towns of Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo are so close (Ixtapa is a 20 minute walk and Zihuatanejo is a 10 min cab ride) and both have numerous restaurants and bars. Las Brisas has a total of 4 pools, 1 children's pool (which was never occupied by kids), 1 adults only pool and two other fairly decent pools. One was great for swimming lengths, as it was somewhere between 30-40 metres in length. The beach was a private beach and it was wonderful. We took a walk to the public beach and we were so happy to get back to our private beach. They also have a great workout room, with 6 spin bikes, 2 stationary bikes, 2 treadmills, 2 stairmasters and weights. We didn't see a lot of kids at the resort. Most of the people there were older (over 50). My husband and I are in our mid-40's and it was exactly what we were looking for. We will most definitely return to Las Brisas next year. The pictures on the website really do not do Las Brisas justice. If you want to see some other pictures, of other parts of the resort, please feel free to e-mail me at jacksond@bennettjones.ca and I will be more than happy to forward some of the pictures we took on our vacation.

The room was small and stark. There were night visitors.

by TripAdvisor Member j5son

If you'd blindfolded me, put me in the room and didn't tell me where I was when you took the blindfold off, I would have said, "This must be a Motel 6" . (No insult to Motel 6 intended.) It was small, it was stark. There was only room for one suitcase; our other one had to sit on the floor. The dresser looked like it had been salvaged from a rustic cabin. The balcony with the hammock was as large as the room (or larger), but when the sun started beating down -- about 11 or 11:30 -- it was too hot to enjoy. I certainly didn't want to spend much time on the balcony at night because every morning, there was generous evidence of who we shared it with: there was bat poop on the floor.While the design of the hotel is certainly attractive, it is definitely flawed. If one's neighbors venture out on the balcony or happen to leave their patio doors open, it's like they're in the same room. Voices reverberate against those sloping walls. Even with our doors shut, we were awakened numerous times. Although I prefer to sleep with the window open, we had to close it and leave the air conditioner on to mask the noise.We anticipated that the restaurants in the hotel would be expensive and planned to eat elsewhere during our stay. We were happy to see a small coffeemaker and accompanying coffee packets (the kind with pre-measured coffee, sugar, creamer, stirrers) in the room. Anywhere else we have ever stayed, these coffee packets are complimentary. We were appalled when we found out we were going to be charged $5 for this packet of coffee -- and it wasn't even good.Due to bonehead flight scheduling, our return flight was canceled. We were told we were going to spend the night at the El Presidente, an all-inclusive hotel in Ixtapa. When I walked into our room at the El Presidente, I couldn't believe the difference from the Las Brisas. A pleasant, spacious room (with good TV channels!). The bathroom, however, was in dire need of an update. We were pleased with how quiet the room was, despite there being an adjoining room.We booked our tour package to Ixtapa through Apple Vacations. We carefully considered the hotels offered in Ixtapa and, based largely on Apple's rating of 6 Apples , we chose to stay at the Las Brisas. I'm very curious to know how this 6-Apple rating was determined. We paid for first-rate accommodations and I don't feel we got them. In fairness, the public areas are very nice, well-maintained and clean; the pool and beach are lovely. (Apple Vacations has received a full account of our experiences. After 3 weeks, they still have not acknowledged my complaint.)

A Whale of a Time

by TripAdvisor Member DEDTAD

My husband and I spent a week at Las Brisas in February and had a fantastic time. The scenery was breathtaking, the food in the restaurants was first class, but best of all was the whale-watching.
Where did we do the whale-watching? From the deck of our room, from the lobby bar, from the sunset sailboat tour we took, from our room again, it was amazing! What a bonus to a vacation that was already fabulous.
We had a very relaxing week since the beach was never crowded-no need to head down at dawn to get a spot for the day. It was a pleasant walk into Ixtapa if we wanted to go shopping or to take in the nightlife, or a quick 25 peso cab ride if we didn't want to walk. We only had one meal in town as we were on an all inclusive package which allowed us to eat gourmet every night. Even though we had a $15 surcharge for shrimp and lobster, we indulged and it was worth every penny. Any shrimp or lobster that was in pasta or salad was not an extra charge, however, and the amount of seafood in some of the pastas was more than you get in a seafood only meal at home. A few tips to pass on. To avoid mistakes on your bill when on the all inclusive package, be sure to write "all inclusive" on the bottom of each bill you sign. If you plan to use the deck in the wee hours, leave the outside light on to discourage those creatures that keep the mosquitoes away from sleeping near the roof of the deck. If you have to change money on a Saturday, use a bank machine or pay a little more and do it at the hotel, it's not worth the wait at the only bank open that day. If you eat at the hotel, have at least one flambee. Bring binoculars, you can see some wonderful sights right from your room. If you want to buy silver, most of the silver shops will barter with you. Don't buy it in the tourist markets, it is poor quality (priced accordingly though). I also recommend the sunset sailboat cruise, we saw whales, dolphins, flying fish, manta rays and other sea creatures, not to mention the peace and beauty of a sunset at sea with the sails up and the motor off. It was hard to leave Ixtapa after only one week. It is definitely a place I will return to, the Las Brisas for an adult only holiday, Club Med or Melia Azul with the family (from what I heard about those two resorts from other people on the way home).

One of a Kind

by TripAdvisor Member GrammaZ

I won't repeat the many, many wonderful things about this resort, as my fellow Canadians who spent the last few weeks there have done, we couldn't agree more. This is one of the most relaxing and special places we have ever stayed at. Just will mention a few things for fellow Air Canada Vacation customers that they may find helpful.We spent from January 23rd to February 6th at Las Brisas and will go back again next year if they run the same type of special rate. As most of you know this is not entirely an all inclusive hotel as quite a few are in Ixtapa so this makes this hotel very unique. Only buffet is breakfast, the rest all a la carte. Very few people eat at the six great restaurants this hotel offers as the food prices are the most expensive in the area. Fortuanately as we are all inclusive we get to eat at them all.When we checked in we were informed that we would not be able to eat at Las Brisas II, the restaurant overlooking the ocean, as it was not part of our package. We were quite disappointed as Air Canada did not say we were excluded from this 5 star establishment, and we had read many favourable reviews of it. The Portofino and Mexicana restaurants are wonderful, but we really wanted to eat at Las Brisas II and not pay the price. On the Wednesday of our first week my husband went up to the restaurant to have a look and started talking to the maitre d' and mentioned that it wasn't fair we couldn't eat there. What do you mean, he said, of course you can eat here. They made a mistake at the front desk. Tell all your Canadian friends. Needless to say we ate there that night and almost every night after that. So if you are told at the front desk you can't eat at Las Brisas II, go talk to the staff at the restaurant. They also tell you the mini-bar is not included. We had them clean out the fridge and take the stuff away and then we used the fridge for our own snacks and cold beer etc. that we wanted to have in our room. If you are a scotch drinker there is no domestic scotch in Mexico so you will have to pay for your own. Only domestic drinks are included in our package. So we bought a bottle at the Commerical Mexicana in Zihuat (great prices) and had it in our room when we wanted it.Also, there is a supplement of $15 US for shrimp, lobster and rack of lamb. But it is only for the supper entrees that are exclusively shrimp or lobster. Shrimp cocktail for lunch and salads with shrimp and lobster are included, as are soups. There is an amazing Mazatlan shrimp cocktail for lunch in the Solarium Restaurant with about a dozen large shrimp that I must have had six times and never paid extra for it. We did find the fish and seafood in all the restaurants quite overcooked and not as what we are used to. Think it has something to do with the temperature of the water. Most of the seafood we get in Alberta comes from very cold water and tastes better. That was one of the only disappointing things as we love fish and were really looking forward to having it quite a lot.We were told upon arrival by our Air Canada representative (she is no longer there) that gratuities were not included in our package. That concerned us as when you figure out two weeks of 10 - 15% at the rates charged here you would almost spend as much on tips as your whole trip. I visited the local internet cafe and printed off Air Canada's web page for Las Brisas and they tell you gratuties are included. We left a few pesos most times, especially for something flambed and just wrote 'Included' in the tip space. The service is the best we have every encountered in our travels and they fellows really like to put on a show. You establish quite a rapport with them as most guests do not see them more than once or twice. After two weeks you want to take them home with you.As you sign for your meals even when you are all inclusive, you can keep a running tab of what you would have spent on food if you were paying for it separately. For two weeks, my husband and myself ate all our meals there, had a couple of drinks on the beach during the day, a drink before dinner and wine with lunch and dinner (whole bottle at dinner, they just bring it), appetizer and entree and desserts some nights and our total food charges for 14 days was $3,500 CDN. Considering we just spent $4,000 for the whole two weeks for both of us, that was a pretty incredible deal. Granted if you were paying for it, you wouldn't eat there all the time. But what an experience. Gourmet all the way. Sorbet between courses, the whole nine yards.I think the problem at the hotel is that they are still trying to figure it all out. Air Canada and World of Vacations are the only ones offering all inclusive plans. For once we get something Americans can't get. Some of the Americans we talked to couldn't believe the deal we were getting. They are trying to get more people to eat at their restaurants as they have a staff of 700 in the hotel, some of which are not very busy. So hopefully they will get some consistency and it is just a matter of figuring out the rules. Laundry is very expensive so check out the listed prices. I didn't and it cost me $35 CDN to just do a few things.One last thing, we found the most amazing English speaking cab driver who is extremely knowledgeable of the area. His name is Gregorio and his cell phone number is *******. He took us on a 4 - 5 hour countryside tour and charged $25 an hour. Most tours cost $60 and up per person. All the cabs in Ixtapa are small, maximum four people, but he just charges by the hour not the person. He also has a connection in Petatlan with a gold seller in the market and you get quite good prices. Well worth the trip.Promised I wasn't going to go on and on but I am still so full of our trip I couldn't help myself. I woke up this morning and expected to hear the surf, what a disappointment.

weddingmoon

by secunnin

i have been looking into getting married and honeymooning in Ixtapa. anyone have any input or suggestions on what resort/hotel to stay at.. i really like the loks of Las Brisas Ixtapa Resort but its not all-inclusive and i feel if we are going for 7 days all-inclusive is a better deal?! how is the Melia Azul Beach Resort for that? thanks! And lastly has anyone see someone get married their and was it worth 1000.00?

by madamx

Amuleto would be perfect for a small wedding. It's not cheap, but it's extremely romantic and special with breathtaking views; it's located in Zihuatanejo:

by alfredop

I would also suggest Casa que Canta, which is not an all inclusive but a very nice small luxury hotel.

Suggestions would depend on the budget for the event. Las Brisas is very nice, better than Melia Azul which is kind of old now.

regards.

by nospam

We were at the Las Brisas in June of this year. All Inclusive is offered at the Las Brisas. Eating and dining are quite expensive at this place, AI is the only way to go, IMHO. The hotel is really beautiful and romantic. Zihuantanejo and area are fantastic for daily adventures if you are so inclined. We had our anniversary dinner at the cliffside restaurant Il Mare - the best, highly recommended. I have lots of pictures and info on the hotel and area, email me if you wish.
Have a wonderful honeymoon where ever you decide to stay.

Comments