Melia Azul Ixtapa

Boulevar Paseo Punta Ixtapa s/n Lote 2, Ixtapa, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, 40880, Mexico
Azul Ixtapa
Orbitz.com Hotels.com HotelTravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 11% higher than other 5 star hotels

More about Melia Azul Ixtapa

Hotel Melia-Azul...

by bonmse

Hotel Melia-Azul (all-inclusive) This place is for families. On this trip I was accompanied by my mom, two sisters, brother and 10-year old nephew. The nephew was in paradise.

Sol Melia Ixtapa All inclusive!

by deadites about Sol Melia Ixtapa

This was an amazing place to stay and the package I got from AeroMexico made it ridiculously cheap!

I stayed there for 4 days and loved every minute of it! They have daytime programs for the children which enables the adults to get some time off.. The food is amazing! I needed to be wheeled back up to my room on most nights..

The Pina Coladas at the pool bar are a real treat on a hot day as well. I was drinking too many of them so I had mine "virgin" so I could enjoy the refreshing taste of pineapple and coconut..

The sunsets at night are well worth the visit...

One word Terrible

Stay away from the Melia Azul Ixtapa. First if you are at the website for Sol Melia and navigate to the Melia Azul Ixtapa, you will see a picture of the main hotel stretch in Ixtapa. Well the hotel is not on that stretch, it is pretty much in limbo, and the beach in the picture is surely not the real beach. The beach has black sand, the waves crash against a wall which is where the chairs are, umbrellas or huts, black sand with a lot of debris. Anyone who has been here can confirm this.
The water is not very clear as it is churned by the wave action. Again a very DIRTY beach, NASTY!!!! Rooms were average. Not much entertainment, and the staff was helpful, but not outgoing. Food was horrible, flys everywhere, and the quality and imagination were not there like other Mexican resorts. It was so bad we went back to the Airport, bought tickets to Cancun and finished our vacation there. I am really suprised at the quality of this property considering it carries the Melia name. Melia is typically pretty good.

Just average

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 7-night stay at the Melia Azul Ixtapa (3/29-4/5). It was my second stay at an All Inclusive resort so I knew what to expect. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style. Breakfast was good - you can't go wrong with eggs made to order. Lunch was not very exciting, basically the same selection every day, so I became very tired of it. Dinner was also buffet although with a 7 night stay you get two coupons for the 2 more upscale restaurants. I was hoping for a lobster dinner at least once but no luck. We went to the Oyster Bar restaurant twice because of the wonderful atmosphere but the meal was only so-so. Drinks were plentiful but ask for the top shelf liquor. It's available to you but you have to ask. Pools were nice and separate from eachother. The resort was VERY kid friendly with a kiddy pool and water slide area. Too many kids than what I was looking for. Rooms were clean and accomodating but nothing spectacular although we had a very nice view of the ocean from our balcony. We had a problem with the A/C leaking - it leaked 3 times that week - and getting the Hotel Manager on the phone was next to impossible. However, I must admit the maintenance crew came very quickly each time. Another couple had no A/C for 5 days and the manager was NOT very accomodating to them. Each night they put on a show in the theater - Mexican Fiesta, Fantasia, Broadway - it was something to do. I was disappointed they didn't have more music and live bands, just 3 times during the week in the lobby bar. Because of runoff from the river nearby, the beach was really bad and black when we got there - it was like swimming with wood chips. No sweage, so it wasn't unsanitary, just black dirt and wood pieces. We canoed to Ixtapa Island (kayaks are included) which is directly across from the resort to swim and snorkle. The hotel beach got better for a couple of days but I still would not go in it. There is a beach about a 5 minute walk from the resort but it was a little rough to srt is a $7 cab ride to Ixtapa and an $11 cab ride to Zihjuatenajo. I would have preferred to be closer to something. I plan on going back to the area next year but I would not stay at the Melia Azul because of far off location, beach and too many kids. Just my opinion.

Relaxing and Delicious!

Here are our thoughts and tips on vacationing at the Melia Azul Ixtapa. Our most important piece of advice is dont settle if things are not perfect. Do a little investigating and you may find there are more options available then you imagined. This experience is fun for the kids and relaxing for the adults. If you are looking for a party scene with clubs and dancing, you may want to try Puerto Vallerta or another touristy place. Hope you find this review helpful and have a wonderful time!Attire: Casual by day, a little dressier at night. Be sure you have nonslip beach shoes for the pool area, and tennis shoes in case you go exploring. On our way to Mexico we changed at the airport into shorts and thank goodness we did because it was hot when we arrived. The same with the trip home, we changed into pants and a windbreaker and it was raining when we got home.Hair Braiding: Leave it for the younger crowd unless you have long one length hair. And use same color rubber bands and beads, not multiple colors. A lot of people with short hair came out looking like Bozo the clown.Souvenirs: Just down from the hotel past the levy and alligators is a nice little flea market with the best prices we found. (Yes they have alligators and iguanas, good photo opportunity). You will find t-shirts, beads, baubles, bags, silver, hats, items for the house etc. And they will bargain with you. But dont forget to grab some postcards in the gift shop. Disposable cameras and personal items like sunscreen, shampoo, mouthwash, etc. are very expensive in Mexico so bring all the necessities you will need.Newspaper and Buses: We could not find newspapers anywhere except when we rode the bus into Ixtapa, .60 cents each way for the bus ride about 10-15 minutes long. There are many boutiques and restaurants available but a little on the expensive side. The buses worked just fine for us most of the time, but if we were pressed for time we would take a taxi for around $7.Laundry: Take a tip and try to wear your clothes for 2 or more d is a bit expensive $2.80 per piece and they do not have a do it yourself laundry.Rooms: They have various types of rooms available, 2 doubles, 1 king, junior suites, and suites. The type of room you get depends on how booked the hotel is and how nice you are to the desk clerks. We called a week ahead and asked for a king bed with a balcony and view of the ocean and we mentioned that we would be tipping for this. When we got arrived we had exactly what we asked for and tipped the person we had spoken to. Our room was very clean with new marble tile, a large cherrywood armoire, desk, sofa, coffee table and of course the king bed with exotic flower petals all over it. Very romantic! The view was gorgeous and the bathrooms had all the amenities including very large fluffy towels and hairdryers. The toilet paper and tissue were very soft and the only thing we found missing was hair conditioner, so be sure to bring some.Room Service: You really should try room service for one of your meals. We enjoyed breakfast on our balcony one day and it was fabulous. We had coffee, juice, toast and a great fruit tray. They set it all up for you on a tray when they deliver it to your room. The only thing you have to pay for is the room service charge. At the time of our visit it was $4 they wont let you pay in the room, they will add it to your check out bill.Food: We experimented with the food in different restaurants at the hotel and found that some were really good and some were just so-so. Once we found out what was good we had no problems. Most of the beef dishes were pretty boring, but anything with chicken was delicious. A few recommended dishes are the lobster bisque, shrimp tempura salad, seafood enchiladas and chicken parmesan at the Oyster Bar. Bring your camera the sunsets are beautiful there. At the Costa Azul we loved the Italian ambience and music. Definitely try the pumpkin soup, Caesar salad, and the lasagna at that restaurant. Mexico is not the right climate for wine making or storing, but they do have premium liqappuccinos, Mexican coffee, ice cream, half and half, bacon and tortillas if you ask for them. In fact we got just about anything we asked for from the staff.We ate at the breakfast buffet overlooking the pool everyday. They pretty much serve the same delicious items every day. You can have your eggs made to order, be sure to tell them how many eggs you want in your omelet. Beware of any green salsa in any of the restaurants, it is quite an adventure in itself. If they have any barbeques during your stay be sure to attend, the chicken and rice are really good. The snack bar at the pool level has the best French fries Ive ever tasted, try dipping them in a side of nacho sauce and salsa. The burgers were also very good. Pizza was pretty boring.Entertainment: Stay up for the shows in the amphitheater, they usually start around 9:00 p.m. We really enjoyed the Disney show, and the dance show. Dont miss the big Fiesta Dinner and show on the patio! The buffet was beautiful with every kind of Mexican dish you can imagine. We particularly liked the taquitos, guacamole, and chicken. The waiters dress up like cowboys and their guns are tequila bottles. They walk around passing out drinks all through dinner. During dinner there is a jewelry and craft show to wander through, but be in your seat for the Mexican tribal dance!Beach: Dont expect a white sand beach here. The sand is black and a lot of bark washes up from the nearby lagoon. Melia employees rake it daily to keep the beach neat. Your best beach bet is to take a water taxi $3 round trip across to Ixtapa Island about a 20 minute boat ride. The hotel made us bag lunches with sandwiches and fruit. If you like to snorkel check out your gear at the towel hut and take it with you. They also have 1 and 2 man kayaks that you can row to the island.Pools: We hung out at the pools almost everyday and they were just gorgeous. Upper pools are more shallow and best for families with children. The lower pool has a swim up bar and waterfall flowing into it and 2 center fountains withday in any pools or you can swim to the bar and order. Heres a tip, every morning by 9:30 go down and check out towels at the towel hut by the pool and lay them on the chairs you want to reserve them. If you do not do this you may end up in an area you dont want to be. Towels must be turned in by around 4:00 or you have to haul them to your room and turn them in the next day. In the lower pool near the towel hut they have volleyball at 11:00 and around 1 or 2 they have a fun water aerobics class to hip music. Everyday a fun activity is planned by the pools. It could be a beauty contest, dance lessons or a survivor contest, so listen and be ready to participate.

We had a blast

My husband, 3 kids and I just returned from a fabulous week at the Melia Azul. We have travelled abroad and throughout Mexico quite a bit. With the kids in tow this time we opted for an all inclusive.The staff was superb the rooms very clean and comfortable. We hung by the pool almost exclusively because the beach is not the prettiest. The kids did Banana Boat and Parasailing, golf and snorkeling. The food was ok, not a gastronomic tour of Mexico but just fine.The pool area was fabulous for all especially the kids. They joined the kids club which basically entertained them daily.We relaxed and had drinks. My son scraped his foot pretty badly on the first day and the wonderful pool attendants were there immediately and took great care of him. The children loved the entertainment and shows- Overall, very happy with Melia Azul and would recommend it to anyone especially those with kids.

Very pleased

I read reviews before I went so I knew what to expect. The service and cleanliness as well as staff friendliness was excellent. Lunch and breakfast was typical of Mexican hotels, and if you couldn't find something you liked, it was your own fault. Dinner left much to be desired although the gourmet restaurants were fine. The hotel said we could eat at each one only once, but if you ask, they'll allow you to eat there every night. This place is perfect if you vacation to read a book by the pool.

OK but could be better

I stayed at the Melia March 14-21, 2003 and would say that overall it was just OK. The facilities were great and so was the service. If your hands were ever empty, it wasnt because of lack of effort from the staff. They were very helpfull and polite. The pool was beautiful and never busy. It was always easy to get a chair in a good location. But if you are looking for the nice, white, beautiful beach, this is not the place to go. It was clean (no raw sewage like other reviews stated) but the sand was dark. Since I spent most of my time by the pool, it wasnt of much concern to me. Overall, I was disapointed with the food. Not much variety and not very good. EVERYDAY there was hamburger, hotdogs, fries and pizza at the pool. EVERYDAY! There was the buffet option but since you ate your evening meal there 5 of 7 days it got old. Breakfast was pretty much the same everyday also. One day we got french toast instead of pancakes. The breakfast sausage was like small oscar meyer hot dogs and usually cold. Bacon and butter must be a premium because you saw it very seldom. The evening buffets were ok but also lacked variety. I will say that the two better restaurants were excellent but you only get to go 2 times on a 7 night stay. In the evening there were some Las Vegas type shows that were pretty good. But, in the only bar oopen in the evening, the house band only played 3 nights and pretty much only Mexican music. American music wasnt heard much. Most nights the bar was wmpty by 10pm. So, if yu are looking for a wild time, this is not the place to go. Overall, I would say the resort was ok. Im glad I went but I guess if someone asked if I would go back, I would probably say no. But for the price I paid it was OK

Not worth the money

The rooms were nice and clean. The pool side bar made good tropical drinks. The staff for the most part were hard working and friendly. The food was less than impressive, ( Think 9th grade home economics food project ). The beach was nasty. It was not a good value. Very secluded needed to Taxi every where to explore the area. Would not stay there again. Many better options down the road, and in Zihuat.

bonmse's Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo Page

by bonmse

These are pictures of my family's trip to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo Guerrero during the month of June 2001. In the picture above the First Division team La Piedad was doing pre-season training on the beach next to the Melia Azul hotel.

Comments