Blvd Ixtapa s/n Lote 5, Ixtapa, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, 40880, Mexico

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Tesoro Ixtapa

Rescheduled due to Cancun Hurricane

by TripAdvisor Member qualitydiva

My husband and I were scheduled to stay in Cancun, but due to the Hurricane decided to try Ixtapa. We have been vacationing in Mexico for several years now and always do the all-inclusive option. In comparison to other resorts that we have stayed at the food was above average and we were always waited on promptly for drinks and refills. Even though the buffet has different "theme" nights it pretty much tasted the same every night. Our room was on the 4th floor facing the outdoor stage and the Krystal resort. We did not go to the shows, but we could hear them from our room. They usually ended by 10:30 so it didn't effect our sleep. The room was clean, but as with every beach resort sand gets tracked in like crazy. The bed was hard, but I've never slept in a soft Mexican bed. Our air conditioner worked so well we actually had to turn it on low at night or we would freeze. My only complaint about the room is that I would have liked a love seat or chair to sit on to watch TV at night.
My favorite beer is Sol which they have on tap. I especially liked the 24 hour service room which is a little difficult to find, it is down some stairs directly behind the towel check out and snack shack. We took large cups to use, so we could get a large cup of soda and take it out to the beach in the morning before the pool bar opened.
The pool was to be avoided unless you had kids. The childern controlled the pool, floaties, squirt guns and cannon balls were going on non stop on both levels. Not to mention the gross diaper only little ones. We stayed down by the beach where the surf is a little rough for small childern. The bar service at the beach was great, we would tip $5 first thing and then if they were really good another $5 when we went back to our rooms at the end of the day. I don't like the standard lounge chairs so I was very happy to see Adirondack style chairs with cushions. The beach was good the surf was a bit rough and the life guard would blow his wistle at you if you went beyond the break. There was a turtle release cerimony the first night we were there. That was very interesting to see.
We did not venture too far from the hotel, it was so very humid and hot that we felt drained after just 15 minutes.

A great stay

by TripAdvisor Member binky13

We just returned from the Costa Real Ixtapa(now called the Tesoro)Jan 5 2006.We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel,even though it was at their busiest time of the year.Many of the reviews I had read were accurate, as in this hotel was not new,but was clean and tidy,with excellant staff,who were always smiling and eager to help.The food was very good at the buffet,but being a smaller hotel than others we have stayed at,didn't have as much selection as we have seen at other hotels.As we usually find,a small tip goes a long way with getting prompt service and some heartfelt thank you's.The beach was great and you could walk forever in either direction,but the surf could be a bit rough.The town of Ixtapa was very safe and the is quite a bit of shopping within easy walking distance.Also a short public bus ride to Zihuatanejo gives you much more variety for goods and services.The massages on the beach just north of the hotel were great and only 10$US per hour.I golfed at the marina course with the discount from the hotel but it was still pricey at 75$US for 18 holes and 40$US for club rental(taylor made clubs).I found it challenging with some very tricky greens.In all we liked the hotel and the area and would definitely go back again.

Not a 4 star maybe a 3 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mississippi54

My wife and I stay at Tesoro [costa real] for a week and just returned.We had a nice room on the 7th floor with a great view.No wash cloths or kleenex in the rooms. I heard a lot of problems with rooms but ours was ok.The the waiters and bartenders were great but there were some things that I thought kept this from being a 4 star hotel.The pool bar was small and the only one to get served at during the day.If not in the water you had to stand in line by the waiters to get a drink or wait for a waiter to get your order.The 24 hour bar where you could get beer anytime ran empty Sat. and the staff said it could not restock it till Monday. That was Monday night with warm beer.Tues they got it fixed.The other bar opened in the lobby at 5:00pm.with a great staff.The restrooms by the pool were full of mosquitoes so be fast. The weather was great and everything else including the massage for $10.00 up the beach to your right. The last massage tent.

Not what we expected

by TripAdvisor Member nanticoke

Flew from Toronto Jan.19th with Skyservice/Sunwing.
All inclusive deal with problems. The travel brochure should have stated: Do not swim in Ixtapa, or you could get hurt! While we were there, one person broke his leg, and another his neck!!!
Our room was ok, but no view to speak of. The fridge was in need of defrosting. They restocked it daily with 2 Sol beer, 2 waters and pop.
The buffet restaurant was boring after the first meal. The food was always cool to warm, never hot. Maria restaurant was very good, and Hot!
We definitely enjoyed eating elsewhere.
The staff was very friendly, and appreciates any tips.
Drinks were fine. Rafael at the beach was awesome, always asking us 'everything ok?'.
The weather was perfect, maybe even too hot. There's lots of lounges and chairs, but people reserve more than they need, so you may think there isn't enough.
Walking on the beach is an easy half hour each way.
Beautiful sand. Too bad the water isn't safe for swimming.
My opinion, it's a 3 star. Barcello looked nice.

Now the Tesoror, Stay away from this one!

My family & I just returned back from a 1 week vacation in the Tesoro Hotel(formally Costa Real. We arrived ready to check into our two 1 bedroom suites that we booked and paid for and were put into the basement(1 floor below 1st floor in 2 standard rooms) We were told we would have to get the difference of $400 back through our Travel Agent(that's me) or we could stay there for 4 nights and they would move us. Our 1st night in the basement room found us with a phone that did not work, a t.v. that did not work, a minibar that would not open, our bathroom flooded from the drain in the floor, but best of all there was fecal remains from past guests on the side of the tub.(i left it there so the management could see) The next day after a lengthy debate with the manager a room was found for us. It had two bedroom so they wanted to put all 6 of us in to it inclusive of my parents. A few days after they came and found me and told me they would have to move us again as they needed it for one of their time share clients. My husband my kids and I were put into someones private 1 bedroom condo. They were clothes in the closets and the drawers and mountain bikes in the bedroom. My parents received a standard room.(again they paid for a 1 bedroom suite)
As a Travel Agent I have stayed in many different kinds of properties and as with anything you take the good with the bad each property has its strengths and weaknesses. The only strength I found at this property was their hamburgers in the snack bar and most of the staff was really friendly. This Hotel's biggest weakness its the food quality and variety. We ended up eating most our dinners out and all of our lunches at the snack bar. I would rate this Property as a 2 1/2* maybe 3* and I would not put any of my clients there.
Donna from Sechelt, B.C.

Kopado's barKopado's bar

Pantla beach facing southPantla beach facing south

Ixtapa ViewsIxtapa Views

A view of the bay, in front of the hotelA view of the bay, in front of the hotel

Local Fun

by SPGroup

what type of local activities go on, like is there a city market type thing?

RE: Local Fun

by gomexico

Elsewhere on this VT website you'll find some excellent recommendations for Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa provided by contributors, as well as other promotional material. Paste the following www address into the "address" bar on your computer and you'll see what I'm talking about:

RE: Local Fun

by AnnaLupilla

HEY THERE.
In Ixtapa you can go cycling, SCUBA diving, play golf, yachting, minigolf or horseback riding. also there is an aquatic park, magic world, and the dolphinarium ... ah by ther way: there are BEACHES!
In Zihuatanejo you can check out the museo arqueologico de la costa grande, some more beaches, SCUBA and sportfishing.
YOU'RE WELCOME.